News Around the League 2016-17 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yes they can. We fired Deboer but San Jose still needed to ask to speak with him.

Im guessing its in coaches contacts. The money is likely guaranteed for the remainder of the contact unless the coach signs somewhere else. Then it comes off the books from the team that fired said coach.

I'm pretty sure that they got rid of that rule, if I'm not mistaken. Could easily be wrong though.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I'm pretty sure that they got rid of that rule, if I'm not mistaken. Could easily be wrong though.

They got rid of the part of the rule requiring the fired coach's new team to compensate his prior team. Because it's obviously BS to fire someone and be compensated if they find new work.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm a little more scared of Montreal now. This looked obvious, as Julien has been the head coach there before, so we know he can speak French, which is a requirement to be a Habs head coach. It just seemed like Montreal was never gonna get rid of Therrien.

And with the firings of Capuano, Hitchcock, Julien from Boston and Therrien all in the last month, Jon Cooper becomes the fourth longest tenured coach in the league. Hired March 25th of 2013. I actually saw his first game, which was against us of course. Since Pete has been fired by us, only 11 teams have not made at least one head coaching change. And since we've hired Hynes, 13 teams have made at least one head coaching change.

So currently the average head coach isn't even lasting 2 years in the league. Just about two thirds have made at least one coaching since May 18th of 2015, the offseason before this past one. That's pretty interesting.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What contract? It was terminated.

A team can't fire you and then restrict your employment options.

Why would any team need permission otherwise? Boston was still paying the contract cause he'd been fired ergo they still retained his rights (and paying the $3 million owed him) until someone else hired him.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Vermette with a bonehead move, slashes ref after a facepff. Looks like he was upset about an unfair draw but my goodness you can't do that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I seriously think that Bergevin only hired Therrien in the first place because he spoke French, which remains a requirement to be a head coach in Montreal. They wanted to run Randy Cunneyworth out of town when he was an interim after the Jaques Martin firing before Therrien was hired there, since he couldn't speak French. That whole situation was amateur hour, shaming a guy because he couldn't speak French, when it was their own French GM who made the guy the interim head coach. And obviously Molson okay'd it. There was no need to publicly say he was only an interim for the sole purpose of being ignorant to the French language though.

I'm not exactly sure who speaks French and who can't out of NHL head coaches. When Therrien was hired back in 2012 though, they may not have had many NHL experienced options at the time. Julien was coaching in Boston, AV was coaching in Vancouver. Both had already been head coaches with Montreal already at that point in time. They just fired Jacques Martin 6 months earlier, Guy Carbonneau had been fired like not even 3 years before that and probably wasn't an NHL caliber head coach, Guy Boucher was coaching the TBL, Patrick Roy had never coached in the NHL though I remember him supposedly being a candidate and they passed. Jacques Lemaire had retired from coaching full time, Pat Burns had died. Larry Robinson wasn't interested in full time head coaching anymore. Not even sure if Robinson spoke French, he wasn't from Quebec and just because he played there for almost 20 years, doesn't mean he was necessarily privy to the language. They were out of options, so Therrien retread it was. Julien is a retread, but at least he's been a pretty good head coach since he stopped Julienballing. If anything, they made the mistake of not hiring him at the first possible second he became available.:laugh:

I'm glad he didn't end up in Brooklyn or with a team like Florida.

Vermette with a bonehead move, slashes ref after a facepff. Looks like he was upset about an unfair draw but my goodness you can't do that.

Good god.

I actually think ''Abuse of officials'' is a stupid term, since it's a term that can be used just for cussing at an official.

But that literally was abuse of an official right there.

He'll be suspended, for how many games, not sure what my guess is on that.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I actually think ''Abuse of officials'' is a stupid term, since it's a term that can be used just for cussing at an official.

its amazing the things ive said to refs in 20+ years of soccer…. if you said it to them to their face and not loud so as everyone around (sideline folks) could hear they would understand and take it/tell you to **** off...….and after that many years i was known and respected and could push the boundry with out getting carded….. they knew me. thing is, there was always a more hotwire player on the squad that could 'lose it' at any moment in all those years.. i kept that **** in order by means of seniority.

there were also refs that 'encouraged' the **** talk during the game at the coin tosses before the match started as long as it didnt make a mockery of them… and they were great refs.

knew how to let players play hard and vent on each other , just dont be ****** bags

i have much respect for the hierarchy of sport officiating.

edit: oh ****, im on one of my soccer playing, i know this **** diatribes. …i am rational though i hope

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
its amazing the things ive said to refs in 20+ years of soccer…. if you said it to them to their face and not loud so as everyone around (sideline folks) could hear they would understand and take it/tell you to **** off...….and after that many years i was known and respected and could push the boundry with out getting carded….. they knew me. thing is, there was always a more hotwire player on the squad that could 'lose it' at any moment in all those years.. i kept that **** in order by means of seniority.

there were also refs that 'encouraged' the **** talk during the game at the coin tosses before the match started as long as it didnt make a mockery of them… and they were great refs.

knew how to let players play hard and vent on each other , just dont be ****** bags

I think these days, the officials in the NHL usually don't penalize someone for swearing at them. I remember Sykora claiming that the refs gave him an unsportsmanlike, after he claimed he just went up and talked to them to tell them politely he didn't like a call that was made before that. Then he said he won't be talking to the officials anymore. That was in his comeback tour stint 5 years ago.:laugh:

And even recently, one referee had his mic on without realizing it and it picked up him shouting back ''**** you! **** you!'' at a player. Haha it was in a main board thread from a game a couple weeks ago.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I think these days, the officials in the NHL usually don't penalize someone for swearing at them. I remember Sykora claiming that the refs gave him an unsportsmanlike, after he claimed he just went up and talked to them to tell them politely he didn't like a call that was made before that. Then he said he won't be talking to the officials anymore. That was in his comeback tour stint 5 years ago.:laugh:

And even recently, one referee had his mic on without realizing it and it picked up him shouting back ''**** you! **** you!'' at a player. Haha it was in a main board thread from a game a couple weeks ago.

yes, that. banter with refs and players has been going on forever. its called rapport. and it works.

too bad for syk on that one though

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
yes, that. banter with refs and players has been going on forever. its called rapport. and it works.

too bad for syk on that one though
I figure any time a coach or player gets an unsportsmanlike for ''Abuse'' of officials these days, they must have really crossed the line. Maybe taking a cheap shot that brings their family into things or telling them they hope they trip on a banana peel and break their neck or something. It's easy to lip read sometimes and you see a lot of unsavory things said (especially by Pete) that usually don't turn into another penalty.

Langenbrunner had quite a mouth on him when he was captain when it came to the refs.
Clarkson's career is likely over due to degenerative back disease.
I don't really know much about that, I've actually never heard of degenerative back disease before. Now I wonder just exactly how long he's had it for, and if that had any bearing on his sudden decline and vast drop off in play shortly before leaving here.

That's really sad if true, and even I have been making fun of the guy non-stop for years now and laughing about how he makes more than Cammalleri (among others). If that's the case, at least he got to play in Toronto (still hate the Leafs), which seemed like something he had always dreamed of. And best case scenario was he was shipped out before things got really bad there, with him having years left on his deal. He's really an underdog story with the way he made it to the NHL and he can say he had a 30 goal season in the NHL once. He also always spoke of this organization and Lou with total class, even though his agent was a ****** with his words before he hit free agency that year. Just from observation and what others have said, he also was the most approachable and friendly and humble guy among fans. I remember someone saying how one night after a blowout loss at home, only he and Stephen Gionta stayed to sign for every fan waiting after the game.

I sincerely do wish him the best and congrats to him on living the dream. I think he appreciated it more than your average NHL player.:nod:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170214/blue-jackets--david-clarkson-staring-at-harsh-reality

Same thing the ended Horton's career and he apparently was dealing with it at some level before he left here.

Some really sad quotes in here.

It's sad when guys like him, Clowe and Horton can't go out on their own terms and their career's are cut short.

They're not considered young for NHL players anymore, but they're all in their early 30's and still young men in everyday life in my book. It's important they have their health for them to enjoy the long lives they've still got ahead of him and their families.

Clarkie will probably get a job doing something, so he'll hopefully still be around the game. He's currently coaching high school hockey right now. It's gotta be at least some consolation for a guy like Clowe to be able to travel with the team and get on the ice every day on his skates as a coach. Only with little to no chance of becoming permanently injured, unlike if he were still playing.

I could see Pete trying to get Doug to find him something to do in San Jose at some point down the road, since the two of them were close and go back a long ways. That's if Columbus doesn't get him something to do.:nod:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good god.

Well it wasn't AS bad as Wideman literally bodychecking an official, but Vermette probably has to get at least ten games.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Will always have a soft spot for Clarkie. Wouldn't mind him doing something related to the Devils alumni and being an ambassador for the team. Of all the players I've met, he is by far one of the most down to earth. Great guy all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad