Speculation: Next Assistant Captains?

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Right and you're an expert on the situation, I agree with Danny DeKeyser. But i can see easily Bert and Leddy still being with the team.
Leddy has played on contenders almost his entire career and he has probably his last big payday coming.
A. Yzerman is not going to sign a competitive deal and
B. Why would Leddy want to stay here and lose?
This year is going to be brutal on these players. Losing sucks and they're gonna lose alot.

Bert's last 2 negotiations have been contentious. He went to arbitration and thrn he signed for 2 years. Then he refused the vaccine. He is almost certainly on his way out.
We don't have a Zetterberg or Datsyuk in the entire system. Yzerman is going to have to acquire picks and the team needs to be bad until we get at least one elite center. I don't see Bert, Hronek, Vrana, Fabbri or even Larkin as being off the table. Most likely won't be here when it is time to push for success.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Staal was the first one to get the A last season after injuries. DDK was second, but with his health it's a different proposition than with Staal. Still....

1. Staal
2. DDK

Leddy I would easily bet against. Bertuzzi is a possibility, not sure, I can see it though. We'll see with Hronek and his impending contract.

The Wings telegraphed their choices at the end of last season.

What do I win?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The Wings telegraphed their choices at the end of last season.

What do I win?

Someone give the dude a Marc Staal NFT with the A on the jersey.

Wonder who's after those two. I doubt either play all 82. Kind of hoping it's Hronek but probably Fabbri?

Reactions: jaster

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Someone give the dude a Marc Staal NFT with the A on the jersey.

Wonder who's after those two. I doubt either play all 82. Kind of hoping it's Hronek but probably Fabbri?
I don't think we'll know until we see what moves are made going into next year. A lot will depend on whether Beggren and/or Veleno push(es) hard for a spot, this year, and forces Yzerman to make a move. Fabbri could be involved because he's on an expiring contract with a really easy cap hit, especially if we retain. Same with Namestnikov.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I don't think we'll know until we see what moves are made going into next year. A lot will depend on whether Beggren and/or Veleno push(es) hard for a spot, this year, and forces Yzerman to make a move. Fabbri could be involved because he's on an expiring contract with a really easy cap hit, especially if we retain. Same with Namestnikov.

I'm talking about this year. If (when) DK or Staal are injured, who gets the A?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Erne seems a bit soft spoken, not ideal captain material. Gotta be vocal with them refs, especially once we have fans back in the arenas.
Fair...just figured he would be an okay "A" should it be needed. He clearly wouldn't be getting one normally, but as an emergency "A" he would do fine.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Not surprised at all they went DDK & Staal. Both are Vets. DDK is a lifelong wing and has the tenure. Staal has the experience and strikes me as a vocal guy. I think this further cements that Bert is not in the team's plans long term. I'd be shocked if Mo doesn't end up being one in a season or two, and maybe even Ray to. Let them be rookies. I think Stevie especially appreciates how hard it is for young guys to take those duties, especially on what will likely be a losing team.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Our leadership core is made up of suitcase players. Smh
300px-Mocking_SpongeBob.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad