Speculation: Next Alternate Captain [Poll}

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
138509608-jaromir-jagr-scott-hartnell-and-jody-shelley-gettyimages.jpg

I found that, but I suspect it was a rotating A? Because I know Jagr also wore one, but I can't find any evidence that they wore them at the same time.

Why was Jody not wearing the C? Best player to ever put on the orange and black.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
138509608-jaromir-jagr-scott-hartnell-and-jody-shelley-gettyimages.jpg

I found that, but I suspect it was a rotating A? Because I know Jagr also wore one, but I can't find any evidence that they wore them at the same time.

Well, looking back at the captaincy situation that year with a bit of googling:

Pronger, Briere and Timonen started the season as the 3.

When Pronger went down Giroux was given an A.

When Briere got injured early season Talbot wore an A.

When Giroux got injured Jagr got an A.

When Briere got injured in February Hartnell wore an A.

I mean... if Briere & Timonen missed time at the same time I *think* that would have been the only possible occasion Jagr and Hartnell would have worn an A at the same time. And even then maybe Talbot wore one of the two.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
My heart said Jake... but my mind made me vote for MDZ.

Jake had the 'A' in the past and I expected him to wear it when Streit wen down... IMO I don't think Hak waned to give it out due to at that time no Player was worthy or had earned it, as they were all not playing up to their ability... Since then Jake has upped his game considerably... I believe Jake deserves to get it, but I believe he will be with G and Simmer again sooner than later, which pus all your liaisons with the Officials in one basket... so to speak... I honestly feel that a D-Man should wear a letter, and at this point in time (next Season to be exact) who better than Del Zotto in the rearguard?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Well, looking back at the captaincy situation that year with a bit of googling:

Pronger, Briere and Timonen started the season as the 3.

When Pronger went down Giroux was given an A.

When Briere got injured early season Talbot wore an A.

When Giroux got injured Jagr got an A.

When Briere got injured in February Hartnell wore an A.

I mean... if Briere & Timonen missed time at the same time I *think* that would have been the only possible occasion Jagr and Hartnell would have worn an A at the same time. And even then maybe Talbot wore one of the two.

Funny but my mind is blank on Talbot ever wearing one... It must not have been for very long.

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Couturier isn't much of a leader type IMO. Nothing wrong with that in the grand scheme of things, but I don't get leader vibes watching him on the ice or in interviews.

Wud

Jan 6, 2007
I have a feeling Coots is a quiet leader by example and soft spoken communication. Only think that because he seems to elevate the play of whoever he's paired with.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Funny but my mind is blank on Talbot ever wearing one... It must no have been for very long.

Yeh, I think it was maybe ~5 games or so with Briere down and Pronger already done, Jagr and Hartnell got the A later in the year when others went down:

Maxime+Talbot+Claude+Giroux+Carolina+Hurricanes+TjxfQBCc0bKl.jpg

I think the 'A' order that year in terms of games played with an A was:

Timonen
Giroux
Briere
Jagr
Talbot/Hartnell

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I don't care I miss Jags and Hartsy even with all his horrid skating and bonehead antics

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I would say MDZ. Giving Jake an "A" doesn't make much sense since he's on the ice with the "C" so much. So between Couturier and MDZ I'd guess MDZ, it's probably a good idea to have one D wearing a letter and MDZ would probably be the leader in TOI.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Voracek. However MDZ also is very talkative on the ice, a good communicator and gives Ghost a lot of pointers on the bench.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I saw Couturier heres why. Voracek is a great leader but having ur captian and both assistants playing on 1 line describes your team very well. Couturier never slams his stick, and is always out there putting in work, since 18. He deserves to have a A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad