News Around the League Part III: Stretch run time

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
While the Devils weren't very good this year as a reflection of the number of points earned, I think Shero should be GM of the year. He hosed Anaheim and Montreal in trades, bolstered the minor league team, and added a little depth. The team was very good before Camm and a bunch of other guys got hurt.

Sullivan for coach of the year. He managed to get his superstars to play together in a Joe Torre-esque fashion.

Shero definitely had a great year....but getting a best GM nomination for a non-playoff team was even less likely than Cory winning the Vezina on a non-playoff team. You can at least cite stats for goaltenders. With GM's it's harder to rate performance from the outside.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's basically the Jack Adams of GMs. You've got the President's Trophy team, the team that improved after firing the coach (although wasn't it Rutherford who hired Johnston to begin with?), and then the team that had a surprise season. It's more about the story of the team than it really is who is the best at their job.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Shero definitely had a great year....but getting a best GM nomination for a non-playoff team was even less likely than Cory winning the Vezina on a non-playoff team. You can at least cite stats for goaltenders. With GM's it's harder to rate performance from the outside.

Sure. But I think most can agree that the Devils were dead in the water at the end of last season.

They may have been the worst team in the Eastern Conference had they not pulled off the Palmieri trade. Who would have potted those 30 goals? Other guys would not have been able to crack their goal total as he wasn't passing them the puck.

Smelly also won them a few games.

I get all three GMs being nominated, but I feel like I would be voting for the POTUS :P

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The TJ Oshie trade and Justin Williams who of course did squadoosh for them in the playoffs after being Mr. Money elsewhere.

Don't forget the Mike Richards signing mid season! :sarcasm:

I only accidentally happened to read this from refreshing the Metro division team boards, but noticed that Howie Rose would not be returning to the Islanders PBP next year.

I can never take that guy seriously as an Islanders announcer, after he excited and passionate he was of the Matteau goal call for the Rangers. I do enjoy him as a baseball announcer for the Mets, although I rarely listen to him on the radio.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Don't forget the Mike Richards signing mid season! :sarcasm:

I only accidentally happened to read this from refreshing the Metro division team boards, but noticed that Howie Rose would not be returning to the Islanders PBP next year.

I can never take that guy seriously as an Islanders announcer, after he excited and passionate he was of the Matteau goal call for the Rangers. I do enjoy him as a baseball announcer for the Mets, although I rarely listen to him on the radio.

Wash got rid of two forwards who are still contributing in these playoffs.

Good news about Rose leaving, he's not good at hockey announcing.

He was a downgrade from Jiggs McDonald

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Howie is in his 60's. Doing hockey and baseball is damn impressive as I'm sure he gets about 9 days off a year

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think they got the better player in the Oshie/Brouwer deal. Brouwer isn't very good anymore, and had a pretty bad season for a 3rd liner standards.

He also took two bad penalties last night, which Burns scored on both times.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Own the puck changed up. I guess it's the offseason format?

now contains a 2016/17 projection.

Not sure what I'm looking at really.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Caps built a good team this season. Pittsburgh is just better and are rolling.

Pretty much. Only so much can be gleaned from playoff results given the sample size.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Washington, who is so conditioned to expect 3-4 goals per game and an easy time with things, struggles when faced with adversity. Meanwhile Pittsburgh had to deal with injuries to Malkin and their goalies, and being on the playoff bubble for a while.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Pretty much. Only so much can be gleaned from playoff results given the sample size.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Washington, who is so conditioned to expect 3-4 goals per game and an easy time with things, struggles when faced with adversity. Meanwhile Pittsburgh had to deal with injuries to Malkin and their goalies, and being on the playoff bubble for a while.

Except the larger sample does say that Pitt is legitimately rolling right now.

I find hockey to be unique like that, a team can fumble around for a while, and then go on prolonged hot streaks, and then cool off to never find that rhythm. We've certainly seen it with the Devils over the years.

And of coarse Pitt has been the sleeping giant for forever. Add Kessel to the mix? Throw him on a 3rd like with a speedy guy like Hagelin, and away they go.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Good news about Rose leaving, he's not good at hockey announcing.

He was a downgrade from Jiggs McDonald

I've never listened enough or paid attention enough to form an opinion, but he is such a good baseball guy on the radio that I have a hard time believing he is not a good hockey announcer.

And the Matteau call is like an all time classic.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I don't understand why Toronto hired Lou if Shanahan would be making all the decisions anyway. Can someone enlighten me? Was it to make them look like a legitimate organization?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't understand why Toronto hired Lou if Shanahan would be making all the decisions anyway. Can someone enlighten me? Was it to make them look like a legitimate organization?

To be the GM only...make the trades/roster moves that follow the blueprint and basically be Shanny's consigliere.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
To be the GM only...make the trades/roster moves that follow the blueprint and basically be Shanny's consigliere.

I think Lou would also bring advice on how to structure the organization and how reporting between groups will work.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Wars Of Sky with 3 huge blocks on that PK.

He also had a nice goal on an amazing snap shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad