Next years Avs (2018) / Leafs (2017)

member 157595

Montreal. They have a track record of being a decent team with this group and have a good coach, Price goes back to .920+, Drouin settles in and has a good year
Drouin should be fine once Montreal stops trying to turn him into something he's not.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I picked Buffalo because what they have is good young talent. Eichel is approaching top 10-15 NHL player already with the potential to be a top 3-5 player in his prime, O'Reilly is a nice piece at center for them so they have the middle solidified. Young forwards like Nylander and Mittlestadt (best player in last year's draft imo and will prove so over time) will look to win spots next year and make ROY cases and while they are thin at defense, so are were the leafs. Risto is a really good young D-Man. He may or may not be atrocious defensively but that can be masked by adding a stay at home player to allow him to focus on what he does best, create offense at really good rates. Think first move they gotta make is acquire a good goaltender, and then let the players play to their strengths in a system. This is a good draft, and adding a Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina type prospect who imo are all NHL ready, accelerates the process a little than some of the other teams listed.

So if they can add a depth defenseman that can give you league average ability, a solid goalie and one of these NHL ready players end up with the Sabres, I don't see why not. On paper at least.

Think you're really understating how bad their D core is. And underrating how good Rielly & Gardiner are to the Leafs dcore, and Zaitsev too even with a bad season as a new father for him. Personally believe Risto should be on 2nd pair in an ideal situation as yes his defense is atrocious, so that leaves Buffalo essentially trying to acquire 3 good dmen in a year. I def think Mittlestadt will help, but Nylander isn't ready to make an impact. If they win Dahlin I'd change my mind but until they make huge changes at D & G I don't see it happening. They do have Reinhart breaking out though so that's promising.
---
:laugh: at Montreal making it though, sorry Habs fans but you're the Leafs circa 2010 and the next couple years depending on how quick you get good mgmt will be painful

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I'm done saying Buffalo or Arizona I pick them every year and every year they suck ass

Maybe Ottawa. I could also see Bergevin making some stop gap moves that could make Montreal a bubble team.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I can tell you already it's gonna be Vancouver if any out of those teams. They're gonna be good sooner than later when their youth invasion kicks in

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Ottawa has the best team of the bunch. Not sure what the hell went wrong this year but I think they'll bounce back next year barring a firesale and moving EK.

Ottawa has an aging goalie that played inspired last year. Their core isn't really strong and Karlsson will be 31/32 by the team the Sens can be real contenders again.

Vancouver has a good shot if they bring bring Dahlin, Peterson and another guy in next year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm a guy who butted heads with Sens fans last summer when I accurately predicted they would miss the playoffs. That said, I think they are the most talented team out of the bunch to make the playoff next season.
Anderson may be 37, but next will will be his "good Year".

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
This is literary a crapshoot untill we get to see finalised line-ups, a lot can change between now and the opening night, that much is certain.

If I were to guess I'd go with Buffalo making the biggest increase in points out of the bunch, doesn't necessarily mean they'll make the play-offs though.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharks9

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Ottawa has the best team of the bunch. Not sure what the hell went wrong this year but I think they'll bounce back next year barring a firesale and moving EK.
My thoughts exactly. I see the Sens as the only team out of the bunch with a realistic shot at getting a wild card spot next year. A LOT went wrong this year.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Arizona
Ottawa is a mess
Montreal is f***ing crazy
Buffalo something toxic going on
Arizona maybe is a cheap team but getting it together ...
Strome is a legit Nhl player and it helps a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad