Newsday: News12 Interview with Barry Trotz

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I LOVE the fact that this guy is our coach. I have no doubt he is gonna institute a system that will either bring out the best in the guys in the locker room now or he will find guys who will bust their ass to do what he wants them to do. Once thing Vegas proved last year, it's more about systems and a desire to not be beaten than all world skill. Fortunately this team has offensively skilled guys, now they gotta do all the things it takes to become a winner, even if it means sacrificing points.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love it!!! Got goosebumps seeing him wearing the logo.

I’m all in on this guy. I think he’s going to be one of the best coaches we’ve ever had and he’s going to really help change the identity of the entire franchise in a positive way.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
“ I think he’s going to be one of the best coaches we’ve ever had...”

With all due respect to Trotz, that is like being the leper with the most fingers.

I could be wrong, but he could mean best external hire. IIRC, Al developed to his greatness with the Islanders.

Reactions: bigtim1988

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Be prepared for a better, more fluid version of the Cappy system with 75%-80 the offence of last year

Trotz is trying to make a name for himself or he would not have taken the job.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Be prepared for a better, more fluid version of the Cappy system with 75%-80 the offence of last year

Not sure how much more of a name you need to make after spending 19 years in the league as one of the most successful coaches who just won a cup? But sure, he took this job to mail it in...

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Really love this hire. I still think we're going to be fine medium to long term, but the week or so after we hired Trotz but before the Tavares drama kicked into high gear was about as optimistic as an Islander fan that I've been since the 2013-2014 team was kicking ass all over the place for a while.

Reactions: bigtim1988

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He’s top 5 all time in coaching wins and has a cup to his name. Don’t think he needs to make a name for himself.

Well, to be truly considered great you either have to have a dynasty like Arbor or win a cup with more than one team. There are a lot of good coaches with one cup.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

I get you . Funny funny

I think Barry was retiring to go hunt big game animals in northern somewhere but then Lou Lams went to see him with Luca Brasi and assured Barry that either his signature or his brains would be on the contract

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Good interview. He said all the right things (this is not a complaint). My only beef is their showing what's-his-name in some other team's sweater.

I do somewhat disagree with his 'scoring is hard, defence is easy' statement. Over many years of coaching, I've found that offence is a lot easier to teach, and defence is a lot harder. Of course, by the time you reach the NHL, you should have learned how to do both, but that is not always the case. However, I will agree that, if you know how to do it properly, and are willing to put in the effort, defence can be easier.

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
Good interview. He said all the right things (this is not a complaint). My only beef is their showing what's-his-name in some other team's sweater.

I do somewhat disagree with his 'scoring is hard, defence is easy' statement. Over many years of coaching, I've found that offence is a lot easier to teach, and defence is a lot harder. Of course, by the time you reach the NHL, you should have learned how to do both, but that is not always the case. However, I will agree that, if you know how to do it properly, and are willing to put in the effort, defence can be easier.

By the end of next year Trotz will be a coach with the 3rd most wins in NHL history. I value his feelings about this a little more than yours.

Reactions: SI90

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
By the end of next year Trotz will be a coach with the 3rd most wins in NHL history. I value his feelings about this a little more than yours.

That would be great . If we won 62 games next season he will be 3rd all time . With a record like that we can play 50 percent of our playoff games in Brooklyn, 50 percent in Uniondale , and 50 percent at Belmont .

Here's one that will tickle your pickle. After we lose our 22nd game next season. I think we all can agree we will lose at least that many. Barry Trotz will be the NHL all time leader in loses as a head coach . Holy Chit Batman !!!! ( Hockey-Reference.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: Quicklime

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That would be great . If we won 62 games next season he will be 3rd all time . With a record like that we can play 50 percent of our playoff games in Brooklyn, 50 percent in Uniondale , and 50 percent at Belmont .

Here's one that will tickle your pickle. After we lose our 22nd game next season. I think we all can agree we will lose at least that many. Barry Trotz will be the NHL all time leader in loses as a head coach . Holy Chit Batman !!!! ( Hockey-Reference.com)

Means he coached a really long time. He also started out with an expansion team and didn’t make the playoffs until their 6th or 7th season.

And before you say Arbour had the expansion islanders, there were a lot less teams at that time and easier to accumulate talent in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad