Next season PO perspective

get25

Oct 17, 2015
We had a really bad season especially given the previous 100 and 110 points seasons.

Before the PO started, Washington (and Pens) vs Hawks were favorites.

Now is time to take a leap of faith (or disbelief) in the organization.

What do you think will happen with the Habs in 2016-17?

get25

Oct 17, 2015
A wild card team getting eliminated in the first round.
Well SJS finished 6th in the West, had 98 points and are going for the Cup (finally...).
With three points less they are the Wild card and NSH is top-6.

Took them seven games to win against the Predators.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Well SJS finished 6th in the West, had 98 points and are going for the Cup (finally...).
With three points less they are the Wild card and NSH is top-6.

Took them seven games to win against the Predators.

You're comparing our team to San Jose really? There are as many parallels to draw as there are cures for cancer.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
If Price stays healthy and is still Price, and the team plays similarly to this season, we're definitely going to be amongst the best teams in the league, and I could see a nice run up to the conference finals, maybe even to the finals if the whole team stays healthy throughout the playoffs.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Depends what bergevin does. If we acquires 2 top 6 forwards,a #4 dman, a healthy price, and a competent coaching staff(hopefully we suck in the first part of the season so the staff could get fired like Columbus) then I can't see how we don't make the ECF or even the SCF.

Altough if nothing happens with a healthy Price we make it to 2nd round without a healty price we are bottom 5 in the league.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Playoff team that wont show up and get smoked in the first round while everyone talks about how great it was we made the playoffs and that's all that matters.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
You're comparing our team to San Jose really? There are as many parallels to draw as there are cures for cancer.
Agreed: this season we are out of PO.

Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Markov and Petry would never make it in SJS line-up.:sarcasm:

You may not see it but if Lehkonen and Shipayev/UFA are added and becomes true top-6, we may very well become a true contender.

The way you present it, we might as well tank for the next 20 years.

For me, any team who has Price can make it in PO. If you add the rest of the core we could go very far indeed.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Agreed: this season we are out of PO.

Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Markov and Petry would never make it in SJS line-up.:sarcasm:

You may not see it but if Lehkonen and Shipayev/UFA are added and becomes true top-6, we may very well become a true contender.

The way you present it, we might as well tank for the next 20 years.

For me, any team who has Price can make it in PO. If you add the rest of the core we could go very far indeed.

If Scott Bakula Quantum leaps into Therriens body we might have a half decent coach.

You think maybe we should pay someone to acquire talent for our top 6 that has I dunno played in the NHL before? I know it's a crazy idea and I would love another 4 years of trying out every rookie and retread we can get our hands on in the top 6 but who knows right? Nah lets gamble another season on a couple of nobodies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Scott Bakula Quantum leaps into Therriens body we might have a half decent coach.

You think maybe we should pay someone to acquire talent for our top 6 that has I dunno played in the NHL before? I know it's a crazy idea and I would love another 4 years of trying out every rookie and retread we can get our hands on in the top 6 but who knows right? Nah lets gamble another season on a couple of nobodies.

With the way Sylvain LeMerde develops talent one of Timmins' picks might make the top six by the time Pacioretty retires.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Assume Price is healthy and our team stays the course (meaning, no major acquisitions and we're still saddled with DD), I can see us getting to the playoffs.

Now, just purely speculating:
1. Trade Subban for various combinations in many threads. Likely lose in round one (if not miss the playoffs) unless we get a stud defenceman back.

Remaining scenarios assume we keep Subban:
2. Add UFA @ <$3.5m per year, we may get out of round 1. Probably not.
3. Add one of the $5m to $7m UFAs like Okposo, Ladd or Eriksson, maybe get out of round 2. Likely not though.
4. Add Stamkos only, likely ECF.
5. Add UFA @$3.5-4 like Ship and a tier-1 UFA (not Stamkos), likely get to finals.
6. See #5, but make that UFA Stamkos and likely get to finals as well.

Now, I am assuming some half decent trades will be made as well as we got more needs than just 2 top-6 forwards. I think we need to get heavier, which none of the UFAs I've mentioned are, though Eriksson's style I think will work best for our top-6. I am also not taking into account how some of the prospects may impact our team this year. If Lehkonen, Ghetto and Carr become game breakers, all bets are off.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Too early to predict anything. We don't know which bargains will be available this summer. But if they somehow manage to add talent to this team (hah!) I am bullish on our chances. Price and Subban and Chucky and Casper are great great players.

Also, "loose", really?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Too early to predict anything. We don't know which bargains will be available this summer. But if they somehow manage to add talent to this team (hah!) I am bullish on our chances. Price and Subban and Chucky and Casper are great great players.

Also, "loose", really?

Yeah, our group is a great core and in this crappy conference, we should make the playoffs provided everyone is healthy. We do have critical needs though so a better assessment needs to wait till September.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's been very hard to stay positive, after what we just saw in the last four months of this horrible season...

The reality is, we are a playoff team with Price, and we add Price and nothing else, well we are still a playoff team that loses in the first or second round...

Changes are needed guys...and unfortunately I have lost faith in MB........so I am not expecting much, and would love to be wrong, and have him grow a pair and make some good moves...but...:shakehead

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I can only say that we'll make the playoffs, no point debating the rest without seeing our line-up for next season. With our current team, a first round win isn't out of the question but it would take a lot of luck to reach the ECF with our group of forwards.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
So a bubble team that won't sip the bubbly? :sarcasm:

One has to wonder about Shipachev signing with the Habs, the news around Datsyuk is he plans to sign with SKA, Shipachev's team, will that give Detroit the inside track on Shipachev? If Bergevin signs Vadim, I'm all in for the Habs going for the SC parade next year, adding Lehkonen also to our Top Six and the Habs become much better offensively. Defence is solid, lots of depth there and all those defence prospects received plenty of good development time due to the injuries, that reminds this poster of the way prospects were treated in the 70's. Getting their noses wet this season will better prepare them for call ups next year, they will slide into the lineup with ease.

My bet is this summer Bergevin takes the bull by the horns this season and rides him right through the streets of Montreal with the Stanley Cup next June!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One has to wonder about Shipachev signing with the Habs, the news around Datsyuk is he plans to sign with SKA, Shipachev's team, will that give Detroit the inside track on Shipachev? If Bergevin signs Vadim, I'm all in for the Habs going for the SC parade next year, adding Lehkonen also to our Top Six and the Habs become much better offensively. Defence is solid, lots of depth there and all those defence prospects received plenty of good development time due to the injuries, that reminds this poster of the way prospects were treated in the 70's. Getting their noses wet this season will better prepare them for call ups next year, they will slide into the lineup with ease.

My bet is this summer Bergevin takes the bull by the horns this season and rides him right through the streets of Montreal with the Stanley Cup next June!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Red Bull gives you wings! :laugh:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Red Bull gives you wings! :laugh:

That's a whole lot of Bull, but I'm bullish on the Habs and love their Red Jersey's, especially when they are carrying the Stanley Cup. Usually winning away from home, I grew to love those red jersey's every spring!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
we should make the playoffs, but if Therrien is still around and we don't get a couple of top six players I don't see us making it past round 2.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
With the way Sylvain LeMerde develops talent one of Timmins' picks might make the top six by the time Pacioretty retires.

Who has Sly ruined? McCarron looked great his first pro season. Hudon has had 2 excellent AHL seasons. Ghetto and Carr have been great in the A, and showing that they may be cut to be NHL players. Condon came in and was servicable in nets and Fucale had a decent rookie year down in the A.

Tinordi and Leblanc? Those two washout rejects that aren't making it anyways?

I don't see the narative that Sly is ruining the prospects. He does not have the team winning but look at his teams. Either crappy Gauthier/Gainey prospects, or every good player he gets jumps to our team. Take out Ghetto, Carr, McCarron, half the D and what would of been their number 1 goalie and you still expect the Caps to be a top team? Not to mention that the team barley has any AHL veterans either.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think there will be a lot of crow eating going on this board.

MB will improve the team upfront. Price will come back. Max, PK and Plek's will bounce back. I expect this team to be fighting for the Atlantic.

Det and Boston will continue their downward trend.
FLA will surprisingly struggle as Luongo will not have a good a year as he had this year.
TB will feel the lose of Stamkos more than some will like to admit.
Ottawa will again be a bubble team even with the great Guy Boucher.
One of BUF or TOR will surprise but both of them won't shoot to the top as their rebuilds continue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad