Speculation: Next captain ?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I Love Subban, and the guy leads by his play on the ice, but you guys are crazy if you think he'll given the C when Gionta is gone, wtv we agree with it or not, some ppl find Subban annoying, not hate, not dislike, just annoying, specially the low key guys like Plekanec. management and the coaching staff seemed to get annoyed by it, by the way MT talks about how he wants Subban to be a better teammate. That along with how he complains to the refs so much, and is knowing as a big yapper on the ice, zero chance he gets the C next year. With that said, like I said, Subban is a leader, great teammate and I think when he is older, in his 30's, when he'll likely have more control of a dressing room, I think he'll for sure have a letter on his jersey.

As for who gets the C next year, most are going to hate it, but it's clearly going to be Josh Gorges, MT almost looks to him more so than Gionta in the dressing room, remember during Ch24 last year during an Int, MT went straight to him to talk about how the guys were playing. Also he is the guy that stepped up and took Gallagher into his home when none of the other guys wanted it, heck he even has Gallagher living with him this year even tho he just got married, and with the way Bergevin and MT talk about character, no way Gorges isn't getting that C.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Put the C on Subban.
He is our best player,great leader,active in the public.
He is a superstar in the making.

Plus he will be around for a long time.

Let Subby put his stamp on the team.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Woaaah there cowboy, don't get me wrong, I love Subban. I wanted them to draft him after his performances at the World Juniors. I was at his first rookie and professional camp, I have a poster with his name signed on it from his first practice as a Habs prospect. I have a Tshirt with his name on the back and will get his jersey when I can afford to, he is my favorite player by a mile. But the fact is, he is still mighty raw. Captains don't badtrip when they score. Captains are respectful. Subban is a cocky *******, if you can't see that you haven't watched the game. Again, I am not saying its a bad thing, I love it. Just not as a captain.

What kind of player criticizes other players and isn't hard on himself? Name me one, I'll show you a guy that won't last in this league. That's not premise to be a named captain, every player does that. ****ing Ryan White does that.

Let's compare the situation with Kane and Toews in Chicago. Kane, IMO, reminds of Subban in a sense that he is a (over)confident, flamboyant, cocky player. Doesn't make you a bad player, just makes you a player that shouldn't be a captain. Toews on the other hand, is calm, quiet, leads by example. If you read past the first few lines of my post you would have realized that I WANT Subban to be a captain, just not NOW. He still has some behavior patterns to change. For example, he almost always complains after a penalty is called on him. This, IMO, is unacceptable for a captain to do.

Subban is a great leader, probably the most vocal guy in the room. Didn't think you would take MY OPINION as a ****ing personal attack man

What in the world? :laugh: I wasnt at all thinking that, yet, funnily enough, you took my post that way? :laugh:

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
I think he'd make a great one as well. As I've said in this thread, we should go with three As to ease a new leadership group into their roles.

A-Eller
A-Plekanec
A-Prust/Gorges/PK

Then after a year see how things stand. Eller is getting to be pretty old now, I think if you give him an A next season he'll embrace the role and show himself to be the best candidate.
I love Eller, he's easily one of my favourite, but I don't think he's a good candidate. He needs to be more consistent (maybe he fixed this but let's see it a little longer). He also strikes me as an introvert. Not a bad thing, but he'll need all his confidence the day the media starts being rough with him, or when things don't go his way. Maybe I have the wrong impression about this, but I have the feeling putting a ''C'' on him might turn things sour for everyone. Not a risk I'd take and I'm thinking the ''C'' is not something Eller covets either.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I Love Subban, and the guy leads by his play on the ice, but you guys are crazy if you think he'll given the C when Gionta is gone, wtv we agree with it or not, some ppl find Subban annoying, not hate, not dislike, just annoying, specially the low key guys like Plekanec. management and the coaching staff seemed to get annoyed by it, by the way MT talks about how he wants Subban to be a better teammate. That along with how he complains to the refs so much, and is knowing as a big yapper on the ice, zero chance he gets the C next year. With that said, like I said, Subban is a leader, great teammate and I think when he is older, in his 30's, when he'll likely have more control of a dressing room, I think he'll for sure have a letter on his jersey.

As for who gets the C next year, most are going to hate it, but it's clearly going to be Josh Gorges, MT almost looks to him more so than Gionta in the dressing room, remember during Ch24 last year during an Int, MT went straight to him to talk about how the guys were playing. Also he is the guy that stepped up and took Gallagher into his home when none of the other guys wanted it, heck he even has Gallagher living with him this year even tho he just got married, and with the way Bergevin and MT talk about character, no way Gorges isn't getting that C.

Tomas Plekanec has had all the time in the world to be a leader and a difference-maker for our team (and he is neither imo), I care little about what he would think about PK as captain to be honest with you.

PK is a catalyst and he can do it all...he was one of the few that showed up for the playoffs last year and was battling the whole way...not giving him the C wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be an opportunity missed imo.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I love Eller, he's easily one of my favourite, but I don't think he's a good candidate. He needs to be more consistent (maybe he fixed this but let's see it a little longer). He also strikes me as an introvert. Not a bad thing, but he'll need all his confidence the day the media starts being rough with him, or when things don't go his way. Maybe I have the wrong impression about this, but I have the feeling putting a ''C'' on him might turn things sour for everyone. Not a risk I'd take and I'm thinking the ''C'' is not something Eller covets either.

I have to disagree. He seems incredibly mature and his play has become very consistent. I don't think of him as an introverted guy, but you're right about him needing to learn how to be better with the media.

Like I said though we should go without a captain and re evaluate all the candidates. Im dreading the management slapping the C on Gorges in a rushed decision and making him even harder to move out of the lineup.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Prust is my choice for Captain. No one epitomizes teamwork and sticking up for his teammates like he does.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Tomas Plekanec has had all the time in the world to be a leader and a difference-maker for our team (and he is neither imo), I care little about what he would think about PK as captain to be honest with you.

PK is a catalyst and he can do it all...he was one of the few that showed up for the playoffs last year and was battling the whole way...not giving him the C wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be an opportunity missed imo.

I don't what to go off topic and talk about Plek, not that I don't agree with what your saying but that topic for another day, the thing is when choosing a Captain, I think it's more important what the guys in the room think of the guy than it is of say the fans. Again I love PK and think he has strong leadership skills, but will take time, with age, to take over the room. An example is in the playoffs when Subban threw that huge hit on Neil and went to the bench to try to get those guys railed up, no one paid any attention to him. It's just the way hockey players seem to be, they seem to put down any young players that shown enthusiasm to the game, ex Ovie.

Last edited:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Remember this..

Everyone wanted him Captain up until last year, and after not having a great year, he lost his leadership skills.

Give it to Gorges and when he is gone, it will be between Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, or Subban

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Remember this..

Everyone wanted him Captain up until last year, and after not having a great year, he lost his leadership skills.

Give it to Gorges and when he is gone, it will be between Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, or Subban

Gorges showed how dumb he could be after all the comments he made during the lockout. I have no interest in having this dumb guy be our leader.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
Subban is a born leader, he's passionate like nobody in this team, he's there every game and he's more mature now. He is an example on the ice for all his teamates u know that guy will play with his heart every single shift, you cant get that away from him. Plus he has the talent. If we re-do the 2007 NHL Draft he is 2nd overall right after Patrick Kane.

I dont see how he cant be the Habs captain in the future, at least deserves an ''A'' on his shirt.

Though, if Gionta leaves by the end of the year(trade) or next year(not re-signed) its maybe too early to name Subban captain ? Or no ? Also I wonder if the major part of his teamates would agree, there's jealousy and envy in this game :P

Anyway the time has come to pass the torch to the youth and give em the confidence and that's another reason why I'd like to see Subban named our next captain. He walks and talks like a leader, he's not perfect(like everybody) but he represent the future ! Give Mr.Norris the ''C'' Gentlemans !

C : Subban (James Norris Subban)
A : Prust (what more can I say?)
A : Gallagher ? (for his work ethic and contagious positivism)
Honorable mention to Gorges...would probably give him the ''A'' instead of Gallagher cause he's another leader veteran

Last edited:

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
My choice for the future captain should be David Desharnais. Good local guy who is even shorter than the current captain.
Desharnais shorter than Gionta, Gionta is shorter than Koivu, Koivu shorter than Vincent Damphousse.....
Plus he already has 1 point this season and should be able to get 10 points by the end of the season.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Gorges showed how dumb he could be after all the comments he made during the lockout. I have no interest in having this dumb guy be our leader.

But like I said earlier, we might not like those type of comments or want him as captain, but if you put it into a veto by the players in the room, or if it was up to Bergevin/MT, Gorges is most likely going to be picked.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
My choice for the future captain should be David Desharnais. Good local guy who is even shorter than the current captain.
Desharnais shorter than Gionta, Gionta is shorter than Koivu, Koivu shorter than Vincent Damphousse.....
Plus he already has 1 point this season and should be able to get 10 points by the end of the season.

lol

:handclap:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Subban is a born leader, he's passionate like nobody in this team, he's there every game and he's more mature now. He is an example on the ice for all his teamates u know that guy will play with his heart every single shift, you cant get that away from him. Plus he has the talent. If we re-do the 2007 NHL Draft he is 2nd overall right after Patrick Kane.

I dont see how he cant be the Habs captain in the future, at least deserves an ''A'' on his shirt.

Though, if Gionta leaves by the end of the year(trade) or next year(not re-signed) its maybe too early to name Subban captain ? Or no ? Also I wonder if the major part of his teamates would agree, there's jealousy and envy in this game :P

Anyway the time has come to pass the torch to the youth and give em the confidence and that's another reason why I'd like to see Subban named our next captain. He walks and talks like a leader, he's not perfect(like everybody) but he represent the future ! Give Mr.Norris the ''C'' Gentlemans !

C : Subban (James Norris Subban)
A : Prust (what more can I say?)
A : Gallagher ? (for his work ethic and contagious positivism)
Honorable mention to Gorges...would probably give him the ''A'' instead of Gallagher cause he's another leader veteran

I'd be curious to know where you got that from ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad