NHL’s 30 in 30: Philadelphia Flyers

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Evening, Flyers fans,

I've been doing a series this month for LWOS called NHL's 30 in 30. I cover the 2014-15 regular season, give my take on what teams need to do in the off-season to improve, their role in the 2015 draft and any other big news stories that have come out so far. Today's edition is the Flyers, and I had tons of fun writing this one. From picking 7th, to the logjam on defense (a topic I also covered in another article a few days ago) and a new head coach, I expect the Flyers to have a bounce back season if they can make an acquisition or two in July.

NHL’s 30 in 30: Philadelphia Flyers
http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/07/nhls-30-in-30-philadelphia-flyers/

Hope you enjoy reading and best of luck to Philly in the 2015-16 season!

Nice article, I especially like the confidence of saying they pick 30th instead of even mentioning that it could end up as 29th. :laugh: :handclap:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
A prime candidate of the buy-out option is Lecavalier, who just doesn’t seem to have what it takes to compete in the NHL any longer.

Hextall has publicly stated Lecavalier will not be bought out.

Carl Soderberg, who could be leaving Boston according to Elliotte Friedman, is definitely an upgrade at the center position. Or, if they choose to go the cheaper route, giving prospect Scott Laughton a shake at the main roster could be a viable option.

I have to assume it's Laughton's job, especially with our cap issues. If we spend money this summer it'll be a winger.

If both Provorov and Zacha are gone, watch out for Crouse.

If Provorov and Zacha are gone one of the "consensus" top 5 guys has fallen to us.

For the 30th selection, five names come to mind: Right wingers Denis Guryanov, Brock Boeser and Daniel Sprong, and right-handed defenseman Jeremy Roy and Brandon Carlo.

I've seen many people mention Sprong as a prime candidate for our late 1st. It just won't happen. He's the anti-Flyer. You have to realize what this team looks for when drafting.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Thought this was a well written article and was a pretty fair look at the team. Not going to nitpick every little detail but it was a nice little offseason preview. Thanks for sharing.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
That was a great read.

The part that struck me was that the Flyers haven't even talked to Matt Barzal. Seems to me like some type of smoke screen tactic. Even if the interest isn't "great" - you still talk to the kid. He certainly has high upside offensively and is indeed a top 10 talent. I remember him being in the top 3 conversation a little over a year ago.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
That was a nice article man. It was refreshing to read something that wasn't fraught with outdated Flyers stereotypes like the team needs to upgrade in goal, or that they're going to looking at a big, lumbering, dman with lots of penalty minutes at 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad