Proposal: Next Bruins Coach - Let's discuss.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'd really like to see Milbury. Mad Mike would at least be entertaining, give time to players based on their production, call things like he sees them no matter, and if he fails it's easy to let him go and find someone new.

Hiring Milbury would be like the Sox hiring Bobby Valentine- a move to cover up just how awful things truly are :help::help::help:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
This is my thought exactly.

I think if DS and company go full re-build (Rask and a few other core players traded) then it makes sense to go with a fresh coach. If they are just trying to add pieces and Claude is under contract for 2 more seasons, I think I give him another crack.

As for the names being discussed here, for me. Kevin Dineen and Adam Oates.

Another crack at what , playing the same antiquated system he's coached since day 1. Time for new blood , a new voice and move towards the modern day NHL.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I can't believe I've actually seen Millbury suggested for real.

Hell, basically every name thrown out here with the exception of Dineen and D. Sutter (??) is a downgrade in coaching.

Claude is what he is, but he's a good coach. I'd be inclined to keep him over hiring someone like Boucher, McLean or Cassidy.

*EDIT: DAVE LEWIS!??! :banghead:

Last edited:

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
Are people really suggesting getting rid of the coach WITH THE MOST WINS IN BRUINS HISTORY and replacing him with Mike ******g Milbury?

This season just can't get any better

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
How bout Dave Lewis.

Posting Rules: Unacceptable Conduct

2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole intent of starting a dispute. Please note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling. Please keep it civil even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that these are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Copying posts from one HFBoard forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling/flaming as well. Wishing injury/illness on anyone (players, members, etc.) will be regarded as trolling/offensive in most cases.

:D:D:sarcasm:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
This is my thought exactly.

I think if DS and company go full re-build (Rask and a few other core players traded) then it makes sense to go with a fresh coach. If they are just trying to add pieces and Claude is under contract for 2 more seasons, I think I give him another crack.

As for the names being discussed here, for me. Kevin Dineen and Adam Oates.

Oates was horrible in Washington. No way would I want him coaching Boston.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
UMass Lowell Coach Norm Bazin. He gets the most out of his players, and they get better each year under him

I could see Bazin or Leaman under consideration. Certainly, the job Hakstol has done in his first year(to our chagrin) has lifted the stock of some NCAA coaches.

Gee, Milbury was an NCAA coach-for about two months. He bailed on BC and opened the door for, ahem, Jerry York.

Last edited:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Oates was horrible in Washington. No way would I want him coaching Boston.

Not that I want Oates , but some people hve stated Joel Quenville was horrible in STL and COL before going to the Hawks . Its all about the right place at the right time.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
If they fire Julien.....give me Nate Leaman all day long

The guy turned Union into a national power, moved on to PC and brought the Friars a NCAA championship

I've seen a ton of interviews with the PC players and they all said his practices were as hard as they have ever worked in their lives. I don't care if someone has NHL experience or not - a great coach is a great coach regardless of what level they are currently at (within reason)

If you look at all the young talent that this team could be injecting these next few years (Senyshyn, Gabrielle, Debrusk, Carlo, Heinen, Vatrano, O'Gara, Grezlcyk, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Lauzon, Donato, Zboril,, Bjork....plus 4 picks in 1st two rounds this year).....I'll happily take a coach like Leaman who I think can get the most out of these young kids

I put Leaman right up there with Brad Stevens getting hired by the Celtics.....sometimes you gotta take a chance on a coach who could be special but just hasn't had the NHL gig yet and if that's the route this team may take - Leaman is the guy

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

The guy turned Union into a national power, moved on to PC and brought the Friars a NCAA championship

I've seen a ton of interviews with the PC players and they all said his practices were as hard as they have ever worked in their lives. I don't care if someone has NHL experience or not - a great coach is a great coach regardless of what level they are currently at (within reason)

If you look at all the young talent that this team could be injecting these next few years (Senyshyn, Gabrielle, Debrusk, Carlo, Heinen, Vatrano, O'Gara, Grezlcyk, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Lauzon, Donato, Zboril,, Bjork....plus 4 picks in 1st two rounds this year).....I'll happily take a coach like Leaman who I think can get the most out of these young kids

I put Leaman right up there with Brad Stevens getting hired by the Celtics.....sometimes you gotta take a chance on a coach who could be special but just hasn't had the NHL gig yet and if that's the route this team may take - Leaman is the guy

Agreed. I look at a guy like Jon Cooper in Tampa as an example that you can't just keep recycling the same experienced NHL coaches over & over. first time NHL coches can be successful if they are good coaches. I think this team could use some new blood and a younger perspective. Quite a few NHL coaches around the league are under 50 and doing well.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

Can't lie, reading that stuff about how he likes 'up tempo/in your face' hockey is pretty sweet. However, how would pros respond to that sort of coaching style? From the reading I've read, it seems like he's a perfect college coach. He's on the young side and commands respect by being a bit harder on his players. I can't say I really know what it's like to be a coach, so I can't accurately say what would happen if he got the job, but I'd be interested to see how the vets respond to a guy like that.

Maybe an outsider is what this team needs. Hell, it has worked well for the Celtics. They had Doc for a long time after success too.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Count me in on Leaman after reading those. This quote stuck out to me

“I like guys who move their feet,†he said. “I like guys who are mobile and I like to play up-tempo and in your face. That’s the way I like to play the game.â€

This is the future of the game. The rough and tough, slower paced hockey is a thing of the past (as much as it pains me trending more and more towards soccer than rugby). IF they decide to move on from Julien who I believe is a great coach but with the roster constructed as it is and the kids coming up I am not sold on him being the right coach for this time period. This is the exact type of candidate I would like to see develop the next dynasty so to speak. Bergy being the mentor and the reliable vet (among others im sure) and build/develop a new system with these guys. Really like the things being said about this Leaman. Obviously there would be growing pains both by the coach and the kids but lets have them do it together so hopefully in 2-3 years we are back to being a force instead of a joke.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013

No diggity no doubt. Couldn't agree more and would be happy to see this direction. With all those names above, sure seems like they've been drafting/signing that way.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'm okay with going with the young proven college coach similar to what Flyers did with Hakstol.... sign me up for Leaman.
Brought a National Championship to Providence in just a few years. The last team he coached, Union, also won the NCAAs shortly after he left to coach the Friars. He may have recruited that team.

Isn't Hitchcock's contract up this year?

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Not that I want Oates , but some people hve stated Joel Quenville was horrible in STL and COL before going to the Hawks . Its all about the right place at the right time.

I'd like oates as a special teams/skills guy assistant coach, especially if we keep Julien.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
If Claude is conducting end of season meetings with the players individually how is he not coming back?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Can't lie, reading that stuff about how he likes 'up tempo/in your face' hockey is pretty sweet. However, how would pros respond to that sort of coaching style? From the reading I've read, it seems like he's a perfect college coach. He's on the young side and commands respect by being a bit harder on his players. I can't say I really know what it's like to be a coach, so I can't accurately say what would happen if he got the job, but I'd be interested to see how the vets respond to a guy like that.

Maybe an outsider is what this team needs. Hell, it has worked well for the Celtics. They had Doc for a long time after success too.

Nothing wrong with hiring as an assistant coach either...give him a season or two to get acquainted with the pros while being mentored by one of the best coaches in the game.

CDonns

Nov 28, 2015
MA
Nothing wrong with hiring as an assistant coach either...give him a season or two to get acquainted with the pros while being mentored by one of the best coaches in the game.
It's looking this way, sign whoever you feel to be the successor to Claude as an assistant. Claude gets fired next year that said person learns the best of Claude's ideas while bringing his own twist on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad