Next OHL Commissioner

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
My insiders are telling me the next commissioner is someone with the last name Hunter.....lol. All joking aside, who do you think will be the next commissioner? Who would you like to see? Throw out some good candidates if you have any!

Reactions: OHL 17

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Where can I download an application?
Here you go:

Commissioner

This might be the key part:

“The Commissioner will have a minimum of seven years of proven experience in leadership and commercially focused roles with a keen ability to build consensus across complex, multi-stakeholder organizations. The successful candidate will have proven business acumen, be a strong negotiator and a demonstrated ability to lead individuals and organizations to accomplished established goals and future vision.”

Edit: of course, if you plan to leave your lucrative position on this Board, you’ll need a salary to make it all worthwhile. Here’s what Branch made the last two years (reported because the league took government cash during the pandemic): David Branch's Salary History at Ontario Major Junior Hockey League. Ontario's Sunshine List

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Since we’re throwing out scenarios …

Make of this what you will. When VP of Hockey Ops Ted Baker retired from the league office in the spring, Barclay Branch was immediately hired as his replacement. No executive search firm, no application process, no candidate interviews by the Board or its executive committee. Instant VP.

This doesn’t mean Barclay is even in the running for the commissioner gig, but it does mean he’s got a $200K per year job with the league pretty much for as long as he wants it. The league only has two VPs — Barclay Branch in Hockey Ops and Cole Butterworth in Business Ops (he left the CHL office after 15 years to take the OHL gig in 2021).

How will the Commissioner search work out?

Well, if you were the owner of an OHL team, would you want to hire a new Commish who runs the league like God, the way Dave Branch did since 1979? Or would you want someone who is more deferential to the owners and wields far less independent power? An insider you know, or an outsider you don’t?

So here’s my guess: the OHL is going to move to a “Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner” structure. I’m going with Joe Birch gets the Commish gig and shortly thereafter appoints Barclay to the new Deputy Commish job. 3-5 years from now, Joe Birch moves on and Barclay moves up.

Birch worked in the league office for years and knows how it works. He’s a “quasi-owner” now as the CAO and governor of the community-owned Kitchener Rangers, and he also sits on the OHL board’s all-powerful executive committee. My guess is that the owners will endorse him and he’ll want the job.

Reactions: rve24

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Since we’re throwing out scenarios …

Make of this what you will. When VP of Hockey Ops Ted Baker retired from the league office in the spring, Barclay Branch was immediately hired as his replacement. No executive search firm, no application process, no candidate interviews by the Board or its executive committee. Instant VP.

This doesn’t mean Barclay is even in the running for the commissioner gig, but it does mean he’s got a $200K per year job with the league pretty much for as long as he wants it. The league only has two VPs — Barclay Branch in Hockey Ops and Cole Butterworth in Business Ops (he left the CHL office after 15 years to take the OHL gig in 2021).

How will the Commissioner search work out?

Well, if you were the owner of an OHL team, would you want to hire a new Commish who runs the league like God, the way Dave Branch did since 1979? Or would you want someone who is more deferential to the owners and wields far less independent power? An insider you know, or an outsider you don’t?

So here’s my guess: the OHL is going to move to a “Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner” structure. I’m going with Joe Birch gets the Commish gig and shortly thereafter appoints Barclay to the new Deputy Commish job. 3-5 years from now, Joe Birch moves on and Barclay moves up.

Birch worked in the league office for years and knows how it works. He’s a “quasi-owner” now as the CAO and governor of the community-owned Kitchener Rangers, and he also sits on the OHL board’s all-powerful executive committee. My guess is that the owners will endorse him and he’ll want the job.
Why do I smell a Doug Ford type scenario in the middle of this?

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Wow ! I never imagined that Dave Branch commanded that high a salary. I'd venture a guess that
his paycheque is more than some owners around the league.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
174564273-heenan.jpg

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
According to Jeff Marek …

“With OHL Commissioner Dave Branch poised to retire at season’s end the search for his replacement continues.

The leading candidate heading into the process, Kitchener Rangers CEO Joe Birch who’s worked at various positions in the OHL off and on going back to 2006, pulled out and it sounds like an extension with the Rangers is imminent.

Everyone is extremely tight-lipped about who else is still involved here, but other names include North Bay Battalion GM Adam Dennis, former VP of Hockey Ops for the Los Angeles Kings and former Owen Sound Attack GM Mike Futa, and at least one other candidate.“

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

“With OHL Commissioner Dave Branch poised to retire at season’s end the search for his replacement continues.

The leading candidate heading into the process, Kitchener Rangers CEO Joe Birch who’s worked at various positions in the OHL off and on going back to 2006, pulled out and it sounds like an extension with the Rangers is imminent.

Everyone is extremely tight-lipped about who else is still involved here, but other names include North Bay Battalion GM Adam Dennis, former VP of Hockey Ops for the Los Angeles Kings and former Owen Sound Attack GM Mike Futa, and at least one other candidate.“

Is it far fetched to maybe think Tim Lukenda is in the mix?

@HockeyPops what do you think?

Edit: ignore that, a friend of mine brought up that it would likely be a conflict of interest as a owner, so doubt his names in the mix

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

futa has alot of off ice issues, i do not believe he is a legit candidate, he is a bit famous for offering out info in exchange for people publishing his name to be attached to jobs in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad