Next Expansion draft

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Alright I know its too early, but for fun lets say 4 years down the line the NHL expands to another team in the central division. How much trouble would your team

some assumptions
- go with your current roster as of today
- UFA and RFA are staying
- be realistic about NTC, NMC
- for teams who lost a goalie just plug a current free agent
- Team name is hypothetical btw

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Alright I know its too early, but for fun lets say 4 years down the line the NHL expands to another team in the central division. How much trouble would your team

some assumptions
- go with your current roster as of today
- UFA and RFA are staying
- be realistic about NTC, NMC
- for teams who lost a goalie just plug a current free agent
- Team name is hypothetical btw

Saw rumors of expansion NEXT YEAR this past week.
Maybe not so hypothetical.

Next year would be a bit worse for the Jets.
2-3 years from now would be disaster level.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
No chance this league will go with an uneven number of teams for a prolonged period of time. Not saying there will be expansion but something will happen to even the number.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
how bad are we talking

In the near future the Jets would need to look at these players as not being protected.
Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Morissey, Comrie, Petan.

At that point there likely would be some other changes to the lineup...
But at 7-3-1

F: Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Wheeler, Little, Perreault
D: Trouba, Buff, Morissey
G: Hellebuyck ???

That potentially leaves Lowry, Armia, Roslovic, Copp, Dano, Petan, Myers + other d all available. Depending on development Perrault and maybe Little would need to be exposed to protect Roslovic and Lowry.
There would be some young players who aren't eligible.

I just know it wouldn't be as easy as it was this time.
Teams will have to consider who they give NMC to.

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
No chance this league will go with an uneven number of teams for a prolonged period of time. Not saying there will be expansion but something will happen to even the number.

Expansion, contraction and merging are the only options. The league will under no circumstances contract, and merging wouldn't happen either.

Expansion to the Pacific NW is coming. They better hope there isn't another financial crisis though. The league won't be able to take it if another recession hits within the next decade and have as many as five teams hanging on by a thread.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Expansion, contraction and merging are the only options. The league will under no circumstances contract, and merging wouldn't happen either.

Expansion to the Pacific NW is coming. They better hope there isn't another financial crisis though. The league won't be able to take it if another recession hits within the next decade and have as many as five teams hanging on by a thread.

Quebec was on the table last expansion talk and the only reason the NHL didn't approve it was they wanted to expand westward. I think it would be very hard to walk away from guaranteed money twice. Quebec is basically a shoe-in for a successful franchise.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I hope they wait another 4 to 5 years before the next expansion. The league needs a period of time to stabilize some of the existing troubled franchises.

:jets

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Quebec was on the table last expansion talk and the only reason the NHL didn't approve it was they wanted to expand westward. I think it would be very hard to walk away from guaranteed money twice. Quebec is basically a shoe-in for a successful franchise.

Quebec will be the fall back relocation spot of an eastern team.
Expansion is almost 100% guaranteed to be in the West.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can see Western Expansion in under 4 years and a team relocating to Quebec in under 3 years.

The Flyers, who were unscatched by this round of expansion, are going to be in rough shape for the next one.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Agreed. I've thought this was pretty obvious since the Atlanta/Winnipeg realignment.

Unless they want to go all 80 / 90's on us and have Quebec play in the Central?

Toronto and Detroit played in the Norris for years (Detroit stuck much longer) so not impossible but FAR from ideal. Too many late starts on the road for their fans. Although I'm sure Nordiques fans would put up with it for a few years if it meant having a team.

The Jets did 2 years in the Southeast before our new alignment in the Central.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
:canes

J4Kbq.gif

would probably do a 4-4-1 instead of 7-3-1, so that means we lose one of J Staal, Rask, Goat, Roy, TT (Skinner, Aho, Lindholm, one of JS/Rask protected) from the forwards or one of Fleury or Bean from the D (Slavin, Faulk, Pesce, Hanifin protected)... of course, I expect at least a couple of those to be traded before then.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

I agree with most that Quebec is the fallback plan for a relocation.

I think the NHL is targeting Seattle, so it really comes down to whose arena proposal gets the green light. They have approved a group to renovate Key Arena, but there is no green light to actually proceed right now. Hansen is still looking into a SODO arena.

The main goal is to get an NBA team there.

NHL would be a secondary option. Depending on who gets the arena, it really depends on what their desires are with regards to an NHL franchise.

Earliest the Oak View group said that the renovated arena would be ready would be 2020. That should be the target date that NHL teams set. Don't be offering NMC to non-core players that go past 2020 or at least build into the contract that the player is not ED exempt.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

Not likely the only real choices they have are Seattle and Quebec. Quebec is being kept for relocation and they also probably don't want unbalanced conferences and Seattle still has trouble on the arena deal. IF they do get that sorted out then yeah I bet the NHL will be immediately there to secure an expansion team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The way the metro looks today you wonder if Columbus or Detroit wouldn't mind coming back to the West (Central division) if Quebec does get an expansion team

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Seattle/Portland are better options than returning Detroit to the west.

Having Vancouver, San Jose, la, Anaheim, Arizona with a Seattle or Portland is a nice chunk of teams on the west coast.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Seattle/Portland are better options than returning Detroit to the west.

Having Vancouver, San Jose, la, Anaheim, Arizona with a Seattle or Portland is a nice chunk of teams on the west coast.

You can forget Portland. If they wanted an NHL team they would have applied for expansion in the past. Never have. Doubt they ever will. Moda Centre is owned by Paul Allen. So, don't think they are planning sharing with an NHL team.

Seattle, I think it all depends which arena option they go with. Not sure if the groups want NHL. Primary target is NBA first and foremost. They may not have the money to apply for both teams. Talking over $1 billion in expansion fees. NBA would likely be $750 million or so. Plus the cost of the arena is $500 million. All in $1.75 billion.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Not likely the only real choices they have are Seattle and Quebec. Quebec is being kept for relocation and they also probably don't want unbalanced conferences and Seattle still has trouble on the arena deal. IF they do get that sorted out then yeah I bet the NHL will be immediately there to secure an expansion team.

The rumor was Seattle

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Kapanen
Brown
Kadri
JVR
Rielly
Zaitsev
Gardiner
Andersen

Leafs would hypothetically lose Bozak, Martin, Carrick, Dermott, or a current prospect depending on how they develop (Timashov, Gauthier, Johnsson, etc)

Long story short, we'll be in a position where we need to take it on the chin or give up a 1st or 2nd to keep players we like.However, this list can and probably change by this time next week, let alone in 2, 3, 4 or how many years it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad