News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
On a quick check €100-€200 last time around in 2011 in Helsinki.

They are in talks apparently as it gets spoken about, but I wonder if there will be a hiccup because the go-to venue for this stuff, Hartwall Arena, is a KHL Arena nowadays ~owned by a team owner. NHL may be seen as a competitor nowadays.
Damn that`s a bit, with travel expenses it might be around 400 euro per person...

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Potential problem with playing in Finland to start the year, first home game will likely be something like October 28th.

Been through it before, such is life sharing the arena with the State fair, but it still sucks.

I think anyone would much rather go to Finland than Winnipeg.

I think everyone in Winnipeg would rather be in Finland.

Not only is it cold af but it’s pretty gross and has a lot of crime.

I have to imagine of all the Canadian markets that Winnipeg is easily the least desirable. Some former NHL GM from the 90's stated that the league was making a mistake in moving the Thrashers there because it was always #1 on the "Don't trade me there" lists.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Those are all RFAs who were drafted by Winnipeg though.

Winnipeg will have to actually win a playoff game or two AND potentially pay a Winnipeg location tax to attract UFAs. At least IMO.

They probably should avoid the UFA market, don't want to sign the next Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, Beleskey, etc. They have drafted extremely well so they might not need to sign any big ticket UFAs.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I was looking a couple of years ahead. Once the window is properly open and if they are a serious contender then, I think that cancels out the prospective "Winnipeg tax". If they aren't, money isn't going to bring in the UFAs anyway.

There's Mark frigging Scheifele there on a home town deal; you'd have to be pretty special UFA to command salary much over him. But, leave some on the table so the team can afford good bottom 6, and there may be a legit shot at the big prize.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The orange and black ones are a nice throwback to the ASG uniforms of old. I mean, that's the color scheme they used for the Ace Bailey benefit game in 1934, it's about as classic NHL as you can possibly get, I don't understand how you could have objections there. Neon green and gray? Eh. I guess they're doing a past v future thing, where 'future' is defined by a color scheme that's now 80s-90s retro. Yes, I know that that color scheme looked rad and futuristic in the roller rink/arcades the Xers grew up in, but if there's a way to make "the future" look dated...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad