Speculation: Next Assistant Captains?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do they have to name assistant captains at all?
There is no requirement to name permanent alternate captains, a team can choose to go game by game. They are required to have captains so the ref knows who to talk to.

Also, as we already know, a team can have 3 alternates and no "captain".

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
In 2 years going to be Seider and someone else, I also expecting if Leddy good , he will stay for next 5 years total , not extra . And I agree going to be Leddy and DD
Leddy has played for contenders almost his entire career. Why would he want to stay in a place that does nothing but lose? He can make the same or probably more to win somewhere else.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
My only concern like with Larkin is don't give it to someone you eventually take it away from.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Get Nedeljkovic in on this.

22a14ac45cd6d5d8ccd4a2b23f80033d--vancouver-canucks-hockey.jpg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Leddy has player for contenders almost his entire career. Why would he want to stay in a place that does nothing but lose? He can make the same or probably more to win somewhere else.
We going to have very good team in 3 years, Yzerman already started trade ups and use picks to get players. 2 more draft my friend , just 2 more drafts.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
We going to have very good team in 3 years, Yzerman already started trade ups and use picks to get players. 2 more draft my friend , just 2 more drafts.
We are further than 3 years from being good. We will finally have some of our draft picks on the team in 3-4 years. Then they will need a few years to season. Players we draft in 2 years at 17 years old won't be viable NHL players until they're 23-25 years old. Then we could be pretty good with a little luck.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We are further than 3 years from being good. We will finally have some of our draft picks on the team in 3-4 years. Then they will need a few years to season. Players we draft in 2 years at 17 years old won't be viable NHL players until they're 23-25 years old. Then we could be pretty good with a little luck.
In 3 years Veleno, Bergreen, Zadina all 24 in their prime , Raymond 21. Larkin and Vrana still not old. Yzerman going to get some other good free agents also

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glendening was a pretty good choice for a letter.
Nielsen? Meh. f*** if I know.

I would think Nielsen wore a letter more years than he didn't in the league, because he was an alternate captain on Long Island as well I believe. Also he was always a guy that the dressing room, coaches and organizations spoke highly of in both stops.

Honestly it stinks how it turns out, I really liked him on Long Island, we basically never saw that guy here. Holy smokes does Frans Nielsen like to get hit hard though, him and Jensen have to be the two players over the last decade that just took thundering body-checks more often than any other Wings players.

I wish him well though, shame it didn't work out here, but by all accounts he is an exceptional person and teammate.

I would probably go with Bert and Staal for the alternate captains.

*** Before somebody gets mad at me, yes they are technically alternate captains not assistant as @MBH explained, just like there is no such thing as offsides... Hockey pet-peeves. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Once there was Yzerman as Captain and:

A - home game - Fedorov
A - home game - Lidström
A - away game - Chelios
A - away game - Shanahan

Some level of leadership. :D

Wasn't 2002 hilarious with the letters when they started resting veterans? It was like every single future HOF-er except Hasek had a letter at some point.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Bertuzzi is pretty much a guarantee, the other one is up in the air. Personally, I'd go with Hronek, although I think that's a longshot. I guess Dekeyser is a safe pick, so I'll guess Bert and Dekeyser.
I agree about Bertuzzi but... He also just set himself up to miss all games in Canada. His choice and i dont disagree but everyone else got the vaccine to be able to help the team as best as possible. Again his choice but that's kinda bailing on his team mates. Zero chance he gets it now. Yzerman's words... Im vaccinated and so is my family ill leave it at that. Now do you think he will say here be an alternate captain. Don't think so but i coukd be wrong. Staal, ddk, hronek are my guesses

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Once there was Yzerman as Captain and:

A - home game - Fedorov
A - home game - Lidström
A - away game - Chelios
A - away game - Shanahan

Some level of leadership. :D

Is this accurate?

When Shanahan arrived, he was immediately given the A that Coffey had been wearing, so for the '96-'97 season it was Yzerman with Shanahan and Fedorov.

Fedorov lost his A when he held out during the '97-'98 season and it went to Lidstrom. Sergei never regularly wore it after that.

I never remember Lidstrom or Shanahan not wearing an A when they were in the lineup.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i dont remove bertuzzi from an A for his stand against the vaccination . its a controversial but legit stand . so i still go with 2Z and staal .
and when in canada leddy

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is this accurate?

When Shanahan arrived, he was immediately given the A that Coffey had been wearing, so for the '96-'97 season it was Yzerman with Shanahan and Fedorov.

Fedorov lost his A when he held out during the '97-'98 season and it went to Lidstrom. Sergei never regularly wore it after that.

I never remember Lidstrom or Shanahan not wearing an A when they were in the lineup.

I remember something along those lines during injuries. If everyone is healthy then it's Stevie-C, Shanny-A and Nick-A.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Anyone wanna change their guesses? lol
Sure. Going with Leddy and Staal. If the long term plan is to give Seider and possibly Edvinsson the "A", then it makes sense to pick players that aren't going to be here long term.

I think Fabbri is the only other logical choice, but he's injured too often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad