Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Gerard Gallant

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
So GM Staios has basically confirmed the search is on for the next Head Coach of your Ottawa Senators

Who would you like to see lead the club of said team under this new ownership group?

Poll is a mix of vets and rookie options that have been mentioned

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Since Sullivan was included I picked him. If he became available he would be in very high demand across the league.

If he was not an option I'd pick Evason followed by Julien.

Is Gallant no longer an option?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I wish we knew who each coach would brimg as assistants. We need a staff, not just a Coach.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’ll go with Steve Spott just because Poulin hired him to coach the Marlies

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
these were listed in todays Sun. Perhaps Brad Shaw could be added?

• John Gruden: The head coach of the Toronto Marlies, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Maple Leafs, is a familiar face to Staios. Gruden, 53, was coach of the Ontario Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs (owned by Michael Andlauer) for two seasons from 2016 to 2018 while Staios was GM. Gruden led the Bulldogs to an OHL championship before joining the New York Islanders as an assistant.

• Todd McLellan: Fired by the Los Angeles Kings with a 23-15-10 record 48 games into this season, McLellan is well respected. He has 598 wins in 1,144 games behind an NHL bench, which includes seven seasons in San Jose, three in Edmonton and nearly five years with L.A. We’re told Staios has a lot of respect for McLellan and the job he does. A red flag: His teams missed the playoffs in six of his last nine seasons.

• Dean Evason: He was let go by the Minnesota Wild only 19 games into the season, but enjoyed plenty of success in nearly five seasons with the club. The 59-year-old Evason has 147 wins in 251 NHL games. He was able to get the Wild to make a commitment at both ends of the ice and though he can be fiery behind the bench there’s nothing wrong with a coach showing some emotion. Those close to Evason say this job is of interest to him.

• Craig Berube: He led the St. Louis Blues from last place in the 2018-19 campaign to a Stanley Cup. The 58-year-old was let go by the Blues only 28 games into this season with a 13-14-1 record. Berube has close ties to Poulin, but that doesn’t make him an automatic. The reality is Berube will be able to pick and choose his next destination. There’s a lot of talk among league executives that Berube is the top candidate in Toronto if the Leafs make an early exit.

• Brad Shaw: He’s in his second season behind the bench as an associate coach with John Tortorella and the Philadelphia Flyers. If anyway asks Tortorella, he’d be the first one to tell you that Shaw, a former Senators captain, deserves another shot at being an NHL head coach. He had an 18-18-4 record as an interim coach with the Isles in 2005-08 and has gained good experience since.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I don't want McLelland. Not that he is a bad coach just....I don't want Boudreau either ya know. Julien is a bit old, but if Kelly was his Assosiate Coach and Julien deal was for 2 years and then Kelly takes over. I can't see Gruden coming in a situation like that. He has been an assistant for a fair bit. He would want head Coach.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I want Chris Kelly if Sullivan, Rod the Bod, or Julien don't come here. Sure he'd be fresh blood, but he's learned to coach in a winning environment.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We need a tough demanding coach that will whip our lazy entitled young core into shape and force them to show up consistently and play with detail and attention in the defensive zone.

Sounds like Berube and Evason fit that description, but I'm fully expecting Gruden.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Don’t think it will be Sully, he has a 3 year extension kicking in, for the 24/25 season.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I’d take Sullivan or Berube, but Dubas said recently that for Sullivan to go it would have to be a mutual parting of ways and that he doesn’t feel that way at all. And I don’t think Berube will choose Ottawa of his many suitors and it was suggested that his relationship with Keith might be a conflict of interest.

I wouldn’t mind seeing what Evason can do with this group, and I believe he lives in MTL so I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re his preference as he’d be close to home.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'll admit my vote for Gallant has a lot to do with how much I admired him as a player. The guy finished his career with 1674 penalty minutes while managing to put up 480 points in 615 games. The Sens could use more players like that and I feel that Gallant is the kind of coach who would be more than capable of kicking ass when required.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'm going with Jay Woodcroft as my official prediction.

I feel like Woodcroft would a horrible decision. He won't have a McDavid or Draisaitl to help inflate his win record.

Since Sullivan was included I picked him. If he became available he would be in very high demand across the league.

If he was not an option I'd pick Evason followed by Julien.

Is Gallant no longer an option?
Gallant shouldn't be an option. He is just another one of those too player friendly type of coaches that don't have a long life span as a coach on a NHL team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
assuming Alfie and Ben Sexton (and probably Justin Peters) will be a part of the new staff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad