Speculation: Next captain ?

PricePkPatch*

Subban is the obvious choice.

Will say a lot about MT & MB if they have the brains/balls to do it.

Well, they need to have the balls to pick Subban for a leadership role.
They need to have the brains to do it at the right time, at the right time.

Therefore, how about we give him the A next year, and the C the year after?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Because it's kind of hard to give another guy the captain for one year and have him leave, or for one year and then take it away and be like "Uh, yeah, PK's captain now." Just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Plus I don't want to go through a year where we don't have a captain again. It was understandable when Koivu left because of all the FA signings and how much Saku meant to the team previously, but now? We need to think long term here and Subban's it. Crosby himself said he wasn't necessarily "ready" to be captain when they gave it to him (and he was 19), but who else could you see wearing it for Pittsburgh now?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It has nothing to do with balls.

They'll name the captain they think can get the best out of their team.

One reason I can see for NOT naming PK captain is it adds more responsibility on him. He's still young, still learning, has enough of a workload without the heavy "C".

PricePkPatch*

Because it's kind of hard to give another guy the captain for one year and have him leave, or for one year and then take it away and be like "Uh, yeah, PK's captain now." Just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Plus I don't want to go through a year where we don't have a captain again. It was understandable when Koivu left because of all the FA signings and how much Saku meant to the team previously, but now? We need to think long term here and Subban's it. Crosby himself said he wasn't necessarily "ready" to be captain when they gave it to him (and he was 19), but who else could you see wearing it for Pittsburgh now?

Well, Pleky's contract is up in 2 years. We could give HIM the C? :P

I agree Subban would be the best, but a transition period with the A would do wonder for him. Damn, now I stupidly hope one of our current A will miss some game so Subban will be given the A.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Why do you need a transition time to be the captain? It's not like a rookie who needs some sheltered minutes before he join the top-6.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

It will say more if they don't . Politics was a mild distraction when the team was super horrible now it's time to put it in its place and put winning first.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Let's face it, there's no one better than PK Subban to be our next captain. There's nobody else in on the team more suit than him to wear the Captaincy. He gives it every night and he's good. You give him the C, he will bring you the Cup.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
There are very few teams whose captain isn't their best player, it makes sense. Subban is one of the franchise players, Price haters would say he's the only franchise player.

Also, Molson should be like "look, we sell a ridiculous amount of Subban jerseys and we stand to make a lot of money if everyone has to come back and put a "C" on it so just get it done Marc"

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... I hope it won't be Daniel Brière, but don't underestimate his candidacy for 1-year.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

?
What about his play or behaviour on/ off the ice gives any indication that he isn't ready?

Plenty of teams around the league who have lesser, younger players wearing the C.

With gionta's contract up at season end, timing is right for team to back its best player & most natural leader.

It has nothing to do with balls.

They'll name the captain they think can get the best out of their team.

One reason I can see for NOT naming PK captain is it adds more responsibility on him. He's still young, still learning, has enough of a workload without the heavy "C".

His shoulders are more than big enough... Wonder if u can see how condescending that line of thinking is?
Wonder if you'd feel the same way if we were talking about Toews or Crosby or any other pale skinned young superstar with obvious leadership qualities?

It will say more if they don't . Politics was a mild distraction when the team was super horrible now it's time to put it in its place and put winning first.
Agreed

Was just trying to frame it positively...

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I am tired of the detractors , this guy has wings. The milquetoast mediocre largely untalented gorges is a boring, uncharismatic , forgettable player with borderline skills usually found on the bench when real leadership needs to happen on the ice .

Being charismatic or exciting does not necessarily make one a good leader either, though. Nor does skill level. I do think Subban could make a good captain down the road, though.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
?
His shoulders are more than big enough... Wonder if u can see how condescending that line of thinking is?
Wonder if you'd feel the same way if we were talking about Toews or Crosby or any other pale skinned young superstar with obvious leadership qualities?

Seems to me monctonscout just said that the team will select who they feel is the best captain and gave one reason he thought they might not choose Subban. And you rush to insinuate that he is being racist.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Being charismatic or exciting does not necessarily make one a good leader either, though. Nor does skill level. I do think Subban could make a good captain down the road, though.

So tell me what a leader looks like.

PricePkPatch*

Man, Gionta sure shown tonight that a leader never takes a selfish penalty, eh?

Especially when your team is clinging to a 3-2 advance while being constantly pushed.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
So tell me what a leader looks like.

I don't know what a leader looks like. I think there are differing opinions out there on what a captain should be and there are all kinds of captains. I think there are qualities a leader has to have that are harder for us to see as fans. Whether Subban has those or not, I really can't tell. I don't know that he doesn't. He certainly has a lot of positives. He gives it every night, and I think that is a pretty good quality to have. It sets a really good example for the players. I think he does this off the ice as well. He is a communicator. He is also an awesome player who is definitely part of our long term plans. But ultimately the players and the coach would know more about who the players look up to and respect than I do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad