Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I have no interest in players that are older than 28 at this juncture that don’t have the potential to be part of the long term plans of this team. If we are taking on salary dumps for picks or bringing in rentals we can flip like Duclair, I’m fine with that. But please, no Stamkos or Karlsson types of trades. We barely got out of long term salary investments. Let’s not add more now.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I have no interest in players that are older than 28 at this juncture that don’t have the potential to be part of the long term plans of this team. If we are taking on salary dumps for picks or bringing in rentals we can flip like Duclair, I’m fine with that. But please, no Stamkos or Karlsson types of trades. We barely got out of long term salary investments. Let’s not add more now.

I’d take Stamkos on a 3 year deal. Great mentor, great player, shelters our guys, etc. It’s not a bad idea to have guys like that on the team still.

Reactions: Sharksfan66

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In Karlsson's case, I have a hard time believing that's even close to being on the table. I doubt he'd waive to come back here even with Celebrini in the fold. We're still missing a lot of pieces with adding Karlsson for nothing to compete. I'd only consider taking Karlsson back on if we're getting paid to do it or we're dumping Vlasic in the process but I put those odds at less than 1%. Stamkos would be a free agent signing. He's also 34 so I'm capping any term for his contract at 4 years. That's the kind of contract that this team could handle. I think Stamkos would provide the sort of leadership Celebrini and the young kids can use. There's not a lot of people we have to worry about paying in that four year period and the worst case scenario is buying out the final year. I don't think I'd want anyone else at that level, including Marchessault, but I'd pay Stamkos a lot if he's willing to sign for three or four years.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah
Jul 10, 2010
thats how you end up like buffalo and arizona. Cups arent won by simply stock piling high draft picks and winning draft picks trade charts.

You need some veterans around to teach the young guys the nuances of the game. Theres a reason why great organizations never seem to pick high for multiple years, but lackluster ones always seem to be picking top 10;

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
thats how you end up like buffalo and arizona. Cups arent won by simply stock piling high draft picks and winning draft picks trade charts.

You need some veterans around to teach the young guys the nuances of the game. Theres a reason why great organizations never seem to pick high for multiple years, but lackluster ones always seem to be picking top 10;
And I’m not opposed to veterans at all. Just not thrilled with over priced players that are declining and are not really part of our long term plans. I consider Granlund a great addition and someone that can shelter the kids while providing veteran leadership. Same with Rutta. We didn’t have to overpay or over commit to either.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
just signing veterans willy nilly is dumb but the right veteran is 100% worth overpaying for

example i always think of from football is when the 49ers were like the joke of the league (much like the sharks now) and they overpaid to sign Justin Smith who was totally worth it as he was a big part of changing the culture of the team

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

Demers and Brodie talk about Sharks future. What kind of coach is needed? What parts might the team need/have put together the next few years.

Griersy?

hansel-thinking.gif

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Demers talking about a lack of structure in Quinn’s system was really informative. I love listening to that guy.
I had a feeling that this kind of came to the fore during exit interviews (I'm imagining Thrun with his Harvard smarts being the one to illuminate it most clearly) in a way that Grier hadn't even realized--like, "Oh, shit, this is my guy and the players seem to like him and everything, but damn he might ruin our young guys if they're with him for too long."

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I had a feeling that this kind of came to the fore during exit interviews (I'm imagining Thrun with his Harvard smarts being the one to illuminate it most clearly) in a way that Grier hadn't even realized--like, "Oh, shit, this is my guy and the players seem to like him and everything, but damn he might ruin our young guys if they're with him for too long."

Yeah, Demers mentioning that he had watched other teams coached by Quinn and that they similarly had no structure made me go, oh, shit, okay. I mean it’s true that our defenseman seemed COMPLETELY lost on the ice. It really did seem like no one knew where to even go, and while I do place some of the blame on the players, it seems like maybe they had no help there.

I think Sturm is ultimately what got Quinn fired. Who likes structure more than a German?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Blashill sucked in Detroit. No thanks
Probably not a good coach but he also had f*** all to work with.

This should put an end to that stupid rumor that the Sharks are only interested in hiring a coach with "ties" to the franchise.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Probably not a good coach but he also had f*** all to work with.

This should put an end to that stupid rumor that the Sharks are only interested in hiring a coach with "ties" to the franchise.
I mean he wouldn’t have anything to work with in SJ either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad