NFL GDT: NFL Week 12

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
My only hesitation on Lamar is long term, and it's the Cam Newton scenario. Can this guy play the way he does without getting constantly dinged up? He's smart in that he doesn't go out seeking contact and generally seems to slide off hits so he doesn't often get hit square on, but still. He's going to absorb quite a bit more punishment than most QBs. I don't want to see him change his game but eventually he'll have to just for self preservation.

Impressive performance by him anyway, if I had to build a franchise around one player I think he'd probably be it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My only hesitation on Lamar is long term, and it's the Cam Newton scenario. Can this guy play the way he does without getting constantly dinged up? He's smart in that he doesn't go out seeking contact and generally seems to slide off hits so he doesn't often get hit square on, but still. He's going to absorb quite a bit more punishment than most QBs. I don't want to see him change his game but eventually he'll have to just for self preservation.

Impressive performance by him anyway, if I had to build a franchise around one player I think he'd probably be it.
He’ll have to evolve similar to Wilson. Russell is now nowhere close to the rushing yardage he had during his rookie contract years.

and when wilson did run he almost never got tackled. Always slid before contact or ran out of bounds. but he didn’t have Jackson’s speed either.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Great winning % ... but do you honestly believe that NE would’ve won 16 of 18 and 10 straight division titles in any other division in the league??
Based on how well they play every other team in the league over the same period of time, and their utter dominance over the entire league year over year? Yes. I mean, their winning percentage in the playoffs - against the best teams in the conference every year - is 75%, going undefeated 6 times.

I get that they hurt your feelings so you are grasping at straws for whatever you can get but the stats do not back you up at all, in any way, and your embarrassing yourself continuing down this line of questioning. Take your L and move on.

Reactions: pockets

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Based on how well they play every other team in the league over the same period of time, and their utter dominance over the entire league year over year? Yes. I mean, their winning percentage in the playoffs - against the best teams in the conference every year - is 75%, going undefeated 6 times.

I get that they hurt your feelings so you are grasping at straws for whatever you can get but the stats do not back you up at all, in any way, and your embarrassing yourself continuing down this line of questioning. Take your L and move on.

Yeah, but what if you take the best players from every team and form one super team and then have the Patriots play them 16 times a season?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He’ll have to evolve similar to Wilson. Russell is now nowhere close to the rushing yardage he had during his rookie contract years.

and when wilson did run he almost never got tackled. Always slid before contact or ran out of bounds. but he didn’t have Jackson’s speed either.
If he doesn't evolve one of two things is going to happen. The league is going to catch up to him or he's not going to be able to stay on the field. I don't think what he is doing is sustainable over the long term, meaning a few seasons. If he wants to play like a RB, he's going to have the career span of a RB

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
:laugh: :laugh:
Your first paragraph would've been sufficient Hank, but since you're a typical arrogant NE fan you have to insult anybody who raises legitimate questions about your beloved team

If you really think NE would've won 16 of 18 division titles and 10 straight in all the other divisions in the league the last two decades ..then you are the one who is embarrassing yourself

Anyone who's followed the NFL over the last 20 years knows damn well that the AFC East (other than NE) has been the weakest division in the league

Patriots dominance in AFC East has been astonishing

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
Your first paragraph would've been sufficient Hank, but since you're a typical arrogant NE fan you have to insult anybody who raises legitimate questions about your beloved team

If you really think NE would've won 16 of 18 division titles and 10 straight in all the other divisions in the league the last two decades ..then you are the one who is embarrassing yourself

Anyone who's followed the NFL over the last 20 years knows damn well that the AFC East (other than NE) has been the weakest division in the league

Yes but by the same token if the Patriots were in a different division your kidding yourself if you don't think they would be a title contender.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

You're right, they would have only won 15 out 18. Happy now?

I mean you keep repeating yourself and backing it up with no evidence, yet we are the ones embarrassing ourselves?

Ever think maybe you arent brining up a legitmate question up and that's why no one is taking you seriously? How many times does someone have to point out their playoff record and record outside the afc east before you realize the division excuse is nothing more than that, an excuse.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Yes but by the same token if the Patriots were in a different division your kidding yourself if you don't think they would be a title contender.

Absolutely ...they would be title contenders in any division

I just don't think they would've won as many division titles as they have in the AFC East

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Absolutely ...they would be title contenders in any division

I just don't think they would've won as many division titles as they have in the AFC East
You feel like they wouldn't because that's what you want to believe. We can't know for certain what would happen in some alternate universe you've invented in your head where the Pats play in a rotating division that has 3 other teams from the AFC during their best years, or whatever ridiculous concoction you've created to make yourself feel better about the Pats dominance.

The facts that we have on hand is that, over the same period of time, their record vs the rest of the league is nearly identical to their record vs the AFC East. We also know that, over the same period of time, they win 75% of their playoff games - games against the best competition there is each year - which, extrapolated over that time period, is a 12-4 record every year. 12-4 is likely going to win them their division - regardless of what that division is - every year.

What you have done is taking a baseless opinion and put it on a pedestal, and are now so dug in you cannot handle facts & reason.

Take your L and move on.

Reactions: DangleCity

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Whatever you say Hank ....you were the one who answered a question I asked of another poster in the first place

Stats don't always tell the whole truth... but I'm gonna agree to disagree and move on

...if you don’t like what I'm saying just press IGNORE

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You feel like they wouldn't because that's what you want to believe. We can't know for certain what would happen in some alternate universe you've invented in your head where the Pats play in a rotating division that has 3 other teams from the AFC during their best years, or whatever ridiculous concoction you've created to make yourself feel better about the Pats dominance.

The facts that we have on hand is that, over the same period of time, their record vs the rest of the league is nearly identical to their record vs the AFC East. We also know that, over the same period of time, they win 75% of their playoff games - games against the best competition there is each year - which, extrapolated over that time period, is a 12-4 record every year. 12-4 is likely going to win them their division - regardless of what that division is - every year.

What you have done is taking a baseless opinion and put it on a pedestal, and are now so dug in you cannot handle facts & reason.

Take your L and move on.
There's no way the Patriots stomp their way through every other division the way they do their own. Playing well outside of the division is nice, but they certainly benefit from having 38% of their annual schedule be joke games against layup opponents. This is a benefit no other team has had for as long as them. And this easy division also makes for an easier path to the 1st round bye and then home field throughout the playoffs. Getting to skip the wild card round most every season is an advantage because it means they play a beat up opponent at home pretty much every season. Their bad division gives them the easiest path to the conference championship game of any team in the NFL.

Other divisions have ups and downs, but no division has had three teams be this consistently bad for this long, especially in the QB department. In this run of theirs, name for me the QBs they've had in their division who were any good. What QBs have the Bills, Dolphins, or Jets had over the years who made it tough for the Patriots to win games?

Reactions: bobbyorr04

member 157595

Take your L and move on.

dude if gronkowski had a permanent disability and belichick was a ferret the Pats wouldn't have won all those titles unless all the games started at 3:45 pm on a Tuesday.

Reactions: DangleCity

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
There's no way the Patriots stomp their way through every other division the way they do their own. Playing well outside of the division is nice, but they certainly benefit from having 38% of their annual schedule be joke games against layup opponents. This is a benefit no other team has had for as long as them. And this easy division also makes for an easier path to the 1st round bye and then home field throughout the playoffs. Getting to skip the wild card round most every season is an advantage because it means they play a beat up opponent at home pretty much every season. Their bad division gives them the easiest path to the conference championship game of any team in the NFL.

Other divisions have ups and downs, but no division has had three teams be this consistently bad for this long, especially in the QB department. In this run of theirs, name for me the QBs they've had in their division who were any good. What QBs have the Bills, Dolphins, or Jets had over the years who made it tough for the Patriots to win games?
My entire point is we can't live in this alternate universe so the one thing that we have is how the Patriots do vs every other team in the league - that's the closest we can get to testing this theory. And they win with the same percentage (basically) vs the non-AFC East as they do vs the AFC East. They also win at a 75% clip vs playoff teams. Everything else is purely conjecture and wishful thinking.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

There is zero evidence thay says they wouldn't stomp through any other division. In fact the evidence points to the fact they would indeed stomp through any division.

Just curious as to what divison do you think they would struggle in?

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
People say the AFCE has been garbage for years but there’s a little stat that seems to have been passed over: the AFCE as a whole has the best combined non-division win percentage since 2000. Even if you take out the yearly division winner from each the division (just to make it fair and remove the Pats from the equation) the AFCE still has the highest combined win percentage in non-division games.

Throw in the fact that the Pats have the same win percentage against the NFCW as the AFCE, and a better win percentage against the NFCS and AFCS, it’s really just a desperate attempt to discredit the Pats success.

The only division that the Pats have struggled with is the AFCW which their win percentage against prior to the start of this season was .673 (33-16). More specifically that problem is the Broncos who the Pats are 10-9 against in since 2000. Otherwise the Pats are 23-7 (.766) vs the remaining AFCW teams, which is also a better record than vs the AFCE.

Here’s a great tweet from Field Yates from last January before the Super Bowl that should help put some things in perspective:

As one comment in the tweet said “The AFCE’s lack of success has been fueled by the Pats.” Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bocephus86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad