NFL adding 17th game for 2021

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He pretty much answered all my questions. I dont like this only 1 team getting a bye though.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This seems stupid.. one extra game for more wear and tear in a sport where a lot of great players get season enders?

Reactions: adsfan
Sep 19, 2008
iu

1 additional game is fine

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Completely unnecessary. 16 games is perfect leave it be.
I agree. And it becomes unfair if you are giving certain teams the extra home game. Unless they are making that game a neutral site game in Europe or something. Thus 2 games a week get played over seas. That would be the only way to make any sense. Don’t see the need to play in markets in the USA with no nfl team.

Reactions: adsfan and Mrfenn92

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hate the asymmetry of a 17 game schedule.
No one can ever be .500 unless they have a tie.

But we’ll have an 18th game soon enough. The long-term of this was that they wanted the Super Bowl on Presidents’ Day weekend I guess because they think everyone gets off from work.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To be honest I think they are eliminating preseason games from 4 to 2 so this may be fine
Issue is that starters have been playing less and less in pre-season so losing those 2 games doesn't do anything for the starters.

Used to be game 1 - 1 or 2 series. game 2 up to the end of Q1. Game 3 is the game rehearsal so both sides of the ball have to play 1 series in the 2nd half to get used to the halftime break. Game 4, rest all starters.

So, the equivalent of a full game in pre-season over a 3 week period.

Now Game 1 and 4 are pretty much no starters for a lot of teams.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

for example, the Eagles and Jets would play next year. So would the Packers and Chiefs.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
No one can ever be .500 unless they have a tie.

But we’ll have an 18th game soon enough. The long-term of this was that they wanted the Super Bowl on Presidents’ Day weekend I guess because they think everyone gets off from work.

Don't you think with an 18 game season that the NFL will have to go to two bye weeks?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't you think with an 18 game season that the NFL will have to go to two bye weeks?
I don’t understand why the players don’t demand second bye weeks now. They should. An extra week of football on TV is like worth like a billion dollars or something.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t understand why the players don’t demand second bye weeks now. They should. An extra week of football on TV is like worth like a billion dollars or something.
A second bye weeks made sense the moment they went to TNF. Give teams a bye before they play it this reduces the wear and tear going and coming out of that game.

just a matter of pushing the SB back. Main thing is that they want to avoid Feb 14. Don’t want to risk losing viewers in that day. Right now the SB lines up to the first weekend of Feb.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Lions and Browns fans rejoice. They no longer are the owners of the worst possible record!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A second bye weeks made sense the moment they went to TNF. Give teams a bye before they play it this reduces the wear and tear going and coming out of that game.

just a matter of pushing the SB back. Main thing is that they want to avoid Feb 14. Don’t want to risk losing viewers in that day. Right now the SB lines up to the first weekend of Feb.
Doubt they’d care about Valentine’s Day.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Doubt they’d care about Valentine’s Day.
If you want maximum eyes I think they’d consider it too as there are still a number of non football fans who tune into the game. Want the largest audience possible.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

for example, the Eagles and Jets would play next year. So would the Packers and Chiefs.

I absolutely hate the schedule model the NFL has had since expanding to 32. Why are they playing 4 non-conference games a year?

There's 15 conference opponents, just play everyone in the conference once each; then 2 of your current division members on a rotating basis for 17 games and be done with it.

This would also eliminate like 7 layers of tiebreakers because EVERYONE would have a head-to-head matchup, so you'd only need it if you split 2 games with the team you're tied with, or if you tied the team you were tied with.

Reactions: member 51464

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad