Next Mass Effect Trailer

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
On one hand...Good. Retcon that piece of shit Andromeda arc and pretend it never happened.

On the other, you can't really go back to the milky way either. The Reapers are soundly defeated, Shepard is (presumably) dead and the galaxy is at peace.

Don't do what Star Wars did essentially recycle the big bad when it's clear there's nothing left to use there.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
On one hand...Good. Retcon that piece of shit Andromeda arc and pretend it never happened.

On the other, you can't really go back to the milky way either. The Reapers are soundly defeated, Shepard is (presumably) dead and the galaxy is at peace.

Don't do what Star Wars did essentially recycle the big bad when it's clear there's nothing left to use there.

I dunno, having Casey Hudson back to get that chip off his shoulder and send off the series he created in a positive way..........oh :(

Reactions: JaegerDice

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I dunno, having Casey Hudson back to get that chip off his shoulder and send off the series he created in a positive way..........oh :(

This is the second time he left too. There's definitely something stinky going on at Bioware. The studio's lifeblood probably hangs on them nailing this and the new Dragon Age.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So maybe I’m coming from a different perspective but why did people hate Andromeda so much?

I liked it, but also Andromeda is the only mass effect game I ever played and I bought it for $8. My only complaint was it just ended up being way too long with all the side stuff and I eventually just muscled through more towards the end to finish the main quest and skipped a lot of the final side stuff.

Reactions: Memento

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So maybe I’m coming from a different perspective but why did people hate Andromeda so much?

I liked it, but also Andromeda is the only mass effect game I ever played and I bought it for $8. My only complaint was it just ended up being way too long with all the side stuff and I eventually just muscled through more towards the end to finish the main quest and skipped a lot of the final side stuff.

It was broken, the characters were less interesting, all that clicky side quest stuff making a chore.

The big draw of the original trilogy is how engaging the characters are and your degree of control over the story. That's also why people flipped their shit on the ending because it really disregarded all the choices you made up to that point boiled down to three colors basically.

They don't need to retcon Andromeda though. It takes place in another galaxy so it can be easily ignored assuming this is a sequel series to the original. There is no quick communication or transportation between the Milky Way and Andromeda.

The issue is what do they have to do with the main threat of the original trilogy resolved and the state of thr galaxy being largely in different places depending on which ending they decide is canon.

Also Casey Hudson who directed the first trilogy just left Bioware which is concerned. Drew Karpyshyn is also long gone and he wrote the first two games and his departure definitely hurt the 3rd game.

The remastered trilogy is going to be a must buy if you never played the originals, assuming they don't ship broken...which considering Bioware's traxk record recently isn't a guarantee

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

The Reddit types won't buy a Mass Effect game if it doesn't have the same characters.

Reactions: tmurfin

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Or it might be because outside a small portion of andromeda's characters (Drack, Vetra) most of them are irreedeemably boring that only serve to waste time.

Imagine thinking a game that essentially put a beloved series on ice doesn't deserve scorn and criticism

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The radio chatter makes this sound like it's going to be a prequel, taking place during the first contact war with Garrus' species.

I'm honestly less exited for this than the trilogy remaster.

I think Bioware would be better off trying to make something new, make the next 'Mass Effect' rather than literally make the next Mass Effect.

It was a good (albeit overrated) trilogy. Let it be and make something new.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The Reddit types won't buy a Mass Effect game if it doesn't have the same characters.
This is true lol anything “new” in a series is garbage.. Until the next new thing comes out and than that last one that was garbage is now the gold standard and this one is garbage. Take a gander at the Assassins Creed subreddit for examples :laugh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

When the legendary edition of the trilogy comes out, do yourself a favor and play it. The mass effect trilogy was such a fantastic story, some of the most in depth a lovable characters in video game history.

Such a rich in depth world with people you get attached to emotionally.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So based on the trailer it seems to go by the "destroy" ending and follows Liara looking for Shepard's body (alive or dead)?

Seems like the trailer leaves a lot of possibilities, but curious if they are going to back to a "Normandy with Shepard and friends" or try something new with a new protagonist.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The radio chatter makes this sound like it's going to be a prequel, taking place during the first contact war with Garrus' species.

I'm honestly less exited for this than the trilogy remaster.

I think Bioware would be better off trying to make something new, make the next 'Mass Effect' rather than literally make the next Mass Effect.

It was a good (albeit overrated) trilogy. Let it be and make something new.

I always wondered if they'd take a shot at making a prequel but I don't think this will be it. The stuff shown in that teaser looks like it's set after ME3

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

Play the trilogy and you'll get your answer.

Andromeda may or may not be a bad game, but the bar was set beyond this world with the trilogy. Andromeda was set up for failure when it was announced.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is true lol anything “new” in a series is garbage.. Until the next new thing comes out and than that last one that was garbage is now the gold standard and this one is garbage. Take a gander at the Assassins Creed subreddit for examples :laugh:
Well AC has been garbage since 2 so idk if that's the best example.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
CD1FD5A1-9865-40FB-B3CC-ECB0711F0EDF.jpeg

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Outside of Unity, which was a technical mess upon release because it was developed with a vague next-gen target that the actual hardware undershot by a ton, even the worst AC games are simply mediocre.

The AC community is split on the change from the previous formula, and the new formula that started with Origins.

I think both have upsides and downsides. But Odyssey and Valhalla aren't anywhere near as good as Origins.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I really liked Andromeda.

I know it was terrible upon release but I played it a year later and I actually found the contrast in terms of building something as opposed to fighting something to be refreshing.

The galaxy was at peace amongst themselves in the face of a common enemy.

I think it'd be worth doing a game about trying to keep the alliances going in the face of extremist or xenophobic movements.

I highly doubt all Krogan and Salarians are just going to get along.

Some villain could be working it behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBeast and Jovavic

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I know it was terrible upon release but I played it a year later and I actually found the contrast in terms of building something as opposed to fighting something to be refreshing.
Poorly written NPCs, hardly a conversation to be found with most after a very short time playing... uninspiring quests... most feel like your just fetching instead of actually accomplishing something. None of them feel really tied to the narrative.

The Tempest was ok for a ship, but those filling it made it feel mostly empty... unlike the Normandy which felt full of real people that you actually cared about.

It lacked the depth in every aspect that the trilogy oozed with depth.

I finished it. Never thought it was AS BAD as reviews claimed, but yet I've never really had much desire to play it again.

That said, I STILL go back and play the trilogy! The writing/ story is so damn good! Yet all these years later, I'm still running into new things I haven't seen before. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible for one person to flesh out everything the games could possibly present to a player.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

The galaxy was at peace amongst themselves in the face of a common enemy.

I think it'd be worth doing a game about trying to keep the alliances going in the face of extremist or xenophobic movements.

I highly doubt all Krogan and Salarians are just going to get along.

Some villain could be working it behind the scenes.

I really enjoyed andromeda as well. picked it up for 12$ and it was pretty enjoyable.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The trailer definitely seems to suggest a sequel, which is a bold move. Best guess given that footage would be a "Destroy" ending as canon.

As long as they take it easy and don't "Star Wars" it up (AKA invalidating much of the previous trilogy's stakes), I'll be cautiously optimistic. VERY cautiously.

Dragon Age, on the other hand...man I want a good continuation of Solas' story line and man it was good to hear Varric's voice again, but if they make that into another Anthem like the rumour suggested....just yikes.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What if this game is to rescue Shepard from that unknown world?

That would be an interesting idea assuming Shep's not dead. The problem with having an ending with "choice" like 3 did is it leaves a lot of shit up in the air or with no confirmed if they were considered canon or not. The ending in some cases shows him amongst the rubble of London with it ending on him taking a breath, but if i recall that requires certain things to actually trigger, leaving it up in the air like the rest of the ending stuff.

They would either have to pick the destroy ending as canon (since it's the whole goal of the series) or somehow pick up eons in the future.

My buddy's crackpot theory is the game should focus on the Leviathans return from their exile to try and establish dominance after the galaxy, using Shepard as a pawn to clear the Reapers out so they can reclaim their place. Not completely insane given those things seemingly can live for an apparently stupidly long time given they were around for the initial harvest of species and they seem to have otherworldly abilities.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
There's a lot they could do with keeping the Shepard situation a little more vague, but we will see what they do.

I will say there's a lot of potential in a rebuild-the-galaxy type story line, although that might be a little close to the Andromeda pitch....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad