Next season's Goalies

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
What do you guys think the Oilers should do with their goaltending for the 2014-15 season.

Re-sign both Bryz and Scrivens?
Let Bryz walk and try to get Reimer to roll with Reimer and Scrivens? They worked well together in Toronto and played a major roll in the Leafs getting to the playoffs last season.

Or go with completely different tandem

IMO Halak and Scrivens would be the best possible combo. Although I would be happy if Bryz and Scrivens are re-signed or even trading for Reimer and running with him and Scrivens.

What do you folks think?

Last edited:

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Trade Bryz in the deadline for picks and/or prospects, go with Scrivens till rest of the season. If he's good, resign him. Also resign Richard Bachman. Try to acquire Jonas Hiller during free agency. Plan B should be Jaroslav Halak.

Jonas Hiller + Ben Scrivens in the NHL
Richard Bachman + Laurent Brossoit in the AHL

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I highly doubt that we will sign Hiller. If I was in his shoes... being the best UFA goalie available I would either ...

a) Stay with Anaheim
b) Sign with a better team defensively (ie. Minnesota, if they don't trade for Miller)
c) Sign with the Islanders who seem closer to making the playoffs than the
Oilers

I think we will be in the Halak/Bryz/Khudobin range. Or trade for someone else.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Throw everything at Halak.

Dude is very underrated. He is still very much loved in Montreal, and he hasn't shown signs of really slowing down.

9773EC17C9F975DAE1F8EDB1C2A18.jpg

jsho

Feb 3, 2007
Oil Country
Not to many teams will be looking for goalies this offseason...ourselves and the Islanders are the ones that will be trying to land a big name likely.

Calgary might but as they are rebuilding I doubt they will spend. Florida is a maybe and so is Washington. St Louis sign Halak or Elliott and they other will be a free agent. If Anaheim does extend Hiller, Fasth will be available via trade.

Miller, Hiller, Halak/Elliott are the bigger names to be available. I think the NYI make a big push at Miller and Hiller will be Edmontons biggest target. Or Fasth via trade.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Yes to FA + Scrivens, hell no to Reimer.

Hope we can snag Hiller though I expect it will take an overpay.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Whoever we overpay

I suspect Bryz and Scrivens will run as fast as they can

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I don't mind Scirvens as a back up, they better throw a bunch of money at a real starter though.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Scrivens and a new starter. Scrivens would be at the very least a very reliable back up for Edmonton. Hopefully they can find that starter through the free agency. I hope that we are able to get Halak.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we don't end up with both starting next year, I could see us trading for Cam Ward in the off season. His role is in the process of being usurped in Carolina and he could potentially benefit from a change in scenery.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I would be pleased if we got one of Ward, Hiller or Halak and kept Scrivens.
If we don't get one of the 3 mentioned above (or someone of that caliber that hasn't been mentioned) I will be disappointed.

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Hiller or halak with scrivens

Would be happy with bryz(1-2year deal) and scrivens (3 year)

Sloth Slothersons*

I would say Scrivens + Hiller/Ward.

Didn't vote for that option because Reimer.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
Im quite sure Scrivens will be back unless he plays his way off the team for the rest of the season.

Other than him, we will probably go hard after Hiller, maybe Halak (although im not a fan of the idea of him as our #1), but a real darkhorse for me would be one of Ward/Khudobin.

Ward has played terrible, but has been the Canes #1 goalie for years, and has a hefty contract, while Khudobin has played excellent but is a UFA. One of them will likely have to go, and Ward is more of a local boy...

If all else fails, I could see us giving Bryz another year or 2.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think it'll be scrivens and X. The unknown will probably be in order of likelyness: Hiller, Halak, Miller.
in my opinion, and this is just going off the map here it should be Thomas Greiss, the guys been great this year and is 27, could be a chance to get a surprise at a low $ amount with plenty of hockey in him(bishop).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad