Confirmed with Link: Next head coach for VGK will be..... Cassidy

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
That firing of Cassidy seems really weird. As if he was found out talking to another team and they canned him for it. Father time hitting that team hard, can't see how you blame the coach for it.

Reactions: StrBender

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That firing of Cassidy seems really weird. As if he was found out talking to another team and they canned him for it. Father time hitting that team hard, can't see how you blame the coach for it.

The timing of the Bruins' 1st round exit, Neely's presser where he kind of threw Cassidy under the bus then Deboer getting fired - all around 3 weeks ago...it's a bit suspicious. Everyone was thinking Trotz or Quenneville at the time.

Although if I were him I'd take the HC position with the Panthers.

edit: although $$$ talks and Cassidy can command something like 5Mx5 on his next contract...

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Good article. Granger looks at.the qualities Trotz has brought in previous stints and how that might apply to VGK.

Defensive, but focusing offensive players without stifling creativity. He also previously worked with Lehner too.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The timing of the Bruins' 1st round exit, Neely's presser where he kind of threw Cassidy under the bus then Deboer getting fired - all around 3 weeks ago...it's a bit suspicious. Everyone was thinking Trotz or Quenneville at the time.

Although if I were him I'd take the HC position with the Panthers.

edit: although $$$ talks and Cassidy can command something like 5Mx5 on his next contract...
Since coach salaries don't apply to cap, i dont think money will be an object.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
A lot is coming out about how Cassidy treated young players like Debrusk, which would probably be why he made a trade request. There were also rumors that Krecji left for Europe because of him.

At this point, they might as well go with 1)Trotz or 2)Julien (who became familiar with Whitecloud, Roy & Thompson this summer)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
A lot is coming out about how Cassidy treated young players like Debrusk, which would probably be why he made a trade request. There were also rumors that Krecji left for Europe because of him.

At this point, they might as well go with 1)Trotz or 2)Julien (who became familiar with Whitecloud, Roy & Thompson this summer)
Those are good points, didn't think about Krecji leaving. Debrusk I figured was just a guy who wanted to be featured up top more, but maybe the coach was a factor in it too.

As much as we can question the GMs for many of their moves, this is one where I really think the best strategy is to get the GMs, the owner and whoever they hire on the same page. The GMs need to be sourcing the right types of players for the coaches system and plan their way through the coming retool/rebuild with this in mind. The big name coaches with their inflexible systems may not make a lot of sense because it could be 1-2 years left with the window if this isn't done right.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Those are good points, didn't think about Krecji leaving. Debrusk I figured was just a guy who wanted to be featured up top more, but maybe the coach was a factor in it too.

As much as we can question the GMs for many of their moves, this is one where I really think the best strategy is to get the GMs, the owner and whoever they hire on the same page. The GMs need to be sourcing the right types of players for the coaches system and plan their way through the coming retool/rebuild with this in mind. The big name coaches with their inflexible systems may not make a lot of sense because it could be 1-2 years left with the window if this isn't done right.
Hopefully any GM needs to have a head coach they're comfortable with and vice versa. And while I'd like to think outside the box in our search for a HC, Cassidy could possibly be a good fit. After the season, it appears there was a bit of sniping about Cassidy, but reading the Bruins thread a hell of a lot more of their fan base wanted rid of Sweeney instead of Cassidy. And he lasted 6 seasons, was in the playoffs and very competitive every year, and came within a whisker of raising the Cup in 2019. I don't know if he's "the guy" but if we're going with a retread for their experience, he should definitely be a consideration, especially as sometimes good coaches learn from the mistakes they make in their first gig.

Despite the complaints, and with an aging Bergeron and a roster probably a little less than VGK he took a very good Carolina team to 7 games.

On another note, it sounds like PDB is very likely to land in Dallas. They're already good defensively and don't score much, so I don't really see a fit - talk about retreads!

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas

If he's hiring a coach for the "rebuild" in a couple of years, then he needs to go now!! This team is win now and to hell with the future at this point. If they aren't bringing in the best coach for the team they currently have and are bringing in a coach for the fictional team they may have in 3 years, they are doing this wrong!!

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
If he's hiring a coach for the "rebuild" in a couple of years, then he needs to go now!! This team is win now and to hell with the future at this point. If they aren't bringing in the best coach for the team they currently have and are bringing in a coach for the fictional team they may have in 3 years, they are doing this wrong!!
Yeah I was reading something on twitter about it being the young players who forced Boston's hand *take that with a grain of salt* So he'd be a perfect fit as we trade away all our prospects. :laugh:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Shortsighted view and I don't think the organization is thinking that way any longer. I think Foley and the realistic brains in the building realize it would be really rough for this club to be at the bottom of the league 3-5 years from now with who knows what new major league teams playing in Las Vegas starting around then. At least I hope it was a good lesson to everyone in the building to stop chasing being the best team on paper or entering the playoffs and instead just get yourselves to the playoffs and take your shot at it then. If they stop chasing big names and going all-in every TDL they can be a playoff team easily for the next decade. Just have to start using the best prospects instead of trading them all away. They have done just fine in building up the pipeline and getting NHL-worthy prospects.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Good hire gang. He'll roll 3 solid offensive lines with his structure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad