NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension's Final Full Mock Draft

newdimension

May 18, 2013
My final mock draft for the season. I've been posting these versions here monthly since before the WJC, while reading what others say and taking some suggestions. It's been a whole lot of fun. Can't wait to dig into next year's crop, which seems to be deeper than this year's group.

Also, all comparisons I make should be taken lightly. Not everyone is going to turn into the same guy, or an allstar, or even make the league, for that matters. It's just a way to look back in ~5 years to see how right/wrong I was.

I'm going to do a write-up for the first 4 rounds, then finish off straight up pick-em style with the final 3. I'm predicting the Penguins end up winning the Cup, thus drafting last in each round, too. If I'm wrong in that regard, then, uh, just switch Nashville and Pittsburgh around. I'm about 95% sure the pick order is right. If I have a team picking that shouldn't be, then that's my mistake.

:: ROUND 1 ::

1. New Jersey: Nico Hischier, C
I can't help but feel they're leaning towards him. It isn't based on any one thing; but I think he could be a better fit into their system and that's not to mention Nolan Patrick's injury problems.
Comparison: Henrik Zetterberg, especially when he was younger, fast and more dynamic. Has the potential to be a top line center.

2. Philadelphia: Nolan Patrick, C
The Devils passing on him is the Flyers's gain. At the combine, he said he's good to go. He's regarded as the best player in the draft, it's just that those injuries are way too scary for the Devils at first overall. As for the Flyers, they'll get someone with high potential that can
Comparison: Eric Staal. An all-around top line center that won't ever be an elite guy, but can still be productive and play well at all ends of the rink.

3. Dallas: Miro Heiskanen, D
If they even keep the pick, I could see them going with the best player on the board, which would be Heiskanen, who had an excellent late-season rise and under-18 tournament. I think he has top defenseman potential, which would make it hard for Dallas to pass on.
Comparison: Duncan Keith -- he can skate really well, move the puck along and brings a calm, two-way presence on the ice that'll allow him to put up points and play defense really well.

4. Colorado: Gabriel Vilardi, C/RW
After a really promising Memorial Cup, Vilardi is taken by the Avs. They would love his skill down low, thinking he could either come in as either a winger or center; maybe even a winger that could be converted to center. It gives them another big body and a change in team direction in moving forward.
Comparison: Mark Stone, meaning he's a big, heavy forward that can play well on the boards and behind the net; he can strip opponents of the puck; put up points with a playmaking style of game; and even has the same skating deficiencies.

5. Vancouver: Cody Glass, C
Coming out of the combine, they seem to be very high on both Glass and Elias Pettersson. I think one of them could be their pick, with Glass probably being their choice. Having a strong set of centers has shown to be important, as they'll run a Glass-Horvat combo down the middle.
Comparison: Ryan Johansen -- a smart playmaking center with size that has potential to become a top line center.

6. Vegas: Elias Pettersson, C
As GM of the Washington Capitals, George McPhee took some Swedes and it worked out pretty well for him. I think he'll do the same here in Vegas, hoping Pettersson can go on to become the next Nicklas Backstrom.
Comparison: Alexander Wennberg, who was also slight of frame when drafted and blessed with a lot of playmaking talent and smarts. He just needs to put on some weight.

7. Arizona: Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW
I think it's going to be between Mittelstadt and Cale Makar for the Coyotes. Ultimately, much like how they took Clayton Keller last year, they go with Mittelstadt, adding even more firepower. They could then use one of their other forwards as a trade chip to grab a defenseman that's ready to play now. Mittelstadt's poor combine physical stats drop him a little, but I don't think it'll be anything major.
Comparison: Evgeny Kuznetsov -- an offense-first type of playmaking center.

8. Buffalo: Cale Makar, D
They breathe a sigh of relief to see their guy is still there. They need defensive and offensive help. Mix the two together and they'd get him. He plays in a lesser league, which is scary; but they'd have faith in him.
Comparison: A lot of comparisons are out there with him and Erik Karlsson, which is probably. I liken him more to a Mike Green of about 8-9 years ago.

9. Detroit: Martin Necas, C
Detroit seems to really like him. They're on the hunt for playmaking centers and he fits the bill perfectly for them. He's a two-way center whose game is all about speed and playmaking, it's both a BPA situation for them and a "draft for need" scenario, with Hakan Andersson likely giving him the thumbs up.
Comparison: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, especially when he first was drafted. When he was expected to bring stellar playmaking and two-way play.

10. Florida: Owen Tippett, RW
It seems like a perfect fit for both parties. Even with his tendency to be a little flaky, he could still be an excellent goal scorer, something the Panthers are in the hunt for. Pair him with a playmaker such as Jonathan Huderbeau or even Aleksander Barkov and he could be a fine trigger man.
Comparison: Maybe Evander Kane mixed with some Phil Kessel -- plays both a power role and a goal scoring sniper's game, complete with speed and inconsistency.

11. Los Angeles: Michael Rasmussen, C/LW
It's not going to be a pick beloved by all Kings fans, even with a new GM. They think his size alone could get him into the NHL -- needing surefire prospects badly -- and everything after would be a plus. Teams still could crazy about players with size and Rasmussen certainly has that, standing around the 6'5" mark.
Comparison: Jason Arnott is a recent comparable that I've seen and liked, which is probably his base case scenario. Maybe sort of a Martin Hanzal or Nick Bjugstad type, to be more realistic.

12. Carolina: Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW
As of late, Carolina's been on a Finnish kick with their prospects. They could see him pairing well with Teravainen and Aho, giving them more size on their wings, with added offense. The U18 tournament is what has moved him up the board and into the arms of the 'Canes.
Comparison: James van Riemsdyk -- not likely a top line scoring winger, but a depth scoring winger that'll play around the lineup and add offense and size.

13. Winnipeg: Timothy Liljegren, D
The Jets step up and take the big risk with the Swedish defenseman. They think he can have a bounceback season next year, when he is fully clear of mono, has gotten the right training and better focus.
Comparison: Justin Schultz -- whether it's the Oilers or Penguins version remains to be seen.

14. Tampa Bay: Juuso Valimaki, D
They also breathe a sigh of relief to see their guy still there. They need help on their backend and he's a few months older than a lot of the other guys, meaning he's more likely to step in sooner. It's not the sole reason to take him, either; they would like his puck movement ability, size, two-way play and more.
Comparison: Brady Skjei -- I liked him a lot to the Rangers d-man, who had a breakout in the playoffs, for his ability to rush the puck, and play an all-around game.

15. New York Islanders: Nicolas Hague, D
With plenty of forwards on the way up, they decide to take a chance on the big defender, Nicolas Hague. After a good playoff run, he'll likely become a shutdown type of defender; albeit one that could add some offense, thanks to that big bomb of a pointshot he has.
Comparison: Colton Parayko -- not sure if he'll be as good as Parayko currently in; but there's some similarities; ie: the blistering, hard shot; the ability to use his size to shut opponents down; etc.

16. Calgary: Nick Suzuki, RW/C
The Flames are able to hit the jackpot with Suzuki falling into their laps. He's a right handed forward that plays wing and center and can contribute in various ways, whether it be scoring goals or playing a smart, two-way game.
Comparison: Joe Pavelski -- at this best, I think he could be Pavelski-like. Not the best skating ability, but passable; and plays with high IQ.

17. Toronto: Conor Timmins, D
They've taken a liking to analytics these past few years and Timmins is often pointed towards as an analytics darling. They need defense and he could be their guy. With him being a few months older, it means he's closer to making the jump to the pros, in my opinion.
Comparison: Jake Muzzin -- a guy that can bring a little bit of everything: smart puck movement, two-way play, some physicality and good smarts.

18. Boston: Eeli Tolvanen, LW/RW
An absolutely pure sniper. He drops a little due to teams thinking he can be a little one-dimensional, that if you take away his shot, you can shut him down completely. That said, he's committed to Boston College next year and the Bruins like players that play in America, so it makes sense.
Comparison: Mike Cammalleri... but with an extra inch or two. Same shoot-first, high-volume shooter mentality.

19. San Jose: Lias Andersson, LW/C/RW
Adding a versatile, smart, two-way forward would be ideal for the Sharks. He'd probably be the best on the board and they'd think he's a surefire NHL player some day.
Comparison: Alex Steen -- a versatile, two-way guy that can play in any role, on any line and does whatever coaches want from him.

20. St. Louis: Robert Thomas, C
Recent history shows that the Blues like picking smart players. Robert Thomas would be the best on the board, being a high IQ, two-way, playmaking center that can also be used to play against tough competition.
Comparison: Derek Stepan -- a two-way, do-it-all, playmaking center.

21. New York Rangers: Erik Brannstrom, D
After seeing the damage Erik Karlsson did to them during the playoffs, the Rangers would be smart to take Brannstrom. I think he actually aligns more with Karlsson than the previously noted Cale Makar, considering that Karlsson was also undersized when drafted. His 5'9" size might hurt his draft ranking, but I think the Rangers hope he can gain an inch or two, considering he's still one of the younger players in the draft.
Comparison: Brian Campbell -- a smaller, offensively minded defenseman with good skating and can hold his own in his own end.

22. Edmonton: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW
As a big, 6'6" winger, he seems like the type that Chiarrelli would love. He even has some skill, which would make him a perfect complement to play on a skilled lineup in a top 9.
Comparison: Dustin Penner -- a big, tall guy with some offense and consistency issues that can be considered a complementary piece on a scoring line.

23. Arizona [from Minnesota]: Callan Foote, D
After going with Casey Mittelstadt earlier, they go with the "bloodlines" pick of Callan Foote. The Coyotes love taking players with NHL bloodlines, plus it's another big-minute right-handed defender that could help protect leads.
Comparison: At top end, he could be like an Oscar Klefbom type of guy, as long as he can improve his shot. If not, he could also turn into a minute-munching Brian Dumoulin type of tall, "safe" defenseman.

24. Columbus: Josh Norris, C
He jumps into the top 25 after blowing away his competition at the combine, along with a late-season surge with a solid U18 tournament. The Blue Jackets would think he has top 9 -- possibly even top 6 -- upside, thinking he could help fill out their center depth. He even has some connections to current Blue Jacket, Zach Werenski.
Comparison: Mike Fisher -- a two-way type of do-it-all center with decent size and athleticism that owns good playmaking ability. A special teams wizard type.

25. Montreal: Filip Chytil, C/LW
I'm thinking he's a surefire 1st rounder after measuring in at 6'2" at the combine, despite still being one of the younger players in the draft. The Habs have a dire need for centers and he could help patch that area, thanks to his late-season rise in the rankings.
Comparison: Charlie Coyle -- a big, two-way center that has some dangling ability and is hard to knock off the puck. A guy that can also contribute to the powerplay and penalty kill.

26. Chicago: Ryan Poehling, C
The Blackhawks take the best player left on the board. He's slipped due to teams fearing his overall offensive output. However, on a team like Chicago, he'd only have to target becoming a 2nd or 3rd line center, which is quite possible given his skillset.
Comparison: Travis Zajac -- a two-way pivot whose game focuses on two-way, "safe" plays, including getting turnovers, winning faceoffs and playing a smart, sizeable game.

27. St. Louis [from Washington]: Jason Robertson, LW/RW
They'd love that he's still here. He'd go well with their previous pick, Robert Thomas, going hard to the net to score goals and puts up good numbers in analytics. Needs to work on his skating, but walking out with him would be great.
Comparison: There's a little bit of Corey Perry in his game; maybe he doesn't have the top end skill and agitation, but he plays a similar power-scoring style. Maybe James Neal is a better comparable.

28. Ottawa: Jake Oettinger, G
The Sens have Craig Anderson for now. However, for down the road, they're going to need someone with high-skill to come in and take over the load. He's the best on the board and has excelled at every level he's competed.
Comparison: He strikes many Carey Price-like areas, especially in his ability to track the puck, contain rebounds and maintain his composure. He won't have the exact same career, but there's some similarities. Maybe John Gibson would be a more realistic choice.

29. Dallas [from Anaheim]: Kailer Yamamoto, RW
The fact that he's not even 5'8" is going to result in him to drop down the board. That said, he has elite level of talent and would be taken top 10 -- maybe even top 5 -- if he was 6 foot. Ala, he isn't, so it's the Stars who are to gain.
Comparison: Mats Zuccarello -- a smaller, but highly talented, elite playmaking forward.

30. Nashville: Klim Kostin, RW
They hope for a Vladimir Tarasenko-like steal with the falling Russian. They have some other Russians in their system, it fits with that theme and they hope he sticks with the team and plays with consistency. I think their fears over the Radulov situation are a thing of the past.
Comparison: Bobby Ryan -- a big power winger with good offensive ability and skill, who has the potential to also lay on the body, albeit lacks some consistency, as well.

31. Pittsburgh: Urho Vaakanainen, D
With injuries to Kris Letang, they're not sure how their defense will look like in the future. As such, they grab the best player left on the board. They feel acclimate well with their other Finnish defenseman, Olli Maatta.
Comparison: Dan Hamhuis -- kind of like the younger version of Hamhuis, when he moved the puck much smoother and played excellent positionally.

:: ROUND 2 ::

32. Colorado: Jaret Anderson-Dolan, C
Despite not really shining at the U18 tournament, he was still named the captain for Team Canada and is still considered a smart, two-way player with skill. The Avs would take him to further build up their depth, needing a big boost.
Comparison: Sebastian Aho -- a "never say quit" center that isn't the tallent, but has excellent skating ability, two-way play and make plays and shoot the puck.

33. Vancouver: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D
As a teammate of Canucks prospect, Guillaume Brisebois, it's likely they've seen him a ton. It gives them another really good, dependable defenseman for the future.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin -- for his ability to move the puck, play a "safe" two-way game and both shutdown play and move the puck.

34. Vegas: Stelio Mattheos, RW/C
There's a Brandon Wheat King connection between himself and the team. They know what they're getting with him and would be glad to take him.
Comparison: Brandon Sutter -- a sizeable, two-way forward with good skating ability that could make it in a depth role.

35. Arizona: Henri Jokiharju, D
They add another talented defensive prospect that plays with a little more mobility and playmaking skill than their previous selection, Callan Foote. Gives them more depth on the blueline, which is something they'd love to add.
Comparison: Nick Leddy -- a speedy, playmaking defenseman that can move the puck along nicely and swiftly.

36. New Jersey: Josh Brook, D
The Devils have some major holes to fill on defense. They take the vastly underrated Brook, who has some solid two-way play.
Comparison: Alec Martinez -- a puck-moving type of defender that may not be a top tier guy, but a guy that moves the puck along, plays fine defensively and plays a smart game.

37. Buffalo: Shane Bowers, C
The Sabres go with a more responsible forward for their next selection. He may only top out as a 3rd line guy; even if he brings plenty of intangibles, leadership ability and two-way play.
Comparison: Zemgus Girgensons -- brings some physicality, two-way play and could be considered a shutdown forward that can occasionally add some offense.

38. Detroit: Ivan Lodnia, RW
He's a local kid, which means the Red Wings might like to grab him. He should have a larger role next season, which should boost his offensive production.
Comparison: Tomas Tatar -- sort of a smaller, tank-like, middle 6 goal scoring forward.

39. Dallas: Michael Dipietro, G
They've recently hired the Windsor Spitfires's goalie coach. To second that, they target Windsor's goalie. I think comments about his height are overblown and his talent will overcome that.
Comparison: Jonathan Quick -- a talented, fast goalie with good upside, even if he doesn't fit the stereotypical modern goalie height.

40. Florida: Keith Petruzzelli, G
With Luongo not getting any younger, it's time they focused on developing some goalies. They go with a big one -- and one of the better ones of the bunch.
Comparison: Ben Bishop -- a tall goalie with a lot of upside and has starter potential.

41. Los Angeles: Joni Ikonen, C/RW
Some will want them to take a goalie. On the other hand, I think continue to build up their forward depth would be key. Ikonen would give them a highly skilled forward that could even contend for the first round.
Comparison: Jeff Skinner -- not the tallest guy, but a compact offensive scorer and offensive talent.

42. Carolina: Ostap Safin, RW/C
He came into the combine and measured out even bigger than expected. Teams love the size factor, including the Hurricanes, who'll want to get larger upfront.
Comparison: Brian Boyle -- a responsible, two-way center/winger that also has a shoot-first mentality and can drive to the net. Albeit, he may not have a huge offensive upside.

43. Winnipeg: Morgan Frost, C
The Jets luck out with Frost still on the board. He has playing speed and could potentially grow to become a 2nd-3rd line center with some good two-way playmaking ability.
Comparison: Christian Dvorak -- a speedy center with solid playmaking ability and smarts.

44. Philadelphia: Evan Barratt, C
The Flyers would find it difficult to pass on this Pennsylvanian-born center. He's been an analytics darling, as well. He might push for a second line center spot in the future, if everything works out perfectly for him.
Comparison: Mikhail Grabovski -- an energetic, playmaking center that can hold his own at both ends of the ice.

45. Tampa Bay: Alexei Lipanov, C
They've never feared the Russian factor and I don't see them starting now. He could make a decent top 9 center, giving them depth in case some of their other, current forwards move on in a few years.
Comparison: Valterri Filppulla -- a mixture of speed and playmaking ability, with an added bonus of two-way skill.

46. New York Islanders: Mackenzie Entwhistle, C/RW
It'll give the Islanders a guy that's actually pretty close to making the league, thanks to his size and defensive skill. He may not have high-end offensive upside, but could make a nice shutdown type of 3rd/4th line power forward.
Comparison: Radek Faksa -- he could become a big, clunky skating, third line center that can shutdown opponents using his size and smarts.

47. Ottawa [from Calgary]: Kole Lind, RW
The only reason I could see him falling is if other teams make grabs for centers and defensemen. The Sens don't usually take fallers; but in this case, they'll make the exception. He's the type of forward they like to build around.
Comparison: JT Miller -- a middle 6 winger that can provide some offense, energetic play and two-way skill.

48. Tampa Bay [from Toronto]: Cale Fleury, D
It's another pick for their backend that might be going a little understated in the rankings. He seems like a Lightning type of defender.
Comparison: Brendan Smith -- a solid skating, physical defenseman that can move the puck and grind it out with some hits.

49. New Jersey [from Boston]: Jesper Boqvist, LW/C
They seem to be building a speedy, talented team. Boqvist would make a good match for that style of play.
Comparison: Jason Zucker -- a potentially top 6 forward whose game revolves around his excellent skating and playmaking skill.

50. Anaheim [from San Jose]: Matt Strome, LW
The Ducks love their guys with size. Matt Strome could be that guy, after falling a little due to his poor skating. Even with those skating issues, I don't see him falling out of the 2nd, with teams loving size.
Comparison: Troy Brouwer -- a power forward, who doesn't own the best skating ability, that excels in a depth role and can also pot a few points.

51. St. Louis: Grant Mismash, LW
A physical American winger to the Blues sounds like a good deal. He can also score some goals, too. He might have a chance at playing in a top 6 or top 9.
Comparison: Nick Foligno -- a physical, grinding power scorer.

52. Carolina [from New York Rangers]: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G
The Hurricanes would like to walk away with a solid goaltender from this draft. They love their Finns and they would love to take away Luukkonen, who's had a pretty good season overall.
Comparison: Pekka Rinne -- a big, athletic goalie with good speed and potential starter upside.

53. Boston [from Edmonton]: Maxime Comtois, LW/C
They were hoping for Luukkonen. With him off the board, they end Comtois's freefall. He started the year as a top 10 pick, falling all the way to #53 due to his offense not really shining through. That said, he could become a solid complementary power forward for the Bruins, which could be promising.
Comparison: Alex Killorn -- a versatile power forward that can chip in on any line, albeit most likely finding his bread and butter at home on a 3rd/4th line.

54. Buffalo [from Minnesota]: David Farrance, D
They take a chance on a local kid that was also a Sabres fan while growing up. They think of him as one of those 2nd round defenseman picks that end up developing over time and becoming a really good player.
Comparison: Kevin Shattenkirk -- I'm not sure if he can become as good as Shattenkirk, but he does hit a lot of similarities: good offense, a hard shot, good in transition and a power play guy. Maybe a lesser version of him, if anything.

55. Vancouver [from Columbus]: Nikita Popugaev, RW
The Canucks are the ones that step up and take the risk with him. As always, guys with size always go higher than they should. The same thing happens here, even with his inconsistent play being very alerting.
Comparison: Nik Antropov -- a 6'6" forward that plays a perimeter game and could battle inconsistency. However, that size is very tantalizing.

56. Montreal: Aleksi Heponiemi, C
After taking the a bigger center with their first pick, the Habs go back to Finland, taking the extremely skilled playmaker. The one issue that knocks him down the board, however, is his size. He's roughly 5'10" and not even 150 pounds, which will drive many teams away. That said, his hockey IQ is great and the Habs feel like they can't pass on his talent.
Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen -- a slick, skilled player that's also Finnish and who also doesn't have the greatest size.

57. Chicago: Maksim Zhukov, G
I think there'll be a run of goalies in the 2nd and probably again in the 4th. For the Blackhawks, they don't have that much depth in their pipeline. Their best bet is to take one of the more talented remaining guys and hope he develops into something.
Comparison: Sergei Bobrovsky -- he fits the mould of the modern day goaltender, complete with his size, good senses and mobility.

58. Montreal [from Washington]: Max Gildon, D
The Habs like drafting from American colleges. They return here to take Gildon, who has plenty of tools... he just needs to figure out how to put it all together.
Comparison: Alex Edler -- has the size, endurance, mobility, physicality and the big shot. He just needs to put it all together.

59. Toronto [from Ottawa]: Jonah Gadjovich, LW
The Leafs go with an Ontario-born kid, who displays power forward/scoring potential. He's a few months older than others, which drops him a little; but there's still a lot to like with his ability to drive to the net to score goals.
Comparison: Joshua Anderson -- a physical, agitating presence that will also go to the net to score goals.

60. Anaheim: Robin Salo, D
The Ducks would want to make sure they keep a healthy prospective pool of defensive prospects for their backend. If they lose a defender via the expansion draft, it could offset this loss to make sure their retain depth.
Comparison: David Savard -- a solid "master of none" defenseman with a good shot that'd likely excel in a depth role.

61. Nashville: Marcus Davidsson, LW/C
The Predators love their Swedish players. Davidsson's fallen a little, but it isn't drastic enough for concern, with the Preds happily taking him at this point.
Comparison: Ondrej Palat -- a swift, smart two-way forward that owns versatility and good playmaking ability.

62. Carolina [from Pittsburgh]: Jack Rathbone, D
The Hurricanes like to draft defenseman out of the American hockey developmental leagues. They could go with Rathbone, who'd be a longterm project that could step in ~4-5 years down the line and use his blazing speed to play as an offensive defenseman.
Comparison: Trevor Daley -- a defender that isn't the biggest of size that plays with pure speed to help him at both ends of the ice.

:: ROUND 3::

63. New Jersey [from Colorado]: Mario Ferraro, D
The Devils will want to keep building up their blueline. There's a lot to like about his game and seems to be wanted by teams.
Comparison: James Wisniewski -- a puck-moving type of defenseman that can play with some physicality and also possesses a hard slapshot.

64. Vancouver: Scott Walford, D
They take a two-way BC kid that can move the puck and play well defensively. He's gone a little underrated and the Canucks take a chance on him.
Comparison: Mark Pysyk -- a smart puck-mover that has decent size and plays a safe game.

65. Vegas: Markus Phillips, D
The Golden Knights go for a defenseman that has some upside. He has a lot of potential and could become a top 4 guy, if he puts it all together.
Comparison: Andrej Sekera -- a solid, smart, two-way guy that can add offense, while playing solid defensively.

66. Florida [from Arizona]: Antoine Morand, RW/C
They have no problems in taking "smaller" players. He could be a nice option upfront, given his draft position, bringing good offense and some gumption.
Comparison: Brayden Point -- an offensive guy with high hockey IQ and talent that drops only due to size.

67. Carolina [from New Jersey]: Scott Reedy, C/RW
He drops because of inconsistent play. He has top 9, maybe even top 6 upside, though. In the third round, it's really good value.
Comparison: Colin Wilson -- a top 9 player that brings offense and good vision, with size, but can battle inconsistency.

68. Buffalo: Alexey Toropchenko, RW
They take a risk on the big Russian tank. After hoarding many picks the past few years, they can afford to take these type of risks.
Comparison: Brett Ritchie -- a power winger that can go to the net and score goals.

69. Arizona [from Detroit]: Ian Scott, G
The Coyotes need more goalie depth in their system. He has the good size that fits the modern day goalie, he might have upside.
Comparison: Cam Talbot -- a hard-working goaltender that could take some time in earning a regular starting role.

70. Dallas: Alex Formenton, LW
His lack of production down the stretch is going to knock him down the board. At this spot, though, it might be a decent pickup for his speed alone.
Comparison: Trevor Lewis -- a hard-working, fast forward that's good on the forecheck and plays an uptempo, two-way game.

71. Detroit [from Florida]: Filip Westerlund, D
Not the biggest of defenseman, but this Swedish defender can use his speed to help on the transition.
Comparison: Sami Vatanen -- an undersized, positionally smart defenseman that can be mobile with the puck, likely in a #4-6 defenseman role.

72. Los Angeles: Sasha Chmelevski, C/RW
A native Californian, he gets picked up by the Kings, who are still intent on building up their forward ranks ahead of taking a goaltender.
Comparison: Jake Guentzel -- a smart, scoring forward that still needs to work on various areas, including consistency.

73. Carolina: Eemeli Rasanen, D
Keeping in line with their run on Finns, they take the gigantic, 6'7" defender, hoping he can turn into something, even in a depth role. The size would be too much to pass on.
Comparison: Nikita Tryamkin -- huge defenseman with decent mobility that can play physical and also owns a big shot.

74. Winnipeg: Nick Henry, RW
Winnipeg likes to take local players. He's expected to go right around this area.
Comparison: Chris Kunitz -- he could become a versatile, complementary winger with a compact base that can aide in a depth role.

75. Philadelphia: Cameron Crotty, D
A 6'3" right-shooting defenseman that can skate and move the puck? They're be surprise to see him still here, dropping only because he plays in a lesser league. There's no way he falls out of the top 80.
Comparison: Marco Scandella -- plays with a combination of size, skating and defensive presence.

76. Tampa Bay: Reilly Walsh, D
Needs a lot of work with his defense. Tampa takes the chance on him, feeling he has offensive potential from the blueline.
Comparison: Brandon Montour -- if things turn out correctly, he could be a highly offensive defenseman that moves well.

77. New York Islanders: Lukas Elvenes, RW
Owning a lot of skill and potential, he'd be a nice selection to add to their winger depth for the Islanders.
Comparison: David Perron -- probably not a top line guy, but someone that adds skill in a depth role.

78. Arizona [from Calgary]: Dylan Samberg, D
They add a big defender to keep their blueline steady. They'll hope he can develop into something useful.
Comparison: Michael Stone -- mobile defender with size that can lay on the body, skate and play well enough at both ends of the ice. Should be a nice project.

79. Detroit [from Toronto]: Cayden Primeau, G
His father, Keith, was drafted by the Wings. It's both a great gesture and a pick for the future, with the Wings needing goalie depth.
Comparison: Martin Jones -- big goaltending project that has a lot of upside and projects nicely.

80. Philadelphia [from Boston]: Adam Ruzicka, C/RW
Taking the chance on the big kid that's suffered through consistency and interest issues, they hope he can find his game and put it all together.
Comparison: Somewhere between a Mikhail Grigorenko or an Artem Anisimov.

81. New Jersey [from San Jose]: Morgan Geekie, C/RW
After dropping out of the top 80, the first overager is taken by the Devils. He had a breakthrough season this year, which is still good enough to get him taken in the third round.
Comparison: Carl Soderberg -- he'd probably turn into a competitive, skilled third liner with some good smarts and positioning.

82. Edmonton [from St. Louis]: Ian Mitchell, D
The Oilers know how important it is to keep a well-stocked unit of right-handed defenseman more than anyone. Plus he's from Alberta, making him more desirable.
Comparison: Andy Greene -- he's the type of shorter defenseman that plays a more stay-at-home, positionally sound type of game, focusing to maintain his play in his own end.

83. Detroit [from New York Rangers]: Alexandre Texier, C
The Red Wings take the risk with the French phenom. Can his style of play convert well against harder competition? It remains to be seen.
Comparison: Frans Nielsen -- fast, smart two-way center that can make plays and add offense, at his top end.

84. Edmonton: Lane Zablocki, RW
Another Alberta-born boy to the Oilers. He plays a hard-nosed game, something that would come across well now that the Oilers are capable of making the playoffs.
Comparison: Antoine Rousel -- he's a battler that'll hit hard, do all the rough and tumble things and excel as a bottom 6 type of checker.

85. Minnesota: Stuart Skinner, G
The Wild need a goaltender of the future. Skinner's been a "known" prospect for quite some time. They hope he can make something of himself.
Comparison: Kari Lehtonen -- big goaltender with consistency issues and with starter upside that can come up big when needed.

86. Columbus: Jake Leschyshyn, C
They'll want to add another boost to their center depth. They'll hope his leg injury is fully healed because, if not, it could impact his speed, which is what his game revolves around.
Comparison: Cody Eakin -- plays a pesky, speedy style of game and can be a tight forechecker.

87. Montreal: Santerri Virtanen, C/RW
He was injured for most of the year, which drops him down the board. That said, when he returned, he played really well and looked quite good at the U18 tournament. Could be a nice project for them.
Comparison: Jori Lehtera -- it's possible he could make it in a top 9 role. He has playmaking skill and smarts. It's just as long as he remains uninjured.

88. Detroit [from Chicago]: Luke Martin, D
Playing for Michigan definitely gets him noticed. He'd add another element of size to the Red Wings, playing mostly a physical style.
Comparison: Brenden Dillon -- tall and physical style of defenseman that could be stabilizing in a depth role.

89. Buffalo [from Washington]: Ivan Chekhovich, LW
They go with their second Russian for this round. I think he has 2nd round potential -- just that he is shorter in size, along with the Russian factor, which causes him to drop. It'll definitely give them more offense on the wings.
Comparison: Jiri Hudler -- highly skilled with really good hands and vision.

90. Chicago [from Ottawa]: Liam Hawel, C
They take the big risk on the big center. Standing at 6'5", it's worth a shot for the Blackhawks, who also seem to have plenty of picks despite always finishing near the top of the standings.
Comparison: Joe Colborne -- tall, lanky playmaking center that'll be a project.

91. Anaheim: Kirill Ustimenko, G
Anaheim needs more depth in goal. Ustimenko looked really good at the under-18 tournament and in other tournaments. Like all goalie picks, it's a shot in the dark, although there's a lot to like.
Comparison: Petr Mrazek -- has the projectable size and ability of the modern day goalie. Will he come over and put up the same numbers?

92. Nashville: Macauley Carson, LW
Scouts could definitely like his energetic style of play. I think he turns into a decent role player at the top level.
Comparison: Michael Ferland -- an energy player type that'll crash and bang and fit in on several roles and lines.

93. Pittsburgh:[/b] Dmitri Samorukov, D
The Russian factor drops him a little, like some other Russian guys. However, there's a lot to like about him and definitely has pro potential.
Comparison: Luca Sbisa -- can hit, shoot the puck and plays an all-around type of game.

:: ROUND 4 ::

94. Colorado: Zach Gallant, C
The Avs would like his pro-potential. If he's even still here, they'd have to be all over him.
Comparison: Zack Smith meets Manny Malhotra. I think he can be a versatile power forward that can also be a solid faceoff guy.

95. Vancouver: Mason Shaw, C
Despite his high level of talent, his lack of size drops him into the 4th round.
Comparison: Nicolas Petan -- lots of playmaking ability... just comes in such a smaller body. A huge project.

96. Vegas: Jack Studnicka, C
He's a very projectable center, even if it's only as a depth role. Vegas needs bodies, so they'd grab him.
Comparison: Matt Stajan -- plays a safe game, wins faceoffs, provides two-way play.

97. Minnesota [from Arizona]: Michael Anderson, D
A Minny-born prospect that focuses on a defensive, stay-at-home type of game. It keeps their defense strong.
Comparison: Brandon Manning -- a physical depth defender.

98. New Jersey: Tyler Steenbergen, LW/RW
As an overager, he's a little closer to stepping foot into the pros. Plus, the Devils would enjoy someone that could put the puck in the net.
Comparison: Kris Versteeg -- not the biggest of players, a depth scoring type.

99. Buffalo: Stephen Dhilon, G
Overagers go back-to-back, with the Sabres needing some goalie depth. He's from the Buffalo area, too; so it makes an even better pick.
Comparison: Frederik Andersen -- a tall goalie that sees a lot of shots and is used to facing a flurry of activity.

100. Detroit: Nathan Schnarr, C
It'll give them a sizeable, rangy center down the middle. Something all teams would like to have. Needs to work on consistency.
Comparison: Eric Fehr -- a shoot-first type of "big" center.

101. Dallas: Sebastian Walfridsson, D
It's a little off-the-board, he plays a safe, calm, cool and collected type of game for the Swedes. Give him some time and let's see how he turns out.
Comparison: Calvin de Haan -- likely a depth defender that can move the puck along and play a safe situational type of game.

102. New York Rangers [from Florida]: Artyom Minulin, D
Not the greatest of skaters, but it's a right-handed shooting defenseman that has offensive ability. A pure depth pickup.
Comparison: Cody Franson, who doesn't have the best skating ability, but can shoot the puck and play a mainly sizeable offensive role.

103. Los Angeles: Dayton Rasmussen, G
The Kings finally focus on their goalie issues. They nab one of the better goalies that are still on the board.
Comparison: Ryan Miller -- tall and lanky with good strength, as seen at the combine. Might have some upside.

104. Carolina: Jonas Rondbjerg, RW
Maybe he can become a productive winger. Seems like a good area for him to go.
Comparison: Jannik Hansen -- skates really well and can play a two-way game off the wing, with decent size.

105. Winnipeg: Noel Hoefenmayer, D
Probably the best defender on the board at this point. Has some upside, but also has some holes in hi game he needs to work on.
Comparison: Dennis Wideman -- brings mainly offense, with some lapses in defense and skating.

106. Philadelphia: Bryce Misley, C
He played in a lesser league last season but I believe is going the NCAA route next year. He has formidable size, too; it's a gamble for them.
Comparison: Nic Dowd -- a center with good size and some skill. It's a reach, but worth it if he develops.

107. Philadelphia [from Tampa Bay]: Zach Solow, LW/RW
They like drafting out of the American collegiate system. He's a guy that's feisty, albeit undersized, fitting their drafting mould.
Comparison: Sort of like John-Gabriel Pageau, he's feisty, undersized and owns some two-way skill.

108. Philadelphia [from New York Rangers]: Matt Villalta, G
He might have some potential. When he was given a chance, he looked pretty good and seems to be a riser in the goalie rankings.
Comparison: Jimmy Howard -- owns decent size and might contend for a starting job.

109. Calgary: Kyle Olson, RW/C
It'll give them an extremely smart, analytics-darling type of forward. Even if he doesn't have the best size, there's a lot of other things to like about the way he plays.
Comparison: Ryan Spooner or Matt Calvert type -- a two-way, playmaking center/winger that plays with some aggression.

110. Toronto: Gustav Lindstrom, D
Toronto has been pretty kind to Swedish players. They'd like to keep building their defense and he puts up good numbers.
Comparison: Jason Demers -- for me, I see him becoming an unheralded, safe, puck-moving type that can do a bit of everything.

111. Boston: Benjamin Mirageas, D
The Bruins are another team that like to take local players. In this case, they go with the smooth two-way defender.
Comparison: Matt Irwin -- maybe not a top guy; think more of a safe bottom pairing type that can keep the puck moving and bring it out of danger.

112: Vancouver [from San Jose]: Dylan Ferguson, G
Goalies keep jumping off the board in the 4th, with Vancouver taking a local kid to help boost their goalie depth. He may have untapped potential.
Comparison: Brian Elliott -- strong-willed goaltender with decent size and stats. Think of him as a longterm project.

113. St. Louis: Kasper Kotkansalo, D
To be sure that they retain strong defensive depth, they take the big, strong Finnish defender who could see himself in a depth role in the future.
Comparison: Danny Dekeyser -- big defenseman that does a little bit of everything. He'd probably make a nice 4-7 guy on a depth chart.

114. Colorado [from New York Rangers]: Fabian Zetterlund, LW/RW
The Avs don't have a glut of goal scorers in their depth pool. They hope he can remedy that.
Comparison: Craig Smith -- someone that can play in a depth role and put many shots on the net.

115. Edmonton: Jesse Kosenkorva, RW/C
The Oilers feel pretty safe when selecting Finns. This time, they take the smart, two-way player who might have an NHL career in him, maybe as a depth role.
Comparison: Daniel Winnik -- a guy that can do a little bit of everything and excels as a role player.

116. Minnesota: Clayton Phillips, D
The Wild have no problem going back to their home state and taking one of their own in Clayton Phillips. He's probably underrated and has no trouble with moving the puck or adding offense from the back.
Comparison: John-Michael Liles -- also an American defenseman that skates tremendously, makes plays with the ouck and can move it up ice.

117. Columbus: Tim Soderlund, LW/RW
The Blue Jackets think/hope they've found the next Viktor Arvidsson. They don't fear the fact he's undersized, either.
Comparison: Viktor Arvidsson -- an overager that also went undrafted in his original draft year. He plays with reckless abandon and can add offense.

118. Los Angeles [from Montreal]: Brannon McManus, LW
A former Jr. King, he'd be a great fit with the big league club. Give him some developmental time and let's see how he pans out.
Comparison: Connor Brown -- a depth scoring winger that likely comes in as a 2nd/3rd line scoring threat.

119. Chicago: Tyler Inamoto, D
The Blackhawks love their local guys. They hope he can come in around 4-to-5 years and be a punishing force on their backend.
Comparison: Adam McQuaid -- tall, physical defenseman that'll play a depth role by leaning on opponents.

120. Washington: Jarrett Tyszka, D
For their very first pick in the draft, the Capitals grab the falling defenseman. He's sort of a master of none, resulting in teams bypassing him. His size is too good for him to fall any further.
Comparison: Kyle Quincey -- with big size, he can skate quite well up and down the ice, but doesn't truly excel in any one area, in my opinion.

121. Ottawa: Emil Bemstrom, LW
They've liked their Swedish players in the past. He could be a surprising breakthrough player in a few years, if only for his speed.
Comparison: Tobias Reider -- a depth two-way player that plays with amazing speed, which could help him put up points and play a two-way game.

122. Anaheim: Michael Pastujov, LW
An American forward that can grind it out, put up some points and could be a role player option. He should get drafted higher than his brother did last year. The Ducks seem like a good home for him.
Comparison: Jordan Martinook -- think of a role player type, doing whatever he can to contribute, via hitting, scoring, blocking shots, etc..

123. New Jersey [from Nashville]: Austen Keating, LW/C
The Devils hope he could at least become a depth scoring option. It's worth a shot here in the bottom of the 4th.
Comparison: Reilly Smith -- not an overly impressive scoring forward, just a guy that does what he does and puts up points.

124. Toronto [from Pittsburgh]: Igor Shyvrov, C
They've liked Russian players before. Plus it gives them depth down the middle. They're hoping for a steal here, who knows how it'll play out in the end.
Comparison: Tyler Bozak -- similar to their own player, in Russia, he's shown good skill and two-way play. Definitely worthy of a pick.

:: ROUND 5 ::

At this point, to finish off, I'll just do the picks without a write-up. A full summary to follow.

125. Colorado: Olle Eriksson-Ek, G
126. Edmonton [from Vancouver]: Jordy Bellerive, C
127. Vegas: Ty Lewis, LW
128. Arizona: Ryan Peckford, C
129. New Jersey: Alex D'Orio, G
130. St. Louis [from Buffalo]: Joel Teasdale, LW
131. Detroit: Tommy Miller, D
132. Dallas: Marian Studenic, RW/C
133. Florida: Jakub Galvas, D
134. Los Angeles: Linus Olund, LW
135. Chicago [from Carolina]: Denis Smirnov, LW
136. Winnipeg: Rickard Hugg, LW/C
137. Philadelphia: Maxime Fortier, RW
138. Los Angeles [from Tampa Bay]: Patrick Khodorenko, RW/C
139. New York Islanders: Emil Oksanen, RW
140. Calgary: Pavel Koltygin, LW/RW
141. Toronto: Jordan Hollett, G
142. Carolina [from Boston]: Isaac Johnson, RW
143. San Jose: Brady Lyle, D
144. Chicago [from St. Louis]: Nate Knoepke, D
145. New York Rangers: Linus Nyman, LW/RW
146. Edmonton: Ivan Kosorenkov, RW
147. Minnesota: Jacob Tortora, LW
148. Columbus: Jack Dugan, LW
149. Montreal: Antoine Crete-Belzile, D
150. Chicago: Brenden de Jong, D
151. Washington: Alexandre Polunin, RW
152. Pittsburgh [from Ottawa]: Kalle Miketinac, C
153. Anaheim: Ben Jones, C
154. Nashville: Shawn Boudrias, LW
155. Pittsburgh: Drake Rymsha, C

:: ROUND 6 ::

156. Colorado: Jake McGrath, G
157. New York Rangers [from Vancouver]: Jonathan Smart, D
158. Vegas: Calle Sjallin, D
159. San Jose [from Arizona]: Patrik Hrehorcak, LW
160. New Jersey: Scooter Brickey, D
161. Buffalo: Andrei Altybarmakyan, LW
162. Detroit: Kyle Keyser, G
163. Dallas: Tomas Vomacka, G
164. Detroit [from Florida]: Jocktan Chainey, D
165. Los Angeles: Sami Moilanen, RW
166. Carolina: Sam Huff, LW
167. Winnipeg: Mark Rubinchik, D
168. Philadelphia: Kirill Maksimov, LW/RW
169. Tampa Bay: Logan Cockerill, RW
170. Chicago [from New York Islanders]: Greg Meireles, LW/C
171. Calgary: Daniil Tarasov, G
172. Toronto: Radim Salda, D
173. Boston: Nick Campoli, C
174. San Jose: Finn Evans, RW
175. St. Louis: Kirill Slepets, LW/RW
176. Nashville [from New York Rangers]: David Kvasnicka, D
177. Edmonton: Cole Guttman, RW/LW
178. Minnesota: Kale Howarth, LW
179. Columbus: D'Artagnan Joly, RW
180. Tampa Bay [from Montreal]: Adam Brizgala, G
181. Chicago: Dylan Plouffe, D
182. Washington: Mick Messner, RW
183. Ottawa: Daniil Skorikov, RW
184. Anaheim: Kevin Hancock, C
185. New Jersey [from Nashville]: Adam Thilander, D
186. Pittsburgh: Linus Weissbach, LW

:: ROUND 7 ::

187. Colorado: Venjamin Baranov, D
188. Vancouver: Skyler McKenzie, RW
189. Vegas: Zach Lauzon, D
190. Arizona: Nick Leivermann, D
191. New Jersey: Jacob Paquette, D
192. Buffalo: David Noel, D
193. Detroit: Luke Boka, RW
194. Dallas: Noah Cates, LW
195. Boston [from Florida]: Alexandre Volkov, RW
196. Philadelphia [from Los Angeles]: Marcus Sylvegard, RW
197. Carolina: Jan Drozg, LW
198. Winnipeg: Kaden Fulcher, G
199. Philadelphia: John St. Ivany, D
200. Tampa Bay: Igor Marynov, C
201. New York Islanders: Noah Gankse, D
202. Calgary: Griffin Mendel, D
203. Toronto: Dylan Coghlan, D
204. Boston: Corey Andonovski, C
205. San Jose: Brett Davis, RW
206. St. Louis: Josef Korenar, G
207. New York Rangers: Adam Ahman, G
208. Edmonton: Brayden Gorda, D
209. Minnesota: Jake Begley, G
210. Columbus: Robbie Stucker, D
211. Winnipeg [from Montreal]: Tobias Geisser, D
212. San Jose [from Chicago]: Cole Coskey, RW
213. Washington: Jonatan Asplund, D
214. San Jose [from Ottawa]: Juho Korhonen, D
215. Chicago [from Anaheim: Sean Dhooge, C
216. Nashville: Dereck Baribeau, G
217. Pittsburgh: Jakub Lacka, LW

SUMMARY:

Anaheim:
50. Matt Strome, LW
60. Robin Salo, D
91. Kirill Ustimenko, G
122. Michael Pastujov, LW
153. Ben Jones, C
184. Kevin Hancock, C

Arizona:
7. Casey Mittelstadt, C/LW
23. Callan Foote, D
35. Henri Jokiharju, D
69. Ian Scott, G
78. Dylan Samberg, D
128. Ryan Peckford, C
190. Nick Leivermann, D

Boston:
18. Eeli Tolvanen, LW/RW
53. Maxime Comtois, LW/C
111. Benjamin Mirageas, D
173. Nick Campoli, C
195. Alexandre Volkov, RW
204. Corey Andonovski, C

Buffalo:
8. Cale Makar, D
37. Shane Bowers, C
54. David Farrance, D
68. Alexey Toropchenko, RW
89. Ivan Chekhovich, RW
99. Stephen Dhilon, G
161. Andrei Altybarmakyan, LW
192. David Noel, D

Calgary:
16. Nick Suzuki, C/RW
109. Kyle Olson, RW/C
140. Pavel Koltygin, LW/RW
171. Daniil Tarasov, G
202. Griffin Mendel, D

Carolina:
12. Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW
42. Ostap Safin, RW/C
52. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G
62. Jack Rathbone, D
67. Scott Reedy, C/RW
73. Eemeli Rasanen, D
104. Jonas Rondbjerg, RW
142. Isaac Johnson, RW
166. Sam Huff, LW
197. Jan Drozg, LW

Chicago:
26. Ryan Poehling, C
57. Maksim Zhukov, G
90. Liam Hawel, C
119. Tyler Inamoto, D
135. Denis Smirnov, LW
144. Nate Knoepke, D
150. Brenden de Jong, D
170. Greg Meireles, LW/C
181. Dylan Plouffe, D
215. Sean Dhooge, C

Colorado:
4. Gabriel Vilardi, C/RW
32. Jaret Anderson-Dolan, C
94. Zach Gallant, C
114. Fabian Zetterlund, LW/RW
125. Olle Eriksson-Ek, G
156. Jake McGrath, G
187. Venjamin Baranov, D

Columbus:
24. Josh Norris, C
86. Jake Leschyshyn, C
117. Tim Soderlund, LW/RW
148. Jack Dugan, LW
179. D'Artagnan Joly, RW
210. Robbie Stucker, D

Dallas:
3. Miro Heiskanen, D
29. Kailer Yamamoto, RW
39. Michael Dipietro, G
70. Alex Formenton, LW
101. Sebastian Walfridsson, D
132. Marian Studenic, RW/C
163. Tomas Vomacka, G
194. Noah Cates, LW

Detroit:
9. Martin Necas, C
38. Ivan Lodnia, RW
71. Filip Westerlund, D
79. Cayden Primeau, G
83. Alexandre Texier, C
88. Luke Martin, D
100. Nathan Schnarr, C
131. Tommy Miller, D
162. Kyle Keyser, G
164. Jocktan Chainey, D
193. Luke Boka, RW

Edmonton:
22. Isaac Ratclffe, LW
82. Ian Mitchell, D
84. Lane Zablocki, RW
115. Jesse Kosenkorva, RW/C
126. Jordy Bellerive, C
146. Ivan Kosorenkov, RW
177. Cole Guttman, RW/LW
208. Brayden Gorda, D

Florida:
10. Owen Tippett, RW
40. Keith Petruzzelli, G
66. Antoine Morand, RW/C
133. Jakub Galvas, D

Los Angeles:
11. Michael Rasmussen, C/LW
41. Joni Ikonen, C/RW
72. Sasha Chmelevski, RW/C
103. Dayton Rasmussen, G
118. Brannon McManus, LW
134. Linus Olund, LW
138. Patrick Khodorenko, RW/C
165. Sami Moilanen, RW

Minnesota:
85. Stuart Skinner, G
97. Michael Anderson, D
116. Clayton Phillips, D
147. Jacob Tortora, LW
178. Kale Howarth, LW
209. Jake Begley, G

Montreal:
25. Filip Chytil, C/LW
56. Aleksi Heponiemi, C
58. Max Gildon, D
87. Santerri Virtanen, C/RW
149. Antoine Crete-Belzile, D

Nashville:
30. Klim Kostin, RW
61. Marcus Davidsson, LW/C
92. Macauley Carson, LW
154. Shawn Boudrias, LW
176. David Kvasnicka, D
216. Dereck Baribeau, G

New Jersey:
1. Nico Hischier, C
36. Josh Brook, D
49. Jesper Boqvist, LW/C
63. Mario Ferraro, D
81. Morgan Geekie, C/RW
98. Tyler Steenbergen, LW/RW
123. Austen Keating, LW/C
129. Alex D'Orio, G
160. Scooter Brickey, D
185. Adam Thilander, D
191. Jacob Paquette, D

New York Islanders:
15. Nicolas Hague, D
46. Mackenzie Entwhistl, C/RW
77. Lukas Elvenes, RW
139. Emil Oksanen, RW
201. Noah Gankse, D

New York Rangers:
21. Erik Brannstrom, D
102. Artyom Minulin, D
145. Linus Nyman, LW/RW
157. Jonathan Smart, D
207. Adam Ahman, G

Ottawa:
28. Jake Oettinger, G
47. Kole Lind, RW
121. Emil Bemstron, D
183. Daniil Skorikov, RW

Philadelphia:
2. Nolan Patrick, C
44. Evan Barratt, C
75. Cameron Crotty, D
80. Adam Ruzicka, C/RW
106. Bryce Misley, C
107. Zach Solow, LW
137. Maxime Fortier, RW
168. Kirill Maksimov, LW/RW
196. Marcus Sylvegard, RW
199. John St. Ivany, D

Pittsburgh:
31. Urho Vaakanainen, D
93. Dmitri Samorukov, D
152. Kalle Miketinac, C
155. Drake Rymsha, C
186. Linus Weissbach, LW
217. Jakub Lacka, LW

San Jose:
19. Lias Andersson, LW/C
143. Brady Lyle, D
159. Patrik Hrehorcak, LW
174. Finn Evans, RW
205. Brett Davis, RW
212. Cole Coskey, RW
214. Juho Korhonen, D

St. Louis:
20. Robert Thomas, C
27. Jason Robertson, LW/RW
51. Grant Mismash, LW
113. Kasper Kotkansalo, D
130. Joel Teasdale, LW
175. Kirill Slepets, LW/RW
206. Josef Korenar, G

Tampa Bay:
14. Juuso Valimaki, D
45. Alexei Lipanov, C
48. Cale Fleury, D
76. Reilly Walsh, D
169. Logan Cockerill, RW
180. Adam Brizgala, G
200. Igor Marynov, C

Toronto:
17. Conor Timmins, D
59. Jonah Gadjovich, LW
110. Gustav Lindstrom, D
124. Igor Shyvrov, C
141. Jordan Hollett, G
172. Radim Salda, D
203. Dylan Coghlan, D

Vancouver:
5. Cody Glass, C
33. Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D
55. Nikita Popugaev, RW
64. Scott Walford, D
95. Mason Shaw, C
112. Dylan Ferguson, G
188. Skyler McKenzie, RW

Vegas:
6. Elias Pettersson, C
34. Stelio Mattheos, RW/C
65. Markus Phillips, D
96. Jack Studnicka, C
127. Ty Lewis, LW
158. Calle Sjallin, D
189. Zach Lauzon, D

Washington:
120. Jarrett Tyszka, D
151. Alexandre Polunin, RW
182. Mick Messner, RW
213. Jonatan Asplund, D

Winnipeg:
13. Timothy Liljegren, D
43. Morgan Frost, C
74. Nick Henry, RW
105. Noel Hoefenmayer, D
136. Rickard Hugg, LW/C
167. Mark Rubinchik, D
198. Kaden Fulcher, G
211. Tobias Geisser, D

Last edited:

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Woah great job man!

Not a huge fan of Chytil in the first for Habs, but Heponiemi and Gildon in the second would rock.

We have the exact same top 10 in our mocks, except that I have Makar 7th and Mittelstadt 8th!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I don't like Foote, but I love Jokiharju. So mentally pretending Jokiharju went 1st and Foote fell to us in the 2nd makes me feel great about it. Haha.

There's a good chance Foote will be a very solid shutdown 3D, but I just don't like drafting any D with skating issues and questions on whether his offense translates as a pro in the first. So yeah, that's what I did too, haha. I don't anticipate Jokiharju sticking around to 35 given that he came in bigger than expected at the Combine.

If it were me with this board I would have taken Jokiharju at 23 and Ikonen at 35. Then Formenton at 69 and Skinner/Primeau at 78. But overall, I can't really complain.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I probably would've gone Mittelstadt, Jokiharju, Lodnia, Henry and Geekie. I'm with you, couldn't complain with the OP. The idea of a Chychrun/Foote 2nd pair does not suck.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Awesome work man, really put your time into it. Kudos.

I'm happy with the Habs haul.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Nice work. Very nice to see Coskey in a ranking, but I hope he goes earlier as I feel he has more potential. Also Gilmour with 26 goals I hope gets an invite at least somewhere. Too bad for both players as they are hurt by a weak team in their draft year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I'm pro-Nico at #1.

In this mock with the players still on the board I'd go this way for the NJD (up through 81)

36. Jesper Boqvist, LW/C
49. David Farrance, D
63. Markus Phillips, D
81. Alexandre Texier, C

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see a full 7 round mock done. Pleased with it as an Ottawa fan.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Solid work. Personally wouldn't mind Rasmussen as a King's fan. With that stated I doubt it happens and especially for the reason you wrote. Kings lack high end prospects not guys who will play in the NHL. I feel they go with a high risk/reward type piece with high potential.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Very Good job... You guarantee Lind in R2 and I'm ok taking Oettinger in R1. :)

That said,,, I'd be very ok with Jokiharju in R1 and Comtois in R2 as well

NylanderBros

Jun 22, 2014
Sudbury, Ont
This is insane man. Great work, as a Leafs fan this would be so painful to watch, Hague or Suzuki are my guys, if not hopefully Foote who can play right side and eat minutes.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree on pretty much most things great list.

Only thing that stands out is this.

74. Winnipeg: Nick Henry, RW
Winnipeg likes to take local players. He's expected to go right around this area.
Comparison: Chris Kunitz -- he could become a versatile, complementary winger with a compact base that can aide in a depth role.

They actually very rarely take local guys. They've only ever drafted two guys from Manitoba Jordy Stallard and Jason Kasdorf.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Like the first two picks for the Pens. Won't pretend I can find much about the others, but would point to Pittsburgh not taking many European based forwards as a rule and having a bias toward College-bound players in the later rounds - don't feel like that's reflected here.

Hussar

Talented.
Mar 30, 2004
Paradise
FYI Ducks sixth rd pick belongs to FLA

I like the picks for Anaheim, just want to make sure we take Chmelevski before LA does.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Agree on pretty much most things great list.

Only thing that stands out is this.

They actually very rarely take local guys. They've only ever drafted two guys from Manitoba Jordy Stallard and Jason Kasdorf.
That stood out for me too. I also don't see us taking Liljegren with Valimaki still on the board. Valimaki fills an organizational need at LHD, and could probably play in the nhl in 18/19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad