NFPLA: Do not sign with Chicago if Senate bill is passed

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ents-signing-chicago-bears-senate-bill-passed

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith says he will tell potential free agents not to sign with the Chicago Bears should new Illinois Senate Bill 12 SA #2 pass.

The bill would adjust the Workers' Compensation Act as it applies to professional athletes, who potentially are entitled to a wage differential award. The new bill would look to eliminate those athletes from being eligible for wage differential awards after age 35.

The law currently allows players to get paid for the term of their natural life, which is set at 67 years old. Those wanting change contend pro athletes seldom play beyond age 35, so paying them until 67 because of injury is unfair and expensive.

Smith told the Spiegel & Parkins Show on Friday that the bill is being pushed by the McCaskey family, which owns the Bears.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So the fringe players who get cut and retire after 2 seasons are going to get completely screwed.

I think its just awful that the Bears support the bill, how do you expect free agents and even bluechip prospects to want to play for you?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Wouldn't this just mean Chicago would end up having to pony up more money to attract players to offset it?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
DeMaurice Smith overestimates the ability of a 23 year old NFL player to deny a $20M 3 year contract.

These guys play for millions despite knowing they are going to have head trauma for life. Does he really think an injury clause is going to dissuade them?

I'm not saying it's right/wrong, but I guarantee you the Chicago Bears will still find players in UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad