Next HoF Punter? — Matt Ariaza cut by Bills after being named as defendant in underage gang rape lawsuit (8/28), cleared by prosecutors (5/8)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s not as prudent to launch into claiming purposeful false accusations as it’s plausible to simply not remember facts clearly in a traumatic experience. But then again, who else thinks a countersuit is coming?

Reactions: MXD and LT

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I can see this being similar to a Trevor Bauer deal, he might have to go play in the CFL or one of the USFL/XFL before getting to the NFL

He may not have done anything wrong, but he's also just a punter, so I can see teams just feeling it still isn't worth the coaches and teammates to have to answer questions about him

Marquette King was a proven pro-bowler but he ended up out of the league due to an "attitude or personality" issue

Edit: King was not a pro-bowler but had led the league in punting previously

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can see this being similar to a Trevor Bauer deal, he might have to go play in the CFL or one of the USFL/XFL before getting to the NFL

He may not have done anything wrong, but he's also just a punter, so I can see teams just feeling it still isn't worth the coaches and teammates to have to answer questions about him

Marquette King was a proven pro-bowler but he ended up out of the league due to an "attitude or personality" issue

King also earned himself a few unsportsmanlike penalties, which are 15 yards, so that is going to kill any net on a punt. It's 35 net on a 50 yard punt if he gets a penalty like. He's no Lechler who was an excellent punter for the Raiders before King. Raiders are fine now with Cole handling the punt duties. Just not worth the penalties.

I think it’s not as prudent to launch into claiming purposeful false accusations as it’s plausible to simply not remember facts clearly in a traumatic experience. But then again, who else thinks a countersuit is coming?
Honestly, I can't see that happening. There is no financial benefit to doing that nor does he have massive career earnings to spend money to prove a point. He signed his rookie deal, but with only $216K of signing bonuses. After taxes and so, I doubt he puts that into lawyer fees.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

So punish a guy who is innocent even more?

Camp is around corner and plenty of NFL teams can use P upgrade

There should be no reason media or anyone harrasses him at this point and if they do they should be called out on it instead of having his life further ruined

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This isn't similar to Trevor Bauer at all. He actually committed crimes.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

There should be no reason media or anyone harrasses him at this point and if they do they should be called out on it instead of having his life further ruined
Players like Adrian Peterson were placed on an exempt list, same with Watson. I guess being a rookie and low value contract with $216k in signing bonus, easier for Buffalo to simply walk away?

Wonder if this changes how something like this is handled in the future?

Didn’t follow it too closely last season. For legal reasons I get him not talking at the time. Pretty shocking to hear the police say he wasn’t present and that this was not a he said she said situation.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Fair or not it will almost assuredly be brought up when and if he joins a team, and some teams will likely not want to deal with that for a punter

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
This isn't similar to Trevor Bauer at all. He actually committed crimes.
Never charged with anything. They wouldn't even give the woman a protective order due to a lack of evidence. And California is hardcore about these things. If Pasadena couldn't even find a reason to arrest him, then it's likely it was as consensual as he claimed.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Women who falsely accuse a man and ruin his career should be prosecuted. This is bullshit.

Or perhaps our society shouldn’t be so quick to throw a man’s life away based on the unreliable words of a “victim”.

Justice system is so unbalanced in favor of women it’s sickening.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Women who falsely accuse a man and ruin his career should be prosecuted. This is bullshit.

Or perhaps our society shouldn’t be so quick to throw a man’s life away based on the unreliable words of a “victim”.

Justice system is so unbalanced in favor of women it’s sickening.
There is a difference in something happening and it ending up being a he/she said thing.

Completely different scenario if there was no actual incident that occurred. That definitely needs to be prosecuted.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Having had my butt up law books far too long, I can safely say that a complaint with allegations must be interpreted within a particular framework the unlearned do not have.

A complaint in court is merely a list of allegations.
The allegations can comprise two sorts of "facts". One that corresponds with actual facts. Another is just a "false fact" to keep the complaint alive against a motion to dismiss, mislead or consume the time of the respondent, or be actually outright irrelevant.

There are torts for abusing the system, but they are not easy to obtain a favorable judgment for. Aside from defmation, procedural torts such as malicious prosecution, malicious use of process, and abuse of process exist, but again, not easy to obtain a favorable judgment or even find a lawyer willing to puruse those torts(lawyers are unofficially officeres of the court, so they try to get by with as little as possible as to not reveal every common law principle present in the appeals books; this common law not directly influenced by any sort of democratic system except the "bent" of the judges. ).

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
With the civil suit being dropped I can see a team signing him in the spring, or even in the direct offseason.

The Steelers should sign him now but they won't because they feel they are above such things. He'll probably sign with a rival and haunt them for years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the civil suit being dropped I can see a team signing him in the spring, or even in the direct offseason.

The Steelers should sign him now but they won't because they feel they are above such things. He'll probably sign with a rival and haunt them for years.
He’s a punter. Unless he’s awesome at fakes like Hekker has been or just great with hang time and distance, as well as downing punts inside the 10, only so much impact from a P. K has greater importance.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
He’s a punter. Unless he’s awesome at fakes like Hekker has been or just great with hang time and distance, as well as downing punts inside the 10, only so much impact from a P. K has greater importance.
Punters make or break games. If this guy can bomb it with hang time for the coverage to catch up, reversing field position(even if you go three and out in your own end) is a killer advantage in a league where close games are everywhere and officials are a landmine of discretion.

Seeing Ray Guy bail out the Raiders from Washington potentially making it interesting was huge in that game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Between a bad to great punter sure. But I don’t think punters haunt teams. I’d rather pay for a K and have a middle of the pack P.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Unless I'm missing something, he still admitted to having consensual sex with the 17 year old in a separate encounter that night, not alleged as the 'rape'. The problem is he was 21 and the age of consent in CA is 18.

While the girl could have turned 18 the next day, and it's possible they could have gone to high school together given their ages, that still seems like Statutory Rape technically. I understand why they didn't pursue that charge criminally given circumstances and the bigger incident that was alleged.

But I think that could be a problem for him in terms of getting another chance.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Unless I'm missing something, he still admitted to having consensual sex with the 17 year old in a separate encounter that night, not alleged as the 'rape'. The problem is he was 21 and the age of consent in CA is 18.

While the girl could have turned 18 the next day, and it's possible they could have gone to high school together given their ages, that still seems like Statutory Rape technically. I understand why they didn't pursue that charge criminally given circumstances and the bigger incident that was alleged.

But I think that could be a problem for him in terms of getting another chance.

I heard it makes a legal difference if she was telling people at college party she's over 18 and he had no way of knowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad