NFL to start streaming service $5/month

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
There are always free streaming services online. One has to find them and beware of clicking doubtful ads thiugh

Reactions: varsaku

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Most streaming services do not include local channels. So folks (like me) had to follow the game on radio or on teeny (phone) screen.

This new product will allow me to watch games on my BIG TV.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
NFL+ will fail without the ability to watch out of market regular season games because all you really need to watch games on the big 4 networks is an antenna. And buying that is usually a one-time payment, compared to the recurring payments of NFL+. I predict antenna purchases by cord cutters will increase sharply in the future, dooming things like NFL+ to fail.

There are also TV antennas for mobile phones. Which will further undercut NFL+ in the form the league is proposing.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Historically, the mobile product has only been available via cellular service. That's to protect the networks. As I understand it, that will remain the case.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Cable and network TV stations pay more for sports rights than they would ever get from streaming or direct services. Look at WWE for example, they got something like 200-400 million (and a lot more for their Saudi Arabia shows) for their recent TV deal. Their WWE network had 1 million subscribers at it's peak at about 10 dollars. 10 million dollars a month is peanuts compared to their TV deal. The whole point of the direct streaming is that it's ad-free as well. I'm sure it would be even worse for the NFL whose TV deal is in the billions I'm assuming.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
And because of the existence of antennas for mobile devices, NFL+ will be an even bigger flop than Quibi.

You're being dramatic, as always.

NFL+ is replacing NFL Game Pass. It's starting out with a dedicated base of subscribers who will continue to subscribe, at a now lower price, for features having nothing to do with live game video.

Reactions: oknazevad

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
POS. Not worth it. I can watch live games only on tablet or phone/mobile device. (Wanna watch on TV - only replays on TV)

Since I want to stream a live game on TV, only options are Paramount+, Peacock+ or the Fox equivalent (Hulu Live -- gets Fox/NBC/CBS/ABC local stations), DirecTV stream, cable, ESPN (MNF), Amazon Prime (TNF).

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
For 40 bucks a year it was a lock to be useless pretty much

All the "why don't sports leagues put together their own service" takes basically just ask why leagues won't take way less guaranteed money. Sure the cable model is hitting a wall but making games on TV/streaming cheaper for fans (and increasing their own production cost) just isn't what sports leagues are after.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Apple and the NFL are at a standstill in regards to Sunday Ticket.

Hopefully this will cause the NFL to realize that they are better off offering Sunday Ticket as a separate streaming service by themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad