Next Seasons Calder Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Icetime arguments are valid when talking about proven scorers ie Havlat's production would rise with more icetime. It is not valid when talking about unproven rookies.

Corvus Corax

Prospectin
Apr 22, 2005
Northern BC
i thik if ovechkin doesnt come over then it will be some dark horse prospect that no one has mentioned or would think of. Kind of thing that almost happened last season with bergeron

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
I'll throw in my dark horse. Anthony Stewart. Someone was looking for a guy out of nowhere playing for a non-contender. Here's your man. Cats need help up front and are more than willing to throw him up on the frst couple lines.....could bring him a few points. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
AnThGrt said:
Agreed i think people are overrating Crosby's first year Ovekchin is only one year older but that could mean a lot and he is used to playing with bigger people. I think it will be between Ovekchin and Lehtonen if he starts there are several possibilities - Crosby, Malkin (If he comes), Carter (Everyone listing him i think no chance), Phaneuf, Suter, etc....
I think it totally depends on where Crosby ends up ----- if it's on a "good" team he might only get fourth line minutes whereas Ovechkin is pretty much guaranteed to be playing top line minutes in addition to power play. Now, if Crosby ends up on a “bad†team and can log massive amounts of ice time, he just might pull it off.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Yup and Crosby will win it! I have a feeling he will go to a team that actually has a decent supporting cast liek Columbus(Nash), Atlanta, etc..

I agree. If Crosby goes to a team like CBJ, he could still have ice time comparable to Ovechkin, but if he gets to play on a line with superior talent, then he would have the edge

amon

Jul 20, 2005
Montreal
its not about minutes its about talent wherever he goes he will have time because he is mature and he cant play . I dont see a team that his so good to let play crosby on a fourth line :teach:

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
Ovechkin might take it,however if Kari Lehtonen starts in Atlanta, he might stand a chance as well. Crosby,Carter, and PHaneuf should all be canidates.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Look at the supporting casts. Ice time isn't everything. You don't think Crosby will rack up more points playing with Lidstrom, Kronwall, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lang, etc. than Ovechkin will playing with Zubrus and...er, um...yeah, exactly.
The best rookie doesn't have to win the scoring race, though.

flyercide

Feb 27, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
I compiled a list of every player listed in this thread. I think it would be interesting to see someone knowledgeable sort the list from best to worst.

Anyways, it's good prep for anyone participating in Hockey Pools. Plus, I can look back at it in few wks if my h. pool decides to continue. :p: Interest is at all time low.

Crosby, ?, F
Ovechkin, WAS, F
Lehtonen, ATL, G
Phaneuf, CAL, D
Carter, PHI, F
Richards, PHI, F
Nittymaki, PHI, G
Stewart, FLA, F
Malkin, PIT, F
Coburn, ATL, D
Suter, NSV, D
Barker, CHI, D
Seabrooke
Keith
Perezhogen, MTL, F
Kronwall, DET
Parise, NJ, F
Vanek, BUF, F
Jokinen
Ward
Wellwood
Tyutin, NYR, D
Lundqvist, NYR, G
Pouliot, EDM,
Bochenski, OTT,
Fleury, PIT, G (Eligible?)
Perry
Koivu, MIN, F
Kostitsyn, MTL, F
Miller, BUF, G (Eligible?)
Stastny, BOS

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I'm with Epsilon on Lehtonen. I think he'll be very good, and a lock if the Thrashers make the playoffs.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that if Lehtonen doesn't win it, someone other than Ovechkin and Crosby will.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
amon said:
its not about minutes its about talent wherever he goes he will have time because he is mature and he cant play . I dont see a team that his so good to let play crosby on a fourth line
He lands in a place like Philly he'll start on the fourth line and might not even see PP time until several months into the season.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
ice berg slim said:
So are we in agreeance that this is gonna be the best calder race in a long time?

Without a doubt. There's two years of rookies eligible for this year's Calder. Not to mention two unbelieveably hyped #1 overall picks and a very solid amount of good prospects coming up to the big leagues this year. Exciting times for the NHL.

One big question I have that interests me greatly...Will (if they have it which i'm assuming they will) shootouts goals count for regular season goal totals. I'm hoping they do.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
HockeyCritter said:
He lands in a place like Philly he'll start on the fourth line and might not even see PP time until several months into the season.

I doubt he'd be on the 4th line. Philly really has three strong lines and Im sure he'd be part of one them IMO. PP he'll get alot of ice no matter what.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think Atlanta will be pretty strong this year....Lehtonen really has the best shot at it. If Crosby went to a loaded offensive team or the Capitals land a 1st line quality center/right winger then it might be different....IMO.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I have run Calder races on this website and done very well. However, I fully admit this year is a crapshoot. With the year off and a TON of highly ranked guys coming in, it will be almost impossible to guess with superb accuracy.

However, my guesses are the following - though these will likely change after training camps get underway:

Calder Trophy will go to Kari Lehtonen

Alexander Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and ... *sigh* name escapes me at the moment, that Czech centreman from Detroit, Jsomething Hsomething. I'm not good with names... will both be close. However, Marc-Andre Fleury, if not for his ineligability, would challenge them all too.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Jay Thompson said:
... *sigh* name escapes me at the moment, that Czech centreman from Detroit, Jsomething Hsomething. I'm not good with names...

Jiri Hudler? (although I'm not sure if you're joking about forgetting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad