OT: Nhl 18

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Im sure we have a thread for things like this but i went through 4 pages and got tired of looking, anyways how fo you guys feel about the game? I think they ruined framchise mode the way they butchered everyones overalls, the only thing i like on the game is eashl, just curious to know how everyone else likes the game

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't play franchise mode, but I play a lot of versus and they gotta do something about the poke checks/stick lifts. The success rates are crazy high and very few penalties are called to offset the spamming kiddies.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Loving this game so far. Put in about $40 to start to get enough contracts for the year, but realized that was a mistake cause I could have pulled everything from solos. The solos are fun and its fun to grind them and the rewards are really good.

7-0 so far online but the poke checks need work like always

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
Im sure we have a thread for things like this but i went through 4 pages and got tired of looking, anyways how fo you guys feel about the game? I think they ruined framchise mode the way they butchered everyones overalls, the only thing i like on the game is eashl, just curious to know how everyone else likes the game

I actually really like the changes to franchise mode. The change in ratings really doesn't mean much. Its the same system with lower overalls. Its nice being able to play a top three pick the season after you draft them as well. The change to the ui is also pretty refreshing imo.

Make sure you don't look at someone the wrong way or even breath in their direction though because they'll trip and you'll have to spend a whole period killing off penalties.

Pablo Sanchez

The Secret Weapon
Oct 17, 2011
Nj
I don't play franchise mode, but I play a lot of versus and they gotta do something about the poke checks/stick lifts. The success rates are crazy high and very few penalties are called to offset the spamming kiddies.

I've had a very different experience

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ill be buying it next week. In the 3rd round of my Season Mode in 17 so I figured id finish that first.

Btw..Oskar Lindblom is really good in NHL 17 for some reason. They must have peered into the future.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I've had a very different experience

May depend on the game mode. I only play online.

I've had the game since Tuesday and I've played about 20 versus games and that's what I've found. I say this as someone who strictly plays defense in EASHL too. The poke checks are so good it makes the new defensive skill stick useless. All you do is wait for the puck carrier to get in your range and boom, puck off the stick every time. And the blind pokes that block every pass are annoying too. I'm sure there will be a tuner, hopefully they can find a balance.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I play on PS4.

I've played a bit of the threes mode, it's fun an entertaining.

HUT, I'm so down from last year. I don't know what to think yet..

EASHL, me and a friend have been playing 3v3. I enjoy it.

Hurricane28

Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I play on PS4.

I've played a bit of the threes mode, it's fun an entertaining.

HUT, I'm so down from last year. I don't know what to think yet..

EASHL, me and a friend have been playing 3v3. I enjoy it.

HUT is miles better this year and you don't need to swoon money to get good I've made 150k coins from solos (that includes selling my pack pulls which include Gaudreau, Pasta, and Pavelski). The packs are definitely juiced for solos

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
They made it slower and changed how the poke check works. Literally the only differences from 17. Not a good game.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
HUT is miles better this year and you don't need to swoon money to get good I've made 150k coins from solos (that includes selling my pack pulls which include Gaudreau, Pasta, and Pavelski). The packs are definitely juiced for solos

It's probably cause my team is trash [just starters], but I can't even gold star the 75% faceoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I have not no gotten it yet but I plan on it probably later today. I pretty much only play franchise mode. These HUT things and everything I really don't understand the appeal. Just let me win the Cup with the Flyers and wheel and deal some trades.

Expansion mode sounds fun too. All Star Baseball on PS2 had a similar mode back in the day (2003 or 2005 I think) and that was pretty sweet.

Hurricane28

Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
It's probably cause my team is trash [just starters], but I can't even gold star the 75% faceoffs.

I pulled good faceoff guys early like Kopitar and O'Reilly. If you're struggling what I heard you can do is turn down the sliders in the main menu and it transfers to HUT. Kind of cheating but I did it for the one I had to score 2 shorthanded goals

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
So far so good, but I like the rosters to be completely accurate from top to bottom (mainly because we have great prospects now), so I went through and had to create a few guys.

One I can't figure out is Sandstrom. He's on Brynas. It says the Flyers drafted him, but he's not in the system when you play as the Flyers, and he's not a signable FA. If you exit Franchise mode and go to edit him, you can't change who his current team (parent club?) is. Soooooo I have no idea how to get him on the roster.

Normally I wouldn't care if it was a guy who was Fedotov or Madsen level...but the guy could legitimately be our future #1 someday. Annoying.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I wish they went back to customizing your online guy's skills. I do like the fact that they let you pick your position before going into a lobby so you aren't fighting to get your position.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
so is Franchise mode even close to the level of Madden or NBA 2k? if it's still the same trash as last year besides different overalls and a new interface I don't think I'll bother buying it. I got NBA 2k for Christmas after getting NHL 17 last year and am not even a big NBA guy but I think I played nhl for maybe 3 days after getting it. the franchise mode is just so smooth and realistic compared to nhl. i currently feel the same about the new Madden compared to nhl. other sports games are just so far ahead in the franchise department that I don't think I could go back to how awful NHLs is in comparison even though hockey is my favorite sport.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I pulled good faceoff guys early like Kopitar and O'Reilly. If you're struggling what I heard you can do is turn down the sliders in the main menu and it transfers to HUT. Kind of cheating but I did it for the one I had to score 2 shorthanded goals

Ehhh. I don't really want to resort to that. It's just annoying, don't add faceoff as a goal when the teams are still bad.

My top line is like Sharp / Boyle / Calvert.. Lol.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I made the 32nd expansion team (Portland Aliens) and my first year we were worst in the league (picked Dahlin who was ready to jump right in on my third pair). The guys you have to pick from are worse than what Vegas had because they already took most of the best players unprotected. So my team was absolute trash. My best player was Shattenkirk who I signed for a 2 year deal.

In my third year and I offersheeted Marner and signed Couture and Panarin. Now my prospects have developed by a few points so they're mostly at least 80 and my defense is pretty solid too. I actually have a contender already.

It certainly didn't feel possible after my first two years but i got pretty lucky with the free agents that became available and i had 30mill in cap to spend.

Having a lot of fun so far. I really really like the defensive skill stick. Great for eating up space and pushing guys to the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00