Speculation: Next domino to fall

Who's getting the heave ho?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
My suggestion has been Glendening. And if Detroit doesn't think JMFJ is as much of a negative as we do, maybe you can recoup a future. You'd have to be OK with Blueger as your 3C I suppose, but Glendening is a RH center who's good on the draws and used to a heavy defensive workload. He's cheap and he's only got 1 year left. He's a good skater. He's not too old. He's relatively physical. He's had some decent years despite being on the shitshow that is your Detroit Red Wings. It's admittedly not a great return for Murray, but the real benefit is dumping JMFJ without having to retain anything.
Glendening-Blueger reminds me of Sutter-Goc.

Reactions: Beauner

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Murray was always leaving after he lost his job to Jarry this season. I don't even really consider Murray a legit option here.

Bjugs, I'd say. Probably won't return anything worthwhile, but hopefully we can get out of his contract without taking too much or any cap back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The only thing that I can’t fit into the puzzle is the return.. anything from Detroit that’d help us is something they wouldn’t part with. And we’re not gonna acquire futures after just dealing our 1st.

Acquire more futures to spend on more players. If Rutherford wants to get more good players out of cap-tight orgs, he's going to need picks and prospects, and he doesn't have a whole bunch of them worth spending left.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Honestly, the worst part about trading the 15OA pick wasn't that we traded a first, it's that that was all we got after one of the biggest wet farts of a "postseason" performance this club has ever produced.

savage.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like I said on page 1, I think people are missing an important detail that LeBrun said when it comes to the goalie situation, JR may have to wait for the UFA market to clear up before being able to trade Murray. I think JR likely makes a trade before or at the draft, and the goalie situation may not be clarified until after the draft.

Then again, LeBrun in the same article also said that some executives thought a Murray trade was close last week, so I dunno. LeBrun was covering both sides in that article, he was simultaneously saying "the Pens may have to wait until Markstrom and Lehner sign" and "some thought the Pens almost made a deal last week".

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Like I said on page 1, I think people are missing an important detail that LeBrun said when it comes to the goalie situation, JR may have to wait for the UFA market to clear up before being able to trade Murray. I think JR likely makes a trade before or at the draft, and the goalie situation may not be clarified until after the draft.

Then again, LeBrun in the same article also said that some executives thought a Murray trade was close last week, so I dunno. LeBrun was covering both sides in that article, he was simultaneously saying "the Pens may have to wait until Markstrom and Lehner sign" and "some thought the Pens almost made a deal last week".

I don't see them making another move before the draft anyway.

I think they're going to just put Bjugstad on LTIR and let him walk. It just makes sense from a practicality standpoint.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't see them making another move before the draft anyway.

I think they're going to just put Bjugstad on LTIR and let him walk. It just makes sense from a practicality standpoint.

They're going to put the guy the GM says is going to be 100% healthy on LTIR?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm sure he's bound to have a setback... or seven.

Incidentally, I wonder what Jeff Gillooly and Shane Stant are up to these days?

Pretty sure that only works when we want the dude to be on LTIR :P

edit: Oh wait. Do you mean the LT"I"R version? Yeah, a 28 year old in his contract year isn't going to go with that...

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Tough call. Our only two pieces that hold real value right now are McCann and Murray. Bjugstad, JJ, even Hornqvist likely would be difficult to move by themselves without other value pieces, and I expect the rest of the big club to stay put.

Murray is part of a complicated market with how many goalies are going UFA, so that may not resolve until teams can talk to UFAs. We will see. McCann could happen sooner, but even then likely not until the playoffs are over so all the teams can get involved in talks.

Getting Kap while the playoffs are still in full swing was a rare early move.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
They're going to put the guy the GM says is going to be 100% healthy on LTIR?

If they're up against the cap and acquire a different third line center, then yes.

They'll say there was a set back and put him on LTIR to relieve themselves of his cap hit. Whenever the trade deadline rolls around, they'll activate him for depth. It's really not a new concept.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If they're up against the cap and acquire a different third line center, then yes.

They'll say there was a set back and put him on LTIR to relieve themselves of his cap hit. Whenever the trade deadline rolls around, they'll activate him for depth. It's really not a new concept.

And Bjugstad's going to agree to that in his contract year with his NHL future on the line?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Murray if I had to pick one... Bjugstad is an obvious choice from the skaters... I can see Hornqvist being moved, but I doubt teams are lining up for him... McCann will be re-signed and Rust will be kept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad