Speculation: Next expansion draft

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
When we look back at the Vegas expansion Draft, we saw teams like Minnesota, Anaheim, and Columbus that were in potential “jams” because they couldn’t protect certain solid young players.

At the time, most of the fans here proposed deals between those teams in a jam and non-Vegas teams, largely because we’re fans of those teams.

When the expansion Draft took place, that turned out not to be the case. I believe most, if not all of the teams who made moves to protect certain players, made deals specifically with Vegas.

Looking back, it seems this might’ve been a mistake by GM’s around the league. When looking at the eventual Seattle expansion Draft, I think there will be more deals between teams that aren’t Vegas.

Ex. Instead of a team that has too many defensemen making a deal with Seattle, they make a deal with a team that has room for a defenseman but can move a forward, thereby balancing each other’s protection requirements, and limiting Seattle’s ability to select good players.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It all depends on whether the stars align to make a deal. Cause you still lose a player. It’s the teams with D that get hit hard. NJ was able to use heir extra D opening to pick up mueller from SJ.

Anaheim was in trouble because vats had surgery after the season and was expected to miss the start of the next season. Likely hurting a trade scenario for him. If the ducks could have pulled off the deal in June, pretty sure they would have to save themselves Theodore whom they could use to make a move later on. NJ had the D spot open which they used to acquire mueller. Likely the injury nixed the trade option.

There are teams right now that whether the ED is in 2020 or 2021 will be hit hard. Ducks are in line to lose another D. Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, montour plus the 2 young Swedes who played in the ahl this year.

Plus, teams screwed themselves long before the ED by handing out NMC deals and despite the nhl giving teams an out by allowing players to waive them only a couple of players ended up doing so for the team. Players simply didn’t want to leave their situation and go to an expansion team. Will that opinion change for Seattle?

Reactions: chchelseII

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm just going to pretend it happens today but at the same time use a semi-realistic scenario.

Anaheim: Josh Manson
Arizona: Brendan Perlini
Boston: David Backes
Buffalo: Marco Scandella
Calgary: Oliver Kylington
Carolina: Brock McGinn
Chicago: Anthony Duclair
Colorado: Colin Wilson
Columbus: Ryan Murray
Dallas: Julius Honka
Detroit: Xavier Ouellet
Edmonton: Drake Caggulia
Florida: Alex Petrovic
Los Angeles: Tobias Reider
Minnesota: Tyler Ennis (We'll say they throw in Eriksson-Ek)
Montreal: Jacob de la Rose
Nashville: Colton Sissons
New Jersey: Keith Kinkaid
NYI: Andrew Ladd
NYR: Tony DeAngelo
Ottawa: Magnus Paajarvi
Philadelphia: Oskar Lindbolm
Pittsburgh: Tristan Jarry
San Jose: Mikael Boeker
St. Louis: Dmitri Jaskin
Tampa Bay: Adam Erne
Toronto: Connor Brown
Vancouver: Loui Eriksson (say they throw in DiPietro)
Washington: Philip Grubauer
Winnipeg: Tyler Myers

I do expect to upset fans, but I'd be down to do a mock-expansion draft via fanbases in which players they'd want to protect and let go. Everybody does a mock draft and we pick the players based on where most HF members have likely being claimed by a specific team. (For some reason I don't think I said that right, but did my best).

Last edited:
Reactions: bukwas

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
That, or Yandle, Ekblad, Pysyk or Petrovic. The way it might work is if Florida makes a trade with Seattle.

Not that I would expect you to know this as a non-Panthers fan but Matheson is a top 4D who we expect to become a 2/3D within the next season or so.

Pysyk and Petrovic are both 5Ds when they are playing well, and Pysyk is done developing.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
No way will Ladd be the Islander picked(it should be noted he has a NMC but that turns to a NTC after July 1, 2020)

It could be a salary cap move if they sign Barzal to long-term and also have Tavares on the roster. Also, it's near home for him in Seattle so I could see him agreeing to waive to Seattle.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It could be a salary cap move if they sign Barzal to long-term and also have Tavares on the roster. Also, it's near home for him in Seattle so I could see him agreeing to waive to Seattle.

It depends when the expansion draft is. If it's June 20, 2020 then the Islanders are screwed with the NMC, now if it's June 20, 2021 then they can expose him. I am hoping for 2021 expansion for that reason(basically Ladd is a wasted protection spot). lol

Islanders got screwed last time having to protect Boychuk and Ladd due to NMCs. I should probably add I can see one or both of these guys getting bought out if their is a complaince buyout for the next CBA

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
The way things worked out for Vegas was good for the entire league imo. I hope it works out similarly for SEA...not necessarily with a playoff spot but to be immediately competitive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
When we look back at the Vegas expansion Draft, we saw teams like Minnesota, Anaheim, and Columbus that were in potential “jams” because they couldn’t protect certain solid young players.

At the time, most of the fans here proposed deals between those teams in a jam and non-Vegas teams, largely because we’re fans of those teams.

When the expansion Draft took place, that turned out not to be the case. I believe most, if not all of the teams who made moves to protect certain players, made deals specifically with Vegas.

Looking back, it seems this might’ve been a mistake by GM’s around the league. When looking at the eventual Seattle expansion Draft, I think there will be more deals between teams that aren’t Vegas.

Ex. Instead of a team that has too many defensemen making a deal with Seattle, they make a deal with a team that has room for a defenseman but can move a forward, thereby balancing each other’s protection requirements, and limiting Seattle’s ability to select good players.
Part of the reason there were so few deal with other teams was McPhee told teams that if they wanted to deal with him, they could only deal with him. He really played hardball.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Unless they change things more for Seattle, I doubt we'll see anything too different than with Vegas. Teams will be losing a player regardless. Every team will be looking for a bargain, not a prototypical hockey trade. Those are actually rare, despite so many teams needs/wants seemingly aligning.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Ladds NMC clause ended , he doesn't have to be protected now.

Ends this July 1st to be exact. But I also wanted to add that he has a signing bonus laden contract. So he’ll also be a high caphit but low salary player that rebuilding teams would take on for the cost of an asset.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think the league (The teams and not necessarily the overall organization) has learned an interesting lesson here and will ensure that things will be different for Seattle. By the time the next expansion draft comes around teams will have their act together and it will probably be no first year Stanley Cup run. It will probably be a whole lot of nothing for what the league is demanding of the new team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm just going to pretend it happens today but at the same time use a semi-realistic scenario.

I do expect to upset fans, but I'd be down to do a mock-expansion draft via fanbases in which players they'd want to protect and let go. Everybody does a mock draft and we pick the players based on where most HF members have likely being claimed by a specific team. (For some reason I don't think I said that right, but did my best).

Lindblom will most likely be one of 7 protected forwards (Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Patrick, Konecny, Lindblom, Simmonds if still here (if not someone else). It's very doubtful the Flyers go with the 8 total skaters route.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Part of the reason there were so few deal with other teams was McPhee told teams that if they wanted to deal with him, they could only deal with him. He really played hardball.

But that’s the point. If he’s telling all these teams that, they should’ve turned around and said “ok, I’ll deal with one of the 29 other teams in the league”.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
That'd be awesome if Detroit lost Ouellet in the ED, unfortunately there's a decent chance he won't be on an NHL roster by then

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

Not a chance Lindblom is on that list. NO CHANCE. Non flyers fans just simply don't pay attention to how Hextall operates. 20 year old Lindblom, yeah he's gonna give up on him already

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00