NFL: NFL proposes 14-team playoffs, 17-game season, 3-game preseason (CBA approved)

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Disagree. I do want #1 vs. #1 for the most part. The championship game, more ofter than not, should be between the two best teams during the season. I'm a proponent of less playoff teams, in all sports. More playoff teams waters down the importance of the regular season. And in a sport like the NFL where it's a one game anything can happen I'd say to see a 13-3 team not get a bye and then have a bad day against a 7-9 team.

The one thing I do agree with though is the seeding being based upon divisions. Divisions should only be used for scheduling. Give me the best teams seeded #1 to #whatever and then reseed each round. This is one thing the NBA does right.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Cinderella teams are a huge part of what makes sports interesting. When my team, the Packers, won their last Super Bowl, they were a Cinderella team. They did not clinch a playoff spot until the last week of the season. And they were only seeded #6. So, the Packers, who at that point had not won a road playoff game in 13 seasons, pulled off a Super Bowl run without ever having the advantage of Green Bay winter weather at their backs.

When the Kings won their first Stanley Cup, they too were a Cinderella. They were seeded #8 in the West, and had technically lost more games than they won (40 wins against 42 losses), but because the NHL gives teams a point for losing in overtime, the points percentage was actually over .500 (but not the physical winning percentage).

Another notable Cinderella was the 83-win Cardinal team that won the 2006 World Series.

So, having the good teams win all the time would make sports less interesting. I mean if my Packers were 6-10 but somehow managed to win the #8 seed in the NFC in a 16-team playoff bracket, I'd still root for them, because they are my team. And it would be a real feel-good story if one day, a team who finished under .500 in the regular season won the Super Bowl. Sub-.500 teams have already won twice in the playoffs.

And with the proposal to simulcast one of CBS' first-round playoff games on Nickelodeon, it would have to be the day CBS is airing a game at 4:30 PM, since only then are all CBS affiliates televising the same game. Perhaps ABC's first-round game could also have a kid-oriented simulcast on Disney XD (the only exception to ABC's exclusive rights to its postseason games), same with Universal Kids for NBC's first-round game. Fox would be the odd one out.

During reverse mirror slots, usually one game in the slot will end before the other. In those cases, the end of the game still in progress would be seen nationwide on both the broadcast network airing the game and its sister cable sports network.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad