NHL 14 Suggestions

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
I understand its quite early (NHL 13 hasnt even been released yet), but the sooner we get ideas out there the more likely EA Sports will see and impliment them (although im not very optimistic about it).

Anyways my suggestion should be personal player traits. Every player in the game right now feels the same, with the difference of stat ratings and size. We know in real life all players a little different in some ways and some players have unique traits that make them good.

Im talking about little things like Gaboriks quick release, Hamhuis' hipcheck ability, Shea Weber and Chara's shots being far out more powerful than anyone else, Tim Thomas's agressive and unique goalie style, RNH ability to avoid cheks even though he has such a slight frame, Briere's ability to roof pucks when so close to the net, Lucic being the mean SOB that he is. Its stuff like this that we cant get in the game right now, and in my opinion, would make the game far far better.

That was just a short list of traits too, there are far more that others would likely know better than me. One more pet peeve of mine is everyone skates the same way, when players clearly skate in different ways. Taylor Hall uses that wide, low skating puck ahead of you method that was implemented for everyone in NHL 13, but Ovechkin on the other hand uses short powerful strides.

Anyways thats just one of my suggestions, post what you have to offer.

umad

Mar 23, 2012
Milky Way
Menu interface like FIFA's.

As in, you can switch between free skate and the main menu, plus free skate while loading for a game.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Multiple dressing rooms for EASHL..

My team has 16 ish members and usually a max of 7 or so are on at one time.. But there's been times where there's been 10 or 11 on at a time..

It's just a pain in the ass

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I am about to go to sleep but before I do I will say too

Better commentary and presentation. Yes supposedly NHL 13 has better presentation but they should do more TV like presentations. Show players arriving at games, interviews in between periods....etc... IDK know they took away 3 stars skating out when they did 12. Maybe even do some sort of fake tv show or news media generator like 2K sports used to do with football games.

Fix fighting IDK why guys all a sudden disappear during fights and not all fights are knock outs either...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I understand its quite early (NHL 13 hasnt even been released yet), but the sooner we get ideas out there the more likely EA Sports will see and impliment them (although im not very optimistic about it).

Anyways my suggestion should be personal player traits. Every player in the game right now feels the same, with the difference of stat ratings and size. We know in real life all players a little different in some ways and some players have unique traits that make them good.

Im talking about little things like Gaboriks quick release, Hamhuis' hipcheck ability, Shea Weber and Chara's shots being far out more powerful than anyone else, Tim Thomas's agressive and unique goalie style, RNH ability to avoid cheks even though he has such a slight frame, Briere's ability to roof pucks when so close to the net, Lucic being the mean SOB that he is. Its stuff like this that we cant get in the game right now, and in my opinion, would make the game far far better.

That was just a short list of traits too, there are far more that others would likely know better than me. One more pet peeve of mine is everyone skates the same way, when players clearly skate in different ways. Taylor Hall uses that wide, low skating puck ahead of you method that was implemented for everyone in NHL 13, but Ovechkin on the other hand uses short powerful strides.

They'll never do that because it would require EA to actually know something about hockey...

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I want a complete presentation overhaul. New menu systems, commentary, a brand new look to the game:

1. Free skate for EASHL. Its about ****ing time this was added in.

2. New announcers - go to Doc's house and have him record commentary for 3 hours please. If this is the only new feature in the game I'd buy it on release day, that is how tired I am of the current commentary team.

image1.jpg

3. Be A GM presentation overhaul - How is it that the above picture is from a game made in 2003 and yet in 2012 we have a boring ass Be A GM mode with generic looking menus?? I want them to bring back the GM office from NHL 2004. I loved being able to customize the office and get better digs the more my team won. It was really cool. Make arenas not always 100% sold out (depending on market). Show intermission reports, mid-week regular season updates for teams around the league, make it all feel REAL. Like there is some imaginary world out there that actually cares about what is going on in your very own version of the NHL.

4. New gameplay presentation: I want new intros, I want three stars, I want new commentary (as mentioned), new camera angles, make the game look and feel like a real broadcast.

5. NEW LONG STANLEY CUP CELEBRATION SEQUENCE - Allow us to skate around with the cup, make the whole ordeal long, for Be A GM players many of them spent hours upon hours reaching this goal, make it feel special.​

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I want a complete presentation overhaul. New menu systems, commentary, a brand new look to the game:

1. Free skate for EASHL. Its about ****ing time this was added in.

2. New announcers - go to Doc's house and have him record commentary for 3 hours please. If this is the only new feature in the game I'd buy it on release day, that is how tired I am of the current commentary team.

image1.jpg

3. Be A GM presentation overhaul - How is it that the above picture is from a game made in 2003 and yet in 2012 we have a boring ass Be A GM mode with generic looking menus?? I want them to bring back the GM office from NHL 2004. I loved being able to customize the office and get better digs the more my team won. It was really cool. Make arenas not always 100% sold out (depending on market). Show intermission reports, mid-week regular season updates for teams around the league, make it all feel REAL. Like there is some imaginary world out there that actually cares about what is going on in your very own version of the NHL.

4. New gameplay presentation: I want new intros, I want three stars, I want new commentary (as mentioned), new camera angles, make the game look and feel like a real broadcast.

5. NEW LONG STANLEY CUP CELEBRATION SEQUENCE - Allow us to skate around with the cup, make the whole ordeal long, for Be A GM players many of them spent hours upon hours reaching this goal, make it feel special.​

I agree with what you're saying however you can do free skate in eashl. Just go to edit pro and practice with your guy. Sure, you don't get replays and you don't get to do 1vs1 and all that, but you're asking for free skate, not practice, it's around.

As for the rest. Please new announcers. I'm a habs fan and I wouldn't mind jack edwards at this point. Enough of the recycled crap. Hell, put Mcguire in there too, I don't care. Bring some new energy.

I honestly don't care about the presentation, be a gm itself needs to be redone. Make it more interactive. Guys asking for trades, guys asking to be called up. Make it so that players want more ice time or whatever. One major thing i'd love is a depth chart like EHM for each position and top prospects. Add an assistant GM as well. Etc... Add names to coaches and assistant GMs. Just like EHM, I want to know I'm hiring say Steve Staois as a scout or Tom Renney as my assistant coach. Also, start in the CHL and move up as a GM, just like be a pro.

I miss the intros but I can do without I guess.

That would be cool, we need a few more scenes, getting boring.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
MY Suggestion

Build a franchise mode: Create a new franchise and replace an existing one(relocation). Create your arena, jerseys(you were able to create and personalize areans in old versions). Hire your staff(with names as I said in an above post) and build a legacy. Start off with few fans and a lower budget and win and have success to attract fans and build the market. Instead of owner input as "win 44 games" one might have "acquire a star player for more marketability". Have personnel interaction, press releases(they used to have a newspaper show up in old versions). I mean, make it so that you can be asked for comment on your first ever draft choice and your input reflects the fan's perception of the team.

For instance, standard question "What can you tell us about XXXXXX's first ever draft choice?"

-He's our best player
-He's part of our core
-He's got a long way to go before he makes an impact

Some of it can be trivial, I don't really care. Just make more interaction as the GM. I remember in EHM you'd get questions like "The hockey news....says.....about....Ryan Smyth" and you have a choice of reply. Some would enrage fans and some would get them on your side. If you insult the player he asks for a trade.

I'm putting this on the spot but you get the idea.

Elkaroo

Sep 17, 2012
Ontario
First off as some one who spends far to long in the box, LET ME LOOK AROUND!

BAP:
  • Injuries that force you to miss time
  • Ability to request trades
  • Ability to play in other leagues
  • practices?

EASHL
  • Multiple fights at once
  • Look around in the box
  • Custom arenas
    1. A free agent pool

And for Krishna, CrimsonSkorpion how about instead of more games at once, allow more players to join per team, and have the gm, room host or captain set the lines before hand, and players sub on and off. And if you think that the game couldnt handle it I would like to point out that Fifa allows 11 pre side so i don't see why Nhl could have 11 as well ( 6 forwards, 2 d and a goalie)

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
First off as some one who spends far to long in the box, LET ME LOOK AROUND!

BAP:
  • Injuries that force you to miss time
    [*]Ability to request trades
  • Ability to play in other leagues
  • practices?

EASHL
  • Multiple fights at once
  • Look around in the box
  • Custom arenas
    1. A free agent pool

And for Krishna, CrimsonSkorpion how about instead of more games at once, allow more players to join per team, and have the gm, room host or captain set the lines before hand, and players sub on and off. And if you think that the game couldnt handle it I would like to point out that Fifa allows 11 pre side so i don't see why Nhl could have 11 as well ( 6 forwards, 2 d and a goalie)
Both of the bolded are already in 13.

The trade request feature apparently sucks (haven't tried it personally) but I actually got injured in BAP today and was forced to miss a game, which didn't happen at all last year over five seasons.
It was a groin injury diagnosed as 7-9 days IIRC and after missing one game it put me back in the lineup and a few days later it declared me totally healthy.
While I was injured it probably made my stamina decrease or skating worse but I didn't really notice.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Work on the AI defense more
One-timers need work
Passing needs work
Hitting needs touching up
Add 4 refs that are live(pucks can hit them.etc)
Revamp EASHL

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

there's no way EA's gonna be able to do that when they can't even make players "feel" different. now that I heard that they still pretty much all play the same way (I.E. stats don't matter, using a star player isn't different from using an average guy, etc) i'm def. not buying it. tried the demo. the passing's awful and the AI is still beyond stupid on defense.
Also, for how EA should do presentation, look no further than ESPN NFL 2k5. Stat overlays, video replays, score ticker on the bottom, half-time video clips of key plays, weekly Sportscenter wrap up, decent commentating, shots of guys on the bench celebrating big plays, tons of crowd shots, etc. The newer madden games are taking cues from a game made nearly 8 freaking years ago. (I've also heard the new NBA/MLB the Show games have really great presentation too, but I had nfl 2k5, and the broadcast feel was awesome)

Last edited:

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I wonder if the ability to make players feel different is due to them not having the time work work that out for all 5000 or so players in the game or possibly due to the space it would take up.

Blurays can hold something like 25 gigs of data while the discs xbox uses are only about 7.8 gigs.

Probably a combo of the two

PKsubbydoo

Get that garbage....
Aug 24, 2012
They just need new announcers and fix this hitting ! It seems worse than the previous nhls

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Presentation
1. Get rid of Gary Thorne and bring in Cuthbert or Hughson to do the commentary.
2. Proper goal horns, goal songs.
3. Adjust fan attendance depending on popularity and strength of team. PHX selling out during a regular season game against the Blue Jackets is a tough sell.

Gameplay
1. Improve player/rookie progression in BAGM so people won't stop playing after 3-4 seasons.
2. Improve the AI - trading was bad before, but is a complete gong show now.
3. Implement a chemistry system. I had Marty St. Louis with the Sedins on a line and they put up 300+ points. Would not happen in the real world.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

5. NEW LONG STANLEY CUP CELEBRATION SEQUENCE - Allow us to skate around with the cup, make the whole ordeal long, for Be A GM players many of them spent hours upon hours reaching this goal, make it feel special.

Would love both of these. Have interview sessions where they ask questions where you can give the 'typical hockey answer' or a 'bold answer' that may illicit more boos/cheers from the crowd when you have/don't have the puck.

The celebration would be awesome. Even playing BAP or season, have the ending where you can just skate around and lift the cup or do whatever depending on the buttons. It would just be that little extra gimmick that would make me appreciate the game a little bit more.

They should really get the EA guys talking with the team that made EHM for the GM mode. That tandem might actually put out a really good new GM mode.

I'd also be on board for an "EA World Tournament" being basically the Olympics/WJC/even a WHC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad