Value of: Next contract for Jake Guentzel

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
IDK. Personally I struggle with the idea that a player 'needs' to get more than 5/6m a year. I mean if you're getting that for 6 years, I get that 500k a year adds up. However on the flip side... at what point is 'enough' actually 'enough'? Is 500k-1m (so 3-6m) really going to make that much of a difference when you're talking about a 25/36m contract? Sure it's a chunk, but either way you and your entire future family is set for life as long as you're not an idiot with it.

It all depends on what you're use to and your lifestyle. If all your friends are millionaires, you're going to have a higher standard of living than most.

Also, it completely makes a difference. First, it's making what you believe you're worth and your employer is willing to pay you what you're worth. Secondly, as I said before it depends to your means of living. A person coming from a developing country would be floored to make 30k a year. But to us that's nothing, it's basically living in poverty.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Guentzel EV production this season:
With Sid 67,4% of time -> 16 EV points
Without Sid 32,6% of time -> 14 EV points

"Product of Sid" scores more without Sid :huh:

Reactions: PensandCaps

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It all depends on what you're use to and your lifestyle. If all your friends are millionaires, you're going to have a higher standard of living than most.

Also, it completely makes a difference. First, it's making what you believe you're worth and your employer is willing to pay you what you're worth. Secondly, as I said before it depends to your means of living. A person coming from a developing country would be floored to make 30k a year. But to us that's nothing, it's basically living in poverty.

I get that - all of that. But how much does his "standard of living" change if he's making 5m vs 6m?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly, I feel you take him out of that team and he's probably a 30-40 point range guy maybe worth 3.5 - 4m maybe. So I hope the Pens overpay a bit, but I know they won't. They'll either get a big discount because he knows how good he's got it there and wants to stay, or they let him walk and replace him with the next over-performing kid.

Spoken like someone who's never watched him. No one is calling Guentzel a superstar. And while some of his stats are inflated because of who he plays for, if he was on any other team, he'd also be getting #1PP minutes - something he doesn't get in Pittsburgh. Realistically he's a 50-60pt player wherever he plays, because even if he wasn't in Pittsburgh, he would be playing with a #1/#2C and would be getting much better PP time then he gets now. And the downgrade from Crosby to another center would easily be made up by a big increase in PP chances.

The kid is a legit skilled top 6 winger. And what's great about him, is he's only going to get better.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This guy is money.
He's like Penguins version of Tyler Johnson.
Whatever TJs contract is should be Geuntzel extension value

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If we get him locked up long-term for less than Ehlers I'll be happy.
Looking at his stats, why should he get more then Ehlers? From what I have been reading his game has matured but let’s be honest. Points is what gets you the big contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad