next Superpest Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Zenon Konopka-Anaheim

He was crazy at the Pacific Division Tournament. I've never seen someone go so out of their way to talk trash to the other team during the warmup skate.

And throughout the games trash talking the other bench as he'd skate by.

He is currently 5th on Cincy of the AHL in points and is third in penalty minutes.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
Anybody know who'll become the next Tyson Nash/Darcy Tucker/ Jordin Tootoo?

Would these players fit the bill?:

Petr Kanko
Martin Karsums
Darryl Bootland

If not, anybody know of any others?

Tootoo a superpest? I don't think so. He's an idiot. He does nothing but skate around trying to hit everything that moves, even if it means being dirty, which alot of his plays are. I don't see him as a pest at all. Pests are supposed to be able to throw other teams off their games, Tootoo doesn't do that. At least not from what I've seen. One of the most overrated young players in the league, IMO.

denphis

to have a superpest he would have to fall in the barnaby mold, everyone hates that guy

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Is it okay to call a defenseman a pest? If so, Kevin Bieska might qualify. He pisses off other teams forwards with his stickwork and aggressiveness. I don't know if he's a true pest though, cause he won't back down from anybody that wants to fight.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Carcillo

Talent Analysis

Carcillo is a strong power forward who’s playing in his sophomore season in the OHL currently. He works hard and is extremely physical. Carcillo isn’t at all afraid to drop the mitts and duke it out. He’s a powerful skater who loves to crash the net and possesses a pretty good set of hands, allowing him to work close to the net. He forechecks and backchecks harder than most his age. Carcillo has a very powerful shot and uses it a lot. He needs to calm down a bit at times however, and is a bit undisciplined, causing him to take stupid penalties. Carcillo is an adept agitator prospect.

blackgoldblue

Feb 15, 2004
McDonald19 said:
Zenon Konopka-Anaheim

He was crazy at the Pacific Division Tournament. I've never seen someone go so out of their way to talk trash to the other team during the warmup skate.

And throughout the games trash talking the other bench as he'd skate by.

He is currently 5th on Cincy of the AHL in points and is third in penalty minutes.

Konopka is definitely from the Tucker mold. I am from Wheeling, where he played in the ECHL last year, so I got to see him play quite a few times. This guy is tough as nails. I have seen him play with a broken nose swollen so big that it looked like it took up his whole face. The best part was it did not change his game a bit, he was still getting in peoples faces, etc. He has real courage for a guy not too big in stature and I believe he has the ability contribute some offense in the NHL. Not so much as a sniper, but as an agitator like a Tucker or Barnaby. I am still bummed the Pens let him slip out of the organization. Best of luck to him though.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Kritty said:
Tootoo a superpest? I don't think so. He's an idiot. He does nothing but skate around trying to hit everything that moves, even if it means being dirty, which alot of his plays are. I don't see him as a pest at all. Pests are supposed to be able to throw other teams off their games, Tootoo doesn't do that. At least not from what I've seen. One of the most overrated young players in the league, IMO.

We can debate his merits with regards to hits and talent. But to say he isn't a pest is just foolish. You are letting your hatred of the guy blind you to reality. He may not have talent and you may think his hits are dirty, but he is the epitome of a pest. And it's funny, for a guy who's never thrown a team off his game, what happened up in Calgary? Everyone up their brags about how Sutter threw Oliwa out there against Tootoo towards the very end. It was that decision to goon it up that got both of them suspended. Any time you get a coach suspended, you are throwing a team off their game. Oh and I know, Tootoo wasn't out there. But do you honestly think that Sutter would have tried to goon it up if Tootoo hadn't been playing that night? I mean, why not do it to Vancouver too? Or Edmonton? He did it because of Toots. He just failed to get him. Now I realize you won't agree with my opinion on this because, like most Calgary fans, you'll side with whatever opinion minimizes the impact and effectiveness of Toots. But anyone who watches that game knows it was true.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
I haven't seen much of Brandon Prust but from what I've heard, he can be a pretty good pest at the NHL level.

As for Tootoo, of course he is a pest. He can't play hockey very well so its kind of a no-brainer or else he would not be in the NHL. He's a pest/scrub. Just like Sean Avery, except Avery has some skill.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Garfield said:
I haven't seen much of Brandon Prust but from what I've heard, he can be a pretty good pest at the NHL level.

As for Tootoo, of course he is a pest. He can't play hockey very well so its kind of a no-brainer or else he would not be in the NHL. He's a pest/scrub. Just like Sean Avery, except Avery has some skill.

Thank you. I can understand if you hate him. I can understand if he you think he's cheap and dirty. I can understand if they think he's talentless. But I can't understand why someone wouldn't think he's a pest.

hillbilly

Nov 12, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
Garfield said:

I think Prust is more of a Bang and Crash guy. Maybe a Dallas Drake type. Not so much a guy to agitate, but you better watch out for him

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
hillbilly said:
I think Prust is more of a Bang and Crash guy. Maybe a Dallas Drake type. Not so much a guy to agitate, but you better watch out for him

That sounds about right.

I've seen Drake get under a lot of people's skin but you're right, that is not his main purpose. I'd be happy with a Dallas Drake type as long as he has more offensive upside.

Old Hickory

Kritty said:
Sounds like he's gotten under your skin....

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
denphis said:
to have a superpest he would have to fall in the barnaby mold, everyone hates that guy

You hate him till he's on your team. I remeber when he used to play Atlanta during Hordichuks rookie season. Man those were good times. It was always fun watchin those two go at it.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Martin Karsums
By Kirk Luedeke

"A fiery, driven little guy with a nonstop motor and the ability to turn on the jets"

"The B’s feel he can play right away on the third line when he eventually makes the team, but Karsums’ ceiling is higher. He has the skating ability and skills to be more, but may take a little time to get there. While he may not have the elite skills of a Theo Fleury, he certainly plays a similar style of game and will do anything that the coaching staff asks of him. He’s a real team player and winner, and he comes without the emotional baggage."

The good news: Boston’s little ball of hate continued his scoring ways early in the QMJHL season, and showed his gritty side as well. A fluid skater with quickness and agility as well as breakaway speed, Karsums has the ability to back up defenses and looks like Sergei Samsonov when he takes the puck out of the corners and goes hard to the net.
Outlook: Karsums has fan favorite written all over him because of his skill and feistiness. He goes all out and wins teammates over with his character and willingness to do whatever it takes to win. He may not have the offensive skill to be an NHL scorer, but he’ll likely play because he brings so many other things to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad