Next years potential line-up

34Matthews

Oct 3, 2013
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Grundstrom-_____ -Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Kapanen

I think a quality 3rd line Center is a priority next year..and of course upgrading 2 spots on Defense.

Reactions: LDN

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
:biglaugh: you think f***ing Babcock would employ those lines? Try

Komarov-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Plekanec-Nylander
Hyman-Bozak-Marner
Johnsson-Moore-Kapanen

And then the Babcult will tell us how we shouldn't question the führer. FYI, this is what I'd go with:

Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Hyman
Leivo-FA 4th line C*-Brown

* A good enough player that we don't have to spend another f***ing 2nd rounder on

Last edited:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Couldn't care less what they are next year atm, sorry.

Just don't want to see the following players back in any capacity.

1. Komarov
2. JvR
3. Polak
4. Bozak
5. Plekanec

It also depends on who our GM will be, if Lou stays on I can see 3 of the 5 coming back.

Reactions: ToneDog

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Anisimov/Smith/Bozak/Filppula-Brown
Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Gauthier-Leivo

Rielly-Carlson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Carrick

Andersen
Sparks/Pickard

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I was at the Marlies game on Saturday, and I must say that Miro Aaltonen stood out big time. I get it that they were playing the worst team in the league Laval , but dont be shocked if he isn't up with the Leafs next year. Him and Grundstrom had a lot of chemistry on Saturday. Also worth noting how dominant Rosen and Borgman looked at a live AHL game. Got to think those two will both push next season to be with the big club.

I have a feeling Bozak may be back. JVR and Komarov will most likely be gone. But I dont think it would be as easy to find a 45 point 3C as some people may think. I feel like giving Bozak wingers like Brown and Kapanen/Johnsson would take a lot of pressure off him. While we lose JVR and his net presence, Bozak is suddenly flanked by two very quick, very responsible wingers. It would change the whole line dynamic. While we may sacrifice some offense, our third line would be better defensively as well. I see the lineup as this next year.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bozak-Brown
Kapanen-Aaltonen-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Borgman-Zaitsev

There may be some moves made for the blue line. I'm unsure what the Leafs will do, via trades or free agency signings.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My guesss:

8 guys won’t be on the Leafs roster next year: JvR,Bozak, Moore,Plekanec, Komarov, Martin, Hainsey, and Polak

And Gardiner and Nylander will be traded in the off-season in order to upgrade the D.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Get rid of Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Plekanec, Carrick, Hainsey.

Get me 2 of Evander Kane, Mike Fisher, Matt Cullen, James Neal, etc.....these guys are all UFA's and they compete.

Reactions: MattySnipes and LDN

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
If he's willing to take a contract of about $2m per year sure, otherwise see ya. Would be nice to go out and get a 6'2+ centerman with a nasty streak.
This is what I want... The team needs a little size upfront. He obviously need a to be able to skate too but I'd feel better if they we had a guy that wasn't a plug and could hold his own against some of the bigger/tougher opponents in the league

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Holl/Borgman/Rosen

Andersen
McElhinney

Cap hit: 67,340.833 (includes Nathan Horton's 5.3 million)
Space: 12,659,167

We can even keep Martin for some heavy lifting/press box role. I think that 4th line needs some playing time. We saw the need for some big bodies and that 4th line can play increased minutes if required. A big cycle line to complement the more skilled lines.

Plenty of cap space to give Marner and Matthews their raises next year as long as some creative accounting is done. Maybe Marleau does retire to free up some cap space. Who knows. This line-up can work. Keep running out the new kids every year and this can work. Sort of a Pittsburgh model if you wish.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Get rid of Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Plekanec, Carrick, Hainsey.

Get me 2 of Evander Kane, Mike Fisher, Matt Cullen, James Neal, etc.....these guys are all UFA's and they compete.

James Neal is extremely interesting. He certainly looks like he’d fill a void if the money and term fits.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Trade - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Aaltonen - Free Agent
Ex. Gauthier

Brown traded in the deal for a C or D

Rielly - Trade
Gardiner - Dermott