Next years Avs (2018) / Leafs (2017)

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
For two straight seasons the team to previously finish dead last has gone on to make the playoffs the following year. Which team to finish bottom 6 in 2018 do you predict is most likely to make the playoffs in 2019?

Vancouver
Detroit
Montreal
Arizona
Ottawa
Buffalo

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I could see Vancouver, Montreal, and maybe Arizona making the playoffs next year from that list, but so much can change from now to the start of next season.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I picked Buffalo because what they have is good young talent. Eichel is approaching top 10-15 NHL player already with the potential to be a top 3-5 player in his prime, O'Reilly is a nice piece at center for them so they have the middle solidified. Young forwards like Nylander and Mittlestadt (best player in last year's draft imo and will prove so over time) will look to win spots next year and make ROY cases and while they are thin at defense, so are were the leafs. Risto is a really good young D-Man. He may or may not be atrocious defensively but that can be masked by adding a stay at home player to allow him to focus on what he does best, create offense at really good rates. Think first move they gotta make is acquire a good goaltender, and then let the players play to their strengths in a system. This is a good draft, and adding a Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina type prospect who imo are all NHL ready, accelerates the process a little than some of the other teams listed.

So if they can add a depth defenseman that can give you league average ability, a solid goalie and one of these NHL ready players end up with the Sabres, I don't see why not. On paper at least.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Arizona are most likely out of that group. They played well for the second half of the season, Raanta is a good goaltender and they have plenty of young players with room to grow.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Should be easy enough... Both those last place teams had historically unsustainable low shooting %. Who in the bottom 5 has the worst shooting %, they should rebound the most.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
2017-18 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

Buffalo and Montreal were last at 7.7%.

I would bet on both of those teams rising, depending on health and coaching. Not sure they make the playoffs but I think Buffalo is closer than Montreal to doing that (at least right now). Both teams might draft 1st and 2nd, Buffalo adds another star D and Montreal adds a star center and suddenly the teams depth doesn't look as bad.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I could see Vancouver, Montreal, and maybe Arizona making the playoffs next year from that list, but so much can change from now to the start of next season.

Montreal?
An aging, horrific blueline?
the worst center depth in the league -
Winger depth is ok
Price had a horrific year.

Montreal can't sniff the Lightning, Bruins, or the Leafs. Heck, good luck leap-frogging the Panthers.

No, the Habs are missing the playoffs next year. Good riddance.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Hard to say now, because we dont know what those teams will do in the offseason.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the Habs getting a wildcard spot next year.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Montreal?
An aging, horrific blueline?
the worst center depth in the league -
Winger depth is ok
Price had a horrific year.

Montreal can't sniff the Lightning, Bruins, or the Leafs. Heck, good luck leap-frogging the Panthers.

No, the Habs are missing the playoffs next year. Good riddance.
Nice of you to add something useful to the thread...

This is a prediction thread, so I don't think it's wrong to say that I PREDICT Montreal could end up in a playoff spot next year. Price returning to form, Weber being healthy, and if Bergevin finds some marginal centers I could see Montreal have a decent enough season to get in a Wild Card spot.

I'm sorry Montreal causes you to lose sleep at night.

Reactions: sharks9 and Pure

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

This is a prediction thread, so I don't think it's wrong to say that I PREDICT Montreal could end up in a playoff spot next year. Price returning to form, Weber being healthy, and if Bergevin finds some marginal centers I could see Montreal have a decent enough season to get in a Wild Card spot.

If pigs could fly...

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I picked Buffalo because what they have is good young talent. Eichel is approaching top 10-15 NHL player already with the potential to be a top 3-5 player in his prime, O'Reilly is a nice piece at center for them so they have the middle solidified. Young forwards like Nylander and Mittlestadt (best player in last year's draft imo and will prove so over time) will look to win spots next year and make ROY cases and while they are thin at defense, so are were the leafs. Risto is a really good young D-Man. He may or may not be atrocious defensively but that can be masked by adding a stay at home player to allow him to focus on what he does best, create offense at really good rates. Think first move they gotta make is acquire a good goaltender, and then let the players play to their strengths in a system. This is a good draft, and adding a Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina type prospect who imo are all NHL ready, accelerates the process a little than some of the other teams listed.

So if they can add a depth defenseman that can give you league average ability, a solid goalie and one of these NHL ready players end up with the Sabres, I don't see why not. On paper at least.
I picked Buffalo to make the playoffs this season and argued the fact. They let me down big time.

I think I’ll go with Ottawa, I think they have the best roster out of the bottom six if they keep EK around for half the season, Duchene gets more used to the system, and they bring in at least one decent to good UFA.

Edit: ofc it will have to be a WC spot, as I believe TB, Toronto, Boston and likely even Florida make the playoffs.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Montreal. They have a track record of being a decent team with this group and have a good coach, Price goes back to .920+, Drouin settles in and has a good year

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

all they need is a healthy carey price and they should be top-3 in the division

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Ottawa has the best team of the bunch. Not sure what the hell went wrong this year but I think they'll bounce back next year barring a firesale and moving EK.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I don't even think Montreal has fully bottomed out yet. They're gonna be putrid next year. Vancouver will take a step back or stagnate losing the Sedins. Of that group the clear choice is Arizona. They wern't all that awful to finish the year, it was their start that killed them.

Reactions: Trojans86

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Ottawa keeps Karlsson and can sort out their goaltending, then they've got as good of a chance as anyone. That's a team with some good forwards and a solid little prospect pool and a guy who can be the best defenseman in the league when he's on. That's a lot to work with. If they trade Karlsson, well it's dark days for this city. Arizona has also played well recently and has good building blocks for a team.

Vancouver, Detroit, and Buffalo are all bottom 5 next year unless they make drastic changes or get Dahlin/Tavares. I predict that Montreal will keep floundering with Bergevin at the helm, though a healthy Price and Weber would see them closer to the bubble (netting a worse pick yet no playoffs for their efforts).

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Tough to say, Buffalo if they can hire a good coach. Vancouver might have a shot too if they get Dahlin and Petterson has a solid rookie campaign.

But I would say Detroit makes an odd and unexpected appearance, like the Jets did in 2014-15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad