News & Notes XXXVIII: where teams claim covid to duck playing us

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Tweet chain was in response to Drai saying Kane was a good teammate. Then someone brought up TDA (as a negative on how “these people” stick together) which she agreed was one of “these people” (which she probably doesn’t realize is an offensive context).

In same chain, some other Canadian person tweeted that Carolina is one of the more racist NHL cities.

Twitter continues to be a cesspool……I wonder why Musk wants to buy the company.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
For those interested, bored or just generally poor at valuing their time*, this is the post of Ben Moser to which Sara responded to in her deleted post:

* And let me stress, I'm not claiming any of the persons in question would not be worth one's time, but just that the happenstance itself (a twitter debacle**) is kind of a nothingburger.

** Though, I don't play and don't know how the points are counted.

I go cut some willow for my rabbits now.

Just want to add that Ben Moser is a good friend of mine. He's a good dude. I hate using the Social Justice Warrior or Keyboard Warrior slang, because it can be a cudgel to shut down any progressive argument without actually engaging and thinking. Moser can be a bit outspoken in his online opinions, and he's not afraid to say what he thinks. Just wanted to add that. He is a proud Caniac who lives in Boston, and he got permission from the Mrs to travel down for a couple of the Raleigh games against Boston and to espouse his passionate hatred for Boston sports.

So whatever you think of the tweet, Mr. Moser has his heart in the right place.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just want to add that Ben Moser is a good friend of mine. He's a good dude. I hate using the Social Justice Warrior or Keyboard Warrior slang, because it can be a cudgel to shut down any progressive argument without actually engaging and thinking. Moser can be a bit outspoken in his online opinions, and he's not afraid to say what he thinks. Just wanted to add that. He is a proud Caniac who lives in Boston, and he got permission from the Mrs to travel down for a couple of the Raleigh games against Boston and to espouse his passionate hatred for Boston sports.

So whatever you think of the tweet, Mr. Moser has his heart in the right place.
Give my best to him, seems to have a quality content twitter. Though I'm easy, he got me at the Dr. Doom mask header pic.

... which actually was not the least reason that the motivation for my first asterisk was to underline that I'm not in any way meaning to draw negative attention to any of the participants of the misunderstood-the-tweet-and-got-agitated-then-deleted-the-post-which-had-got-screen-captured-in-the-meanwhile-and-the-easily-agitated-person-got-called-out-anyway-what-with-her-previous-rap-sheet thingy... or regular social media Wednesday.

I don't really have an opinion on his tweet, I just linked to it because it was what Sara's reply replied to. But then @chaz4hockey did better job in recapping what had happened in that chain.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ben Moser is just another whinny political charged twitter fan. Sounds like a "good dude."

It is also highly doubtful, Ben, that the Canes will give TDA a big contract. Too much money for a guy that will become a fringe NHL defender once his speed goes away.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
In the real world, however much it sucks, you have to work with and be friendly with people with all kinds of differing opinions no matter how much you dislike them.
Social media would benefit from being more like the real world: lack of anonymity. You could still say all the crazy you wanted, but you'd have to know that everybody will know it is you.*

*he says from an alias with a shark as his face

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
In the real world, Twitter doesn't exist....and this from a guy who doesn't mind the occasional doom scroll.

To me, it's an easy way to follow news sources, sports news, and some other funny stuff (Dad Jokes, etc.)....I mostly ignore the rest.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In the real world, unlike on twitter, not being a perfect person is sometimes considered acceptable.

Our Twitter fanbase is certainly an interesting segment, that's for sure. Lots and lots of over the top fangirling over the players to the point of being creepy. And there's a whole hell of a lot of gatekeeping over who should and should not be a fan, and its massively politically focused.

I had to mute a ton of high volume pieces of Canes Twitter because of the noise. Makes it an unenjoyable space, even if I tend to agree with some of the beliefs.

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
In the real world, however much it sucks, you have to work with and be friendly with people with all kinds of differing opinions no matter how much you dislike them.

Yes, but I’m happy the real world has different points of view. Herd mentality/tribalism scares the bejesus out of me.

My first post out of boot camp was for training in Memphis (now that’s a challenging place). My unit had guys from inner city NYC, Ohio, Alabama, Iowa and despite our different upbringing/nationalities/color coupled with often different points of view we learned to respect each other and worked together wonderfully.

In my work career, I travelled throughout ASIA, AU, Europe and even the Middle East and always found great people (of course there were bad people too) even though perhaps the Governments were suspect.

Now, I’m just an old man wishing the world could get along and be more tolerant of different perspectives.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I tend to laugh at most of "Canes Twitter" given that they clearly are either unhinged or uninformed for the most part.

As bad as Canes twitter is, it doesn't hold a candle to the cesspool that is Canes Facebook

That place can burn in the fires of Hades for all I am concerned. In fact, I think many of them are already there.

saraciv420

Nov 20, 2019
Appreciate y'all as always for keeping it real. I just read the whole Reddit thread about myself and had to laugh. Like, if you want to hate me that's fine but it's journalism 101 that I'm not supposed to root for the team. I was harsh and defensive in my response because it's such a pet peeve of mine when people call me a homer, now I have people on reddit saying I've always hated the team lol.

I think we all know how much I respect and appreciate Rod and have loved covering the guys. Tripp has become a dear friend and there are many ties to the organization I will always hold dear. I didn't even mean that I don't like Tony. Tony and I have actually had a few conversations and have learned we have some mutual friends outside of hockey. I just don't like all the insinuations that since I cover the team I enable and sign off on every decision. It's like people don't even read my work then have these full blown opinions on who I am and what I believe. Sometimes reading things about myself can really get to me, which is why I probably need to learn to just log off.

EDIT: I also want to say sometimes the reason I CAN'T just log off and let things go is because I actually do care so much. I care about all of the fans who have made this such a great experience and took me in here for the past four years, I care about getting things right for them. I am not a fan of the team but I am a fan of the Caniacs

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Appreciate y'all as always for keeping it real. I just read the whole Reddit thread about myself and had to laugh. Like, if you want to hate me that's fine but it's journalism 101 that I'm not supposed to root for the team. I was harsh and defensive in my response because it's such a pet peeve of mine when people call me a homer, now I have people on reddit saying I've always hated the team lol.

I think we all know how much I respect and appreciate Rod and have loved covering the guys. Tripp has become a dear friend and there are many ties to the organization I will always hold dear. I didn't even mean that I don't like Tony. Tony and I have actually had a few conversations and have learned we have some mutual friends outside of hockey. I just don't like all the insinuations that since I cover the team I enable and sign off on every decision. It's like people don't even read my work then have these full blown opinions on who I am and what I believe. Sometimes reading things about myself can really get to me, which is why I probably need to learn to just log off.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I've always felt that good reporters should be a fan of the sport they cover, but not of any team.

saraciv420

Nov 20, 2019
I've always felt that good reporters should be a fan of the sport they cover, but not of any team.
Yes, I agree and I think the phrase "not a fan" might be tripping people up. Like, I wasn't trying to use that phrase in the colloquial sense, I meant I am literally not a fan as in Caniac. Of all the things I say I was just a little surprised to see that take off

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yes, I agree and I think the phrase "not a fan" might be tripping people up. Like, I wasn't trying to use that phrase in the colloquial sense, I meant I am literally not a fan as in Caniac. Of all the things I say I was just a little surprised to see that take off
Count me as somebody who was pretty nonplussed by it, I knew what you were saying.

But especally given your position as a skeptic, I really would like to hear more about what you think of TDA and his journey these days having gotten to know him personally. I've heard rumblings from a Brind'Amour family friend that Rod has made mentoring DeAngelo a real priority, and while I get that that stuff might get very personal for both of them, if it's something you can shed any light on, it's stuff I think a lot of people would like to learn about.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Social media would benefit from being more like the real world: lack of anonymity. You could still say all the crazy you wanted, but you'd have to know that everybody will know it is you.*

*he says from an alias with a shark as his face
I 100% agree with shark face guy here.

Or, better: you can make it easy to choose to use your real/verified identity, and everyone can choose not to see anyone who isn't verified. More free speech-y, but I can still easily ignore anonymous dipshits if I so choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad