Confirmed with Link: News Release: The #Sens have signed defenceman Jake Sanderson to an eight-year ($8.050M AAV) contract extension

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
This team is built to compete in a pretty wide window, with all the eights, and it probably opens soon. Five or six meaningful years is a big chunk of a person's fandom.

Not questioning a thing, but looking ahead to the expiration of the eights, that'll be an interesting time on the forums. Tough decisions, and might be saying goodbye to some franchise greats. Hopefully it's a very tough time because players have been part of significant success. Guys may have a few good years left, but I love getting their mid-twenties, their athletic peak, out of these deals.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's very apparent what Sanderson is, and that's a leaguewide star

It wasn't an unexpected thing that he's this good already, he's been that player every season since his draft year.

It's just that his player profile doesn't resonate, and isn't understood by the dummies who look at eliteprospects and hockeyreference to form uneducated opinions on a player. That's the vast, vast, vast majority of these against the deal on this site.

They're still stuck in 2019 where Sanderson was thought to be a late 1st round defensive D with zero skill. Some still call it a huge reach to take him at 5, even though that's the area he was ranked. It takes literally 1 viewing from someone who can see and understand what's going on around the ice to see how valuable Sanderson is.

If you are 5'9-5'11, and play a skilled game, you're a gem.

If Drysdale put up 45-50 points, and signed an 8x8 deal, I absolutely guarantee there would be half the detractors that Sanderson has now, even though he's nowhere close to as good a player.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This team is built to compete in a pretty wide window, with all the eights, and it probably opens soon. Five or six meaningful years is a big chunk of a person's fandom.

Not questioning a thing, but looking ahead to the expiration of the eights, that'll be an interesting time on the forums. Tough decisions, and might be saying goodbye to some franchise greats. Hopefully it's a very tough time because players have been part of significant success. Guys may have a few good years left, but I love getting their mid-twenties, their athletic peak, out of these deals.

If we get a Cup banner or two, it will be a lot easier to make those hard choices. And yes, being able to lock in the kids for their 20s is a very good thing. One helluva lot better than 30something UFA contracts that never age well.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Sens stick to their small market guns offering no signing bonuses again. Doesn’t feel like we have paid a premium for that perk?

In NoDak you could see Sanderson's offensive roaming ability developing. Hadnt maybe quite transferred to goals yet. But it does look to set him up to be a point getter when he finds that confidence. Looking forward to seeing how far he can take it. I keep thinking how it felt like we were watching Stu get better each game last year. Hope that can happen for Jake too.

Reactions: DrEasy

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Sens stick to their small market guns offering no signing bonuses again. Doesn’t feel like we have paid a premium for that perk?

In NoDak you could see Sanderson's offensive roaming ability developing. Hadnt maybe quite transferred to goals yet. But it does look to set him up to be a point getter when he finds that confidence. Looking forward to seeing how far he can take it. I keep thinking how it felt like we were watching Stu get better each game last year. Hope that can happen for Jake too.

I think the Sens have done an incredibly impressive job of building a culture that pepole want to be a part of. From drafting and choosing enought of the right personalities, to having the right coaching staff in the building years to create a supportive environment and internal competition that is not destructive, and to explicitly elevating (right to the rafters) loyalty and commitment as an organizational value. Add to that a critical mass of skill and good people just want to part of a good thing. Andlauer looks set to raise the bar even further. Good times.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think the Sens have done an incredibly impressive job of building a culture that pepole want to be a part of. From drafting and choosing enought of the right personalities, to having the right coaching staff in the building years to create a supportive environment and internal competition that is not destructive, and to explicitly elevating (right to the rafters) loyalty and commitment as an organizational value. Add to that a critical mass of skill and good people just want to part of a good thing. Andlauer looks set to raise the bar even further. Good times.

Now... it's time to win and eliminate Toronto in first round.

Only then will your last sentence be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Now... it's time to win and eliminate Toronto in first round.

Only then will your last sentence be true.

I'll be happy if they make the playoffs and ecstatic if they win a round against anybody. Knocking out the Leafs would be the perfect way to do it, but I'll settle for somebody else and be happy

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Could not care less about the Leafs. That's the old small market Ottawa. Cup or bust. Just let them flounder and focus on rivalries.
Bullshit.

That is a big rivalry and it would be the best scenario I could image to knock the Leafs out in the 1st round. Maybe because I lived it, but we need to beat them in the post season.

The legend of the Senators would be widespread and many other fans would be happy too.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Bullshit.

That is a big rivalry and it would be the best scenario I could image to knock the Leafs out in the 1st round. Maybe because I lived it, but we need to beat them in the post season.

The legend of the Senators would be widespread and many other fans would be happy too.
All that and it’s always going to be the battle of Ontario regardless.

R2010

May 23, 2011
It's very apparent what Sanderson is, and that's a leaguewide star

It wasn't an unexpected thing that he's this good already, he's been that player every season since his draft year.

It's just that his player profile doesn't resonate, and isn't understood by the dummies who look at eliteprospects and hockeyreference to form uneducated opinions on a player. That's the vast, vast, vast majority of these against the deal on this site.

They're still stuck in 2019 where Sanderson was thought to be a late 1st round defensive D with zero skill. Some still call it a huge reach to take him at 5, even though that's the area he was ranked. It takes literally 1 viewing from someone who can see and understand what's going on around the ice to see how valuable Sanderson is.

If you are 5'9-5'11, and play a skilled game, you're a gem.

If Drysdale put up 45-50 points, and signed an 8x8 deal, I absolutely guarantee there would be half the detractors that Sanderson has now, even though he's nowhere close to as good a player.

It's an interesting discrepancy because *actually* some of the most analytics heavy folks are on board with it. Mainly the pure counting stats people who are out to lunch with it

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bullshit.

Ya I lived it too. Heartbreaking and infuriating. It was also half a lifetime ago for me.

Maybe if the rivalry sparks up again Ill feel differently, but as of today I care 1000 times more about winning a cup than beating them. I dont really care what they do in general and hate for Montreal is much more fresh.

Worth pointing out I dont live in Ottawa and have been told a lot here thats a factor.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
It's an interesting discrepancy because *actually* some of the most analytics heavy folks are on board with it. Mainly the pure counting stats people who are out to lunch with it

"Sanderson isn't an $8M defenseman yet, but he should get there halfway through his new extension."

So ....... 5 seasons from now.

🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Is saying it's relatively fair by UFA standards, being on board with an RFA signing? Idk, seems like he's not really on board with it to me.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bullshit.

I think it's the best attitude to have these days. You really can't build a team to beat one opponent anymore. You need to develop a team that has the mentality that we will crush anyone in our path.

Yes, leafs are a rival. But so is everyone else in the conference.

If we're going to be a cap team with an owner who wants to play with the big boys, then it's Cup or bust.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

That guy is literally the worst evaluator in the world that's employed to cover the sport. He's a massive leaf fan that panders to their fanbase. 'His model' picks the leafs to win the cup every year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think it's the best attitude to have these days. You really can't build a team to beat one opponent anymore. You need to develop a team that has the mentality that we will crush anyone in our path.

Yes, leafs are a rival. But so is everyone else in the conference.

If we're going to be a cap team with an owner who wants to play with the big boys, then it's Cup or bust.
I'm not suggesting we have a roster based on beating the Leafs, I'm saying let's beat the Leafs in the 1st round on our way to the Cup.

Beating them in the 1st would be the 2nd best thing to winning the Cup, though. Especially now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad