Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Interesting how quickly the Maple Leafs fired Keefe and hired Berube, all the while the Sharks still haven't filled their HC vacancy.
Completely different situations

Yeah, I found Demers' talk about it really enlightening on Brody's podcast -- saying basically as much, there's no real system and when he watched Quinn's other teams, he also didn't think there was really a system. I really don't have an eye for that kind of thing, but it did look very strangely like the team genuinely had no idea where to go at any given time, particularly in the defensive zone.
Same things have been said about Bordeau too

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Just tells me it either wasnt planned or they are waiting for a shoe to drop
Yeah, I think it’s a bit of both.

I’m personally hoping for Sturm to be the pick. Ontario is still playing in the AHL playoffs, so he can’t take the job until his season is done. Also, he might not have had an opportunity to be interviewed yet.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, I found Demers' talk about it really enlightening on Brody's podcast -- saying basically as much, there's no real system and when he watched Quinn's other teams, he also didn't think there was really a system. I really don't have an eye for that kind of thing, but it did look very strangely like the team genuinely had no idea where to go at any given time, particularly in the defensive zone.
There were some pretty basic things that I noticed during the season like when the defenseman would rim it up the boards and there would rarely be a winger there to help get the puck out because they had collapsed to the low slot. It's such a beer league mistake that bothered me a lot actually.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
There were some pretty basic things that I noticed during the season like when the defenseman would rim it up the boards and there would rarely be a winger there to help get the puck out because they had collapsed to the low slot. It's such a beer league mistake that bothered me a lot actually.

Yeah, it’s… kind of strange. It’s hard for me to fathom getting to be a head coach in the NHL (TWICE) and not being able to put together a system? And like, what about his assistants? Wasn’t anyone there like, “hey should we maybe implement some kind of plan here?”

It’s a little mind boggling.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think 1 more year of kunin will be fine he’d make a pretty good trade chip at the deadline.
I'm not sure Kunin is going to be worth more than a 5th, probably less because of how expensive he's going to be.

I certainly wouldn't keep him under the idea that I am planning to trade him for value. He's just not very good - on an actual contending team, Kunin plays maybe 40 games and sits for nearly the entire playoffs (barring injury). If I'm a contender, bringing in a guy making $3 million who is limited to that isn't worth much of a return.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Seriously guys, if you're here to talk about lineups and players there's a thread for that. This is the thread for the head coach choice. Any roster talk beyond this will be deleted (not moved. because that takes more clicks and you were warned twice now)

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
3 teams have hired new coaches so far. Just wondering if any of those new HC was potential target for Grier and he lost out on bids.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
As many have been saying... There's no rush. Of course TOR moved faster than us - that's the top vacancy in the league. We have a unique situation and we don't even know if our very best prospects are joining or not next year. The playoffs aren't even halfway over. I'd be a little surprised if we announce a coach before there's a cup winner.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
3 teams have hired new coaches so far. Just wondering if any of those new HC was potential target for Grier and he lost out on bids.
bigbird-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-others.gif

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Grier is targeting a particular tier of coach that’s geared more toward development. Those guys aren’t going to be hired by teams like the Leafs. I think he’s doing his due diligence and is really in no rush.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I could be wrong but looking at the final 5 teams remaining, I don’t see anyone on their bench that will be of interest to the Sharks from an AC standpoint and none of those head coaches will likely be available. So other than Sturm and maybe Todd Nelson, I imagine Grier has been able to interview every candidate on his list by now. I would think by early June a new coach will be announced. After that Grier may be too busy with the combine, draft prep depending on how involved he is with the scouts, then the draft itself, UFA period, development camp and so on…

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
As many have been saying... There's no rush. Of course TOR moved faster than us - that's the top vacancy in the league. We have a unique situation and we don't even know if our very best prospects are joining or not next year. The playoffs aren't even halfway over. I'd be a little surprised if we announce a coach before there's a cup winner.
we are going to wait until after the entry Draft to pick a head coach. Celebrini's dad will tell us which head coach who hire. :)LOL

• Haha

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I could be wrong but looking at the final 5 teams remaining, I don’t see anyone on their bench that will be of interest to the Sharks from an AC standpoint and none of those head coaches will likely be available. So other than Sturm and maybe Todd Nelson, I imagine Grier has been able to interview every candidate on his list by now. I would think by early June a new coach will be announced. After that Grier may be too busy with the combine, draft prep depending on how involved he is with the scouts, then the draft itself, UFA period, development camp and so on…
Maybe he just is waiting for other teams to make decisions so that the decision for the remaining coaches becomes "Do you want a NHL head coaching job or do you want to work on an assistant's salary for a better team"? It's easier to hold out for a better opportunity when there are better opportunities out there, but if all that's left is the Sharks job after the teams that have a chance to do something have made their decisions, maybe you have a better pool of candidates to choose from.

At any rate, the position is gonna get filled some time in the next month and since that guy isn't going to have much input in the draft, there's not really a whole lot of reason why having that decision made by tomorrow vs the first week in June makes a lot of difference. The only area where it might make some impact is that maybe it's easier for Will Smith to decide whether he wants to return to college or not once he knows who the coach is going to be. Celebrini doesn't have to face that decision until the beginning of July since he won't even officially be a Shark until the end of June, but Smith might like to know who our new coach might be.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Combine is June 2-8. 3 weeks later is draft (28-29).

Grier can squeeze in interviews for HC.

Leach should be available for interview. And Halperin.

Sturm still coaching.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Combine is June 2-8. 3 weeks later is draft (28-29).

Grier can squeeze in interviews for HC.

Leach should be available for interview. And Halperin.

Sturm still coaching.
Oh he definitely can squeeze it in those 3 weeks, just saying he may not want to as after the combine I’d imagine he’ll also be involved in the final scouting meetings to finalize the draft list. And again, other than Sturm, most of the other coaches on his list are likely already available to interview.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
It's easier to hold out for a better opportunity when there are better opportunities out there, but if all that's left is the Sharks job after the teams that have a chance to do something have made their decisions, maybe you have a better pool of candidates to choose from.
Maybe I’m mis-interpreting but I hope this isn’t the case. I don’t want a coach that only wants to be here as a last resort because every other position is filled.

Reactions: 67 others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad