NFL proposal to incentive minority hiring

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm all for diversity but this an awful way to go about it.

I can already foresee a team hiring a person of color as "GM" but still have someone else calling the shots while getting a better draft position.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I agree with everyone on this being a horrible idea. That being said, only 2 GMs and 4HCs is a f***ing joke. There's way more black players than white at both the pro and college levels. Just as many black assistant coaches (not coordinators) as white also. There's obviously some prejudice going on in the league when it comes to hiring for the top positions and something needs to be done about it. This proposal is not the answer tho and I don't know what is.

Reactions: Avs_19

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The talk is Goodell made this public to 'shame' the owners to get off their ass and do something about the discrepancy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The incentive is hardly that. Move up 6 or 10 spots in the third round? Who cares?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
So Bribery then? If you have the 1st thru 5th overall pick would that move your 3rd into the late 2nd? And what of the teams who get bumped? I can't imagine they would be happy moving back

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Hire him... move up... next year replace him... move up... next year replace him... move up... Also what if you are a top 6 team (in the draft), do you move up into the 2nd?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I agree with everyone on this being a horrible idea. That being said, only 2 GMs and 4HCs is a f***ing joke. There's way more black players than white at both the pro and college levels. Just as many black assistant coaches (not coordinators) as white also. There's obviously some prejudice going on in the league when it comes to hiring for the top positions and something needs to be done about it. This proposal is not the answer tho and I don't know what is.
Best way to address this honestly, is to stop nepotism.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Really unbelievable the NFL and the powers that be really think this is even sufficient or bright to put out there as trying to fix the problem.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
And what about when those interview candidates refuse what they see as token interviews? We saw it with Raiders hire since everyone knew they wanted Gruden for a while

As always the NFL and Rooney rule is joke

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just saw the PFT segment today with Simms and Florio where Simms talked about salaries for the entry level coaches. Guys with Quality Control type job titles. Said when he worked for NE he made $10K after taxes. But he could afford to do that job cause he made money in the NFL. And he would have had family money if he needed to ask for it.

Says they eliminate a lot of quality candidates because some people can’t financially afford to spend upwards of 5 years of their life making nothing. Not if you have a family.

interesting POV from someone who worked that job in the NFL. Certainly teams have the money to spend an extra $200K-$300k to pay their entry level guys a basic true entry level salary like an accountant or something.

but coaches and or teams want to see these guys show their passion for the business by grinding it out it seems.
Then there’s a group of guys who get there via connections who may not be as good as other candidates. So that also needs to stop.

NFL also needs to fix the bottom of the scale from The sounds of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad