Next player to wear 66?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Everybody knows 99 was retired by the NHL when Gretzky retired , but i'm wondering even if it's not retire , would it be almost wrong to have the balls to wear number 66?
Sure you can say lots of players wear Orr & Howe numbers but those numbers were low ones and there was always lots of players wearing it , and lots of good ones , but in the case of Mario Lemieux the 66 is pretty much exclusively related to him , so i'm asking some questions:

Do you think it's morally wrong to wear it for a young player?
Do you think it would just be arrogant?
Do you think teams would refuse such a thing to a player?
Do you think somebody is going to wear it in the next 10 years?

Of course in 20 years the thing will have less impact.
The last time something like this could have happened was when Lindros was in the league and had the potential to big things and had a comparable number to 66 with 88 which not a lot of players was wearing , for some times nobody entering the league choosed 88 , but as Lindros aura became what it is today players like Kane and other are starting to wear it.What about Lemieux?

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
I wouldn't think it's arrogant as long as the player's reasons for doing so weren't arrogant.

As a quick example, Modano and Gretzky both wore their #s in tribute/because of Howe. The same has done with and for many numbers by many players.

The only place where it'd be arrogant or wrong to wear #66... well, it's retired there.

I could see it happening in the near future. There are plenty of kids who grew up watching (and playing) Super Mario that eventually one of them is gonna have #66 somewhere. And really, if a player is good enough (like a top 3 pick or something), most teams aren't gonna say 'naw dawg, can't wear this' to their recently drafted top prospect.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I can't see anybody wearing it again, it's too distinctive and its wearer is the kind of player whose legend will only grow. For future stat-freaks, his crazy numbers alone will cement his legacy. Then you have the whole "most physically-gifted player ever" thing, the sexy "what-if?" issues, the sheer WOW-factor his highlight reels have, the legendary playoff performances, tons of classic hockey stories like 1987 and the comeback from cancer... he'll always be in the absolute top tier of hockey gods... those factors combined with the distinction of the number itself will scare people away from wearing it for the foreseeable future.

Do I think it would be arrogant to wear it? Not at all, but I can see why some people would. It probably wouldn't be worth the trouble of offending them. And I just don't see a hockey player with the kind of personality required to try something like that.

Should teams refuse it? No, but I think they should try to dissuade people from doing it. And of course there's old school guys like Lou Lamoriello that won't let you wear your OWN quirky number let alone Lemieux's...

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Next player to wear 66?

Honestly, a jackass.

Which is to say, no one will.

Respect and appreciation for the history of the game is a lot deeper among those in the NHL than among some fans. (That is not directed at you at all, I realize you were simply posing the question.)

It's like the odd ******* in a rec league who wears #99. It's funny - that guy is always the first targeted to get plastered to the boards. :D

Some basic things are simply understood...except by those few incapable of understanding.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Can't see anyone wearing it unless they want to get chirped at.

I saw Austin Lemieux last weekend at the Robert Morris arena and he had #96 on his Junior Penguins bag.

Briere Up There*

I was watching a game from the Pens 1992 playoff run on NHL network the other day. You had Jagr doing his thing, making the other team look like fools, spinning away from checks and protecting the puck. Then he passes to Lemieux, and Mario makes what Jagr just did look like child's play. I tell you one thing, I'd love to see a young player who thinks he can fill those shoes.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
I was watching a game from the Pens 1992 playoff run on NHL network the other day. You had Jagr doing his thing, making the other team look like fools, spinning away from checks and protecting the puck. Then he passes to Lemieux, and Mario makes what Jagr just did look like child's play. I tell you one thing, I'd love to see a young player who thinks he can fill those shoes.

Heh, go to the main boards, I bet you can find an abundance of posters *cough*kids*cough* that think Crosby should be wearing #99 and OV wearing #66 ;)

Infinite Vision*

That number's as good as retired from the league, as it should be.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Next player to wear 66?

Honestly, a jackass.

Respect and appreciation for the history of the game is a lot deeper among those in the NHL than among some fans. (That is not directed at you at all, I realize you were simply posing the question.)

It's like the odd ******* in a rec league who wears #99. It's funny - that guy is always the first targeted to get plastered to the boards. :D

Some basic things are simply understood...except by those few incapable of understanding.

I fully understand that logic, and I do agree with it. But playing devil's advocate here, from a players point of view what if you just wanted to pay tribute to one of the all time greats?

Not everybody who wants to wear number 66 is arrogant and thinks they're the next Mario Lemieux. Some just want to show their respect.

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Next player to wear 66?

Honestly, a jackass.

Today...I agree...but tomorrow not so much. How many players today know the numbers of Taylor, Malone and Morenz? The guy with the next 66 on his back may be a jackass... quite likely if it's in the next 10 or twenty years...or maybe it's a guy like Lecavalier, who wears #4 out of respect for Beliveau.

There is something to the higher numbers though, that make you feel they are "taking" their number.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
quite likely if it's in the next 10 or twenty years...or maybe it's a guy like Lecavalier, who wears #4 out of respect for Beliveau.

That's a fair point. Perhaps it is a timing thing.

When I read that Vinny requested #4 to show his respect for Beliveau, my appreciation for him, in turned, increased greatly.

I think it's cool when players know and appreciate their sport's heritage and without question, NHLers seemingly do, for the most part.

I do think it would be premature to do so with #66 at this point in time however. And, as someone posted earlier, you had better be a damn good player yourself (forget about a legend) to wear that number, given that you are talking about the best of the best level. If one were to take that number, even if its 30 years from now, he'd better well know who wore it previously, and make a point of stating as much.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Right now? Sounds like a hockey version of Lebron James to me.

In 50 years? Cool. Appreciation for hockey history.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
If someone wears 66 in honour of Lemieux because they idolized him, shouldnt that be pretty much the same as the player who wears #4 to honour Bobby Orr/Jean Beliveau or #9 for Howe/Richard?

I doubt it'll happen, but I really don't have a problem with it.

Edit: I didnt inclued #99 because obviously, its the only one retired.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yzerman wore 19 to emulate his boyhood idol Trottier, and he almost lived up to the number.

As for 66, if a 1st overall NHL pick with gaudy juniors numbers wishes to wear his hero's number then I'd respect that... until he sucked.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
That's a fair point. Perhaps it is a timing thing.

When I read that Vinny requested #4 to show his respect for Beliveau, my appreciation for him, in turned, increased greatly.

I think it's cool when players know and appreciate their sport's heritage and without question, NHLers seemingly do, for the most part.

I do think it would be premature to do so with #66 at this point in time however. And, as someone posted earlier, you had better be a damn good player yourself (forget about a legend) to wear that number, given that you are talking about the best of the best level. If one were to take that number, even if its 30 years from now, he'd better well know who wore it previously, and make a point of stating as much.

I mean I started the thread and I was born in Montreal and always lived there , but Béliveau wasn't Lemieux , we're ( Montrealais ) all a little bit secretly jealous that Lemieux hasnt play with us since he's from Montreal himself ;) , but anyway the fact that Lecavalier is wearing the 4 doesnt mean nothing to us , Beliveau will always be the 4 , but I admit Lecavalier is one of the player that can ressemble Jean , and add the fact he's quebecois that's why we had so much interestest in him , not to mention the long term lack of tall number 1 center in this franchise.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think we'll see a #66 ever again.

Doubt that.

Hell, Gino Odjick wore it for his debut in the 1990-91 season before switching to 29 so it has been worn since Lemieux made it 'his'.

We see all kinds of 55/77/88s floating around, and sooner or later someone will crack it out again.

Despite all of our discussion of Gretzky vs. Lemieux here, honestly, Lemieux's number doesn't have near the historical punch that Gretzky's does. It still would be kinda weird to see someone wear it now, but in another 5-10 years most of that stigma will be gone.

Maximus Taylor

Mar 21, 2008
Where do YOU live?
I don't see people wearing it again to be honest.

First, it's a very distinctive number, while other numbers are less distinctive. 9 for Richard, Hull and Howe was probably worn at the same time in the league by others, and used everywhere in small leagues because, well, the low numbers were the usual numbers. 66 was used mainly because of Mario in the lower leagues (if I remember correctly), not before.

Second, will kids that get drafted today really have watched Mario play growing up? Not too sure about timing so people wanting to use it as tribute. The only exception I can see is someone, really talented, that grew up in the Pittsburgh region and that is more than familiar with Mario's legacy from that standpoint (like Lecavalier and Beliveau).

Third, I find, maybe incorrectly, that hockey circles are pretty protective of their history, so I can't see teams letting a young player using 66 that easily.

Finally, even a fantastic player, like Crosby, drafted by Pittsburgh, living at Mario's house, would not (if he could have for the sake of the argument) have lived down wearing 66... people would have been on his case all the time.

I think 66 and 99 (league-wide retirement notwithstanding) are well protected from that standpoint. Maybe 87 will be some day down the road as well (only, again, because of distinctiveness).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Brand Awareness

From the standpoint of brand awareness there is little incentive for a potential superstar to wear a number that is identified with a retired great.

Sidney Crosby wearing #87 and making it part of his "brand" image creates more awareness than Alexander Ovechkin and the #8.

Stamkos and Tavares both chose #91, interesting but in the case of Tavares the latecomer perhaps a better choice could have been made.

Even mid-round picks play the branding game. Danick Paquette has an image based on the #47 locally in the area of Montreal where he was born and raised.

A minor sidebar. Youth hockey organization selling sponsorships on the player jerseys at times manage to get a premium for recognizable numbers.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I don't see people wearing it again to be honest.

First, it's a very distinctive number, while other numbers are less distinctive. 9 for Richard, Hull and Howe was probably worn at the same time in the league by others, and used everywhere in small leagues because, well, the low numbers were the usual numbers. 66 was used mainly because of Mario in the lower leagues (if I remember correctly), not before.

Second, will kids that get drafted today really have watched Mario play growing up? Not too sure about timing so people wanting to use it as tribute. The only exception I can see is someone, really talented, that grew up in the Pittsburgh region and that is more than familiar with Mario's legacy from that standpoint (like Lecavalier and Beliveau).

Third, I find, maybe incorrectly, that hockey circles are pretty protective of their history, so I can't see teams letting a young player using 66 that easily.

Finally, even a fantastic player, like Crosby, drafted by Pittsburgh, living at Mario's house, would not (if he could have for the sake of the argument) have lived down wearing 66... people would have been on his case all the time.

I think 66 and 99 (league-wide retirement notwithstanding) are well protected from that standpoint. Maybe 87 will be some day down the road as well (only, again, because of distinctiveness).

Donald Brashear isn't THAT well-respected.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
From the standpoint of brand awareness there is little incentive for a potential superstar to wear a number that is identified with a retired great.

Sidney Crosby wearing #87 and making it part of his "brand" image creates more awareness than Alexander Ovechkin and the #8.

Stamkos and Tavares both chose #91, interesting but in the case of Tavares the latecomer perhaps a better choice could have been made.

Even mid-round picks play the branding game. Danick Paquette has an image based on the #47 locally in the area of Montreal where he was born and raised.

A minor sidebar. Youth hockey organization selling sponsorships on the player jerseys at times manage to get a premium for recognizable numbers.

I think Ovechkin will make number 8 his own. I mean they already call him the Great 8. The best previous player with the number 8 was off the top of my head Teemu Selanne, and he's already not far off of passing him for a better career.

Datsyukian

Jul 27, 2010
I think Ovechkin will make number 8 his own. I mean they already call him the Great 8. The best previous player with the number 8 was off the top of my head Teemu Selanne, and he's already not far off of passing him for a better career.

Cam Neely?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad