NFL in Canada, what would attendances look like

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Now that we have seen the logical uncertainties COVID has created for league that have teams in Canada, there is no way the NFL will put teams in the UK. Zero chance. And 2 teams?

Vancouver will never get an NFL team. The market is too small, and Montreal would be a better fit if a stadium is built (BC Place is inadequate for NFL football).

A second team in Chicago would never work.

Vancouver is bigger than many markets that have a team in the NFL today. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver have more than enough population and corporate support to be major sports town. The ladder two just think small - I remember debating with some puclhead in Montreal about the NBA and he kept talking about how there would be no one who would attend even though there was a parade there for the Raptors a TO team. Regardless of attendance he didn't realize that the NBA and NFL are media rights driven and not attendance like the NHL. This is the thinking that prevents the rest of the country from having nice things.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
The only way I see it happening is if the NFL and CFL agree to a merger and a longer schedule, I'm talking about 8-12 more games. But the one thing that'd be hard to negotiate is field size as well as the different assigned positions the CFL has that's different from the NFL such as slotback.

Or have the Canadian teams play in the US cities come winter.

NFL and CFL are in two different galaxies.

Last year CFL and XFL reported exploring collaboration opportunities. Much more realistic.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
NFL and CFL are in two different galaxies.

Last year CFL and XFL reported exploring collaboration opportunities. Much more realistic.

The NFL does not care about the CFL other than at one point it kept them from being persued for Anti-trust potentially. USFL/XFL and Arena football shields them from that now. CFL is irrelevant in Toronto/GTA - I couldn't name you a CFL player that plays for the argos and the league itself. The last player I remember was Ricky Williams.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Montreal could support a team but I don't think they'd ever be a candidate. It would be bad enough in their eyes to have to deal with the Canadian aspect, to throw the language issues on top of it would be asking for too much.

Toronto could absolutely support one. Regardless of what happened in the previous one off games, it's a much different situation when there's the ability to support a "local" team rather than two random teams. The other element is that you would also get a lot of people coming in to see games from Montreal, Ottawa, and other surrounding cities meaning it's not just about the people and corporation in Toronto.

That last element is also why Vancouver would never work because it's comparatively isolated.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Montreal could support a team but I don't think they'd ever be a candidate. It would be bad enough in their eyes to have to deal with the Canadian aspect, to throw the language issues on top of it would be asking for too much.

Toronto could absolutely support one. Regardless of what happened in the previous one off games, it's a much different situation when there's the ability to support a "local" team rather than two random teams. The other element is that you would also get a lot of people coming in to see games from Montreal, Ottawa, and other surrounding cities meaning it's not just about the people and corporation in Toronto.

That last element is also why Vancouver would never work because it's comparatively isolated.

NFL has a handful of games so I don't see why Vancouver needs people from other provinces or cities. If this was the MLB and had 82 home games I'd agree with you. Lastly, none of this really matters as the NFL makes billions on their tv deal and are not a gate driven league. Theoritcally it can work in Calgary even but none of these cities would get a team.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Toronto would find watching fantasy football vs supporting your own team to be two different things. That being said, the team would survive as any team is making money fore a ticket is sold. I just know what Jay's/TFC support looks like in a bad season and could see it being worse for a bad NFL team without any history.

The football audience in Toronto isnt that deep and they already failed once at trying to make an impression. Plus no one was rich enough to bid for it on their own. No one really likes to bring it up for some reason that the last attempt sadly need Bon Jovi, and that the NFL was pissed at how low their Bill's offer was.

I just dont see what the upside is for the NFL in terms of new revenue. It's already the 2nd most watched sport in a country that's not a really a big deal in the world.

Plus I would think Buffalo would have something to say.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I think Toronto would find watching fantasy football vs supporting your own team to be two different things. That being said, the team would survive as any team is making money fore a ticket is sold. I just know what Jay's/TFC support looks like in a bad season and could see it being worse for a bad NFL team without any history.

The football audience in Toronto isnt that deep and they already failed once at trying to make an impression. Plus no one was rich enough to bid for it on their own. No one really likes to bring it up for some reason that the last attempt sadly need Bon Jovi, and that the NFL was pissed at how low their Bill's offer was.

I just dont see what the upside is for the NFL in terms of new revenue. It's already the 2nd most watched sport in a country that's not a really a big deal in the world.

Plus I would think Buffalo would have something to say.

Sorry how did they fail in Toronto? Because of some over priced Buffalo bills games? Again that is not a Toronto a team and there probably aren't a whole lot of Buffalo bills fans in Toronto that would pay to see them in Toronto versus going to Buffalo which is not a long drive and cheaper tickets. Also Toronto supports all the other three major sports which require more fan attendance.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I can't believe Toronto doesn't have an NFL team. I bet the NFL team would eventually take over hockey in Toronto.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I can't believe Toronto doesn't have an NFL team. I bet the NFL team would eventually take over hockey in Toronto.

Historically Toronto has been a football town - historically, before the NHL/leafs the Argos were the thing. The team was supported pretty well until the city got the Blue Jays and Raptors - now they are irrelevant because the league is not even closely competitive to the NFL but at one time it was on par with the NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad