NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension Mock Draft for Spring 2022

newdimension

May 18, 2013
This is my mock for Spring 2022. I may do one more during the playoffs; or I may wait until when the draft is closer, which would be a full 7 round mock.

NOTES:

- The draft order cut-off date is based on points as of Friday, April 8th. It's also a post-playoffs format, including divisional winners, conference finalists and Stanley Cup finalists at the bottom of each round. Since it's spring, I'm going to do 5 rounds total. I'll finish with a full 7 round mock sometime before the actual draft.

- It seems like a year in which divisional winners will probably advance pretty far in the playoffs. Therefore, in the East, I'm predicting Florida over Tampa Bay; meanwhile, in the West, I'm going with a surprising Minnesota team to go over Calgary in the Conference Finals. As for the Stanley Cup Finals itself, I'm predicting Florida goes over Minnesota to win it all.

- Obviously, comparisons aren't always going to be 100%. Not everyone is going to go on be the exact same as the person they're compared to; nor would I expect any of them to have the same type of career. However, when GMs are drafting, they're hoping to hit on 100% of their selections, even if the chances of that are not at all likely.

- There'll be a per-team summary at the end for the "tl,dr" crew.

- Ignore any typos, errors, etc.. Especially in the latter parts, where I noticed I had made a mistake in who I had drafted more than once and had to go back to edit, change things, paste and so on, which then affected other picks I had made. If things get a little murky, blame that.

- As for the lottery, my winners, via tankathon:

1. Philadelphia; 2. Montreal.

---

Round 1

1. Philadelphia:
Shane Wright, C

Even with guys nipping at his tail, Shane Wright remains the top player in the 2022 draft. If the Flyers get the pick, they'd grab Wright, giving them an immediate boost down the middle. Since the calendar turned to the year 2022, he's shown an improvement in production that has halted some concerns, prompting the Flyers to happily add him to further their rebuild now that they've traded away Claude Giroux, filling a serious need for centers.

Comparison: Elias Lindholm/Logan Couture. Wright has the ability to be a 30+ goal, 30+ assist, all-around center that does everything well. He's the type of player that won't really stand out with flashy skill; instead using his great positioning, playmaking, high hockey IQ and solid playmaking and shooting ability in order to produce. He's the type of player that helps you win championships.

2. Montreal: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW

After being named the MVP of the Olympics, Slafkovsky has rocketed to the top of draft lists, with the Habs excitedly taking him here in their hometown. He's followed his Olympic production over to league play in Finland, reinforcing the belief he could be a top player from the draft. They see a future line where he complements Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield, using his size and skill to help produce. In fact, if the Habs win the first overall selection, I could certainly see a scenario where he's their pick.

Comparison: Blake Wheeler/Anders Lee type of hybrid player. While I don't know if he'll ever see the career highs in points that Wheeler did, he could be someone that hits 65-70+ with good linemates. He's got the potential to be a skilled, possession-driving power winger that can come off the wall and provide offense, while also being a beast in the corners and in front of the net, plowing over competition.

3. Arizona: Logan Cooley, C

With Arizona's need for centers, Cooley is perfect for them at third overall. If he were any taller, he'd probably be able to overtake Shane Wright as the top player in the draft. Alas, he stands only 5'10", which allows another non-lottery team to take a chance on him. With 3 first rounders, they can swing on the best player available for their first pick and then build from there.

Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen/Jaden Schwartz, but a center version of them. Not a big guy, he's a high-compete, two-way center with dynamic speed, versatility and play-driving transition ability that should allow him to be a threat on both the powerplay, penalty kill and 5-on-5.

4. Seattle: Simon Nemec, D

The Kraken are a team that's heavily driven by analytics and have a wealth of talent dedicated to their European scouting. Nemec makes sense for them here, especially with his play this year. Last year, they got a top 6 center, now they aim for a defenseman by taking Nemec. Even though he didn't have as great of a showing at the Olympics as Juraj Slafkovsky, it's still impressive that he made the team.

Comparison: Andrei Markov. Nemec's ability to add offense with his passing and transition skill is top notch. He can analyze offensive situations and use this to keep the puck in momentum, allowing him to play an all-around game with sound decision making. Like Markov, he isn't an elite skater, nor does he possess a huge shot or immense defensive play, instead making up for it with his hockey IQ and vision.

5. New Jersey: David Jiricek, D

Jiricek's still injured and has been since the World Juniors, so he hasn't had the chance to prove his merit. However, if he was currently playing, it's likely he could have put himself in the position to be a top pick. The good news is that he's been named to the Czech national team, where he could get in some games and demonstrate his worth. He could become the perfect partner for Luke Hughes.

Comparison: He's kind of a Moritz Seider/Mikhail Sergachev type. Depending on how his return and progress from his knee injury, he could find himself drafted early. Jiricek's a very active mobile defenseman that's big in size, who also has a mean streak and an added offensive flair in his game, thanks to his bomb of a point shot. He's stellar at shutting down play and declining offensive zone entries, as well.

6. Ottawa: Conor Geekie, C

In my mind, it'll come down to Conor Geekie or Joakim Kemell for the Senators pick. With Geekie being a 6'4"/6'5" kid coming from the WHL and Kemell being on the smaller side, my inclination is that Ottawa would lean in Geekie's direction, especially with their pressing need for center, along with their love of size. They're a team that bets on size and they take a swing on Geekie within the top 5, even if I, personally, wouldn't do it.

Comparison: Ryan Johansen. Finding a perfect comparable for Geekie is hard. He's big, he's got good skill, yet he battles inconsistency. He may be more of a 2nd line center that can help with offense. Either way, he goes through hot and cold spurts and has a lot of work to do on his skating. He'll be a project for sure, but he does have a high ceiling.

7. Columbus [from Chicago]: Frank Nazar, RW

The Blue Jackets's motto is all about finding the right guy, not necessarily the best guy. In this case, Frank Nazar could really be of interest. He'll be going to the University of Michigan, ala Kent Johnson, and they could really like that and love his overall offensive upside, thinking he'd go great alongside either Johnson or Cole Sillinger.

Comparison: Clayton Keller. Nazar's a tenacious, all-out offensive forward with excellent hands and tantalizing skill. He may not be the biggest, making up for it with his wiry play and vision.

8. Buffalo: Matthew Savoie, RW/C

With their first selection, the Sabres could be interested in taking the best player left on the board. There's ample reason to believe that Savoie could be that guy. It'd give the Sabres more speed and skill upfront, which seems like something they'd be interested in, given they're current push towards analytics. The only thing holding him back would be his lack of size, which could push him down the board and have him taken later than where he deserves to go.

Comparison: Something between a Kirill Kaprizov and Matt Duchene, with probably an inkling towards the latter. Vastly undersized, yet sturdly built thanks to a strong lower base, Savoie has one of the highest offensive ceilings in the draft. Concerns over his size and lack of 5-on-5 production and defensive ability may cause him to drop out of the top 10, which is great for whatever team that drafts him.

9. Detroit: Marco Kasper, C

For now, I'll go wild with a kind of off-the-board pick for Detroit. The Rogle path he's taking is surely something they're quite familiar with and probably love. They put a lot of trust in their European scouting and if Hakan Andersson gives him a thumbs up, they may just jump on him, either via a trade back scenario or just straight up select him right here at 9th overall, with their need for centers being tantamount.

Comparison: Phillip Danault. Kasper's got the size and projectability of a modern day center. He plays a very sound, well-rounded, two-way game with some grit thrown in for good measure. He's someone that'll do all kinds of hard work to help win games.

10. San Jose: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW/LW

The idea of reuniting Lekkerimaki with current Sharks prospect, William Eklund, is too much to pass on. They've been killing it on a line together over in Sweden, thus they hope to keep their chemistry intact, which should help with both of their transition. Plus having another sniper is never a bad idea.

Comparison: Jeff Skinner. Like Skinner, Lekkerimaki's an undersized winger with a deadly threat. He's a quick fire shooter that challenges Joakim Kemell as the best pure sniper in the draft, while also having good skating and playmaking ability.

11. Anaheim: Cutter Gauthier, LW/C

It wouldn't shock me to find Cutter Gauthier in the top 10 come draft day. If not, he could go here. I think he'll have a big rise, much like Mason McTavish last year. Also, much like McTavish, he lands in the lap of the Anaheim Ducks, which seems like a perfect fit. You could either pair him with McTavish to make a punishing duo; or you could pair him with Trevor Zegras to be his triggerman and create some space. Either way, it's a good match.

Comparison: Chris Kreider. Due to his physicality, goal-scoring and speed, Something like a Chris Kreider could be a good comparison. Some have said he is a Tkachuk-like, which is possible. He's someone you could potentially throw into a top six in a complementary role, crashing and banging to create space.

12. Columbus: Pavel Mintyukov, D

They picked 2 forwards with their selections last year. They also picked a forward in Frank Nazar for their first selection this year. It's time they go for D, as they add Mintyukov, who's been propelling himself up draft lists thanks to his play in the OHL. The fear over the Russian factor isn't as intense as it is with him, as he's been playing in North America, so they're more open to picking him in this spot, feeling like he'd be the guy that'd play a similar role to Seth Jones when he was with them.

Comparison: Thomas Chabot. Mintyukov is a hard player to peg down. For me, I kind of have him compared to a Thomas Chabot in that he's an offensive defenseman that loves jumping in to the play and eating up a lot of minutes. That said, there's still areas he needs to work on, especially in terms of defense. Overall, he's got upside as a possible top 3 defenseman for his team.

13. New York Islanders: Joakim Kemell, RW

Kemell could be this year's faller... or he could go in the #9 spot, if a team decides to trade with Detroit. Either way, I'll make things fun and have Kemell land in the Islanders' lap. Of course, things could change if he returns to the form he had at the start of the season when he was on fire and putting up record-breaking numbers, unlike his current post-injury form where he has been less hard on the puck and hasn't been producing.

Comparison: TJ Oshie, with an upside of David Pastrnak. A pure sniper, Kemell's got some added tenacity in his game. Also as a sniper, he's a shot-generating machine, shooting often - and from everywhere - in order to produce.

14. Winnipeg: Denton Mateychuk, D

Even though they have great European scouting, the Jets decide to go local and grab whom they feel is the best player available. This, of course, could be Mateychuk, who, as stated, is Winnipeg born and bred and is seeing his stock rise with his stellar play throughout the season.

Comparison: PK Subban/Devon Toews type of offensive defenseman. Mateychuk's a slick, skilled offensive defenseman that likes to jump into the play, while keeping things calm, smooth and steady. He skates incredibly well, allowing him to keep up with the pace of play and shows some all-around potential.

15. Vancouver: Lian Bichsel, D

Could they trade back and grab him? Maybe. However, since there's no trades in my mocks, I'll have the Canucks straight up selecting the huge Swiss defenseman here. They have a pressing need for defense, especially for a player that can play on the right side, such as Bichsel can do (even though he's a leftie). It might be bit of a reach, but the Canucks have been known to like talent developing with the Leksand team in Sweden.

Comparison: Nicolas Hague. Bichsel is a huge, 6'5" physical beast. He loves laying the body and plowing into competition. There may also be some hidden offensive talent, especially in terms of his big shot from the point, which could allow him to play an all-around role as well as a shutdown.

16. Buffalo [from Vegas]: Ryan Chesley, D

The Sabres are in need of a right-handed defenseman to pair alongside either Rasmus Dahlin or Owen Power. They'd figure Chesley is the perfect partner for them, allowing him to play a more defensive, stay-at-home game, while his partners can play the uptempo offensive game. He feels like the type of defenseman that could go higher than expected due to how translatable he is.

Comparison: Think of him as a Ryan McDonagh/Ryan Pulock-like type of defense. He's got a booming shot, skates really well, physicality and knows how to close gaps and shut close off entries. He's more of a solid complementary type of defenseman that'd go well with a more offensive-leaning guy.

17. Dallas: Brad Lambert, RW/C

The Stars have always shown an affinity for drafting Finns in the past. Why stop now? Lambert is a big swing for the fences for them, with the expectation being that he can meet his overall upside over time. Coming into the year, he was expected to be on pace with Shane Wright for first overall. Unfortunately, it hasn't been an easy or good year for him, hence his drop down the board and into the hands of the Stars.

Comparison: Ales Hemsky. To me, there's a lot of Hemsky to his game. Lambert's a puck-carrier and loves to have it on his stick -- sometimes to a detriment. To add to that, he's got blazing speed and can be a force on transition, weaving around opponents in order to produce and setup plays.

18. Los Angeles: Liam Ohgren, LW

Historically speakiing, the Kings have always valued drafting from Sweden. They could probably add another scoring forward for the future, especially someone that's been tearing up the J20 league over there. Someone such as Ohgren would probably look good flanked alongside Quinton Byfield, thus they target him here, hoping he can at least turn into a well-rounded, middle-six scoring threat.

Comparison: Tyler Bertuzzi. A plug-and-play type of winger that can easily fit onto any line, in any situation. He uses his speed to help with his offense, allowing him to use both his goal scoring and playmaking to put up points. He's someone that has a pretty high floor, even if his upside isn't truly elite.

19. Washington: Danila Yurov, RW

With fears over a new Iron Curtain coming down, it's to be expected that Russian players could see a fall in the draft. Yurov could be the first of those potential players affected off the board, with the Capitals willing to take the risk here, hoping their long tradition of playing and developing Russians can work in their favor. If so, it'd be a huge boost to their forward core, possibly walking away with a huge steal.

Comparison: Pavel Buchnevich. He's a well-rounded forward with lots of versatility in his game. He can be a scorer, a playmaker and even two-way threat, with potential to even slot down the middle, if need be.

20. Nashville: Kevin Korchinski, D

Roman Josi isn't getting any younger. They're eventually going to need a replacement for him, with the Preds hedging their bets on Korchinski becoming that guy. He's had a steady increase in production and it's prompted him to leap up draft boards, with Nashville hoping he can keep developing.

Comparison: Something between a Shea Theodore and Jake Gardiner, with Theodore being his upside. He has a lot of similar traits as a young Theodore, including positioning and defensive issues, but he's got good size, moves the puck with ease and can be counted on an offensive catalyst from the back.

21. Edmonton: Nathan Gaucher, C/RW

With the high contracts of McDavid and Draisaitl, they'll need need players that can contribute on entry-level deals. Nathan Gaucher is that type of player, plus he tends to be the type of player that the Oilers love. They've drafted a fair bit from the Q in recent history; and they definitely love players with some size and meanness in them. He might just be the type of guy they'd love to add.

Comparison: Marcus Foligno. While Gaucher may not be an offensive dynamo, he's the type of power forward that can definitely fill a role at the pro level. He can crash, bang and bully other plays around to force turnovers, while also displaying good two-way, defensive skill.

22. St. Louis: Owen Pickering, D

A few years ago, they won the Cup off the back of their large, mobile defenseman. They try to replicate that and rebuild their blueline by taking Pickering in this spot. Pickering's developing in the WHL and is still quite raw. In a perfect world, they give him a few years and see how well his game has grown.

Comparison: Travis Sanheim. A big, mobile defenseman with two-way skill that can keep pucks in motion, while also having good overall upside. Standing 6'4", he's got good potential, it just depends on if he has the consistency to reach it or not.

23. Pittsburgh: Tristan Luneau, D

Kris Letang's a free agent this summer. They're going to need some more bodies on the backend for the future. Adding someone such as Luneau might be a smart move, especially since they genuinely love drafting heavily from the QMJHL. He came into this season with high expectations that he hasn't met for various reasons, with the Pens giving him a shot here.

Comparison: Matt Niskanen. While Luneau's production hasn't been there this season, there may be concerns over his overall offensive upside... but then again, Gatineau plays a defense-first style, so maybe there's something there. His upside is probably something like a Niskanen, who was a similar defenseman that kept things calm, safe and reliable, but was also capable of putting up some points.

24. Anaheim [from Boston]: Sam Rinzel, D

Coming from high school hockey, the Rinzel pick has a bit of risk to it. That said, after trading away Hampus Lindholm and Josh Manson, they may want to add a few more bodies to their defensive lineup. They've shown a liking towards Americans in the past and the same thing holds true here, with the Ducks adding Rinzel to the right side of their blueline.

Comparison: Alex Edler. Rinzel's a big boy that skates real well. If he hits his upside, he could become a top four defenseman that adds speed, offense, physicality and two-way ability from the back.

25. New York Rangers: Luca del Bel Belluz, C

In need of center prospects, the Rangers take the best center on the board. It could be a good one, too, if De Bel Belluz continues progressing at the rate he's shown. He looks like he could compete for a middle-six spot someday, which would be fine for the Rangers, who have a pretty strong core at every other position.

Comparison: Derek Stepan, with a little more height. Like Stepan, Del Bel Belluz isn't the swiftest skater, so he won't be winning any skating contests. Instead, he brings a competitive, two-way game, along with some good shooting and playmaking skill. He's a well-rounded forward, who could develop into a middle-six center some day.

26. Toronto: Filip Mesar, RW/C

Mesar's fresh off an impressive showing during the Slovakian playoffs. The only reason he could fall into the late first is due to lack of size. If so, it'd be for the Leafs' gain. It'd give them a versatile, Swiss Army Knife type of forward that can play any role, while also having good offensive instincts.

Comparison: Jesper Bratt. Mesar's an undersized Slovakian forward with blazing speed, skill and all-around ability. Thanks to his speed and skill, he can be counted on to provide secondary scoring, while also filling in on any line providing excellent two-way play and gutsiness.

27. Arizona [from Carolina]: Jimmy Snuggerud, RW

After grabbing Logan Cooley earlier with their first pick, they take his U18 linemate, Jimmy Snuggerud, with their next selection. They've shown good chemistry together and they'd love to be able to keep that alive and develop it for the team. Not to mention that Snuggerud's also a big bodied kid, which new GM, Bill Armstrong, tends to lean towards.

Comparison: Brandon Saad. Snuggerud is a sniping goal-scorer with good all-around ability. Despite not being a great skater, he's someone that can work his way into the danger areas and use his shooting skills to put pucks into the net.

28. Arizona [from Colorado]: Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW

Miroshnichenko began the season battling with Shane Wright for the top spot in the draft. Unfortunately, a multitude of issues has plagued him, resulting in him falling. There's the Russian and entire geopolitical factor; there's his inconsistent play this year; there's him getting dropped from the Russian WJC team; and now, there's the fact that he's been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lympoma, which could keep him out for a year. Therefore, with a plethora of picks dispersed throughout the draft, a team such as Arizona could step up and take a swing for the fences with Miro, hoping he can fully recover and become a net positive asset.

Comparison: Evander Kane. He's a speedy, physical and mercurial power winger that loves flinging pucks on the net. He can be a prime goal scorer at his best, while a floater at worst. It remains to be seen just how his health goes from here and how long he will be recovering.

29. Tampa Bay: Jagger Firkus, RW

The Bolts have drafted a lot of kids from the WHL as of late. Firkus could be another kid that catches their eye, especially after the CHL Top Prospects Game in which he was named one of the stars. It certainly helps that he feels like one of the high-upside picks that Tampa loves betting on.

Comparison: Troy Terry. Firkus is 5'10" and approximately 150-160 pounds, so he'll need to put on some weight. Something like Troy Terry is his possible upside. Basically, an offensive winger that can score and make plays in a top six.

30. Montreal [from Calgary]: David Goyette, LW/C

The draft is being held in Montreal. He's a local Quebecois kid. It seems reasonable to think that maybe they'd take a chance on him here. He's been fast rising after his production exploded since the start of 2022. It'd give the local fans something to cheer for on draft day, while simultaneously taking a player who also matches their new GM, Kent Hughes's motto for speed and skill.

Comparison: Jordan Kyrou. One of the best skaters in the draft, there's an aura of dynamism in Goyette's game. He's a crafty, skilled forward that can use his speed to be a danger at both ends of the ice, including on a penalty kill and transitioning pucks up the ice.

31. Chicago [from Minnesota]: Adam Ingram, RW/C

The Blackhawks are only able to get this pick by proxy of my prediction of the Wild making the Conference Finals and then the finals. As such, they take a chance on the big forward, Adam Ingram, who's been tearing up the USHL this season, with the Hawks liking his versatility, smarts and offensive ability.

Comparison: Drake Batherson. He's a forward with an impressive blend of size and skill. He can snipe the puck as well as he can setup plays. He'll need to work on skating and consistency if he wants to make it, however.

32. Buffalo [from Florida]: Rutger McGroarty, LW/C

They've taken their share of American forwards in the past. McGroarty seems like someone that'd fit in to the kind of high-IQ game that they're hunting for. The only thing that could hold him back is his poor skating. Otherwise, he's a gritty player with some good hockey smarts and goal scoring ability.

Comparison: Andrew Brunette. McGroarty has some real sloppy skating. If he can improve it, he could outshine his draft position. Despite that huge negative, he knows how to fire pucks, can make plays and he can be a feisty, physical forward with high IQ, knowing how to put up offense. At his best, he probably turns out similar to how Andrew Brunette played.

======

Round 2

33. Arizona:
Mats Lindgren, D

The Coyotes's Shane Doan has connections to the Kamloops Blazers, which means they surely have seen and know a lot about Mats Lindgren. Namely his ability to carry the puck and be a puck-moving defenseman. His birthday isn't until August, which means he's still young for the draft, giving him plenty of time for development and growth. They take him early, thereby kicking off the 2nd day of the draft.

Comparison: Filip Hronek. Puck-movement and skating is Lindgren's speciality. He can turn the jets on and rush up ice with the puck, playing a well-rounded game. While I'm not sure how high is upside is, something like a Filip Honek could be a good comparable in that he's an offensive-leaning guy with great mobility.

34. Montreal: Noah Warren, D

The Habs again go local. This time, they target the big, physical defenseman that's playing in Gatineau, Noah Warren. He's from just 30 minutes outside of Montreal and it'll be a clear swerve away from the previous regime's decision to stay away from local talents. He, along with David Goyette, can help be a part of the team's future. Not burn until July, he's got tons of development left and he also skates well for his size, which is what new GM, Kent Hughes, likes to see.

Comparison: Scott Mayfield. A big, mean, physical defenseman with excellent skating ability, Warren's got decent transition ability for a big man and can be the type of defenseman that makes your life miserable to play against.

35. Seattle: Isaac Howard, LW

After grabbing the defenseman, Simon Nemec, with their first selection, the Kraken go for some upfront skill for their next pick. Howard's lack of size could keep him out of the first round... but he's got some upside as a versatile scoring winger.

Comparison: Jordan Eberle. He's an undersized winger with some average-to-decent skating, that can act as a sniper or as a setup man. He can be a versatile guy that can get shifted around a top 9 to add some offense.

36. New Jersey: Alexander Perevalov, LW/RW

If Perevalov's on the board, the Devils would be thrilled. He's just the type of winger that they'd love to add, feeling he'd make a perfect complement to someone such as Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier. With the current political climate, it might allow some teams such as the Devils to walk out with some steals.

Comparison: Justin Williams. Perevalov is a gritty winger with some offensive skill. He battles hard for pucks, has some all-around skill and can be a hard-working force when on the ice.

37. Arizona [from Philadelphia]: Owen Beck, C

It's another center for the Coyotes's core. Beck's been impressive in the OHL this year, showing great metrics at both ends of the ice. While his overall upside may be minimal, he does a lot of good things and can do a lot of the heavy lifting at center, which might pique the interest of Arizona.

Comparison: Adam Henrique. Beck may not be an elite, top line center. He's moreso an effective, well-rounded Swiss Army Knife type of center that can use his speed, hockey sense and two-way ability help his team win. He boasts a pretty good, accurate shot and it should help him create some offense in a depth role.

38. Ottawa: Cameron Lund, RW

He seems like a very Ottawa style pick to me. Therefore, he goes a little earlier than expected. They tend to love drafting from American systems and he could bring a power-scoring element to the team. They'd surely be interested.

Comparison: Yegor Sharangovich. A big winger with some finesse, some skill and plays a bit of a power game. He's got the potential to become a versatile scoring winger with some skill and size.

39. Chicago: Jiri Kulich, LW/C

The Hawks are known for scouting the Europeans quite hard. Kulich is thought of as a first rounder on some lists. He's dropped a little due to inconsistent play, but I could see him highly valued by certain teams. He aspires to be a well-rounded forward that the Hawks can throw into multiple roles.

Comparison: Ondrej Palat. Kulich's a toolsy Czech forward that's versatile and able to play in multiple roles. He likes to power his way to the middle and goes to the danger areas in order to compete. He's a dual-threat type of player.

40. Buffalo: Seamus Casey, D

Casey could be someone that splits the opinions of scouts. He's got the two-way talents, skating and upside of a top 20 selection. Unfortunately, his size is an issue. It may result in him falling into the 2nd round, where the Sabres jump on him, feeling like he'd be a great depth player to play alongside Power or Dahlin.

Comparison: Samuel Girard. Casey's a coveted right-handed defenseman that has good mobility and skating. His hockey sense is also quite high, which enables him to be excellent in terms of transitioning pucks up the ice and starting up offensive plays.

41. Detroit: Filip Bystedt, C

The Wings go to Sweden again. This time, they target the big center, Filip Bystedt. It covers their need for center depth, with the Wings really wanting to hit that area steadily. Bystedt's been on an upward trajectory, especially with his play as of late. If he's still there, they'd be content to grab him.

Comparison: Roope Hintz. Bystedt's a big, 6'3"/6'4" forward that can play center, who can do a little of everything, including dispense the puck and create plays. He could make an intriguing middle-six player on his size alone.

42. Arizona [from San Jose]: Tyler Brennan, G

It's a little high for Brennan, but the Coyotes take their shot here, wanting to add a goalie to the mix. He was an Arizona Coyotes fan while growing up and it gives them incentive to take a chance on him here.

Comparison: Mackenzie Blackwood. Not sure if Brennan ever turns into a true top goaltending starter at the problem, but there's still some potential in his game. He's done an "okay" job for this season, albeit it hasn't been lights out. A longterm project.

43. Anaheim: Danny Zhilkin, LW/C

A good transition forward would be a nice pickup for the Ducks's depth in the 2nd round. Zhilkin fits the bill as someone that could fill any role, with potential middle-six upside as a versatile forward with some skill.

Comparison: Andre Burakovsky. Zhilkin's a verastile forward, who likely fills a role as a winger at the pro level. He's great at transporting pucks up the ice and gaining entry, having good hands and skills overall. He's even played defense for a little bit, as well.

44. Columbus: Gleb Trikozov, RW

The Blue Jackets seem like the type that'd take the risk on some Russians. They've done so in the past and they go for a huge coup here with Trikozov, who absolutely has first round talent. While the current Russia-Ukraine thing is scary, it remains to be seen how things will be in 2-3 years, when he is ready to make the jump.

Comparison: Phil Kessel. Trikozov is an all-offense winger that shines with plenty of skill and talent. He's got great speed and can setup plays as well as he can wire pucks. A very good offensive talent.

45. Arizona [from New York Islanders]: Ty Nelson, D

With a load of pucks, the Coyotes can afford to take a chance on Ty Nelson, who's another guy that has first round level of skill. The only thing that drops him is his 5'9"/5'10" height... albeit, it's a thick 5'9"/5'10". For a 2nd round selection, it's a great swing for the fence type of selection, which could be a homerun.

Comparison: He's sort of a James Wisniewski/Torey Krug combination. He's somewhere within the vicinity of 5'8" to 5'10", but can play a physical game due to his overall body strength. He's got a bomb of a shot, too, as evidenced in a viral moment this year, when he split the puck in two after hammering it at the net.

46. Washington [from Winnipeg]: Jack Hughes, C

Aside from Danila Yurov falling in their lap, the Capitals have been drafting a lot from North America as of late. If Jack Hughes is on the board, it gives them a center that gives them depth down the middle. He could come in and eventually play in a potential middle-six role once Backstrom and/or Eller move on.

Comparison: Chandler Stephenson. Hughes is a versatile, playmaking center that can do a little bit of everything. He's someone that could go anywhere from the late first to the mid second and can play a well-rounded game down the middle.

47. Minnesota [from Vancouver]: Noah Ostlund, C/LW

The Wild are a team that relies heavily on analytics. I could definitely see them drafting Ostlund if he's available. The only thing keeping him out of the first round is his lack of size. Otherwise, his pure playmaking skill will make them very happy, especially if he gets to play with Kirill Kaprizov.

Comparison: Mikael Granlund. Ostlund's a smart playmaking forward that may be a little undersized, yet makes up for it with his absurdly high hockey IQ. His lack of physicality and perimeter play might keep him out of the first round, even though there's plenty of skill within his game.

48. Vegas: Calle Odelius, D

Vegas could use some more depth on the blueline. If Odelius is somehow still there, he might make an okay fit. He'd got the potential to become a valuable middle pairing defender, which is something you can't go wrong with at this point of the draft.

Comparison: TJ Brodie. Odelius is a strong skater that can keep pucks in motion up the ice, while playing a well-rounded, two-way game. He can be a guy that plays a "safe" type of game, which is perfectly adequate.

49. Dallas: Matyas Sapovaliv, C

The Stars love drafting players from the OHL. They also love players with size. Put those 2 things together and it adds up to Sapovaliv, who's had himself an interesting season. At minimum, he increases Dallas's depth at center, which is much needed.

Comparison: Artem Anisimov. Sapovaliv's a 6'4"+ center with a long, active stick that can use it to shutdown play, strip pucks and brings a well-rounded game. Even if he only turns into a bottom-six guy due to poor skating, he's still a useful guy that can be placed on a penalty kill to shutdown opposition.

50. Los Angeles: Michael Buchinger, D

The Kings have been finding some good talent in the OHL as of late. Buchinger could be another one. He's got the potential to become a solid, playmaking, puck-moverfrom the point, which is always valuable.

Comparison: Vince Dunn. Probably not a true high-end guy. More of a guy that makes the simple play, keeps pucks in motion up the ice, sets up play and can be a bottom four type of defenseman that plays on a 2nd PP.

51. Detroit [from Washington]: Elias Salomonsson, D

His D-1 season was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately for him, he's kind of flatlined this year and hasn't shown the same potential that he did last year. If their European scouting can sense they can figure him out and address the issues plaguing him, I could see them certainly taking him in this range.

Comparison: Justin Schultz. Last year, he looked destined to be a top 10 pick. However, he's been less consistent this year and less active offensively. His upside is in question; but maybe he turns into something like a Justin Schultz -- a two-way guy that can also add some depth offense.

52. Nashville: Rieger Lorenz, LW/C

This western Canadian kid has been tearing up the AJHL this year and will be headed to Denver next season to attend university. To me, that sounds like a developmental approach that the Preds usually tend to like. They'll hope his progress can continue and he can develop into a guy that plays around their bottom nine.

Comparison: Scott Laughton. Lorenz is a versatile, speedy guy with some tenacity in his game. He goes to the dirty areas in order to produce and can be counted on to become a complementary player.

53. Montreal [from Edmonton]: Mattias Havelid, D

One of Montreal's biggest needs for the future is someone that can add offense from the backend. By taking Havelid, they throw a dart at this area, hoping it lands. Previous regimes haven't had much success with Swedes; but with a whole new management core, it's worth a shot to right things in that area.

Comparison: Adam Boqvist. Havelid's an offensive defenseman that stands only 5'10", which could affect his overall draft position. He boasts a heavy shot from the point and lots of offenive cues, making him a dangerous offensive threat.

54. Winnipeg [from St. Louis]: Devin Kaplan, RW

They've found some talent from American systems in the past. They stick with what they know and take Kaplan, feeling as if he'd make an interesting power winger for them. He's been playing for the American U18 team, which should absolutely get him enough views to be taken within the first 2 rounds.

Comparison: Tanner Jeannot. Kaplan's a sizeabl, 6'3" winger with power forward tendencies and some skill. He can hit, grind it out and also provide some depth offense, proving to be a good asset to have.

55. Anaheim [from Pittsburgh]: Maveric Lamoureux, D

The Ducks have always grabbed a few Q players in the recent past. They get the gigantic Lamoureux to help build upon that, giving their RHD more depth. Like their Rinzel pick, he wouldn't have to focus on becoming a #1 defenseman. Instead, they leave that to Drysdale and let Lamoureux develop at his own pace and get used to playing with his size.

Comparison: Jamie Oleksiak. Lamoureux's a huge, 6'7" defenseman that uses his size and reach to lean on opponents to shut them down. His puck skills are lacking; therefore, he'll never be an offensive guy.

56. Boston: Michael Fisher, D

The Bruins always love taking kids that are local. He's been playing prep school in Massachusetts this past year and I'm sure he's caught their eye. They jump on him here, loving his combination of size and offensive ability from the back. He might be someone that pays off over time.

Comparison: Will Borgen. Fisher's a 6'3" kid that moves well and can apply offense from the back. He'll be a project with a lot of upside if he can hit his top end.

57. Winnipeg [from New York Rangers]: Paul Ludwinski, LW/C

The Jets grab the best player available here in Ludwinski. His energetic play and overall smarts could see him land at center for the Jets. Otherwise, thanks to his strong play along the boards, he could also be a thrifty and swift winger. In any event, it's a good swing for the Jets.

Comparison: Bryan Rust. Not the biggest guy, Ludwinski's tenacious on the forecheck and brings solid well-rounded play. He's one of the hardest workers in the draft and can be a complementary forward.

58. Seattle [from Toronto]: Jordan Gustafson, LW/C

Going local, the Kraken turn towards their local WHL team and take Jordan Gustafson. It'll allow them to develop him under their nose, giving them someone that has potential to develop into a depth forward that can play in a bottom-nine.

Comparison: Artturi Lehkonen. He's a hard-working, competitive forward that can score goals and play multiple roles for his team. He may be more of a utility guy with some well-rounded skill that still needs to work on developing his skating.

59. Carolina: Jani Nyman, LW/RW

Notorious for their love of Finnish players, the Hurricanes nab Jani Nyman at this point of the draft. At minimum, he gives them more size and some skill upfront, which wouldn't be so bad since they have a lot of shorter, skilled guys on the way.

Comparison: Mason Marchment. Nyman's a big, physical winger that skates well for his size and can unleash a torrent of shots on the net. He profiles as a complementary piece going forward -- someone you can add onto a skilled line to create some space.

60. New York Islanders [from Colorado]: Simon Forsmark, D

If Forsmark's still there, he might be a wise pickup for the Islanders, who decide to take whomever they feel is the best player available. They've got some contracts coming up in the next year or two. It might be smart to take someone like Forsmark, who probably isn't too far away from competing, even if it's in a bottom pairing role.

Comparison: John Marino. Forsmark's a positionally-sound defender that likes to play a calm, easy-going game. He likely won't be a guy that adds loads of offense, opting to play a more defense-oriented game. That said, he can still pass pucks and move it up the ice.

61. Ottawa [from Tampa Bay]: Dylan James, LW

The Sens absolutely love drafting players attending the University of North Dakota, which is where James is headed next year. He's flown up draft boards due to tearing up the USHL, leaping to the top of rookie scoring. It's another boost of their winger depth.

Comparison: Anthony Duclair. James has strong bursts of speed, which he can use to put up points. He can become a dangerous offensive threat if paired on the right lines.

62. Calgary: Matthew Poitras, C/RW

If the Flames could land a Matthew Poitras late in the 2nd, they'd probably be quite content. Whether he can play on the wing or at center remains to be determined, with the Flames liking he could fill any role given to him.

Comparison: Ryan Callahan. Brimming with captain material, Poitras is the type of player that can wear his heart on his sleeve and help his team win games. He's a tireless forechecker that works hard on the ice and away from the puck, doing his best to play a well-rounded game.

63. Minnesota: Reid Schaefer, LW

The Wild seem intent on adding some size and physicality. In that case, Schaefer might be someone that they introduce to their core. He's a big, mean, physical, two-way winger that has potted 30+ goals in the WHL this year. He might be too tantalizing for the Wild to pass on.

Comparison: Pat Maroon. He's big, physical and has some all-around ability. The one thing that holds him back and keeps him from being taken higher is his lack of foot speed. Otherwise, he may be kept to a bottom-six role.

64. Seattle [from Florida]: Julian Lutz, LW

They've got some good European scouting. The German forward came into the year thought of as a potential first rounder. Unfortunately, injuries have kept him out for the year, only to have recently returned. He's still been shaking off the cobwebs, with Seattle selecting him here, hoping to walk away with a late 2nd round steal.

Comparison: Miles Wood. As long as he can bounce back from his injury, he can become a speedy, aggressive winger that's nasty on the forecheck and has solid work ethic. He's got potential to be a middle-six type of winger.

======

ROUND 3

65. Arizona:
Kirill Dolzhenkov, LW/RW

Swinging on size, the Coyotes take Dolzhenkov, who's shown impressive speed and talent for a man of his size. The Russian factor is there, keeping him in the third round, with the Coyotes willing to give him a shot due to the amount of picks in their possesson.

Comparison: Jordan Greenway. Dolzhenkov's a 6'7" winger that moves and skates incredibly well for his size. Thanks to his reach and power, he can oversize and out-work combatants, allowing him to plow his way to the net and add offense.

66. Montreal: Ryan Greene, C

It's another center for the Habs, who might want to keep that area stocked well. He even has fantastic skating, which definitely ticks the box of what they want in their players. He'll be going to Boston University, a system that they're well aware of, hoping he can develop into a well-rounded type.

Comparison: Chris Tierney. Greene's a speedy center with some playmaking ability. He will be at his best when using his skating and speed to cut down the middle and to play a two-way game. He's probably more of a bottom six type of center with occasional bursts of creativity.

67. Seattle: Topias Leinonen, G

Their goalie depth could be ignited a little more. They take the huge Finnish kid, Topias Leinoen, with this selection. The main point of this pick is to build depth and take whomever they feel is the best goalie still on the board, with Leinonen thought of as that guy.

Comparison: Darcy Kuemper. Leinonen is still unproven on whether he can be a full-time starter or not. He has lots of tools, however. Those include his own size, standing 6'5", which allows him to cover a lot of the net. He'll be a work in progress.

68. New Jersey: Bryce McConnell-Barker, LW

They've been known to draft from the OHL in the past. Taking BMB in this range would be a good option. It gives them more depth on the left wing, which they'd certainly be content about. He was once thought of as a near first rounder, but he hasn't really been able to sustain that mark, dropping him into the third, where the Devils take him and run.

Comparison: Zach Hyman. Barker's a speedy winger that loves to shoot the puck. He'll make sure to get off plentitude of shots while going to the net and doing all the simple things to play his style of game. A complementary type of winger.

69. Philadelphia: Christian Kyrou, D

Kyrou has exploded offensively this year. It could get him to jump up around. If not -- and if teams stay away from him over concerns over his size and lack of defense -- the Flyers could take him here, hoping he can learn to adapt. Being one of the older players in his age group, he narrowly missed last year's draft. Teams will have to wonder if he's capitalizing on that or if he's just that talented.

Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere to Marc-Andre Bergeron. Kyrou's got a rocket of a shot and loves to be an offensive catalyst. Teams will have to figure out if he's more of a PP specialias, ala Marc Andre Bergeron; or if he's more of an offensive defenseman that can actually play regular minutes, ala Shayne Gostisbehere.

70. Ottawa: Isaiah George, D

The Sens grab another defenseman for the long haul. George is developing developing within the London Knights organization, which sounds like the recipe for a steal. Playing limited minutes this year, George will be given an increased role next season, which should see his play continue to blossom. If the Sens are smart, they'd jump on him here.

Comparison: Danny Dekeyser. He's a defenseman with decent height and has excellent skating ability. His overall offensive upside is questionable, but George has the potential to be a mobile, two-way defenseman that can play a solid professional game.

71. Carolina [from Chicago]: Hunter Haight, RW/LW

Coming into the year, he was thought of as a potential first rounder. Production, consistency and size issues might push him down the board. Having some recent ties to drafting from Barrie, the Canes could take him here, hoping he breaks out next season... which is certainly possible. They tend to love swinging on talent and it can be considered another one of those choices.

Comparison: Jonathan Dahlen. He's a versatile, speedy winger that can score goals and can use his speed to disrupt play, playing a two-way game.

72. Buffalo: Servac Petrovsky, C

This Slovakian center has had a breakthrough season in the OHL, where he's shown a determined, defensive-minded game. He may even have some offensive upside, which sweetens the pot for the Sabres, who take him here. Even if he doesn't find the offense, he could still be a solid bottom-six/4th line type of center that does everything well.

Comparison: Ivan Barbashev. Petrovsky's a center/forward who'll find his way into playing time in the NHL based on his defensive play alone. It all depends on how high is ceiling is and if he can keep developing or not. His best work probably comes when he's killing penalties and shutting down opposition.

73. Detroit: Ludwig Persson, LW

Persson plays with Frolunda in the SHL. This bit of information, along with his speedy skating make him a target for the Red Wings. In fact, you may as well already pencil him down as a Wing. It just seems like too good of a fit.

Comparison: Ilya Mikheyev. Persson profiles as a complementary forward that likely plays a 3rd line winger winger, using his speed, smarts and two-way ability to be a hellraiser on the ice. He keeps things calm and simple, playing a two-way game.

74. San Jose: Topi Ronni, C

Grabbing a center with size, the Sharks shore up their depth down the middle. Ronni has had a decent season in Finland and might turn into a solid bottom-six guy down the road. With their need for centers, San Jose seems like the type of team that would like to grab him.

Comparison: Carl Soderberg. Roni's got some size and good two-way appeal. His offensive upside may not be huge, but he gets the job done in his own end. He's a depth center that can carry his own workload.

75. Montreal [from Anaheim]: Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, LW/C

The previous management team had a lot of faith in Finns. I don't know if that'll follow through with the new bunch, but Kaskimaki fits a lot of what they're looking for, namely in his ability to skate. If he's still here in the third, they could be all over him.

Comparison: Ondrej Kase. Kaskimaki's a speedster that can be a buzzsaw on the forecheck. He's more of a shooter than playmaker, making him a threat to score off the rush.

76. Winnipeg [from Columbus]: Kasper Kulonummi, D

Grabbing a right-shooting Finn seems right on par with how Winnipeg drafts. Kulonummi's been coming along nicely this year. It remains to be seen just how much upside he has... but he gives Winnipeg some depth, which is a plus.

Comparison: Gustav Forsling. Kulonummi is a thinking-man's defenseman. He plays a cerebral style of game, keeping things calm, honest and mobile. Instead of playing a high-impact game, he can slow things down and play a well-rounded game.

77. New York Islanders: Jordan Dumais, RW

Dumais is getting criminally under-ranked in lists. With the Islanders always scouting the Q heavily, they could take him here, hoping his offense can translate to the professional leagues. He's a high-risk/high-reward type of selection.

Comparison: Connor Garland. Dumais is a scorer with some rough skating, which keeps him knocked down draft boards. That said, he can be a big-time scorer, which he's shown in the QMJHL this year. His lack of size likely hurts his overall rating, keeping him from going higher than he should.

78. Toronto [from Winnipeg]: Vladimir Grudinin, D

The Leafs are known for grabbing guys they really like, no matter the size, location or talent. If Grundinin's there, he screams a "Dudas-like pick". He looked fantastic at the very brief World Juniors and has continued the same level of play since then. The scary Russian factor is indeed in play, as is fear over his lack of height, with Toronto willing to risk it.

Comparison: Rasmus Sandin. Grudinin's an undersized, yet stabilizing, defenseman that likes to transition pucks and brings a well-rounded arsenal to the ice. As a result, he comes across as a smooth-skating two-way defenseman that can do a lot of heavy lifting and has solid defensive reads.

79. Vancouver: Leo Gruba, D

In order to build up their RHD depth, they take the big kid coming from Minnesota high school hockey, Leo Gruba. There's lots to like in his game. If he can keep developing, he may be a mid-round steal... or at least the Canucks hope so.

Comparison: Maybe something like a Damon Severson as his utmost high-end ceiling. He's got a bomb of a point shot and moves well for a big kid. As always, with kids coming from high school, there's always a gambit, so it's hard to get a good overall read on him.

80. Chicago [from Vegas]: Lane Hutson, D

A first round level of offensive talent, Lane Hutson drops solely due to lack of size. Reports indicate he's anywhere from 5'7" to 5'9" and that's certainly a problem in today's NHL. If we see smaller defenseman have another difficult go of things in the playoffs, we may see him drop even further. Despite all that, he can be an offensive weapon from the point, with the hometown team of Chicago taking a chance on him.

Comparison: Scott Perunovich. While he's putting up numbers similar to a Quinn Hughes, I'll go with something akin to Perunovich for now. Due to his size, he may be stuck playing a powerplay-only role.

81. Dallas: Matthew Seminoff, RW

The Stars have plenty of ties to the Kamloops Blazers. He's even a teammate of Dallas's 2nd rounder from last year, Logan Stankoven. With the Tom Gagliardi connection, Dallas is always privvy to drafting a few members from Kamloops and it remains the same this year.

Comparison: Blake Coleman. Seminoff has one of the highest compete levels in this draft, even if his skill isn't 100%. Despite being a little undersized, he comes to play each and every night, playing with his heart on his sleeve, willing to fight hard for pucks and battle.

82. Nashville [from Los Angeles]: Alexander Suzdalev, LW

The Preds maintain a focus on skill, aiming their sights towards Suzdalev, a mixed Swedish-Russian winger. Their European scouting takes a swing on Suzdalev, potentially liking his skill level, allowing him to keep developing overseas, hoping they've found something interesting.

Comparison: Alexandre Texier. Suzdalev's got good size, great hands and speed. He's a high-risk/high-reward type that still needs to tighten up defensively if he wants to make the full jump to the pros.

83. Washington: Fraser Minten, RW/C

The Capitals love drafting out of the WHL. Someone like Minten might interest them due to how projectable he is as an NHL'er. He's more of a bottom-six type of player, but is someone that can kill penalties and provide solid defensive play, which is something that'll help you win important games.

Comparison: Teddy Blueger. He's a defensive-minded forward that can use his energy and smarts to play a well-oiled, fully positional game at forward. He kills penalties, works hard and can be someone that's a heart and soul type of forward.

84. Nashville: Gavin Hayes, RW

He comes across as the type of player that the Preds usually tend to like. He's got good size and potential, really showing his game in Flint once he was given actual playing time. It gives their winger depth a boost.

Comparison: Sammy Blais. Hayes is the type of hard-working forward that can play with some power and skill, going to the front of the net to wreck havoc and make some noise.

85. Chicago [from Edmonton]: Adam Sykora, RW/LW

He feels like a natural fit for Chicago, who sometimes draft heavy from overseas. As one of the youngest players in the draft and a constant waterbug on the puck, they can let him percolate overseas for a few years, then bring him over and see how he has developed.

Comparison: Carl Hagelin. I'm not sure how high his overall offensive ceiling is. However, I have good faith in him becoming a younger Carl Hagelin type of player -- a guy that's all over the ice, using his speed on the forecheck and to backcheck, being an absolute warrior on the ice.

86. St. Louis: Otto Salin, D

Grabbing another defenseman, the Blues look to continue building up their blueline. This time, on the right-hand side. Salin has battled some injuries this year and has taken some time to get back on track. That said, he looks like a useful

Comparison: Mario Ferraro. Standing 5'11", Salin isn't a big defenseman, nor is he a big-time producer. He should find his way by playing a well-rounded game, keeping pucks in momentum and playing a calm, collected game.

87. Los Angeles [from Pittsburgh]: Jorian Donovan, D

He didn't have his best game at the Top Prospects Game and has been a little rough overall, as of late. Nevertheless, the Kings select him here, hoping he can reel in his game to become a puck-moving defenseman with some size and all-around ability. It's more depth for their left side.

Comparison: Jack Johnson. He's got good size and is quite mobile... but what else is there? He's a guy with a lot of tools that you'll have to play the long game with to see if he works out.

88. Ottawa [from Boston]: Charlie Leddy, D

In an attempt to add some physicality and strength to the right side of their blueline, the Sens grab Charlie Leddy. He's not someone that's going to put up a lot of points. Instead, he's someone that'll act as a stabilizing presence, which is something they need to address.

Comparison: Jeremy Lauzon. Leddy's a defenseman that plays a steady, rock solid game. He can be physical, restricting zone entries and can make life difficult for opponents.

89. Vegas [from New York Rangers]: Tomas Hamara, D

Vegas may look to replenish their defense. Hamara could be someone that gives them some depth. He's ranked around this range, with the Knights liking his ability to skate from the blueline.

Comparison: Michal Kempny. Hamara's a speedy defenseman that can do a little of everything. His skating should help him apply play at all ends of the ice.

90. Chicago [from Toronto]: Jack Devine, LW/RW

A slippery, offensive winger would make a nice 3rd round pick for the Hawks, who again, go local. Depth is good and Devine gives them exactly that. He's looked promising in the NCAA this year and it gives them someone that can be a depth playmaking winger.

Comparison: Evan Rodrigues. Devine's a versatile playmaking forward that could potentially slot into many roles on either wing. He potentially brings some depth offense to a lineup.

91. Montreal [from Carolina]: Vinzenz Rohrer, RW

A smart, skilled forward, Rohrer seems like someone the Habs could add to their prospect core. He fits in with what their new regime has him hand and can be a depth offensive producers that plays in multiple roles.

Comparison: Pius Suter. Ruhrer's an Austrian winger that plays a very smart, cerebral type of goal-scoring game. Not huge in size, he's still able to weave about and be a complementary piece on a scoring line.

92. Colorado: Nicholas Moldenhauer, RW

The Avs grab Moldenhauer, who's been playing with the Chicago Steel this year. As a result, they've undoubtedly been able to get plenty of looks at him throughout the year. They think he's a worthy pickup here as a potential depth scoring forward.

Comparison: Rem Pitlick. Moldenhauer's got fantastic speed and skating. It should help him provide offense in a depth, potential middle-six role.

93. Columbus [from Tampa Bay]: Ryan Healey, D

They take a RHD in order to build up depth in that area. He'll be developing in the NCAA next year, with the Jackets giving him the all the time needed, hoping he develops into a defenseman with two-way skill.

Comparison: Alec Martinez. A two-way defenseman that moves pucks well, has good defensive abilities and can also join in on the rush by setting up plays. He might be more of depth guy, but he's got an all-around appeal.

94. Boston [from Calgary]: Tucker Robertson, C/RW

The first overager off the board, Robertson can play center or wing, with the Bruins taking him to build up depth for the former. They've shown history of liking overagers, so maybe Robertson could be on their radar. While he's cooled off as of late, his early seasonal play was exceptional.

Comparison: Michael Bunting. Passed over last year, the same situation won't happen again, with Robertson using his energetic play to produce well this year, which is impressive since he didn't play in the previous year due to covid. While his size is a concern for his long-term future at center, he has put up good numbers on the draw.

95. Minnesota: Cole Knuble, RW

He's the son of longtime NHL veteran, Mike Knuble. He puts up good underlying numbers, which the Wild could be well aware of. Lack of size might be an issue, but he's a good, well-rounded prospect that could take some seasoning. They could let him develop for a few years and see what they've got.

Comparison: Brandon Hagel. Knuble and Hagel are right around the same height and play a similar style of game -- with energy and skill. It might take some time, but there's talent there.

96. Florida: Angus Booth, D

The Panthers grab a versatile defenseman from the Q, furthering deepening their ranks on defense. He's a guy that can play on either side of defense, which is something that's always useful.

Comparison: Nikita Zaitsev. Booth's a two-way defenseman that uses his fast skating and overall hockey IQ to defend at both ends of the rink.

======

ROUND 4

97. Winnipeg [from Arizona]:
Filip Nordberg, D

The Jets have had good history with drafting from Sweden. If Nordberg's still there, he'd seem to fit into their style of game on defense -- on the singular basis of being big, strong and mobile.

Comparison: Connor Murphy. Big, mobile defenseman that plays a stay-at-home type of game that can be physical and swift. Likely not a huge offensive producer, more of a guy that'll defend his own zone.

98. Montreal: Ian Blomquist, G

They need some goalie depth in their ranks. They haven't had a Swedish goalie in some time. Maybe they look in that direction now that there's a new GM in town. He's ranked as the 2nd overall European goalie, with Montreal willing to give him the time to develop.

Comparison: Ville Husso. Blomquist is a solid goalie with starter potential, who's looked good in Sweden. He's resilient, has good size and can be an athletic netminder willing to steal games.

99. Seattle: Mikey Milne, LW

Not only do they love drafting from the WHL, they also love drafting overagers, which they also drafted some last year. He'd help deepen the Kraken's wings, giving them someone that's pretty close to making the jump to contribute in a depth role.

Comparison: Matthew Highmore. Milne is a defensively responsible winger that can play a utility role that allows him to be a safe, reliable player. He does the little things to help win games by forcing turnovers, blocking shots and being a hard worker.

100. New Jersey: Jack Sparkes, D

Sparkes is a 6'8" defenseman that'll be going to Michigan State in the future. He's a mammoth right-handed defenseman, which sounds like something the Devils would covet, giving their blueline even more size and depth.

Comparison: Erik Gudbransson. He's a huge, right shot defenseman that's coming out of the OJHL. Maybe he turns into something like an Erik Gudbransson -- a big, stay-at-home, physical defenseman that can pound the opposition.

101. Philadelphia: Quinn Finley, LW

If they need speed, Quinn Finley can certainly give them that. There's a lot of potential within him. They'll hope he can develop it in the NCAA ranks, which is a system they're not strangers to.

Comparison: Craig Smith. Finley's a speedy goal scorer that likes to go to the danger areas after coming down off the rush. He's got good hands, vision and excellent over IQ, making him a potential middle-six scoring threat.

102. St. Louis [from Ottawa]: Jake Karabela, C/LW

A fairly salient two-way performance at the Top Prospects Game might have him moving up. He's kind of a Swiss Army Knife type of player, with the Blues picking him up, feeling he's the best player available in this range.

Comparison: Dillon Dube. Not in huge in size, Karabela has a gung-ho attitude and is able to fight for pucks, while simultaneously having no fear and good two-way skill.

103. Tampa Bay [from Chicago]: Jeremy Langlois, D

Tampa's been known to draft from the Q before. They may be tempted to return there, jumping on the offensively engaged defenseman, Jeremy Langlois. He's been playing on a weak team, yet has put up some very impressive numbers. There could be future breakthrough potential with him.

Comparison: Brandon Montour. Langlois's an attacking defenseman that sometimes leans a little too much into the offensive, leaving him open defensively. He's got the skill to work and put up points on a powerplay.

104. Buffalo: Brennan Ali, LW

Brennan Ali would bring a level of physicality to the Sabres that they don't have much of. He won't be a top-six guy; but he can be someone that causes chaos and brings energy to the ice.

Comparison: Boris Katchouk. A tireless worker, Ali's got good physical attributes, goes to the net hard and can lay the body, creating space for teammates. He can become an energetic depth winger at the pro level.

105. Detroit: George Fegaras, D

He's been putting up solid numbers in the OJHL... which isn't a league that many teams draft from, which means there's some risk. The Wings love their big players that skate well and have potential, though. He seems like a very Wings-like selection.

Comparison: Jon Merill. He's a defenseman with two-way prowess. He skates well for his size and can even add some offense.

106. San Jose: Sandis Vilmanis, LW/RW

This Latvian forward is playing in the J20's over in Sweden. They could scoop him off the board in this range, thinking he's got good tools and a decent overall chance to become a scoring winger.

Comparison: Oskar Lindblom. With decent size, Vilmanis can become a goal-scoring winger who may/may not have consistency issues. He's got potential to be someone that works his way into the slot to bang home goals.

107. Anaheim: Spencer Sova, D

At this point, Sova's the best player left for the Ducks to take. Their blueline gets a boost, hoping for a mid-round steal with the puck-moving, defensive defenseman that's been playing in the OHL.

Comparison: Travis Dermott. He moves pucks well, plays a simple and effective game... but may be only a bottom pairing type depending on if his offense can translate.

108. Columbus: Evan Konyen, LW

Adding some speed and skill, Konyen is a good gamble for the Jackets in this area. He may be undersized, yet he could become a depth offensive player that adds some skill and speed to their overall depth.

Comparison: Alex Kerfoot. Likely not a first line player, moreso a depth winger that adds some playmaking ability and speed that can be an asset on special teams.

109. New Jersey [from New York Islanders]: Pano Fimis, C/LW

He may/may not be able to stick to center at the pro-level due to being smaller in size, but Fimis has good skill. Whether he sticks to it or not, it still gives New Jersey some more center depth, if he doesn't move to the wing.

Comparison: Trevor Moore. A smaller, playmaking forward with good two-way smarts that's capable of being moved to the wing. He's versatile and can fill many roles.

110. New York Rangers [from Winnipeg]: Jackson Dorrington, D

The Rangers seem to be interested in grabbing some more "solid", physical types of players. Dorrington gives them a RHD that can play that non-flashy style. It's a pick for the longterm.

Comparison: Zachary Whitecloud. Dorrington's got some physical tools that should allow him to play a stay-at-home game. He's probably a depth defenseman that does a lot to help win games.

111. Vancouver: Artyom Duda, D

There have been reports of Duda having contact with the Canucks. If he's there in the 4th round, they could swoop in and take him here, further growing their defense. He's a left-shooting defenseman that can play on the right side, something they also like.

Comparison: Dmitry Kulikov. Duda's a simple defenseman that's usually been known to play mainly a defensive role. However, after an explosion of offense this year, there could be some more hiding beneath the layers.

112. Detroit [from Vegas]: Ivan Zhigalov, G

Even though they have Sebastian Cossa, they grab another goalie just to make sure their pool is strong. Zhigalov should have been selected last year, but got passed over. He's very likely to be chosen this year after a strong season in Sherbrooke.

Comparison: Karel Vejmelka. He's got the size of the modern netminder. He's good good athleticism and has proven himself well on the international stage, as well.

113. Dallas: Elias Pettersson, D

Like the prior Jack Hughes selection, it's not THE Elias Pettersson... but an Elias Pettersson, nonetheless. He's a Swedish defenseman that's shown good offensive skill. They'll hope he can have a similar development as John Klingberg.

Comparison: Jan Rutta. It's hard for an accurate comparable... maybe something like a Jan Rutta. A big defenseman that can play a depth role, who has decent hands, keep things in motion and pushes the pace of play.

114. Los Angeles: Niklas Kokko, G

They've been known to dig into the Finnish ranks through the years. If they'd like to add some goaltender depth, Kokko could definitely be an option. The second half of his season was incredibly strong and it could get him some notoriety for draft potential.

Comparison: Joonas Korpisalo. An athletic Finnish goalie, Kokko can battle with consistency, but when he's engaged, he can be pretty good. It'll remain to be seen whether he can be a starter in the future or not. If not, maybe a quality backup.

115. Seattle [from Washington]: Ludvig Jansson, D

Going to Sweden, they grab the right-shooting Jansson. They hope he can continue developing, which would further bolster their right side of defense. He's shown some good offensive awareness this year and they think it's a good start.

Comparison: JJ Moser. Jansson's an offensive defenseman with some upside. He's calm and poised with the puck on his stick, able to make pinpoint passes and provide an offensive flair.

116. Nashville: Kent Anderson, D

Not only does Kent Anderson join the Preds organization, but he's also joining the University of Denver next year, which is the same school that their 2nd rounder, Rieger Lorenz, will be attending. It gives their RHD some more depth, while also adding another big body on defense.

Comparison: Jacob Middleton. Anderson's a solid, all-around defenseman that's capable of logging a lot of minutes. He may not pack a huge offensive punch at the next level, with the focus of his game being about doing the things to help win games and keeping it simple.

117. New Jersey [from Edmonton]: Daimon Gardner, LW/C

Even though Gardner's been playing high school hockey in Minnesota, he could still go relatively early, especially after being named a nominee for the Mr. Hockey Award. Not only that, but his impressive combination of size and skill makes him an interesting prospect with upside.

Comparison: Zach Sanford. Gardner's a big, skilled winger, not unlike Zach Sanford. He can use his size to go to the net and has an array of good skills.

118. St. Louis: Jake Furlong, D

It's another defenseman to help rebuild their ranks. Furlong's got pretty standard size and has the potential to turn into a very useful defenseman as long as he keeps on his current development path.

Comparison: Mike Reilly. Skating is good, he transitions pucks well and he can be a multi-purpose type of defenseman.

119. Pittsburgh: Antonin Verreault, LW

Headed back to the Q, an area they feel comfortable with, the Pens grab Antonin Verreault. His size keeps him down the board, but there's a lot to like about him. They shoot for pure upside, hoping he can prove his doubters wrong.

Comparison: Yanni Gourde. Undersized, standing anywhere from 5'7"-to-5'9", Verreault's incredibly tenacious and skilled, able to cut off passes and go on the attack and drive play in the opposing end.

120. Boston: Fabian Wagner, RW/LW

In the past, they've drafted some Swedes. Wagner is someone that could be of interest, as well. They'd surely love his speed through the neutral zone. They take a chance on him here, hoping he can find a place in their bottom-nine.

Comparison: JT Compher. Wagner's game is all about speed. His offense may not translate, so it may restrict him to a bottom-six role. He's still a very capable winger, however, able to use his speed to make trouble for other teams and return to the backcheck.

121. Montreal [from New York Rangers]: Michael Mastrodomenico, D

It's another local kid, this time it's a guy that's been developing in US hockey. It's anther boost to their right side of defense, which is in need of some tooling. Longterm, maybe he can develop into something for them, even if it's in a depth role.

Comparison: Cody Ceci. He's big, skates well, can sometimes jump in on the rush, break out the play; or even defend in his own zone.

122. Columbus [from Toronto]: Jan Spunar, G

Their goaltending depth could use a good kick. They seem like the type that selects a lot of European goalies, so they defer to the next best goalie from Europe that's available... and it might be Spunar.

Comparison: Jeremy Swayman. Spunar, like Swayman, offers a very calm approach to the game. He likes to keep it simple, work hard and allows for the play to come to him.

123. Carolina: Ruslan Gazizov, LW

Carolina loves taking these high-risk/high-reward types throughout the draft. Sometimes they work out; sometimes they don't. With Gazizov playing with the London Knights, I think they'll feel he can work out.

Comparison: Philipp Kurashev. A feisty and skilled playmaking winger, Gazizov is someone that could battle with inconsistency. He'll need to figure that out before he turns pro.

124. Detroit [from Colorado]: Matthew Morden, D

Detroit loves their big defensemen. Morden's another guy for their blueline, which they continue to build upon, hoping someone will eventually standout. He's got a late birthday and played college hockey this year and will likely be going to the NCAA route in the fall, giving him plenty of time for development.

Comparison: Joel Edmundson. He's a big, smooth operating defenseman that covers a lot of the ice and has two-way potential. Not sold on his pure offensive upside, but can become a solid and dependable and large all-around player.

125. Montreal [from Tampa Bay]: Grayson Badger, RW

Coming from US Prep school is always a risk, but he's also headed to Northeastern University, which is where new GM, Kent Hughes, has a lot of ties and connections. As such, they draft him here, loving his all-out energy. They feel he could become a fan-favorite type of forward.

Comparison: Brandon Tanev. Badger's an energetic winger that skates hard and fast to the net, willing to do anything to help his team win. He can be an on-ice leader and a forward that can play physically.

126. Seattle [from Calgary]: Brayden Schuurman, RW

Standing only 5'9", size might be a concern for Schuurman, therefore dropping him down the draft board. However, Seattle's a team that loves their western kids and also has embraced smaller players. Maybe he can find a home here.

Comparison: His top end, if he ever makes it, would be something like Brendan Gallagher. Someone that goes hard to the net, plays with tenacity and can be a goal-scorer. Otherwise, maybe something like a Frank Vatrano.

127. Minnesota: Cruz Lucius, RW

Injuries kind of derailed his season, result in him falling into the late 4th. At this range, the Minnesota native could go to his hometown team, giving them a depth forward with some offensive flair. If he hits, then it could be a really solid 4th round selection.

Comparison: Sonny Milano. He's got skilled hands and has really solid playmaking ability. He's got upside as a skilled forward.

128. Florida: Kasper Lundell, LW/RW

It keeps the Lundell brothers together, which keeps Anton happy for now. They've always loved drafting Finns -- and it just seems like an easy connection to make.

Comparison: Luke Glendening. Kasper doesn't have the offense that his bigger brother has. That said, he's a defensively focused forward that'll work hard at all ends of the ice, including killing penalties.

======

ROUND 5

129. Arizona:
Jake Livanavage, D

Livanavage is an Arizona-born defenseman, which, to me, screams like they should select him. He's be a homegrown talent and he's been playing with the touted Chicago Steel this past year as an offensive blueliner, so he's coming in from good lineage.

Comparison: Alex Goligoski. Not that big of a guy, he's an offensive defenseman that depends on his mobility and awareness, who is also capable of dropping some bodies with hitting.

130. Montreal: Cameron Whitehead, G

Taking another goalie, the Habs target a guy that's developing within North America to counteract their previous European selection. He's an overager that's headed to Northeastern, which is a developmental path they know quite well.

Comparison: James Reimer. He's a goaltender with good versatility, able to match up well with competition. He's quick into the butterfly and able to use his size and instincts to stop pucks.

131. Seattle: Jozef Viliam Kmec, D

It's yet another boost to their RHD depth. Kmec is a defense-first defender, which is something they need. The Slovakian defenseman is playing in Prince George this year, where he has been a rock solid shutdown guy, which the Kraken hope he can translate that to the pros.

Comparison: Jonas Siegenthaler. A strong defensive defenseman, Kmec is a Slovakian defender that's been playing in the WHL this year, doing a good job of shutting down opposition the old fashion way of leaning on them, making them work hard for pucks and being physical.

132. Buffalo [from Buffalo]: Tyler Muszelik, G

Despite already having a few bodies in the pipeline, they may want to grab Muszelik, the USA U18 team's goalie, to their ranks. It'd give them more depth, plus with a lot of picks, they'd probably like to grab an extra goalie or two.

Comparison: Scott Wedgewood. He's a flexible, butterfly style goalie with good size and can track pucks well.

133. Philadelphia: Lucas Edmonds, RW

If they're able to land Shane Wright with the lottery, they could take his current linemate, Lucas Edmonds. While playing with alongside Edmonds, Wright's offense has increased and it could be a good way to jumpstart his NHL career. A double-overager, Edmonds is about ready to jump in and play, just as long as he can work on his skating.

Comparison: Jiri Hudler. Edmonds was passed over twice and it likely doesn't happen again. While his skating isn't great and he's pretty slow, he's still a winger with some impressive skill.

134. Ottawa: Adam Engstrom, D

Going to Sweden, they grab a defenseman in order to increase depth in that position. Engstrom's an all-around guy with some tools that make him a worthy selection. They've taken some Swedes in the past and maybe Engstrom would interest them.

Comparison: Colin Miller. At the pro level, he could potentially turn into something like Colin Miller. He's got a heavy pointshot, some all around ability that can allow him to defend and play a depth role.

135. Vegas [from Chicago]: Rylen Roersma, C/LW

Vegas has connections with the Brandon Wheat Kings. Roersma could be one such target for them. He plays a style that they'd certainly like and feel could easily settle in to their system.

Comparison: Jake Evans. Roersma's a speedy, two-way forward that can be a role player, working hard on each shift, able to play a multitude of roles.

136. San Jose [from Buffalo]: Liam Steele, D

In an effort to boost their depth on defense, the Sharks grab the huge Liam Steele. Having moved from England to Canada to play varsity hockey, Steele has a future that likely included developing in the American collegiate systems. With his sheer size, he might be a sneaky good selection for the Sharks in the longterm.

Comparison: Andrej Sustr. Standing 6'6" will certainly get him noticed. His upside remains to be seen, but maybe he turns into something like Andrej Sustr, who has found a role as a depth defenseman with size and skating at the pro ranks.

137. Detroit: Brandon Lisowsky, LW

Lack of size could knock Lisowsky down the board, much to the delight of the Wings, who'd gleefully swoop in and take him off the board here. The Wings can offer him plenty of time to develop and work on things that need to be addressed, hoping to fit him into their plans sometime in the future.

Comparison: Kailer Yamamoto. Lisowsky's an undersized, energetic, speedy winger that can propel himself into scoring situations. He's a feisty winger that likes to engage in play and can be a scorer on a powerplay.

138. San Jose: Logan Morrison, C

Passed over last year due to not playing because of covid, Morrison could get picked up this year. The Sharks are a team that could use some center depth and he's closer to stepping in and providing a spark.

Comparison: Matt Stajan. He plays a high-IQ game that should/could enable him to play at least a bottom-six role. Morrison doesn't quit on a play and has good playmaking skill, making him a versatile threat.

139. Anaheim: Kyle Jackson, LW/C

After a growth spurt - both in terms of development and size, Kyle Jackson has managed to progress his play while playing in the OHL with North Bay. It's gotten him into conversations to be drafted after he had been passed over the past 2 drafts. The Ducks could grab him here, liking his size and overall depth.

Comparisonn: Victor Rask. With good size, Jackson likes to keep it simple, using his smarts and skill to produce. He isn't a speed burner, nor is he an overly physical guy, he likes to use his positioning to play his type of game.

140. New Jersey [from Columbus]: Damien Carfagna, D

The Devils have always been known to throw some picks at overagers and see how they develop. In this such instance, they could target Carfagna, who is a New Jersey native. Passed over last year, he's made successful strides in his play this year, which has gotten him on the board for a potential late pick.

Comparison: Ty Barrie. He's an undersized offensive defenseman that carries pucks well and can be counted on to provide scoring from the point.

141. New York Islanders: Zam Plante, LW

Playing for the successful Chicago Steel team, Zam Plante is highly regarded and could go anywhere from round 3-5. The only thing holding him back is his lack of size, with the Islanders willing to give him a shot, feeling as if he's the best player on the board.

Comparison: Andrew Cogliano. Blessed with non-stop compete and energy, Plante can be a speedy two-way forward that gives it his all for every shift he takes.

142. Ottawa [from Winnipeg]: Colton Smith, LW/RW

Being the current head coach's son has its perks; such as getting selected by his father's team in the 5th round. Furthermore, he plays the way that the Senators tend to like in their players.

Comparison: Givani Smmith. He's a big, physical winger that'll stand up for his teammates, work hard for pucks and can be a battler on the ice.

143. Vancouver: Theo Keilin, LW

Venturing back to Sweden, they take a chance on Theo Keilin, who's been littering the net with pucks as a goal scorer in the J20 ranks. Give him some time and see how he progress 3-5 years from now.

Comparison: Daniel Sprong. Keiling's a sniper with good speed and skill. He's a shoot-first type of player with potential to play around a bottom-nine.

144. Vegas: Benjamin King, RW/C

Ben King epitomizes the type of player Vegas likes to collect. Passed over in previous drafts, he's had an offensive explosion this year and looks like he has potential to become a valuable depth winger with strength, scoring and power.

Comparison: Warren Foegele. He profiles as a big forward that puts in the hard work, jams in pucks and can use his size to turn things in his favor.

145. Dallas: Kocha Delic, RW

The Stars often use the OHL to scrape talent from. Delic's a nice pick in this range. He seems like the type of guy they'd take a card out on in this range, hoping he pays off in the future.

Comparison: Mathieu Perreault. He's a small, speedy, tenacious winger with some playmaking talent and all-around ability. He probably has depth scoring potential.

146. Los Angeles: Miko Matikka, RW

Normally, the Kings grab a Finn or two during the draft. First, they went with Kokko, now they grab Matikka, if he's still available. It gives them another element of size and goal-scoring potential that you can never go wrong with.

Comparison: Dmitrj Jaskin. Matikka's a big winger with some issues in his skating speed and stride. Nonetheless, he can fire pucks pretty hard and could be a depth goal scorer.

147. Washington: Jace Weir, D

They return to the WHL where they select a RHD. It's a good move for depth, as Weir has potential to possibly turn into a bottom pairing type of defender. He's had a mixed season but the Caps bank on his potential.

Comparison: Cale Fleury. Weir's a prototypical western kid that likes to play a stay-at-home game, while also being physical and trying to maintain balance.

148. Nashville: Alex Bump, LW

He was a Mr. Hockey nominee and the captain for his high school hockey team. He went to the USHL and still produced for Omaha. He'll be going to university next year, with the Preds jumping on him here, feeling like he could be a player.

Comparison: Ryan Donato. Bump's got a good engine, works hard, can score goals, drive play and has some tenacious, two-way play. He may be someone that can provide depth scoring.

149. Edmonton: Tyson Jugnauth, D

A wild 5th round swing, with the Oilers looking for some offensive defenseman, they take a chance on Jugnauth, who's been playing in the BCHL, a lesser league. They'll hope he can eventually make it and maybe work powerplay duty. When you're in the 5th round, you're looking for guys that patch systemic holes and Jugnauth could be someone they want.

Comparison: Sean Durzi. He's what you think an offensive defenseman would be. Capable in terms of offense, limitations on defense. A guy that'll keep pucks in momentum up the ice.

150. St. Louis: Viktor Neuchev, LW/RW

With the Russian fear in play, Neuchev falls into the fifth round. Despite that, some outlets have him as a contender for the first 2 rounds. The Blues hope to walk away with a steal, as long as there's some resolution to the situation with the Russian players.

Comparison: Dominik Kubalik. Neuchev's a big winger that derives most of his offense from shooting and filling the net with a barrage of pucks.

151. Pittsburgh: Dominik Rymon, RW/LW

In the past, they've been known to flex their scouting ability by selecting some Euro talent. Someone like Rymon definitely feels like a Penguins pick as a player that can potentially translate, even if it's in a depth role.

Comparison: Rudolfs Balcers. He's a two-way, hard-working, energetic forward. Even if he isn't scoring, he's still working hard, trying to force turnovers and force the plays of opposition by battling for pucks.

152. Ottawa [from Boston]: Josh Davies, LW

A winger with as much drive and energy as Davies would definitely be welcomed to Ottawa's lineup, even if it's in a bottom-six role. Even with his lack of size, he plays the way they want to see their players play.

Comparison: Cal Clutterbuck. Small in stature, standing only 5'10", Davies hits like a truck, he agitates, he provides depth scoring. He's a hard-working, efficient forward that has good speed and can be a role player.

153. New York Rangers: Marek Hejduk, RW/LW

Hejduk is the son of former Colorado Avalanche star, Milan Hejduk. Since they're in contender mode, the Rangers grab him here, focusing their aim on the type of player that'll work hard and help you win during playoff games.

Comparison: Zack Aston-Reese. Hejduk isn't a super-skilled or flashy forward. Instead, he'll be someone that works hard on the ice and does the "diffcult" things well, ie: playing defense, blocking shots, playing with an engine, etc.

154. Anaheim [from Toronto]: Josh Filmon, LW/RW

He's a big western kid with potential. Based on that alone, he feels very much like an Anaheim type of selection. They'd be willing to give him some time to develop and wait and see what he turns into.

Comparison: Mason Appleton. A big winger that doesn't solely rely on his size. He can be a quick shooter and a play driver... albeit probably in a depth role.

155. Carolina: Beau Jelsma, LW

Jelsma is another member of the Barrie Colts that lands in Carolina's lap. He brings a lot of good tools in an undersized frame, making him an intriguing longterm option. For a late 5th, you're probably not going to get a well-rounded forward as good as him.

Comparison: Johan Larsson. A buzzing and energetic two-way forward that forechecks and backchecks hard. He's got decent enough skill and could be someone that progresses even moreso next year.

156. Colorado: Tnias Mathurin, LD

They grab another defenseman that's hard to play against. He may not be a "sexy" high upside pick, but the Avs feel like he's someone that can sooner slot in and play a needed role.

Compariosn: Luke Schenn. He's a big, physical defenseman. He's a shutdown type of guy that loves to throw the body and make life difficult for opponents.

157. Tampa Bay: Jakub Hujer, LW/RW

A big, tall Czech winger seems right up Tampa's alley. Even if he only turns into a defensive depth player, it's still a warm body that can help them win games. They go for a "warm" body type that can easily step in and contribute.

Comparison: Nick Paul. He's a big, defensive-minded forward that uses his size and stick-work to play a smart, defensive game.

158. Calgary: Grayden Siepmann, D

Fresh off a season with the Calgary Hitmen, Siepmann could find himself drafted by the Flames, who've surely gotten enough viewings of him. He's a high-risk/high0reward type of selection, where if they hit well on the defenseman, he could be something intriguing... or another bust. Either/or.

Comparison: Chris Wideman. He skates well, has good offensive ability and puck movement and control; and uses his speed to mobilize well up and down the ice.

159. Minnesota: Dmitri Buchelnikov, LW

Buchelnikov was passed over last year mainly due to the Russia factor and the fact that he's undersized. It's possible he gets passed on again... unless a savvy, smart team such as Minnesota takes a chance on him. He's got thrilling skill and upside and might be someone they're willing to wait on if/until he comes over.

Comparison: Evgenii Dadonov. Buchelnikov's a speedy, goal-scoring winger that can apply pressure off the rush and can be counted on to provide secondary offensive scoring.

160. Florida: Cedrick Guindon, LW/RW

Guindon's had a pretty strong second half of the year in the OHL. It might be enough to squeeze him in to the firs 5 rounds, size be damned. To be fair, the Panthers are probably more interested in the speed and skill he could bring.

Comparison: Alexandre Barre-Boulet. Standing only 5'10", Guindon will have to be at his best in terms of skill if he wants to make it. Thanks to his speed, he can be an effective depth scoring option.

Notable names just missing the cut, still on the board for rounds 6 and 7:

- Kirill Kundryatsev
- Arseni Koromyslov
- Cole Spicer
- Liam Arnsby
- Brady Berard
- Dylan Silverstein
- Matteus Soderbom
- Sergei Ivanov
- Helmer Styf
- Yoan Loshing
- Maros Jedlicka
- Matthew Ward
- Tim Almgren
- Hudson Thornton
- Joel Jonsson
- Jere Lassila
- Aidan Castle
- David Spacek
- Zach Bookman
- Tyler Dunbar
- Zack Lavoie
- Gibson Homer
- Maddox Fleming
- Karlis Mezsargs

SUMMARY

Anaheim:

---
11. Cutter Gauthier, LW
24. Sam Rinzel, RD
43. Danny Zhilkin, LW/C
55. Maveric Lamoureux, RD
107. Spencer Sova, LD
139. Kyle Jackson, LW/C
154. Josh Filmon, LW/RW

Arizona:
---
3. Logan Cooley, C
27. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW
28. Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW
33. Mats Lindgren, LD
37. Owen Beck, C
42. Tyler Brennan, G
45. Ty Nelson, RD
65. Kirill Dolzhenkov, LW/RW
129. Jake Livanavage, LD

Boston:
---
56. Michael Fisher, RD
94. Tucker Robertson, RW/C
120. Fabian Wagner, LW/RW

Buffalo:
---
8. Matthew Savoie, RW
16. Ryan Chesley, RD
32. Rutger McGroarty LW/C
40. Seamus Casey, RD
72. Servac Petrovsky, C
104. Brennan Ali, LW
132. Tyler Muszelik, G

Calgary:
---
62. Matthew Poitras, C/RW
158. Grayden Siepmann, RD

Carolina:
---
59. Jani Nyman, LW/RW
71. Hunter Haight, RW
123. Ruslan Gazizov, LW
155. Beau Jelsma, LW

Chicago:
---
31. Adam Ingram, RW/C
39. Jiri Kulich, LW/C
80. Lane Hutson, LD
85. Adam Sykora, LW/RW
90. Jack Devine, LW/RW

Colorado:
---
92. Nicholas Moldenauer, RW
156. Thias Mathurin, LD

Columbus:
---
7. Frank Nazar, RW/C
12. Pavel Mintyukov, LD
44. Gleb Trikozov, RW
93. Ryan Healey, RD
108. Evan Konyen, LW
122. Jan Spunar, G

Dallas:
---
17. Brad Lambert, RW/C
49. Matyas Sapovaliv, C
81. Matthew Semnoff, RW
113. Elias Pettersson, LD
145. Kocha Delic, RW

Detroit:
---
9. Marco Kasper, C
41. Filip Bystedt, C
51. Elias Salomonsson, RD
73. Ludwig Persson, LW
105. George Fegaras, RD
112. Ivan Zhigalov, G
124. Matthew Morden, LD
137. Brandon Lisowsky, LW

Edmonton:
---
21. Nathan Gaucher, C/RW
149. Tyson Jugnauth, LD

Florida:
---
96. Angus Booth, LD
128. Kasper Lundell, LW/RW
160. Cedrick Guindon, LW/RW

Los Angeles:
---
18. Liam Ohgren, LW
50. Michael Buchinger, LD
87. Jorian Donovan, LD
114. Niklas Kokko, G
146. Miko Matikka, RW

Minnesota:
---
47. Noah Ostlund, C/LW
63. Reid Schaefer, LW
95. Cole Knuble, RW
127. Chaz Lucius, RW
159. Dmitri Buchelnikov, LW

Montreal:
---
2. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
30. David Goyette, LW
34. Noah Warren, RD
53. Mattias Havelid, RD
66. Ryan Greene, C
75. Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, LW
91. Vinzenz Rohrer, RW
98. Ian Blomquist, G
121. Michael Mastrodomenico, RD
125. Grayson Badger, RW
130. Cameron Whitehead, G

Nashville:
---
20. Kevin Korchinski, LD
52. Rieger Lorenz, LW
82. Alexander Suzdalev, LW/RW
84. Gavin Hayes, RW
116. Kent Anderson, RD
148. Alex Bump, LW

New Jersey:
---
5. David Jiricek, RD
36. Alexander Perevalov, LW/RW
68. Bryce McConnell-Barker, LW
100. Jack Sparkes, RD
109. Pano Fimis, C/LW
117. Daimon Gardner, LW/C
140. Damien Carfagna, RD

New York Islanders:
---
13. Joakim Kemell, RW
60. Simon Forsmark, LD
77. Jordan Dumais, RW
141. Zam Plante, LW

New York Rangers:
---
25. Luca del Bel Belluz, C
110. Jackson Dorrington, LD
153. Marek Hejduk, LW/RW

Ottawa:
---
6. Conor Geekie, C
38. Cameron Lund, RW
61. Dylan James, LW/RW
70. Isaiah George, LD
88. Charlie Leddy, RD
134. Adam Engstrom, LD
142. Colton Smith, LW/RW
152. Josh Davies, LW

Philadelphia:
---
1. Shane Wright, C
69. Christian Kyrou, RD
101. Quinn Finley, LW
133. Jiri Hudler, LW

Pittsburgh:
---
23. Tristan Luneau, RD
119. Antonin Verreault, LW
151. Dominik Rymon, RW/LW

San Jose:
---
10. Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW/LW
74. Topi Ronni, C
106. Sandis Vilmanis, LW/RW
136. Liam Steele, RD
138. Logan Morrison, C

Seattle:
---
4. Simon Nemec, RD
35. Isaac Howard, LW
58. Jordan Gustafsson, LW/C
64. Julian Lutz, LW
67. Topias Leinonen, G
99. Mikey Milne, LW/RW
115. Ludvig Jansson, RD
126. Brayden Schuurman, RW
131. Jozef Viliam Kmec, RD

St. Louis:
---
22. Owen Pickering, LD
86. Otto Salin, RD
102. Jake Karabela, C/LW
118. Jake Furlong, LD
150. Viktor Neuchev, LW/RW

Tampa Bay:
---
29. Jagger Firkus, RW
103. Jeremy Langlois, LD
157. Jakub Hujer, LW/RW

Toronto:
---
26. Filip Mesar, LW/C
78. Vladimir Grudinin, LD

Vancouver:
---
15. Lian Bichsel, LD
79. Leo Gruba, RD
111. Artyom Duda, LD
143. Theo Keilin, LW

Vegas:
---
48. Calle Odelius, LD
89. Tomas Hamara, LD
135. Rylen Roersma, C/LW
144. Benjamin King, RW/C

Washington:
---
19. Danila Yurov, RW
46. Jack Hughes, C
83. Fraser Minten, C/RW
147. Jace Weir, RD

Winnipeg:
---
14. Denton Mateychuk, LD
54. Devin Kaplan, RW
57. Paul Ludwinski, LW/C
76. Kasper Kulonummi, RD
97. Filip Nordberg, LD

flyersdad

Jan 23, 2018
great job. I see you using my first two picks for the flyers in wright and kyrou

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
the amount of work you put into this is commendable. always look forward to your posts. great job again bud!

Reactions: uncleben

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
and your comparisons are really helpful.
Since you spent so much time and effort on this, I wanted to highlight a few comparisons that really stand out for being (in my mind, at least) spot on.

Wright-->Elias Lindholm
Kasper-->Danault I could see Kasper going this high and being an excellent middle-six two-way center
Salomonsson--<Schultz
Ronni--<Soderberg
Moldenhauer--<PItlick Moldenhauer could be a great pick in the 3rd/4th

Reactions: simonedvinsson

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve put into your list, thanks so much. As a Habs fan, I hope they can package a few picks to either get a player they like this year or get an extra pick or two for next year.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
This is my mock for Spring 2022. I may do one more during the playoffs; or I may wait until when the draft is closer, which would be a full 7 round mock.

NOTES:

- The draft order cut-off date is based on points as of Friday, April 8th. It's also a post-playoffs format, including divisional winners, conference finalists and Stanley Cup finalists at the bottom of each round. Since it's spring, I'm going to do 5 rounds total. I'll finish with a full 7 round mock sometime before the actual draft.

- It seems like a year in which divisional winners will probably advance pretty far in the playoffs. Therefore, in the East, I'm predicting Florida over Tampa Bay; meanwhile, in the West, I'm going with a surprising Minnesota team to go over Calgary in the Conference Finals. As for the Stanley Cup Finals itself, I'm predicting Florida goes over Minnesota to win it all.

- Obviously, comparisons aren't always going to be 100%. Not everyone is going to go on be the exact same as the person they're compared to; nor would I expect any of them to have the same type of career. However, when GMs are drafting, they're hoping to hit on 100% of their selections, even if the chances of that are not at all likely.

- There'll be a per-team summary at the end for the "tl,dr" crew.

- Ignore any typos, errors, etc.. Especially in the latter parts, where I noticed I had made a mistake in who I had drafted more than once and had to go back to edit, change things, paste and so on, which then affected other picks I had made. If things get a little murky, blame that.

- As for the lottery, my winners, via tankathon:

1. Philadelphia; 2. Montreal.

---

Round 1

1. Philadelphia:
Shane Wright, C

Even with guys nipping at his tail, Shane Wright remains the top player in the 2022 draft. If the Flyers get the pick, they'd grab Wright, giving them an immediate boost down the middle. Since the calendar turned to the year 2022, he's shown an improvement in production that has halted some concerns, prompting the Flyers to happily add him to further their rebuild now that they've traded away Claude Giroux, filling a serious need for centers.

Comparison: Elias Lindholm/Logan Couture. Wright has the ability to be a 30+ goal, 30+ assist, all-around center that does everything well. He's the type of player that won't really stand out with flashy skill; instead using his great positioning, playmaking, high hockey IQ and solid playmaking and shooting ability in order to produce. He's the type of player that helps you win championships.

2. Montreal: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW

After being named the MVP of the Olympics, Slafkovsky has rocketed to the top of draft lists, with the Habs excitedly taking him here in their hometown. He's followed his Olympic production over to league play in Finland, reinforcing the belief he could be a top player from the draft. They see a future line where he complements Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield, using his size and skill to help produce. In fact, if the Habs win the first overall selection, I could certainly see a scenario where he's their pick.

Comparison: Blake Wheeler/Anders Lee type of hybrid player. While I don't know if he'll ever see the career highs in points that Wheeler did, he could be someone that hits 65-70+ with good linemates. He's got the potential to be a skilled, possession-driving power winger that can come off the wall and provide offense, while also being a beast in the corners and in front of the net, plowing over competition.

3. Arizona: Logan Cooley, C

With Arizona's need for centers, Cooley is perfect for them at third overall. If he were any taller, he'd probably be able to overtake Shane Wright as the top player in the draft. Alas, he stands only 5'10", which allows another non-lottery team to take a chance on him. With 3 first rounders, they can swing on the best player available for their first pick and then build from there.

Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen/Jaden Schwartz, but a center version of them. Not a big guy, he's a high-compete, two-way center with dynamic speed, versatility and play-driving transition ability that should allow him to be a threat on both the powerplay, penalty kill and 5-on-5.

4. Seattle: Simon Nemec, D

The Kraken are a team that's heavily driven by analytics and have a wealth of talent dedicated to their European scouting. Nemec makes sense for them here, especially with his play this year. Last year, they got a top 6 center, now they aim for a defenseman by taking Nemec. Even though he didn't have as great of a showing at the Olympics as Juraj Slafkovsky, it's still impressive that he made the team.

Comparison: Andrei Markov. Nemec's ability to add offense with his passing and transition skill is top notch. He can analyze offensive situations and use this to keep the puck in momentum, allowing him to play an all-around game with sound decision making. Like Markov, he isn't an elite skater, nor does he possess a huge shot or immense defensive play, instead making up for it with his hockey IQ and vision.

5. New Jersey: David Jiricek, D

Jiricek's still injured and has been since the World Juniors, so he hasn't had the chance to prove his merit. However, if he was currently playing, it's likely he could have put himself in the position to be a top pick. The good news is that he's been named to the Czech national team, where he could get in some games and demonstrate his worth. He could become the perfect partner for Luke Hughes.

Comparison: He's kind of a Moritz Seider/Mikhail Sergachev type. Depending on how his return and progress from his knee injury, he could find himself drafted early. Jiricek's a very active mobile defenseman that's big in size, who also has a mean streak and an added offensive flair in his game, thanks to his bomb of a point shot. He's stellar at shutting down play and declining offensive zone entries, as well.

6. Ottawa: Conor Geekie, C

In my mind, it'll come down to Conor Geekie or Joakim Kemell for the Senators pick. With Geekie being a 6'4"/6'5" kid coming from the WHL and Kemell being on the smaller side, my inclination is that Ottawa would lean in Geekie's direction, especially with their pressing need for center, along with their love of size. They're a team that bets on size and they take a swing on Geekie within the top 5, even if I, personally, wouldn't do it.

Comparison: Ryan Johansen. Finding a perfect comparable for Geekie is hard. He's big, he's got good skill, yet he battles inconsistency. He may be more of a 2nd line center that can help with offense. Either way, he goes through hot and cold spurts and has a lot of work to do on his skating. He'll be a project for sure, but he does have a high ceiling.

7. Columbus [from Chicago]: Frank Nazar, RW

The Blue Jackets's motto is all about finding the right guy, not necessarily the best guy. In this case, Frank Nazar could really be of interest. He'll be going to the University of Michigan, ala Kent Johnson, and they could really like that and love his overall offensive upside, thinking he'd go great alongside either Johnson or Cole Sillinger.

Comparison: Clayton Keller. Nazar's a tenacious, all-out offensive forward with excellent hands and tantalizing skill. He may not be the biggest, making up for it with his wiry play and vision.

8. Buffalo: Matthew Savoie, RW/C

With their first selection, the Sabres could be interested in taking the best player left on the board. There's ample reason to believe that Savoie could be that guy. It'd give the Sabres more speed and skill upfront, which seems like something they'd be interested in, given they're current push towards analytics. The only thing holding him back would be his lack of size, which could push him down the board and have him taken later than where he deserves to go.

Comparison: Something between a Kirill Kaprizov and Matt Duchene, with probably an inkling towards the latter. Vastly undersized, yet sturdly built thanks to a strong lower base, Savoie has one of the highest offensive ceilings in the draft. Concerns over his size and lack of 5-on-5 production and defensive ability may cause him to drop out of the top 10, which is great for whatever team that drafts him.

9. Detroit: Marco Kasper, C

For now, I'll go wild with a kind of off-the-board pick for Detroit. The Rogle path he's taking is surely something they're quite familiar with and probably love. They put a lot of trust in their European scouting and if Hakan Andersson gives him a thumbs up, they may just jump on him, either via a trade back scenario or just straight up select him right here at 9th overall, with their need for centers being tantamount.

Comparison: Phillip Danault. Kasper's got the size and projectability of a modern day center. He plays a very sound, well-rounded, two-way game with some grit thrown in for good measure. He's someone that'll do all kinds of hard work to help win games.

10. San Jose: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW/LW

The idea of reuniting Lekkerimaki with current Sharks prospect, William Eklund, is too much to pass on. They've been killing it on a line together over in Sweden, thus they hope to keep their chemistry intact, which should help with both of their transition. Plus having another sniper is never a bad idea.

Comparison: Jeff Skinner. Like Skinner, Lekkerimaki's an undersized winger with a deadly threat. He's a quick fire shooter that challenges Joakim Kemell as the best pure sniper in the draft, while also having good skating and playmaking ability.

11. Anaheim: Cutter Gauthier, LW/C

It wouldn't shock me to find Cutter Gauthier in the top 10 come draft day. If not, he could go here. I think he'll have a big rise, much like Mason McTavish last year. Also, much like McTavish, he lands in the lap of the Anaheim Ducks, which seems like a perfect fit. You could either pair him with McTavish to make a punishing duo; or you could pair him with Trevor Zegras to be his triggerman and create some space. Either way, it's a good match.

Comparison: Chris Kreider. Due to his physicality, goal-scoring and speed, Something like a Chris Kreider could be a good comparison. Some have said he is a Tkachuk-like, which is possible. He's someone you could potentially throw into a top six in a complementary role, crashing and banging to create space.

12. Columbus: Pavel Mintyukov, D

They picked 2 forwards with their selections last year. They also picked a forward in Frank Nazar for their first selection this year. It's time they go for D, as they add Mintyukov, who's been propelling himself up draft lists thanks to his play in the OHL. The fear over the Russian factor isn't as intense as it is with him, as he's been playing in North America, so they're more open to picking him in this spot, feeling like he'd be the guy that'd play a similar role to Seth Jones when he was with them.

Comparison: Thomas Chabot. Mintyukov is a hard player to peg down. For me, I kind of have him compared to a Thomas Chabot in that he's an offensive defenseman that loves jumping in to the play and eating up a lot of minutes. That said, there's still areas he needs to work on, especially in terms of defense. Overall, he's got upside as a possible top 3 defenseman for his team.

13. New York Islanders: Joakim Kemell, RW

Kemell could be this year's faller... or he could go in the #9 spot, if a team decides to trade with Detroit. Either way, I'll make things fun and have Kemell land in the Islanders' lap. Of course, things could change if he returns to the form he had at the start of the season when he was on fire and putting up record-breaking numbers, unlike his current post-injury form where he has been less hard on the puck and hasn't been producing.

Comparison: TJ Oshie, with an upside of David Pastrnak. A pure sniper, Kemell's got some added tenacity in his game. Also as a sniper, he's a shot-generating machine, shooting often - and from everywhere - in order to produce.

14. Winnipeg: Denton Mateychuk, D

Even though they have great European scouting, the Jets decide to go local and grab whom they feel is the best player available. This, of course, could be Mateychuk, who, as stated, is Winnipeg born and bred and is seeing his stock rise with his stellar play throughout the season.

Comparison: PK Subban/Devon Toews type of offensive defenseman. Mateychuk's a slick, skilled offensive defenseman that likes to jump into the play, while keeping things calm, smooth and steady. He skates incredibly well, allowing him to keep up with the pace of play and shows some all-around potential.

15. Vancouver: Lian Bichsel, D

Could they trade back and grab him? Maybe. However, since there's no trades in my mocks, I'll have the Canucks straight up selecting the huge Swiss defenseman here. They have a pressing need for defense, especially for a player that can play on the right side, such as Bichsel can do (even though he's a leftie). It might be bit of a reach, but the Canucks have been known to like talent developing with the Leksand team in Sweden.

Comparison: Nicolas Hague. Bichsel is a huge, 6'5" physical beast. He loves laying the body and plowing into competition. There may also be some hidden offensive talent, especially in terms of his big shot from the point, which could allow him to play an all-around role as well as a shutdown.

16. Buffalo [from Vegas]: Ryan Chesley, D

The Sabres are in need of a right-handed defenseman to pair alongside either Rasmus Dahlin or Owen Power. They'd figure Chesley is the perfect partner for them, allowing him to play a more defensive, stay-at-home game, while his partners can play the uptempo offensive game. He feels like the type of defenseman that could go higher than expected due to how translatable he is.

Comparison: Think of him as a Ryan McDonagh/Ryan Pulock-like type of defense. He's got a booming shot, skates really well, physicality and knows how to close gaps and shut close off entries. He's more of a solid complementary type of defenseman that'd go well with a more offensive-leaning guy.

17. Dallas: Brad Lambert, RW/C

The Stars have always shown an affinity for drafting Finns in the past. Why stop now? Lambert is a big swing for the fences for them, with the expectation being that he can meet his overall upside over time. Coming into the year, he was expected to be on pace with Shane Wright for first overall. Unfortunately, it hasn't been an easy or good year for him, hence his drop down the board and into the hands of the Stars.

Comparison: Ales Hemsky. To me, there's a lot of Hemsky to his game. Lambert's a puck-carrier and loves to have it on his stick -- sometimes to a detriment. To add to that, he's got blazing speed and can be a force on transition, weaving around opponents in order to produce and setup plays.

18. Los Angeles: Liam Ohgren, LW

Historically speakiing, the Kings have always valued drafting from Sweden. They could probably add another scoring forward for the future, especially someone that's been tearing up the J20 league over there. Someone such as Ohgren would probably look good flanked alongside Quinton Byfield, thus they target him here, hoping he can at least turn into a well-rounded, middle-six scoring threat.

Comparison: Tyler Bertuzzi. A plug-and-play type of winger that can easily fit onto any line, in any situation. He uses his speed to help with his offense, allowing him to use both his goal scoring and playmaking to put up points. He's someone that has a pretty high floor, even if his upside isn't truly elite.

19. Washington: Danila Yurov, RW

With fears over a new Iron Curtain coming down, it's to be expected that Russian players could see a fall in the draft. Yurov could be the first of those potential players affected off the board, with the Capitals willing to take the risk here, hoping their long tradition of playing and developing Russians can work in their favor. If so, it'd be a huge boost to their forward core, possibly walking away with a huge steal.

Comparison: Pavel Buchnevich. He's a well-rounded forward with lots of versatility in his game. He can be a scorer, a playmaker and even two-way threat, with potential to even slot down the middle, if need be.

20. Nashville: Kevin Korchinski, D

Roman Josi isn't getting any younger. They're eventually going to need a replacement for him, with the Preds hedging their bets on Korchinski becoming that guy. He's had a steady increase in production and it's prompted him to leap up draft boards, with Nashville hoping he can keep developing.

Comparison: Something between a Shea Theodore and Jake Gardiner, with Theodore being his upside. He has a lot of similar traits as a young Theodore, including positioning and defensive issues, but he's got good size, moves the puck with ease and can be counted on an offensive catalyst from the back.

21. Edmonton: Nathan Gaucher, C/RW

With the high contracts of McDavid and Draisaitl, they'll need need players that can contribute on entry-level deals. Nathan Gaucher is that type of player, plus he tends to be the type of player that the Oilers love. They've drafted a fair bit from the Q in recent history; and they definitely love players with some size and meanness in them. He might just be the type of guy they'd love to add.

Comparison: Marcus Foligno. While Gaucher may not be an offensive dynamo, he's the type of power forward that can definitely fill a role at the pro level. He can crash, bang and bully other plays around to force turnovers, while also displaying good two-way, defensive skill.

22. St. Louis: Owen Pickering, D

A few years ago, they won the Cup off the back of their large, mobile defenseman. They try to replicate that and rebuild their blueline by taking Pickering in this spot. Pickering's developing in the WHL and is still quite raw. In a perfect world, they give him a few years and see how well his game has grown.

Comparison: Travis Sanheim. A big, mobile defenseman with two-way skill that can keep pucks in motion, while also having good overall upside. Standing 6'4", he's got good potential, it just depends on if he has the consistency to reach it or not.

23. Pittsburgh: Tristan Luneau, D

Kris Letang's a free agent this summer. They're going to need some more bodies on the backend for the future. Adding someone such as Luneau might be a smart move, especially since they genuinely love drafting heavily from the QMJHL. He came into this season with high expectations that he hasn't met for various reasons, with the Pens giving him a shot here.

Comparison: Matt Niskanen. While Luneau's production hasn't been there this season, there may be concerns over his overall offensive upside... but then again, Gatineau plays a defense-first style, so maybe there's something there. His upside is probably something like a Niskanen, who was a similar defenseman that kept things calm, safe and reliable, but was also capable of putting up some points.

24. Anaheim [from Boston]: Sam Rinzel, D

Coming from high school hockey, the Rinzel pick has a bit of risk to it. That said, after trading away Hampus Lindholm and Josh Manson, they may want to add a few more bodies to their defensive lineup. They've shown a liking towards Americans in the past and the same thing holds true here, with the Ducks adding Rinzel to the right side of their blueline.

Comparison: Alex Edler. Rinzel's a big boy that skates real well. If he hits his upside, he could become a top four defenseman that adds speed, offense, physicality and two-way ability from the back.

25. New York Rangers: Luca del Bel Belluz, C

In need of center prospects, the Rangers take the best center on the board. It could be a good one, too, if De Bel Belluz continues progressing at the rate he's shown. He looks like he could compete for a middle-six spot someday, which would be fine for the Rangers, who have a pretty strong core at every other position.

Comparison: Derek Stepan, with a little more height. Like Stepan, Del Bel Belluz isn't the swiftest skater, so he won't be winning any skating contests. Instead, he brings a competitive, two-way game, along with some good shooting and playmaking skill. He's a well-rounded forward, who could develop into a middle-six center some day.

26. Toronto: Filip Mesar, RW/C

Mesar's fresh off an impressive showing during the Slovakian playoffs. The only reason he could fall into the late first is due to lack of size. If so, it'd be for the Leafs' gain. It'd give them a versatile, Swiss Army Knife type of forward that can play any role, while also having good offensive instincts.

Comparison: Jesper Bratt. Mesar's an undersized Slovakian forward with blazing speed, skill and all-around ability. Thanks to his speed and skill, he can be counted on to provide secondary scoring, while also filling in on any line providing excellent two-way play and gutsiness.

27. Arizona [from Carolina]: Jimmy Snuggerud, RW

After grabbing Logan Cooley earlier with their first pick, they take his U18 linemate, Jimmy Snuggerud, with their next selection. They've shown good chemistry together and they'd love to be able to keep that alive and develop it for the team. Not to mention that Snuggerud's also a big bodied kid, which new GM, Bill Armstrong, tends to lean towards.

Comparison: Brandon Saad. Snuggerud is a sniping goal-scorer with good all-around ability. Despite not being a great skater, he's someone that can work his way into the danger areas and use his shooting skills to put pucks into the net.

28. Arizona [from Colorado]: Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW

Miroshnichenko began the season battling with Shane Wright for the top spot in the draft. Unfortunately, a multitude of issues has plagued him, resulting in him falling. There's the Russian and entire geopolitical factor; there's his inconsistent play this year; there's him getting dropped from the Russian WJC team; and now, there's the fact that he's been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lympoma, which could keep him out for a year. Therefore, with a plethora of picks dispersed throughout the draft, a team such as Arizona could step up and take a swing for the fences with Miro, hoping he can fully recover and become a net positive asset.

Comparison: Evander Kane. He's a speedy, physical and mercurial power winger that loves flinging pucks on the net. He can be a prime goal scorer at his best, while a floater at worst. It remains to be seen just how his health goes from here and how long he will be recovering.

29. Tampa Bay: Jagger Firkus, RW

The Bolts have drafted a lot of kids from the WHL as of late. Firkus could be another kid that catches their eye, especially after the CHL Top Prospects Game in which he was named one of the stars. It certainly helps that he feels like one of the high-upside picks that Tampa loves betting on.

Comparison: Troy Terry. Firkus is 5'10" and approximately 150-160 pounds, so he'll need to put on some weight. Something like Troy Terry is his possible upside. Basically, an offensive winger that can score and make plays in a top six.

30. Montreal [from Calgary]: David Goyette, LW/C

The draft is being held in Montreal. He's a local Quebecois kid. It seems reasonable to think that maybe they'd take a chance on him here. He's been fast rising after his production exploded since the start of 2022. It'd give the local fans something to cheer for on draft day, while simultaneously taking a player who also matches their new GM, Kent Hughes's motto for speed and skill.

Comparison: Jordan Kyrou. One of the best skaters in the draft, there's an aura of dynamism in Goyette's game. He's a crafty, skilled forward that can use his speed to be a danger at both ends of the ice, including on a penalty kill and transitioning pucks up the ice.

31. Chicago [from Minnesota]: Adam Ingram, RW/C

The Blackhawks are only able to get this pick by proxy of my prediction of the Wild making the Conference Finals and then the finals. As such, they take a chance on the big forward, Adam Ingram, who's been tearing up the USHL this season, with the Hawks liking his versatility, smarts and offensive ability.

Comparison: Drake Batherson. He's a forward with an impressive blend of size and skill. He can snipe the puck as well as he can setup plays. He'll need to work on skating and consistency if he wants to make it, however.

32. Buffalo [from Florida]: Rutger McGroarty, LW/C

They've taken their share of American forwards in the past. McGroarty seems like someone that'd fit in to the kind of high-IQ game that they're hunting for. The only thing that could hold him back is his poor skating. Otherwise, he's a gritty player with some good hockey smarts and goal scoring ability.

Comparison: Andrew Brunette. McGroarty has some real sloppy skating. If he can improve it, he could outshine his draft position. Despite that huge negative, he knows how to fire pucks, can make plays and he can be a feisty, physical forward with high IQ, knowing how to put up offense. At his best, he probably turns out similar to how Andrew Brunette played.

======

Round 2

33. Arizona:
Mats Lindgren, D

The Coyotes's Shane Doan has connections to the Kamloops Blazers, which means they surely have seen and know a lot about Mats Lindgren. Namely his ability to carry the puck and be a puck-moving defenseman. His birthday isn't until August, which means he's still young for the draft, giving him plenty of time for development and growth. They take him early, thereby kicking off the 2nd day of the draft.

Comparison: Filip Hronek. Puck-movement and skating is Lindgren's speciality. He can turn the jets on and rush up ice with the puck, playing a well-rounded game. While I'm not sure how high is upside is, something like a Filip Honek could be a good comparable in that he's an offensive-leaning guy with great mobility.

34. Montreal: Noah Warren, D

The Habs again go local. This time, they target the big, physical defenseman that's playing in Gatineau, Noah Warren. He's from just 30 minutes outside of Montreal and it'll be a clear swerve away from the previous regime's decision to stay away from local talents. He, along with David Goyette, can help be a part of the team's future. Not burn until July, he's got tons of development left and he also skates well for his size, which is what new GM, Kent Hughes, likes to see.

Comparison: Scott Mayfield. A big, mean, physical defenseman with excellent skating ability, Warren's got decent transition ability for a big man and can be the type of defenseman that makes your life miserable to play against.

35. Seattle: Isaac Howard, LW

After grabbing the defenseman, Simon Nemec, with their first selection, the Kraken go for some upfront skill for their next pick. Howard's lack of size could keep him out of the first round... but he's got some upside as a versatile scoring winger.

Comparison: Jordan Eberle. He's an undersized winger with some average-to-decent skating, that can act as a sniper or as a setup man. He can be a versatile guy that can get shifted around a top 9 to add some offense.

36. New Jersey: Alexander Perevalov, LW/RW

If Perevalov's on the board, the Devils would be thrilled. He's just the type of winger that they'd love to add, feeling he'd make a perfect complement to someone such as Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier. With the current political climate, it might allow some teams such as the Devils to walk out with some steals.

Comparison: Justin Williams. Perevalov is a gritty winger with some offensive skill. He battles hard for pucks, has some all-around skill and can be a hard-working force when on the ice.

37. Arizona [from Philadelphia]: Owen Beck, C

It's another center for the Coyotes's core. Beck's been impressive in the OHL this year, showing great metrics at both ends of the ice. While his overall upside may be minimal, he does a lot of good things and can do a lot of the heavy lifting at center, which might pique the interest of Arizona.

Comparison: Adam Henrique. Beck may not be an elite, top line center. He's moreso an effective, well-rounded Swiss Army Knife type of center that can use his speed, hockey sense and two-way ability help his team win. He boasts a pretty good, accurate shot and it should help him create some offense in a depth role.

38. Ottawa: Cameron Lund, RW

He seems like a very Ottawa style pick to me. Therefore, he goes a little earlier than expected. They tend to love drafting from American systems and he could bring a power-scoring element to the team. They'd surely be interested.

Comparison: Yegor Sharangovich. A big winger with some finesse, some skill and plays a bit of a power game. He's got the potential to become a versatile scoring winger with some skill and size.

39. Chicago: Jiri Kulich, LW/C

The Hawks are known for scouting the Europeans quite hard. Kulich is thought of as a first rounder on some lists. He's dropped a little due to inconsistent play, but I could see him highly valued by certain teams. He aspires to be a well-rounded forward that the Hawks can throw into multiple roles.

Comparison: Ondrej Palat. Kulich's a toolsy Czech forward that's versatile and able to play in multiple roles. He likes to power his way to the middle and goes to the danger areas in order to compete. He's a dual-threat type of player.

40. Buffalo: Seamus Casey, D

Casey could be someone that splits the opinions of scouts. He's got the two-way talents, skating and upside of a top 20 selection. Unfortunately, his size is an issue. It may result in him falling into the 2nd round, where the Sabres jump on him, feeling like he'd be a great depth player to play alongside Power or Dahlin.

Comparison: Samuel Girard. Casey's a coveted right-handed defenseman that has good mobility and skating. His hockey sense is also quite high, which enables him to be excellent in terms of transitioning pucks up the ice and starting up offensive plays.

41. Detroit: Filip Bystedt, C

The Wings go to Sweden again. This time, they target the big center, Filip Bystedt. It covers their need for center depth, with the Wings really wanting to hit that area steadily. Bystedt's been on an upward trajectory, especially with his play as of late. If he's still there, they'd be content to grab him.

Comparison: Roope Hintz. Bystedt's a big, 6'3"/6'4" forward that can play center, who can do a little of everything, including dispense the puck and create plays. He could make an intriguing middle-six player on his size alone.

42. Arizona [from San Jose]: Tyler Brennan, G

It's a little high for Brennan, but the Coyotes take their shot here, wanting to add a goalie to the mix. He was an Arizona Coyotes fan while growing up and it gives them incentive to take a chance on him here.

Comparison: Mackenzie Blackwood. Not sure if Brennan ever turns into a true top goaltending starter at the problem, but there's still some potential in his game. He's done an "okay" job for this season, albeit it hasn't been lights out. A longterm project.

43. Anaheim: Danny Zhilkin, LW/C

A good transition forward would be a nice pickup for the Ducks's depth in the 2nd round. Zhilkin fits the bill as someone that could fill any role, with potential middle-six upside as a versatile forward with some skill.

Comparison: Andre Burakovsky. Zhilkin's a verastile forward, who likely fills a role as a winger at the pro level. He's great at transporting pucks up the ice and gaining entry, having good hands and skills overall. He's even played defense for a little bit, as well.

44. Columbus: Gleb Trikozov, RW

The Blue Jackets seem like the type that'd take the risk on some Russians. They've done so in the past and they go for a huge coup here with Trikozov, who absolutely has first round talent. While the current Russia-Ukraine thing is scary, it remains to be seen how things will be in 2-3 years, when he is ready to make the jump.

Comparison: Phil Kessel. Trikozov is an all-offense winger that shines with plenty of skill and talent. He's got great speed and can setup plays as well as he can wire pucks. A very good offensive talent.

45. Arizona [from New York Islanders]: Ty Nelson, D

With a load of pucks, the Coyotes can afford to take a chance on Ty Nelson, who's another guy that has first round level of skill. The only thing that drops him is his 5'9"/5'10" height... albeit, it's a thick 5'9"/5'10". For a 2nd round selection, it's a great swing for the fence type of selection, which could be a homerun.

Comparison: He's sort of a James Wisniewski/Torey Krug combination. He's somewhere within the vicinity of 5'8" to 5'10", but can play a physical game due to his overall body strength. He's got a bomb of a shot, too, as evidenced in a viral moment this year, when he split the puck in two after hammering it at the net.

46. Washington [from Winnipeg]: Jack Hughes, C

Aside from Danila Yurov falling in their lap, the Capitals have been drafting a lot from North America as of late. If Jack Hughes is on the board, it gives them a center that gives them depth down the middle. He could come in and eventually play in a potential middle-six role once Backstrom and/or Eller move on.

Comparison: Chandler Stephenson. Hughes is a versatile, playmaking center that can do a little bit of everything. He's someone that could go anywhere from the late first to the mid second and can play a well-rounded game down the middle.

47. Minnesota [from Vancouver]: Noah Ostlund, C/LW

The Wild are a team that relies heavily on analytics. I could definitely see them drafting Ostlund if he's available. The only thing keeping him out of the first round is his lack of size. Otherwise, his pure playmaking skill will make them very happy, especially if he gets to play with Kirill Kaprizov.

Comparison: Mikael Granlund. Ostlund's a smart playmaking forward that may be a little undersized, yet makes up for it with his absurdly high hockey IQ. His lack of physicality and perimeter play might keep him out of the first round, even though there's plenty of skill within his game.

48. Vegas: Calle Odelius, D

Vegas could use some more depth on the blueline. If Odelius is somehow still there, he might make an okay fit. He'd got the potential to become a valuable middle pairing defender, which is something you can't go wrong with at this point of the draft.

Comparison: TJ Brodie. Odelius is a strong skater that can keep pucks in motion up the ice, while playing a well-rounded, two-way game. He can be a guy that plays a "safe" type of game, which is perfectly adequate.

49. Dallas: Matyas Sapovaliv, C

The Stars love drafting players from the OHL. They also love players with size. Put those 2 things together and it adds up to Sapovaliv, who's had himself an interesting season. At minimum, he increases Dallas's depth at center, which is much needed.

Comparison: Artem Anisimov. Sapovaliv's a 6'4"+ center with a long, active stick that can use it to shutdown play, strip pucks and brings a well-rounded game. Even if he only turns into a bottom-six guy due to poor skating, he's still a useful guy that can be placed on a penalty kill to shutdown opposition.

50. Los Angeles: Michael Buchinger, D

The Kings have been finding some good talent in the OHL as of late. Buchinger could be another one. He's got the potential to become a solid, playmaking, puck-moverfrom the point, which is always valuable.

Comparison: Vince Dunn. Probably not a true high-end guy. More of a guy that makes the simple play, keeps pucks in motion up the ice, sets up play and can be a bottom four type of defenseman that plays on a 2nd PP.

51. Detroit [from Washington]: Elias Salomonsson, D

His D-1 season was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately for him, he's kind of flatlined this year and hasn't shown the same potential that he did last year. If their European scouting can sense they can figure him out and address the issues plaguing him, I could see them certainly taking him in this range.

Comparison: Justin Schultz. Last year, he looked destined to be a top 10 pick. However, he's been less consistent this year and less active offensively. His upside is in question; but maybe he turns into something like a Justin Schultz -- a two-way guy that can also add some depth offense.

52. Nashville: Rieger Lorenz, LW/C

This western Canadian kid has been tearing up the AJHL this year and will be headed to Denver next season to attend university. To me, that sounds like a developmental approach that the Preds usually tend to like. They'll hope his progress can continue and he can develop into a guy that plays around their bottom nine.

Comparison: Scott Laughton. Lorenz is a versatile, speedy guy with some tenacity in his game. He goes to the dirty areas in order to produce and can be counted on to become a complementary player.

53. Montreal [from Edmonton]: Mattias Havelid, D

One of Montreal's biggest needs for the future is someone that can add offense from the backend. By taking Havelid, they throw a dart at this area, hoping it lands. Previous regimes haven't had much success with Swedes; but with a whole new management core, it's worth a shot to right things in that area.

Comparison: Adam Boqvist. Havelid's an offensive defenseman that stands only 5'10", which could affect his overall draft position. He boasts a heavy shot from the point and lots of offenive cues, making him a dangerous offensive threat.

54. Winnipeg [from St. Louis]: Devin Kaplan, RW

They've found some talent from American systems in the past. They stick with what they know and take Kaplan, feeling as if he'd make an interesting power winger for them. He's been playing for the American U18 team, which should absolutely get him enough views to be taken within the first 2 rounds.

Comparison: Tanner Jeannot. Kaplan's a sizeabl, 6'3" winger with power forward tendencies and some skill. He can hit, grind it out and also provide some depth offense, proving to be a good asset to have.

55. Anaheim [from Pittsburgh]: Maveric Lamoureux, D

The Ducks have always grabbed a few Q players in the recent past. They get the gigantic Lamoureux to help build upon that, giving their RHD more depth. Like their Rinzel pick, he wouldn't have to focus on becoming a #1 defenseman. Instead, they leave that to Drysdale and let Lamoureux develop at his own pace and get used to playing with his size.

Comparison: Jamie Oleksiak. Lamoureux's a huge, 6'7" defenseman that uses his size and reach to lean on opponents to shut them down. His puck skills are lacking; therefore, he'll never be an offensive guy.

56. Boston: Michael Fisher, D

The Bruins always love taking kids that are local. He's been playing prep school in Massachusetts this past year and I'm sure he's caught their eye. They jump on him here, loving his combination of size and offensive ability from the back. He might be someone that pays off over time.

Comparison: Will Borgen. Fisher's a 6'3" kid that moves well and can apply offense from the back. He'll be a project with a lot of upside if he can hit his top end.

57. Winnipeg [from New York Rangers]: Paul Ludwinski, LW/C

The Jets grab the best player available here in Ludwinski. His energetic play and overall smarts could see him land at center for the Jets. Otherwise, thanks to his strong play along the boards, he could also be a thrifty and swift winger. In any event, it's a good swing for the Jets.

Comparison: Bryan Rust. Not the biggest guy, Ludwinski's tenacious on the forecheck and brings solid well-rounded play. He's one of the hardest workers in the draft and can be a complementary forward.

58. Seattle [from Toronto]: Jordan Gustafson, LW/C

Going local, the Kraken turn towards their local WHL team and take Jordan Gustafson. It'll allow them to develop him under their nose, giving them someone that has potential to develop into a depth forward that can play in a bottom-nine.

Comparison: Artturi Lehkonen. He's a hard-working, competitive forward that can score goals and play multiple roles for his team. He may be more of a utility guy with some well-rounded skill that still needs to work on developing his skating.

59. Carolina: Jani Nyman, LW/RW

Notorious for their love of Finnish players, the Hurricanes nab Jani Nyman at this point of the draft. At minimum, he gives them more size and some skill upfront, which wouldn't be so bad since they have a lot of shorter, skilled guys on the way.

Comparison: Mason Marchment. Nyman's a big, physical winger that skates well for his size and can unleash a torrent of shots on the net. He profiles as a complementary piece going forward -- someone you can add onto a skilled line to create some space.

60. New York Islanders [from Colorado]: Simon Forsmark, D

If Forsmark's still there, he might be a wise pickup for the Islanders, who decide to take whomever they feel is the best player available. They've got some contracts coming up in the next year or two. It might be smart to take someone like Forsmark, who probably isn't too far away from competing, even if it's in a bottom pairing role.

Comparison: John Marino. Forsmark's a positionally-sound defender that likes to play a calm, easy-going game. He likely won't be a guy that adds loads of offense, opting to play a more defense-oriented game. That said, he can still pass pucks and move it up the ice.

61. Ottawa [from Tampa Bay]: Dylan James, LW

The Sens absolutely love drafting players attending the University of North Dakota, which is where James is headed next year. He's flown up draft boards due to tearing up the USHL, leaping to the top of rookie scoring. It's another boost of their winger depth.

Comparison: Anthony Duclair. James has strong bursts of speed, which he can use to put up points. He can become a dangerous offensive threat if paired on the right lines.

62. Calgary: Matthew Poitras, C/RW

If the Flames could land a Matthew Poitras late in the 2nd, they'd probably be quite content. Whether he can play on the wing or at center remains to be determined, with the Flames liking he could fill any role given to him.

Comparison: Ryan Callahan. Brimming with captain material, Poitras is the type of player that can wear his heart on his sleeve and help his team win games. He's a tireless forechecker that works hard on the ice and away from the puck, doing his best to play a well-rounded game.

63. Minnesota: Reid Schaefer, LW

The Wild seem intent on adding some size and physicality. In that case, Schaefer might be someone that they introduce to their core. He's a big, mean, physical, two-way winger that has potted 30+ goals in the WHL this year. He might be too tantalizing for the Wild to pass on.

Comparison: Pat Maroon. He's big, physical and has some all-around ability. The one thing that holds him back and keeps him from being taken higher is his lack of foot speed. Otherwise, he may be kept to a bottom-six role.

64. Seattle [from Florida]: Julian Lutz, LW

They've got some good European scouting. The German forward came into the year thought of as a potential first rounder. Unfortunately, injuries have kept him out for the year, only to have recently returned. He's still been shaking off the cobwebs, with Seattle selecting him here, hoping to walk away with a late 2nd round steal.

Comparison: Miles Wood. As long as he can bounce back from his injury, he can become a speedy, aggressive winger that's nasty on the forecheck and has solid work ethic. He's got potential to be a middle-six type of winger.

======

ROUND 3

65. Arizona:
Kirill Dolzhenkov, LW/RW

Swinging on size, the Coyotes take Dolzhenkov, who's shown impressive speed and talent for a man of his size. The Russian factor is there, keeping him in the third round, with the Coyotes willing to give him a shot due to the amount of picks in their possesson.

Comparison: Jordan Greenway. Dolzhenkov's a 6'7" winger that moves and skates incredibly well for his size. Thanks to his reach and power, he can oversize and out-work combatants, allowing him to plow his way to the net and add offense.

66. Montreal: Ryan Greene, C

It's another center for the Habs, who might want to keep that area stocked well. He even has fantastic skating, which definitely ticks the box of what they want in their players. He'll be going to Boston University, a system that they're well aware of, hoping he can develop into a well-rounded type.

Comparison: Chris Tierney. Greene's a speedy center with some playmaking ability. He will be at his best when using his skating and speed to cut down the middle and to play a two-way game. He's probably more of a bottom six type of center with occasional bursts of creativity.

67. Seattle: Topias Leinonen, G

Their goalie depth could be ignited a little more. They take the huge Finnish kid, Topias Leinoen, with this selection. The main point of this pick is to build depth and take whomever they feel is the best goalie still on the board, with Leinonen thought of as that guy.

Comparison: Darcy Kuemper. Leinonen is still unproven on whether he can be a full-time starter or not. He has lots of tools, however. Those include his own size, standing 6'5", which allows him to cover a lot of the net. He'll be a work in progress.

68. New Jersey: Bryce McConnell-Barker, LW

They've been known to draft from the OHL in the past. Taking BMB in this range would be a good option. It gives them more depth on the left wing, which they'd certainly be content about. He was once thought of as a near first rounder, but he hasn't really been able to sustain that mark, dropping him into the third, where the Devils take him and run.

Comparison: Zach Hyman. Barker's a speedy winger that loves to shoot the puck. He'll make sure to get off plentitude of shots while going to the net and doing all the simple things to play his style of game. A complementary type of winger.

69. Philadelphia: Christian Kyrou, D

Kyrou has exploded offensively this year. It could get him to jump up around. If not -- and if teams stay away from him over concerns over his size and lack of defense -- the Flyers could take him here, hoping he can learn to adapt. Being one of the older players in his age group, he narrowly missed last year's draft. Teams will have to wonder if he's capitalizing on that or if he's just that talented.

Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere to Marc-Andre Bergeron. Kyrou's got a rocket of a shot and loves to be an offensive catalyst. Teams will have to figure out if he's more of a PP specialias, ala Marc Andre Bergeron; or if he's more of an offensive defenseman that can actually play regular minutes, ala Shayne Gostisbehere.

70. Ottawa: Isaiah George, D

The Sens grab another defenseman for the long haul. George is developing developing within the London Knights organization, which sounds like the recipe for a steal. Playing limited minutes this year, George will be given an increased role next season, which should see his play continue to blossom. If the Sens are smart, they'd jump on him here.

Comparison: Danny Dekeyser. He's a defenseman with decent height and has excellent skating ability. His overall offensive upside is questionable, but George has the potential to be a mobile, two-way defenseman that can play a solid professional game.

71. Carolina [from Chicago]: Hunter Haight, RW/LW

Coming into the year, he was thought of as a potential first rounder. Production, consistency and size issues might push him down the board. Having some recent ties to drafting from Barrie, the Canes could take him here, hoping he breaks out next season... which is certainly possible. They tend to love swinging on talent and it can be considered another one of those choices.

Comparison: Jonathan Dahlen. He's a versatile, speedy winger that can score goals and can use his speed to disrupt play, playing a two-way game.

72. Buffalo: Servac Petrovsky, C

This Slovakian center has had a breakthrough season in the OHL, where he's shown a determined, defensive-minded game. He may even have some offensive upside, which sweetens the pot for the Sabres, who take him here. Even if he doesn't find the offense, he could still be a solid bottom-six/4th line type of center that does everything well.

Comparison: Ivan Barbashev. Petrovsky's a center/forward who'll find his way into playing time in the NHL based on his defensive play alone. It all depends on how high is ceiling is and if he can keep developing or not. His best work probably comes when he's killing penalties and shutting down opposition.

73. Detroit: Ludwig Persson, LW

Persson plays with Frolunda in the SHL. This bit of information, along with his speedy skating make him a target for the Red Wings. In fact, you may as well already pencil him down as a Wing. It just seems like too good of a fit.

Comparison: Ilya Mikheyev. Persson profiles as a complementary forward that likely plays a 3rd line winger winger, using his speed, smarts and two-way ability to be a hellraiser on the ice. He keeps things calm and simple, playing a two-way game.

74. San Jose: Topi Ronni, C

Grabbing a center with size, the Sharks shore up their depth down the middle. Ronni has had a decent season in Finland and might turn into a solid bottom-six guy down the road. With their need for centers, San Jose seems like the type of team that would like to grab him.

Comparison: Carl Soderberg. Roni's got some size and good two-way appeal. His offensive upside may not be huge, but he gets the job done in his own end. He's a depth center that can carry his own workload.

75. Montreal [from Anaheim]: Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, LW/C

The previous management team had a lot of faith in Finns. I don't know if that'll follow through with the new bunch, but Kaskimaki fits a lot of what they're looking for, namely in his ability to skate. If he's still here in the third, they could be all over him.

Comparison: Ondrej Kase. Kaskimaki's a speedster that can be a buzzsaw on the forecheck. He's more of a shooter than playmaker, making him a threat to score off the rush.

76. Winnipeg [from Columbus]: Kasper Kulonummi, D

Grabbing a right-shooting Finn seems right on par with how Winnipeg drafts. Kulonummi's been coming along nicely this year. It remains to be seen just how much upside he has... but he gives Winnipeg some depth, which is a plus.

Comparison: Gustav Forsling. Kulonummi is a thinking-man's defenseman. He plays a cerebral style of game, keeping things calm, honest and mobile. Instead of playing a high-impact game, he can slow things down and play a well-rounded game.

77. New York Islanders: Jordan Dumais, RW

Dumais is getting criminally under-ranked in lists. With the Islanders always scouting the Q heavily, they could take him here, hoping his offense can translate to the professional leagues. He's a high-risk/high-reward type of selection.

Comparison: Connor Garland. Dumais is a scorer with some rough skating, which keeps him knocked down draft boards. That said, he can be a big-time scorer, which he's shown in the QMJHL this year. His lack of size likely hurts his overall rating, keeping him from going higher than he should.

78. Toronto [from Winnipeg]: Vladimir Grudinin, D

The Leafs are known for grabbing guys they really like, no matter the size, location or talent. If Grundinin's there, he screams a "Dudas-like pick". He looked fantastic at the very brief World Juniors and has continued the same level of play since then. The scary Russian factor is indeed in play, as is fear over his lack of height, with Toronto willing to risk it.

Comparison: Rasmus Sandin. Grudinin's an undersized, yet stabilizing, defenseman that likes to transition pucks and brings a well-rounded arsenal to the ice. As a result, he comes across as a smooth-skating two-way defenseman that can do a lot of heavy lifting and has solid defensive reads.

79. Vancouver: Leo Gruba, D

In order to build up their RHD depth, they take the big kid coming from Minnesota high school hockey, Leo Gruba. There's lots to like in his game. If he can keep developing, he may be a mid-round steal... or at least the Canucks hope so.

Comparison: Maybe something like a Damon Severson as his utmost high-end ceiling. He's got a bomb of a point shot and moves well for a big kid. As always, with kids coming from high school, there's always a gambit, so it's hard to get a good overall read on him.

80. Chicago [from Vegas]: Lane Hutson, D

A first round level of offensive talent, Lane Hutson drops solely due to lack of size. Reports indicate he's anywhere from 5'7" to 5'9" and that's certainly a problem in today's NHL. If we see smaller defenseman have another difficult go of things in the playoffs, we may see him drop even further. Despite all that, he can be an offensive weapon from the point, with the hometown team of Chicago taking a chance on him.

Comparison: Scott Perunovich. While he's putting up numbers similar to a Quinn Hughes, I'll go with something akin to Perunovich for now. Due to his size, he may be stuck playing a powerplay-only role.

81. Dallas: Matthew Seminoff, RW

The Stars have plenty of ties to the Kamloops Blazers. He's even a teammate of Dallas's 2nd rounder from last year, Logan Stankoven. With the Tom Gagliardi connection, Dallas is always privvy to drafting a few members from Kamloops and it remains the same this year.

Comparison: Blake Coleman. Seminoff has one of the highest compete levels in this draft, even if his skill isn't 100%. Despite being a little undersized, he comes to play each and every night, playing with his heart on his sleeve, willing to fight hard for pucks and battle.

82. Nashville [from Los Angeles]: Alexander Suzdalev, LW

The Preds maintain a focus on skill, aiming their sights towards Suzdalev, a mixed Swedish-Russian winger. Their European scouting takes a swing on Suzdalev, potentially liking his skill level, allowing him to keep developing overseas, hoping they've found something interesting.

Comparison: Alexandre Texier. Suzdalev's got good size, great hands and speed. He's a high-risk/high-reward type that still needs to tighten up defensively if he wants to make the full jump to the pros.

83. Washington: Fraser Minten, RW/C

The Capitals love drafting out of the WHL. Someone like Minten might interest them due to how projectable he is as an NHL'er. He's more of a bottom-six type of player, but is someone that can kill penalties and provide solid defensive play, which is something that'll help you win important games.

Comparison: Teddy Blueger. He's a defensive-minded forward that can use his energy and smarts to play a well-oiled, fully positional game at forward. He kills penalties, works hard and can be someone that's a heart and soul type of forward.

84. Nashville: Gavin Hayes, RW

He comes across as the type of player that the Preds usually tend to like. He's got good size and potential, really showing his game in Flint once he was given actual playing time. It gives their winger depth a boost.

Comparison: Sammy Blais. Hayes is the type of hard-working forward that can play with some power and skill, going to the front of the net to wreck havoc and make some noise.

85. Chicago [from Edmonton]: Adam Sykora, RW/LW

He feels like a natural fit for Chicago, who sometimes draft heavy from overseas. As one of the youngest players in the draft and a constant waterbug on the puck, they can let him percolate overseas for a few years, then bring him over and see how he has developed.

Comparison: Carl Hagelin. I'm not sure how high his overall offensive ceiling is. However, I have good faith in him becoming a younger Carl Hagelin type of player -- a guy that's all over the ice, using his speed on the forecheck and to backcheck, being an absolute warrior on the ice.

86. St. Louis: Otto Salin, D

Grabbing another defenseman, the Blues look to continue building up their blueline. This time, on the right-hand side. Salin has battled some injuries this year and has taken some time to get back on track. That said, he looks like a useful

Comparison: Mario Ferraro. Standing 5'11", Salin isn't a big defenseman, nor is he a big-time producer. He should find his way by playing a well-rounded game, keeping pucks in momentum and playing a calm, collected game.

87. Los Angeles [from Pittsburgh]: Jorian Donovan, D

He didn't have his best game at the Top Prospects Game and has been a little rough overall, as of late. Nevertheless, the Kings select him here, hoping he can reel in his game to become a puck-moving defenseman with some size and all-around ability. It's more depth for their left side.

Comparison: Jack Johnson. He's got good size and is quite mobile... but what else is there? He's a guy with a lot of tools that you'll have to play the long game with to see if he works out.

88. Ottawa [from Boston]: Charlie Leddy, D

In an attempt to add some physicality and strength to the right side of their blueline, the Sens grab Charlie Leddy. He's not someone that's going to put up a lot of points. Instead, he's someone that'll act as a stabilizing presence, which is something they need to address.

Comparison: Jeremy Lauzon. Leddy's a defenseman that plays a steady, rock solid game. He can be physical, restricting zone entries and can make life difficult for opponents.

89. Vegas [from New York Rangers]: Tomas Hamara, D

Vegas may look to replenish their defense. Hamara could be someone that gives them some depth. He's ranked around this range, with the Knights liking his ability to skate from the blueline.

Comparison: Michal Kempny. Hamara's a speedy defenseman that can do a little of everything. His skating should help him apply play at all ends of the ice.

90. Chicago [from Toronto]: Jack Devine, LW/RW

A slippery, offensive winger would make a nice 3rd round pick for the Hawks, who again, go local. Depth is good and Devine gives them exactly that. He's looked promising in the NCAA this year and it gives them someone that can be a depth playmaking winger.

Comparison: Evan Rodrigues. Devine's a versatile playmaking forward that could potentially slot into many roles on either wing. He potentially brings some depth offense to a lineup.

91. Montreal [from Carolina]: Vinzenz Rohrer, RW

A smart, skilled forward, Rohrer seems like someone the Habs could add to their prospect core. He fits in with what their new regime has him hand and can be a depth offensive producers that plays in multiple roles.

Comparison: Pius Suter. Ruhrer's an Austrian winger that plays a very smart, cerebral type of goal-scoring game. Not huge in size, he's still able to weave about and be a complementary piece on a scoring line.

92. Colorado: Nicholas Moldenhauer, RW

The Avs grab Moldenhauer, who's been playing with the Chicago Steel this year. As a result, they've undoubtedly been able to get plenty of looks at him throughout the year. They think he's a worthy pickup here as a potential depth scoring forward.

Comparison: Rem Pitlick. Moldenhauer's got fantastic speed and skating. It should help him provide offense in a depth, potential middle-six role.

93. Columbus [from Tampa Bay]: Ryan Healey, D

They take a RHD in order to build up depth in that area. He'll be developing in the NCAA next year, with the Jackets giving him the all the time needed, hoping he develops into a defenseman with two-way skill.

Comparison: Alec Martinez. A two-way defenseman that moves pucks well, has good defensive abilities and can also join in on the rush by setting up plays. He might be more of depth guy, but he's got an all-around appeal.

94. Boston [from Calgary]: Tucker Robertson, C/RW

The first overager off the board, Robertson can play center or wing, with the Bruins taking him to build up depth for the former. They've shown history of liking overagers, so maybe Robertson could be on their radar. While he's cooled off as of late, his early seasonal play was exceptional.

Comparison: Michael Bunting. Passed over last year, the same situation won't happen again, with Robertson using his energetic play to produce well this year, which is impressive since he didn't play in the previous year due to covid. While his size is a concern for his long-term future at center, he has put up good numbers on the draw.

95. Minnesota: Cole Knuble, RW

He's the son of longtime NHL veteran, Mike Knuble. He puts up good underlying numbers, which the Wild could be well aware of. Lack of size might be an issue, but he's a good, well-rounded prospect that could take some seasoning. They could let him develop for a few years and see what they've got.

Comparison: Brandon Hagel. Knuble and Hagel are right around the same height and play a similar style of game -- with energy and skill. It might take some time, but there's talent there.

96. Florida: Angus Booth, D

The Panthers grab a versatile defenseman from the Q, furthering deepening their ranks on defense. He's a guy that can play on either side of defense, which is something that's always useful.

Comparison: Nikita Zaitsev. Booth's a two-way defenseman that uses his fast skating and overall hockey IQ to defend at both ends of the rink.

======

ROUND 4

97. Winnipeg [from Arizona]:
Filip Nordberg, D

The Jets have had good history with drafting from Sweden. If Nordberg's still there, he'd seem to fit into their style of game on defense -- on the singular basis of being big, strong and mobile.

Comparison: Connor Murphy. Big, mobile defenseman that plays a stay-at-home type of game that can be physical and swift. Likely not a huge offensive producer, more of a guy that'll defend his own zone.

98. Montreal: Ian Blomquist, G

They need some goalie depth in their ranks. They haven't had a Swedish goalie in some time. Maybe they look in that direction now that there's a new GM in town. He's ranked as the 2nd overall European goalie, with Montreal willing to give him the time to develop.

Comparison: Ville Husso. Blomquist is a solid goalie with starter potential, who's looked good in Sweden. He's resilient, has good size and can be an athletic netminder willing to steal games.

99. Seattle: Mikey Milne, LW

Not only do they love drafting from the WHL, they also love drafting overagers, which they also drafted some last year. He'd help deepen the Kraken's wings, giving them someone that's pretty close to making the jump to contribute in a depth role.

Comparison: Matthew Highmore. Milne is a defensively responsible winger that can play a utility role that allows him to be a safe, reliable player. He does the little things to help win games by forcing turnovers, blocking shots and being a hard worker.

100. New Jersey: Jack Sparkes, D

Sparkes is a 6'8" defenseman that'll be going to Michigan State in the future. He's a mammoth right-handed defenseman, which sounds like something the Devils would covet, giving their blueline even more size and depth.

Comparison: Erik Gudbransson. He's a huge, right shot defenseman that's coming out of the OJHL. Maybe he turns into something like an Erik Gudbransson -- a big, stay-at-home, physical defenseman that can pound the opposition.

101. Philadelphia: Quinn Finley, LW

If they need speed, Quinn Finley can certainly give them that. There's a lot of potential within him. They'll hope he can develop it in the NCAA ranks, which is a system they're not strangers to.

Comparison: Craig Smith. Finley's a speedy goal scorer that likes to go to the danger areas after coming down off the rush. He's got good hands, vision and excellent over IQ, making him a potential middle-six scoring threat.

102. St. Louis [from Ottawa]: Jake Karabela, C/LW

A fairly salient two-way performance at the Top Prospects Game might have him moving up. He's kind of a Swiss Army Knife type of player, with the Blues picking him up, feeling he's the best player available in this range.

Comparison: Dillon Dube. Not in huge in size, Karabela has a gung-ho attitude and is able to fight for pucks, while simultaneously having no fear and good two-way skill.

103. Tampa Bay [from Chicago]: Jeremy Langlois, D

Tampa's been known to draft from the Q before. They may be tempted to return there, jumping on the offensively engaged defenseman, Jeremy Langlois. He's been playing on a weak team, yet has put up some very impressive numbers. There could be future breakthrough potential with him.

Comparison: Brandon Montour. Langlois's an attacking defenseman that sometimes leans a little too much into the offensive, leaving him open defensively. He's got the skill to work and put up points on a powerplay.

104. Buffalo: Brennan Ali, LW

Brennan Ali would bring a level of physicality to the Sabres that they don't have much of. He won't be a top-six guy; but he can be someone that causes chaos and brings energy to the ice.

Comparison: Boris Katchouk. A tireless worker, Ali's got good physical attributes, goes to the net hard and can lay the body, creating space for teammates. He can become an energetic depth winger at the pro level.

105. Detroit: George Fegaras, D

He's been putting up solid numbers in the OJHL... which isn't a league that many teams draft from, which means there's some risk. The Wings love their big players that skate well and have potential, though. He seems like a very Wings-like selection.

Comparison: Jon Merill. He's a defenseman with two-way prowess. He skates well for his size and can even add some offense.

106. San Jose: Sandis Vilmanis, LW/RW

This Latvian forward is playing in the J20's over in Sweden. They could scoop him off the board in this range, thinking he's got good tools and a decent overall chance to become a scoring winger.

Comparison: Oskar Lindblom. With decent size, Vilmanis can become a goal-scoring winger who may/may not have consistency issues. He's got potential to be someone that works his way into the slot to bang home goals.

107. Anaheim: Spencer Sova, D

At this point, Sova's the best player left for the Ducks to take. Their blueline gets a boost, hoping for a mid-round steal with the puck-moving, defensive defenseman that's been playing in the OHL.

Comparison: Travis Dermott. He moves pucks well, plays a simple and effective game... but may be only a bottom pairing type depending on if his offense can translate.

108. Columbus: Evan Konyen, LW

Adding some speed and skill, Konyen is a good gamble for the Jackets in this area. He may be undersized, yet he could become a depth offensive player that adds some skill and speed to their overall depth.

Comparison: Alex Kerfoot. Likely not a first line player, moreso a depth winger that adds some playmaking ability and speed that can be an asset on special teams.

109. New Jersey [from New York Islanders]: Pano Fimis, C/LW

He may/may not be able to stick to center at the pro-level due to being smaller in size, but Fimis has good skill. Whether he sticks to it or not, it still gives New Jersey some more center depth, if he doesn't move to the wing.

Comparison: Trevor Moore. A smaller, playmaking forward with good two-way smarts that's capable of being moved to the wing. He's versatile and can fill many roles.

110. New York Rangers [from Winnipeg]: Jackson Dorrington, D

The Rangers seem to be interested in grabbing some more "solid", physical types of players. Dorrington gives them a RHD that can play that non-flashy style. It's a pick for the longterm.

Comparison: Zachary Whitecloud. Dorrington's got some physical tools that should allow him to play a stay-at-home game. He's probably a depth defenseman that does a lot to help win games.

111. Vancouver: Artyom Duda, D

There have been reports of Duda having contact with the Canucks. If he's there in the 4th round, they could swoop in and take him here, further growing their defense. He's a left-shooting defenseman that can play on the right side, something they also like.

Comparison: Dmitry Kulikov. Duda's a simple defenseman that's usually been known to play mainly a defensive role. However, after an explosion of offense this year, there could be some more hiding beneath the layers.

112. Detroit [from Vegas]: Ivan Zhigalov, G

Even though they have Sebastian Cossa, they grab another goalie just to make sure their pool is strong. Zhigalov should have been selected last year, but got passed over. He's very likely to be chosen this year after a strong season in Sherbrooke.

Comparison: Karel Vejmelka. He's got the size of the modern netminder. He's good good athleticism and has proven himself well on the international stage, as well.

113. Dallas: Elias Pettersson, D

Like the prior Jack Hughes selection, it's not THE Elias Pettersson... but an Elias Pettersson, nonetheless. He's a Swedish defenseman that's shown good offensive skill. They'll hope he can have a similar development as John Klingberg.

Comparison: Jan Rutta. It's hard for an accurate comparable... maybe something like a Jan Rutta. A big defenseman that can play a depth role, who has decent hands, keep things in motion and pushes the pace of play.

114. Los Angeles: Niklas Kokko, G

They've been known to dig into the Finnish ranks through the years. If they'd like to add some goaltender depth, Kokko could definitely be an option. The second half of his season was incredibly strong and it could get him some notoriety for draft potential.

Comparison: Joonas Korpisalo. An athletic Finnish goalie, Kokko can battle with consistency, but when he's engaged, he can be pretty good. It'll remain to be seen whether he can be a starter in the future or not. If not, maybe a quality backup.

115. Seattle [from Washington]: Ludvig Jansson, D

Going to Sweden, they grab the right-shooting Jansson. They hope he can continue developing, which would further bolster their right side of defense. He's shown some good offensive awareness this year and they think it's a good start.

Comparison: JJ Moser. Jansson's an offensive defenseman with some upside. He's calm and poised with the puck on his stick, able to make pinpoint passes and provide an offensive flair.

116. Nashville: Kent Anderson, D

Not only does Kent Anderson join the Preds organization, but he's also joining the University of Denver next year, which is the same school that their 2nd rounder, Rieger Lorenz, will be attending. It gives their RHD some more depth, while also adding another big body on defense.

Comparison: Jacob Middleton. Anderson's a solid, all-around defenseman that's capable of logging a lot of minutes. He may not pack a huge offensive punch at the next level, with the focus of his game being about doing the things to help win games and keeping it simple.

117. New Jersey [from Edmonton]: Daimon Gardner, LW/C

Even though Gardner's been playing high school hockey in Minnesota, he could still go relatively early, especially after being named a nominee for the Mr. Hockey Award. Not only that, but his impressive combination of size and skill makes him an interesting prospect with upside.

Comparison: Zach Sanford. Gardner's a big, skilled winger, not unlike Zach Sanford. He can use his size to go to the net and has an array of good skills.

118. St. Louis: Jake Furlong, D

It's another defenseman to help rebuild their ranks. Furlong's got pretty standard size and has the potential to turn into a very useful defenseman as long as he keeps on his current development path.

Comparison: Mike Reilly. Skating is good, he transitions pucks well and he can be a multi-purpose type of defenseman.

119. Pittsburgh: Antonin Verreault, LW

Headed back to the Q, an area they feel comfortable with, the Pens grab Antonin Verreault. His size keeps him down the board, but there's a lot to like about him. They shoot for pure upside, hoping he can prove his doubters wrong.

Comparison: Yanni Gourde. Undersized, standing anywhere from 5'7"-to-5'9", Verreault's incredibly tenacious and skilled, able to cut off passes and go on the attack and drive play in the opposing end.

120. Boston: Fabian Wagner, RW/LW

In the past, they've drafted some Swedes. Wagner is someone that could be of interest, as well. They'd surely love his speed through the neutral zone. They take a chance on him here, hoping he can find a place in their bottom-nine.

Comparison: JT Compher. Wagner's game is all about speed. His offense may not translate, so it may restrict him to a bottom-six role. He's still a very capable winger, however, able to use his speed to make trouble for other teams and return to the backcheck.

121. Montreal [from New York Rangers]: Michael Mastrodomenico, D

It's another local kid, this time it's a guy that's been developing in US hockey. It's anther boost to their right side of defense, which is in need of some tooling. Longterm, maybe he can develop into something for them, even if it's in a depth role.

Comparison: Cody Ceci. He's big, skates well, can sometimes jump in on the rush, break out the play; or even defend in his own zone.

122. Columbus [from Toronto]: Jan Spunar, G

Their goaltending depth could use a good kick. They seem like the type that selects a lot of European goalies, so they defer to the next best goalie from Europe that's available... and it might be Spunar.

Comparison: Jeremy Swayman. Spunar, like Swayman, offers a very calm approach to the game. He likes to keep it simple, work hard and allows for the play to come to him.

123. Carolina: Ruslan Gazizov, LW

Carolina loves taking these high-risk/high-reward types throughout the draft. Sometimes they work out; sometimes they don't. With Gazizov playing with the London Knights, I think they'll feel he can work out.

Comparison: Philipp Kurashev. A feisty and skilled playmaking winger, Gazizov is someone that could battle with inconsistency. He'll need to figure that out before he turns pro.

124. Detroit [from Colorado]: Matthew Morden, D

Detroit loves their big defensemen. Morden's another guy for their blueline, which they continue to build upon, hoping someone will eventually standout. He's got a late birthday and played college hockey this year and will likely be going to the NCAA route in the fall, giving him plenty of time for development.

Comparison: Joel Edmundson. He's a big, smooth operating defenseman that covers a lot of the ice and has two-way potential. Not sold on his pure offensive upside, but can become a solid and dependable and large all-around player.

125. Montreal [from Tampa Bay]: Grayson Badger, RW

Coming from US Prep school is always a risk, but he's also headed to Northeastern University, which is where new GM, Kent Hughes, has a lot of ties and connections. As such, they draft him here, loving his all-out energy. They feel he could become a fan-favorite type of forward.

Comparison: Brandon Tanev. Badger's an energetic winger that skates hard and fast to the net, willing to do anything to help his team win. He can be an on-ice leader and a forward that can play physically.

126. Seattle [from Calgary]: Brayden Schuurman, RW

Standing only 5'9", size might be a concern for Schuurman, therefore dropping him down the draft board. However, Seattle's a team that loves their western kids and also has embraced smaller players. Maybe he can find a home here.

Comparison: His top end, if he ever makes it, would be something like Brendan Gallagher. Someone that goes hard to the net, plays with tenacity and can be a goal-scorer. Otherwise, maybe something like a Frank Vatrano.

127. Minnesota: Cruz Lucius, RW

Injuries kind of derailed his season, result in him falling into the late 4th. At this range, the Minnesota native could go to his hometown team, giving them a depth forward with some offensive flair. If he hits, then it could be a really solid 4th round selection.

Comparison: Sonny Milano. He's got skilled hands and has really solid playmaking ability. He's got upside as a skilled forward.

128. Florida: Kasper Lundell, LW/RW

It keeps the Lundell brothers together, which keeps Anton happy for now. They've always loved drafting Finns -- and it just seems like an easy connection to make.

Comparison: Luke Glendening. Kasper doesn't have the offense that his bigger brother has. That said, he's a defensively focused forward that'll work hard at all ends of the ice, including killing penalties.

======

ROUND 5

129. Arizona:
Jake Livanavage, D

Livanavage is an Arizona-born defenseman, which, to me, screams like they should select him. He's be a homegrown talent and he's been playing with the touted Chicago Steel this past year as an offensive blueliner, so he's coming in from good lineage.

Comparison: Alex Goligoski. Not that big of a guy, he's an offensive defenseman that depends on his mobility and awareness, who is also capable of dropping some bodies with hitting.

130. Montreal: Cameron Whitehead, G

Taking another goalie, the Habs target a guy that's developing within North America to counteract their previous European selection. He's an overager that's headed to Northeastern, which is a developmental path they know quite well.

Comparison: James Reimer. He's a goaltender with good versatility, able to match up well with competition. He's quick into the butterfly and able to use his size and instincts to stop pucks.

131. Seattle: Jozef Viliam Kmec, D

It's yet another boost to their RHD depth. Kmec is a defense-first defender, which is something they need. The Slovakian defenseman is playing in Prince George this year, where he has been a rock solid shutdown guy, which the Kraken hope he can translate that to the pros.

Comparison: Jonas Siegenthaler. A strong defensive defenseman, Kmec is a Slovakian defender that's been playing in the WHL this year, doing a good job of shutting down opposition the old fashion way of leaning on them, making them work hard for pucks and being physical.

132. Buffalo [from Buffalo]: Tyler Muszelik, G

Despite already having a few bodies in the pipeline, they may want to grab Muszelik, the USA U18 team's goalie, to their ranks. It'd give them more depth, plus with a lot of picks, they'd probably like to grab an extra goalie or two.

Comparison: Scott Wedgewood. He's a flexible, butterfly style goalie with good size and can track pucks well.

133. Philadelphia: Lucas Edmonds, RW

If they're able to land Shane Wright with the lottery, they could take his current linemate, Lucas Edmonds. While playing with alongside Edmonds, Wright's offense has increased and it could be a good way to jumpstart his NHL career. A double-overager, Edmonds is about ready to jump in and play, just as long as he can work on his skating.

Comparison: Jiri Hudler. Edmonds was passed over twice and it likely doesn't happen again. While his skating isn't great and he's pretty slow, he's still a winger with some impressive skill.

134. Ottawa: Adam Engstrom, D

Going to Sweden, they grab a defenseman in order to increase depth in that position. Engstrom's an all-around guy with some tools that make him a worthy selection. They've taken some Swedes in the past and maybe Engstrom would interest them.

Comparison: Colin Miller. At the pro level, he could potentially turn into something like Colin Miller. He's got a heavy pointshot, some all around ability that can allow him to defend and play a depth role.

135. Vegas [from Chicago]: Rylen Roersma, C/LW

Vegas has connections with the Brandon Wheat Kings. Roersma could be one such target for them. He plays a style that they'd certainly like and feel could easily settle in to their system.

Comparison: Jake Evans. Roersma's a speedy, two-way forward that can be a role player, working hard on each shift, able to play a multitude of roles.

136. San Jose [from Buffalo]: Liam Steele, D

In an effort to boost their depth on defense, the Sharks grab the huge Liam Steele. Having moved from England to Canada to play varsity hockey, Steele has a future that likely included developing in the American collegiate systems. With his sheer size, he might be a sneaky good selection for the Sharks in the longterm.

Comparison: Andrej Sustr. Standing 6'6" will certainly get him noticed. His upside remains to be seen, but maybe he turns into something like Andrej Sustr, who has found a role as a depth defenseman with size and skating at the pro ranks.

137. Detroit: Brandon Lisowsky, LW

Lack of size could knock Lisowsky down the board, much to the delight of the Wings, who'd gleefully swoop in and take him off the board here. The Wings can offer him plenty of time to develop and work on things that need to be addressed, hoping to fit him into their plans sometime in the future.

Comparison: Kailer Yamamoto. Lisowsky's an undersized, energetic, speedy winger that can propel himself into scoring situations. He's a feisty winger that likes to engage in play and can be a scorer on a powerplay.

138. San Jose: Logan Morrison, C

Passed over last year due to not playing because of covid, Morrison could get picked up this year. The Sharks are a team that could use some center depth and he's closer to stepping in and providing a spark.

Comparison: Matt Stajan. He plays a high-IQ game that should/could enable him to play at least a bottom-six role. Morrison doesn't quit on a play and has good playmaking skill, making him a versatile threat.

139. Anaheim: Kyle Jackson, LW/C

After a growth spurt - both in terms of development and size, Kyle Jackson has managed to progress his play while playing in the OHL with North Bay. It's gotten him into conversations to be drafted after he had been passed over the past 2 drafts. The Ducks could grab him here, liking his size and overall depth.

Comparisonn: Victor Rask. With good size, Jackson likes to keep it simple, using his smarts and skill to produce. He isn't a speed burner, nor is he an overly physical guy, he likes to use his positioning to play his type of game.

140. New Jersey [from Columbus]: Damien Carfagna, D

The Devils have always been known to throw some picks at overagers and see how they develop. In this such instance, they could target Carfagna, who is a New Jersey native. Passed over last year, he's made successful strides in his play this year, which has gotten him on the board for a potential late pick.

Comparison: Ty Barrie. He's an undersized offensive defenseman that carries pucks well and can be counted on to provide scoring from the point.

141. New York Islanders: Zam Plante, LW

Playing for the successful Chicago Steel team, Zam Plante is highly regarded and could go anywhere from round 3-5. The only thing holding him back is his lack of size, with the Islanders willing to give him a shot, feeling as if he's the best player on the board.

Comparison: Andrew Cogliano. Blessed with non-stop compete and energy, Plante can be a speedy two-way forward that gives it his all for every shift he takes.

142. Ottawa [from Winnipeg]: Colton Smith, LW/RW

Being the current head coach's son has its perks; such as getting selected by his father's team in the 5th round. Furthermore, he plays the way that the Senators tend to like in their players.

Comparison: Givani Smmith. He's a big, physical winger that'll stand up for his teammates, work hard for pucks and can be a battler on the ice.

143. Vancouver: Theo Keilin, LW

Venturing back to Sweden, they take a chance on Theo Keilin, who's been littering the net with pucks as a goal scorer in the J20 ranks. Give him some time and see how he progress 3-5 years from now.

Comparison: Daniel Sprong. Keiling's a sniper with good speed and skill. He's a shoot-first type of player with potential to play around a bottom-nine.

144. Vegas: Benjamin King, RW/C

Ben King epitomizes the type of player Vegas likes to collect. Passed over in previous drafts, he's had an offensive explosion this year and looks like he has potential to become a valuable depth winger with strength, scoring and power.

Comparison: Warren Foegele. He profiles as a big forward that puts in the hard work, jams in pucks and can use his size to turn things in his favor.

145. Dallas: Kocha Delic, RW

The Stars often use the OHL to scrape talent from. Delic's a nice pick in this range. He seems like the type of guy they'd take a card out on in this range, hoping he pays off in the future.

Comparison: Mathieu Perreault. He's a small, speedy, tenacious winger with some playmaking talent and all-around ability. He probably has depth scoring potential.

146. Los Angeles: Miko Matikka, RW

Normally, the Kings grab a Finn or two during the draft. First, they went with Kokko, now they grab Matikka, if he's still available. It gives them another element of size and goal-scoring potential that you can never go wrong with.

Comparison: Dmitrj Jaskin. Matikka's a big winger with some issues in his skating speed and stride. Nonetheless, he can fire pucks pretty hard and could be a depth goal scorer.

147. Washington: Jace Weir, D

They return to the WHL where they select a RHD. It's a good move for depth, as Weir has potential to possibly turn into a bottom pairing type of defender. He's had a mixed season but the Caps bank on his potential.

Comparison: Cale Fleury. Weir's a prototypical western kid that likes to play a stay-at-home game, while also being physical and trying to maintain balance.

148. Nashville: Alex Bump, LW

He was a Mr. Hockey nominee and the captain for his high school hockey team. He went to the USHL and still produced for Omaha. He'll be going to university next year, with the Preds jumping on him here, feeling like he could be a player.

Comparison: Ryan Donato. Bump's got a good engine, works hard, can score goals, drive play and has some tenacious, two-way play. He may be someone that can provide depth scoring.

149. Edmonton: Tyson Jugnauth, D

A wild 5th round swing, with the Oilers looking for some offensive defenseman, they take a chance on Jugnauth, who's been playing in the BCHL, a lesser league. They'll hope he can eventually make it and maybe work powerplay duty. When you're in the 5th round, you're looking for guys that patch systemic holes and Jugnauth could be someone they want.

Comparison: Sean Durzi. He's what you think an offensive defenseman would be. Capable in terms of offense, limitations on defense. A guy that'll keep pucks in momentum up the ice.

150. St. Louis: Viktor Neuchev, LW/RW

With the Russian fear in play, Neuchev falls into the fifth round. Despite that, some outlets have him as a contender for the first 2 rounds. The Blues hope to walk away with a steal, as long as there's some resolution to the situation with the Russian players.

Comparison: Dominik Kubalik. Neuchev's a big winger that derives most of his offense from shooting and filling the net with a barrage of pucks.

151. Pittsburgh: Dominik Rymon, RW/LW

In the past, they've been known to flex their scouting ability by selecting some Euro talent. Someone like Rymon definitely feels like a Penguins pick as a player that can potentially translate, even if it's in a depth role.

Comparison: Rudolfs Balcers. He's a two-way, hard-working, energetic forward. Even if he isn't scoring, he's still working hard, trying to force turnovers and force the plays of opposition by battling for pucks.

152. Ottawa [from Boston]: Josh Davies, LW

A winger with as much drive and energy as Davies would definitely be welcomed to Ottawa's lineup, even if it's in a bottom-six role. Even with his lack of size, he plays the way they want to see their players play.

Comparison: Cal Clutterbuck. Small in stature, standing only 5'10", Davies hits like a truck, he agitates, he provides depth scoring. He's a hard-working, efficient forward that has good speed and can be a role player.

153. New York Rangers: Marek Hejduk, RW/LW

Hejduk is the son of former Colorado Avalanche star, Milan Hejduk. Since they're in contender mode, the Rangers grab him here, focusing their aim on the type of player that'll work hard and help you win during playoff games.

Comparison: Zack Aston-Reese. Hejduk isn't a super-skilled or flashy forward. Instead, he'll be someone that works hard on the ice and does the "diffcult" things well, ie: playing defense, blocking shots, playing with an engine, etc.

154. Anaheim [from Toronto]: Josh Filmon, LW/RW

He's a big western kid with potential. Based on that alone, he feels very much like an Anaheim type of selection. They'd be willing to give him some time to develop and wait and see what he turns into.

Comparison: Mason Appleton. A big winger that doesn't solely rely on his size. He can be a quick shooter and a play driver... albeit probably in a depth role.

155. Carolina: Beau Jelsma, LW

Jelsma is another member of the Barrie Colts that lands in Carolina's lap. He brings a lot of good tools in an undersized frame, making him an intriguing longterm option. For a late 5th, you're probably not going to get a well-rounded forward as good as him.

Comparison: Johan Larsson. A buzzing and energetic two-way forward that forechecks and backchecks hard. He's got decent enough skill and could be someone that progresses even moreso next year.

156. Colorado: Tnias Mathurin, LD

They grab another defenseman that's hard to play against. He may not be a "sexy" high upside pick, but the Avs feel like he's someone that can sooner slot in and play a needed role.

Compariosn: Luke Schenn. He's a big, physical defenseman. He's a shutdown type of guy that loves to throw the body and make life difficult for opponents.

157. Tampa Bay: Jakub Hujer, LW/RW

A big, tall Czech winger seems right up Tampa's alley. Even if he only turns into a defensive depth player, it's still a warm body that can help them win games. They go for a "warm" body type that can easily step in and contribute.

Comparison: Nick Paul. He's a big, defensive-minded forward that uses his size and stick-work to play a smart, defensive game.

158. Calgary: Grayden Siepmann, D

Fresh off a season with the Calgary Hitmen, Siepmann could find himself drafted by the Flames, who've surely gotten enough viewings of him. He's a high-risk/high0reward type of selection, where if they hit well on the defenseman, he could be something intriguing... or another bust. Either/or.

Comparison: Chris Wideman. He skates well, has good offensive ability and puck movement and control; and uses his speed to mobilize well up and down the ice.

159. Minnesota: Dmitri Buchelnikov, LW

Buchelnikov was passed over last year mainly due to the Russia factor and the fact that he's undersized. It's possible he gets passed on again... unless a savvy, smart team such as Minnesota takes a chance on him. He's got thrilling skill and upside and might be someone they're willing to wait on if/until he comes over.

Comparison: Evgenii Dadonov. Buchelnikov's a speedy, goal-scoring winger that can apply pressure off the rush and can be counted on to provide secondary offensive scoring.

160. Florida: Cedrick Guindon, LW/RW

Guindon's had a pretty strong second half of the year in the OHL. It might be enough to squeeze him in to the firs 5 rounds, size be damned. To be fair, the Panthers are probably more interested in the speed and skill he could bring.

Comparison: Alexandre Barre-Boulet. Standing only 5'10", Guindon will have to be at his best in terms of skill if he wants to make it. Thanks to his speed, he can be an effective depth scoring option.

Notable names just missing the cut, still on the board for rounds 6 and 7:

- Kirill Kundryatsev
- Arseni Koromyslov
- Cole Spicer
- Liam Arnsby
- Brady Berard
- Dylan Silverstein
- Matteus Soderbom
- Sergei Ivanov
- Helmer Styf
- Yoan Loshing
- Maros Jedlicka
- Matthew Ward
- Tim Almgren
- Hudson Thornton
- Joel Jonsson
- Jere Lassila
- Aidan Castle
- David Spacek
- Zach Bookman
- Tyler Dunbar
- Zack Lavoie
- Gibson Homer
- Maddox Fleming
- Karlis Mezsargs

SUMMARY

Anaheim:

---
11. Cutter Gauthier, LW
24. Sam Rinzel, RD
43. Danny Zhilkin, LW/C
55. Maveric Lamoureux, RD
107. Spencer Sova, LD
139. Kyle Jackson, LW/C
154. Josh Filmon, LW/RW

Arizona:
---
3. Logan Cooley, C
27. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW
28. Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW
33. Mats Lindgren, LD
37. Owen Beck, C
42. Tyler Brennan, G
45. Ty Nelson, RD
65. Kirill Dolzhenkov, LW/RW
129. Jake Livanavage, LD

Boston:
---
56. Michael Fisher, RD
94. Tucker Robertson, RW/C
120. Fabian Wagner, LW/RW

Buffalo:
---
8. Matthew Savoie, RW
16. Ryan Chesley, RD
32. Rutger McGroarty LW/C
40. Seamus Casey, RD
72. Servac Petrovsky, C
104. Brennan Ali, LW
132. Tyler Muszelik, G

Calgary:
---
62. Matthew Poitras, C/RW
158. Grayden Siepmann, RD

Carolina:
---
59. Jani Nyman, LW/RW
71. Hunter Haight, RW
123. Ruslan Gazizov, LW
155. Beau Jelsma, LW

Chicago:
---
31. Adam Ingram, RW/C
39. Jiri Kulich, LW/C
80. Lane Hutson, LD
85. Adam Sykora, LW/RW
90. Jack Devine, LW/RW

Colorado:
---
92. Nicholas Moldenauer, RW
156. Thias Mathurin, LD

Columbus:
---
7. Frank Nazar, RW/C
12. Pavel Mintyukov, LD
44. Gleb Trikozov, RW
93. Ryan Healey, RD
108. Evan Konyen, LW
122. Jan Spunar, G

Dallas:
---
17. Brad Lambert, RW/C
49. Matyas Sapovaliv, C
81. Matthew Semnoff, RW
113. Elias Pettersson, LD
145. Kocha Delic, RW

Detroit:
---
9. Marco Kasper, C
41. Filip Bystedt, C
51. Elias Salomonsson, RD
73. Ludwig Persson, LW
105. George Fegaras, RD
112. Ivan Zhigalov, G
124. Matthew Morden, LD
137. Brandon Lisowsky, LW

Edmonton:
---
21. Nathan Gaucher, C/RW
149. Tyson Jugnauth, LD

Florida:
---
96. Angus Booth, LD
128. Kasper Lundell, LW/RW
160. Cedrick Guindon, LW/RW

Los Angeles:
---
18. Liam Ohgren, LW
50. Michael Buchinger, LD
87. Jorian Donovan, LD
114. Niklas Kokko, G
146. Miko Matikka, RW

Minnesota:
---
47. Noah Ostlund, C/LW
63. Reid Schaefer, LW
95. Cole Knuble, RW
127. Chaz Lucius, RW
159. Dmitri Buchelnikov, LW

Montreal:
---
2. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
30. David Goyette, LW
34. Noah Warren, RD
53. Mattias Havelid, RD
66. Ryan Greene, C
75. Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, LW
91. Vinzenz Rohrer, RW
98. Ian Blomquist, G
121. Michael Mastrodomenico, RD
125. Grayson Badger, RW
130. Cameron Whitehead, G

Nashville:
---
20. Kevin Korchinski, LD
52. Rieger Lorenz, LW
82. Alexander Suzdalev, LW/RW
84. Gavin Hayes, RW
116. Kent Anderson, RD
148. Alex Bump, LW

New Jersey:
---
5. David Jiricek, RD
36. Alexander Perevalov, LW/RW
68. Bryce McConnell-Barker, LW
100. Jack Sparkes, RD
109. Pano Fimis, C/LW
117. Daimon Gardner, LW/C
140. Damien Carfagna, RD

New York Islanders:
---
13. Joakim Kemell, RW
60. Simon Forsmark, LD
77. Jordan Dumais, RW
141. Zam Plante, LW

New York Rangers:
---
25. Luca del Bel Belluz, C
110. Jackson Dorrington, LD
153. Marek Hejduk, LW/RW

Ottawa:
---
6. Conor Geekie, C
38. Cameron Lund, RW
61. Dylan James, LW/RW
70. Isaiah George, LD
88. Charlie Leddy, RD
134. Adam Engstrom, LD
142. Colton Smith, LW/RW
152. Josh Davies, LW

Philadelphia:
---
1. Shane Wright, C
69. Christian Kyrou, RD
101. Quinn Finley, LW
133. Jiri Hudler, LW

Pittsburgh:
---
23. Tristan Luneau, RD
119. Antonin Verreault, LW
151. Dominik Rymon, RW/LW

San Jose:
---
10. Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW/LW
74. Topi Ronni, C
106. Sandis Vilmanis, LW/RW
136. Liam Steele, RD
138. Logan Morrison, C

Seattle:
---
4. Simon Nemec, RD
35. Isaac Howard, LW
58. Jordan Gustafsson, LW/C
64. Julian Lutz, LW
67. Topias Leinonen, G
99. Mikey Milne, LW/RW
115. Ludvig Jansson, RD
126. Brayden Schuurman, RW
131. Jozef Viliam Kmec, RD

St. Louis:
---
22. Owen Pickering, LD
86. Otto Salin, RD
102. Jake Karabela, C/LW
118. Jake Furlong, LD
150. Viktor Neuchev, LW/RW

Tampa Bay:
---
29. Jagger Firkus, RW
103. Jeremy Langlois, LD
157. Jakub Hujer, LW/RW

Toronto:
---
26. Filip Mesar, LW/C
78. Vladimir Grudinin, LD

Vancouver:
---
15. Lian Bichsel, LD
79. Leo Gruba, RD
111. Artyom Duda, LD
143. Theo Keilin, LW

Vegas:
---
48. Calle Odelius, LD
89. Tomas Hamara, LD
135. Rylen Roersma, C/LW
144. Benjamin King, RW/C

Washington:
---
19. Danila Yurov, RW
46. Jack Hughes, C
83. Fraser Minten, C/RW
147. Jace Weir, RD

Winnipeg:
---
14. Denton Mateychuk, LD
54. Devin Kaplan, RW
57. Paul Ludwinski, LW/C
76. Kasper Kulonummi, RD
97. Filip Nordberg, LD

Bravo!!! Definitly the BEST analitics of futher draft based ALSO on team approach with drafting during 5-6 previouse years like Buffalo/Detroit and etc.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Nice work OP. Speaking as an Oilers fan I really hope Chesley falls into the early 20s for us. With Nurse signed until the end of time we need a mobile, defense-first RHD to help cover his gaffes.

I also don't mind Jugnauth there in the 5th but would rather add another goalie to the system that we can stash away and forget about until ready. Muszelik would be alright but I would prefer to take a swing at a homerun type like Schenkel and see what happens in 5 years.

Suzuki2017

Jun 26, 2013
Great mock, learnerd about some New prospects ill keep an eye on.

For the habs, I like the Slafkovsky, Green with the 66th pick and Mastrodomenico in the late rounds. Not sure about the Warren pick, maybe swap him with Nelson and Havelid with Dumais.

I am going to do my research with Kaskimaki.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Very well done. Superb read. A lot of these player comparisons feel spot on, and I felt like the players you picked line up pretty well with the drafting philosophies of the teams taking them.

Also, Kasper, Bystedt, and Salomonsson feels like a pretty good group to walk out of the first two rounds with, so no complaints from me about the selections. I’ve got two of those guys in my top fifteen*.

*edit: 8 Marco Kasper and 15 Elias Salomonsson​

Last edited:
Reactions: emptyNedder

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Very well done. Superb read. A lot of these player comparisons feel spot on, and I felt like the players you picked line up pretty well with the drafting philosophies of the teams taking them.

Also, Kasper, Bystedt, and Salomonsson feels like a pretty good group to walk out of the first two rounds with, so no complaints from me about the selections. I’ve got two of those guys in my top fifteen.
Wait what? Which 2? I have none of them in my top 15 and 2 of them pretty solidly in the second round.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Wait what? Which 2? I have none of them in my top 15 and 2 of them pretty solidly in the second round.
I'm pretty high on 8 Marco Kasper and 15 Elias Salomonsson. I think the former has a good shot at developing into a second line center, and the latter looks like a solid second pair guy down the road. Both play a solid 200 foot game, though I admit Salomonsson can be shaky at times. I don't think I could justify taking more than twenty guys ahead of either one of them.

HolyJumpin40

May 15, 2014
Appreciate the effort! Honestly, I don't mind Kasper at #9. I also think DET might take a gamble on him if Nazar is off the board.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Amazing detail. Love it from the Red Wing point of view. I’ve never been able to get Bystedt in any of the simulators. I would take Kasper at one and Bystedt’s size would make up for not taking Geekie at nine. My next pick would have been Reiger Lorenz who went the next pick in your draft

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm beginning to believe that Bichsel won't make it to pick 15...and may not make it past pick 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad