NFL European division? (Future)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Hmmmmm.

if they did that…scheduling would be complicated further.

that division would face 2 other division. The teams going each way would do 2 week back to back game trips. Any extra road games woukd be done on a 3rd consecutive week trip or do a 3 game road trip.

whenever you see a 3 game road/ home stand— it’s usually to adjust a last minute schedule change where they flipped entire game weeks Or they flipped divisional game sites.

Europe games would only occur at 9am or 2 pm. This kills any chance of a prime time game happening with those teams.

thr other issue is talent drain if they were to go to 36 or 40 teams.

Reactions: Voight

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
As much as I enjoy football, and it's great to see it grow and grow in the UK. London would never, ever support two NFL level franchises. No way, ever, never!

There are many diehard NFL fans in the UK and sure some would convert to NFL London Team if/when it arrives, but having two to completely split the already small (in the grand scheme) fan base would really not work.

All NFL games are in London, if a team is in London and I wanted to travel there from my area it would mean the following:

Train (or coach, but for comfort and to make it there and back train)
Food/Drinks
Tickets
It would HAVE to be a weekend, or how would I travel to London after a shift at work, watch the game and get back? Impossible

I'm not even that far from London, so you are already cutting out a huge number of fans, if the coach ride is cheap but 5 hours away then people will not travel 10 hours to watch, if they did, they need a hotel which is stupid expensive.

The cheapest ticket from my area to London return for next Saturday (imagining there was NFL London next Saturday) is almost $110! Starting including food/drinks/merch and the actual game ticket, and you can easily make that $400/500 for a single game.

Trust me, nobody is going to be doing that all season and not for x2 teams worth of fans!

One team I understand, because people like me would make the odd trip down to London to see the game/event/ But expecting there to be what, 200k people in London who are willing to go every weekend is not realistic.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Fans want the real deal. The NFL Europe was like the "Diet Coke" of pro football to fans, the NFL is the real deal.

But the logistics seem difficult to me. The World League of Football of the early 90s was the first and only attempt at a league across multiple continents, and that lasted all of 2 years.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
When NFL Europe was a thing in the 90s the German teams carried that thing in terms of attendance

Reactions: Rigafan

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, if the NFL is seriously considering this, Germany realistically has to have at least two of the teams.

But unless this is coupled with a four team expansion over here, this still seems odd. And neither conference would want to be the one stuck with a division that far away.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Pretty much a logistical impossibility that won't make the money they think it will.

The London games are popular because they're not ordinary. Same way EPL games played in North America sell like crazy but MLS struggles at times.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Pretty much a logistical impossibility that won't make the money they think it will.

The London games are popular because they're not ordinary. Same way EPL games played in North America sell like crazy but MLS struggles at times.
when has the EPL played regular season games in NA? They've been broadcast in NA, I'll grant you that.... MLS is our version of the EPL, SINCE SOME of the MLS Teams partner w/ EPL Teams or have stakes in EPL Teams.... Revolution are not one of them....

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
when has the EPL played regular season games in NA? They've been broadcast in NA, I'll grant you that.... MLS is our version of the EPL, SINCE SOME of the MLS Teams partner w/ EPL Teams or have stakes in EPL Teams.... Revolution are not one of them....

Misremembered apparently, most Euro games here have been interleague friendlies.

The game I was thinking of was Man City vs Liverpool at Yankee Stadium but that was a preseason tilt.

My larger point was the Euro games sell are a more desirable ticket because their not common, same way the NFL games in London are.

Really a full time team there would have to be a playoff team on day 1 to make fans and I don't think the other teams would agree to a favorable expansion draft.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
This is realistically the only option if they want to expand to Europe. One team in Europe would be a logistical nightmare. Atleast having a full division there would make things easier. That would mean only 5-6 games with travel to the US for them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fans want the real deal. The NFL Europe was like the "Diet Coke" of pro football to fans, the NFL is the real deal.

But the logistics seem difficult to me. The World League of Football of the early 90s was the first and only attempt at a league across multiple continents, and that lasted all of 2 years.
Logistics just don’t work when It comes to western teams playing in Europe. No difference from NY to LA vs England to NY.

Need stadiums that can accommodate the nfl since European football gets priority with the field and they have to keep that in good shape. Tottenheim could remove the grass field and the teams played on turf. Must have done something similar to the London one as they played on turf as well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah, if the NFL is seriously considering this, Germany realistically has to have at least two of the teams.

But unless this is coupled with a four team expansion over here, this still seems odd. And neither conference would want to be the one stuck with a division that far away.
Logistics just don’t work when It comes to western teams playing in Europe. No difference from NY to LA vs England to NY.

Need stadiums that can accommodate the nfl since European football gets priority with the field and they have to keep that in good shape. Tottenheim could remove the grass field and the teams played on turf. Must have done something similar to the London one as they played on turf as well.
The fact that's no Eastern Conference basically bites the NFL in the you know what here. For either NFC or AFC West teams it'd be a pain to know they have to travel there every year. It would also force some interesting realignment (or further N.A. expansion) simply because naturally 9 divisions of 4 doesn't really make a ton of sense.

I also think ticket prices would be a problem. It's one thing for say all the Vikings fans in Europe to consider a trip once every couple of years to London to see their team, it's another thing to get a viable season ticket base from the region where the team is located. Germans in particular are not used to paying NFL prices. Basically the league would need to subsidize the crap out of those teams for X years. Same goes for TV rights. They obviously need equal share from the TV money as the U.S. teams even though they will bring a lot less to the table as Euro broadcast deals won't be nearly as lucrative.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The fact that's no Eastern Conference basically bites the NFL in the you know what here. For either NFC or AFC West teams it'd be a pain to know they have to travel there every year. It would also force some interesting realignment (or further N.A. expansion) simply because naturally 9 divisions of 4 doesn't really make a ton of sense.

I also think ticket prices would be a problem. It's one thing for say all the Vikings fans in Europe to consider a trip once every couple of years to London to see their team, it's another thing to get a viable season ticket base from the region where the team is located. Germans in particular are not used to paying NFL prices. Basically the league would need to subsidize the crap out of those teams for X years. Same goes for TV rights. They obviously need equal share from the TV money as the U.S. teams even though they will bring a lot less to the table as Euro broadcast deals won't be nearly as lucrative.
Right now how does the nfl get to 36?

Return to markets that they left?
STL, SD? What other options besides them? SA or Austin TX? Portland OR? States without pro teams like VA or WV? CT?

They’d probably go with 6 divisions of 6.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
When NFL Europe was a thing in the 90s the German teams carried that thing in terms of attendance
Nowadays there's fewer US military presence in Germany though, and more in Poland as well as some other countries further east. That's also a significant shift in the potential fan base given that many of the NFL Europe spectators used to be American.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Nowadays there's fewer US military presence in Germany though, and more in Poland as well as some other countries further east. That's also a significant shift in the potential fan base given that many of the NFL Europe spectators used to be American.

I believe American football is one of the fast-growing sports in Poland, however Germany and Austria are still the key locations for fan support in Europe.

The recent European League of Football final between Vienna Vikings and Hamburg Sea Devils had almost 15k fans in attendance, for example.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sure, just to say that even if the new division would have fewer teams than the NFL Europe once had, it still needs to spread out more. Germany alone won't come close to supporting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad