News from Around the NHL 2014-2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1703881

I hope if one of our players did what Bertuzzi did then our fans wouldn't go through such lengths to defend him just because he's an Islander. I mean SHEESH. :shakehead

I think the dirtiest thing any Islander player has done in recent years was Chris Simon stomping on Ruutuu and IIRC the majority of us were calling for the league to suspend him for a long time.

A lot of us were bashing him for the crosscheck to Hollweg but a lot were also saying that he was hit from behind a second before and that was just payback or something.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I think the dirtiest thing any Islander player has done in recent years was Chris Simon stomping on Ruutuu and IIRC the majority of us were calling for the league to suspend him for a long time.

A lot of us were bashing him for the crosscheck to Hollweg but a lot were also saying that he was hit from behind a second before and that was just payback or something.

I think some of us went overboard defending Simon against Hollweg, but then again he didn't ruin that guy's life either.

But do you believe these guys? I love how poor Bertuzzi is the victim just because he was a Canuck a decade ago when this happened. And Moore, whose life was ruined, is the villain because it was apparently his choice for this case to drag on for so long.

I'm no lawyer, I'm just a lowly accounting student. But I know what vicarious liability is so I don't act dumbfounded that the Canucks are one of the defendants in this case.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
When Simon gave Holweg that Barry bonds to the head I was hiding my face from all my friends who were rags fans. You can't defend stuff like that. Hits to the head during the fast pace off play are dirty but a bit different. Swing a stick like a Louisville slugger at someone and that's on another level. Same with stomping with a skate and attacking someone from beind.

I also get angry when people overreact. I remember people comparing what Martin did to talbot to the Bertuzzi Moore incident. Bertuzzi punched Moore from behind and then drove his head straight Into the ice and broke his neck and was still pounding away. Martin grabbed Talbot and with an open hand he reached around and grabbed his chest. It looks like a swing but if you watch Martin did not contact his face and on e talbot turtled Martin didn't throw any more punches.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
When Simon gave Holweg that Barry bonds to the head I was hiding my face from all my friends who were rags fans. You can't defend stuff like that. Hits to the head during the fast pace off play are dirty but a bit different. Swing a stick like a Louisville slugger at someone and that's on another level. Same with stomping with a skate and attacking someone from beind.

I also get angry when people overreact. I remember people comparing what Martin did to talbot to the Bertuzzi Moore incident. Bertuzzi punched Moore from behind and then drove his head straight Into the ice and broke his neck and was still pounding away. Martin grabbed Talbot and with an open hand he reached around and grabbed his chest. It looks like a swing but if you watch Martin did not contact his face and on e talbot turtled Martin didn't throw any more punches.

I couldn't stand how they were comparing the Martin incident to the Bertuzzi incident. It wasn't a clean fight, but I think there were dirtier things in that Isles-Pens game.

BroadwayJay*

You know what I was thinking?

What if Lars Eller gets like $5m or so in arbitration and the Habs take it.

Then Subban gets like $10m and the Habs can't get it under the cap and have to decline the arbitration. He would become an UFA just like that.

It is an amusing longshot to consider, but boy that would be a monkeywrench in the works if there ever was one!

Barzallelujah

Dec 27, 2006

Then Subban gets like $10m and the Habs can't get it under the cap and have to decline the arbitration. He would become an UFA just like that.

It is an amusing longshot to consider, but boy that would be a monkeywrench in the works if there ever was one!

He's friends with JT! :naughty:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The question is, why would they take Eller getting $5m over Subban at $10m? I would let Eller walk if it was going to cost me Subban.

BroadwayJay*

The question is, why would they take Eller getting $5m over Subban at $10m? I would let Eller walk if it was going to cost me Subban.

I was thinking they might get the Eller decision before the Subban decision.

The Subban decision is going to be unprecedented I think. Has a Norris winner ever gone to arbitration before?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was thinking they might get the Eller decision before the Subban decision.

The Subban decision is going to be unprecedented I think. Has a Norris winner ever gone to arbitration before?

I was wondering about the timing as well. Do you know how long they have to decide? I couldn't imagine it's a 'you have five minutes' type of deal.

Not sure if a Norris winner ever went to arbitration, I'd guess not, but I also don't see Montreal doing anything that would jeopardize keeping him. They'd be looking to trade him if they didn't they could keep him I'd imagine. Do they get any compensation if he turns UFA after arbitration?

BroadwayJay*

I was wondering about the timing as well. Do you know how long they have to decide? I couldn't imagine it's a 'you have five minutes' type of deal.

Not sure if a Norris winner ever went to arbitration, I'd guess not, but I also don't see Montreal doing anything that would jeopardize keeping him. They'd be looking to trade him if they didn't they could keep him I'd imagine. Do they get any compensation if he turns UFA after arbitration?

You get no compensation because it isn't an offer sheet. He's UFA, the U being "unrestricted".

I don't know how much time you get to decide, I'd have to check out the CBA.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You get no compensation because it isn't an offer sheet. He's UFA, the U being "unrestricted".

I don't know how much time you get to decide, I'd have to check out the CBA.

I didn't think they'd get compensation. So I don't see any way they allow that to happen. They'd trade him first, if they could.

How much rioting would take place in Montreal if he did become a UFA? :naughty:

BroadwayJay*

I was just reading an article about Jeff Petry's deal and since he scored half as many points as Cody Franson, I have to think Franson gets more at arbitration.

If Franson were to be award $4m in arbitration.

The Leafs would have $1m in cap space with three to sign, including a backup tender and Jake the Snake Gardiner.

Imagine what a capped out they'll be if he gets $4.5m?

Leaf-land is a scary place.

What can they possibly do in that situation? If they don't trade or settle with Franson they're in a LOT of cap trouble; which I think many of my colleagues on here have been saying for some time.

BroadwayJay*

I was looking at salary, not cap number. They have $13m in space with 17 signed.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
CHI signs Kane and Toews for 8 years @ 10.5 per....

Call CHI and se what it will take to get Sharp and/or Oduya

sorondoe

IslAnders
Oct 10, 2012
Ballroom A

Sounds intriguing, but as stated already, the caphits kick in next year. What's fun though, is that Brandon Saad becomes an RFA next season. Can they afford him? And if they do, somebody else gotta go.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sounds intriguing, but as stated already, the caphits kick in next year. What's fun though, is that Brandon Saad becomes an RFA next season. Can they afford him? And if they do, somebody else gotta go.

They are already over the cap this season, by 2.2 million. They have 67.7 million locked up next season already, on 15 players. They need to move guys.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Good for CHI - paying up for their players that have added tremendous value and revenue to a once dead in the water market market franchise. Those guys should be Gettin a ton more.

Just remember, Snow recently said as you rebuild it requires a low payroll...uh-huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad