NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension May Mock Draft (3 rounds)

newdimension

May 18, 2013
First off, some notes:

-> This is based on my prediction of Anaheim and Nashville in the Western Conference and Pittsburgh and Ottawa in the East. The finals would be Pittsburgh prevailing over Nashville for the Cup.

-> I'm doing the first 3 rounds. It's close enough to the first 100 picks. To be frank, anything after the first 30 is just a complete crapshoot.

-> My comparables should be taken lightly. Obviously not everyone is going to go on to become the same player or have the same overall upside. It's mostly for fun and to look back a few years down the line to see how right -- or how wrong you are.

-> I'm also not a hardcore scout or anything; or even have complete knowledge of every team's prospect needs or wants. This is just a fun way to kill a weekend.

-> Ignore any typos or errors. I'm a keyboard-mushmouth. :P There's also a lot of draft picks to keep up with, so if I missed a team or messed up the order somehow, that's my fault.

[[Round 1]]

1. New Jersey: Nico Hischier, C
It all comes down to the combine, in my opinion. If Nolan Patrick gets a clean bill of health and passes physicals, they could go with him. Butttt... I think he sets off too many red flags for a team that needs certain talent. Heiskanen could be an option for them, too; but I think they'll go with Hischier in the end. With McLeod and Hischier down the middle, they should be set with a solid top 6 that features hard, fast skating that'll wear down the opposition.
Comparable: Henrik Zetterberg, back in his prime, when he played with excellent speed.

2. Philadelphia: Nolan Patrick, C
Honestly, the Devils make it easy for the Flyers. They'll go with whomever is left between Hischier and Patrick.
Comparable: Eric Staal. Big, strong versatile center that won't be a superstar, but will get the job done as a top line/top six center.

3. Dallas: Miro Heiskanen, D
This is where things get tricky. I think the Stars would go for the best player on the board, though. That'll be Heiskanen, who's really risen up the rankings and drove home his potential.
Comparable: Cam Fowler; for his mixture of speed, skating, skill and two-way play that can shutdown opposing players.

4. Colorado: Gabriel Vilardi, C/RW
They'll go with the best player left, which would be Vilardi. His size, hockey IQ and overall game are probably good enough to get him into the league sooner than later, which would be a positive for a team that's in need of talent of any and every kind. Plus he can play on the wing or as a center, which would be a plus for the Avs.
Comparable: Mark Stone, for his ability to strip opponents of the puck, play a high-IQ, two-way game and can be dominant in the corners. Oh, and there's the skating issues, too.

5. Vancouver: Casey Mittelstadt, C
If that one Reddit post is to believed, they're pretty high on him. If they go center, I think it's between him and Necas, with Mittelstadt ultimately winning out in the end. They're in a rebuild mode, so they'll give him plenty of time to develop while he goes to school.
Comparable: Evgeny Kuznetsov. A playmaking center with good hands and pure offense that can really help on a powerplay.

6. Vegas: Cody Glass
Probably a good way for the new organization to start their run. Go with a big, talented center and then build from there, along with the guys you get in the expansion draft. Plus I'm sure they've seen him enough to know what a good prospective talent he is.
Comparable: Ryan Johansen; a tall, talented playmaking center with good vision, hands and smarts.

7. Arizona:: Cale Makar, D
Even though he plays in a lesser league, the Coyotes seem like they're progressive enough to take him on. It's risky, but they can take it, knowing he has high upside and plenty of other prospects coming in.
Comparable: Shayne Gostisbehere is quite comparable: smaller, extremely mobile, offensive and can shoot the puck. His elite-level ceiling is Erik Karlsson, since he was short like Karlsson when drafted, but I don't think anyone in this draft could ever reach that level.

8. Buffalo: Juuso Valimaki, D
Ideally, the Sabres come in, looking for either Heiskanen or Makar. Unfortunately, both of them are gone by the time they're up. Instead, they go with the next best defender on their list: Valimaki, who isn't in the same tier, but still has good skill.
Comparable: Brady Skjei; they both can handle the puck well in every zone and can add offense, as well.

9. Detroit: Elias Pettersson, C
They'll want to pickup a playmaking center with top 6 potential, so it'll be between him and Necas, or so I would think. They'll give him time to bulk up, too, I'm sure.
Comparable: Alexander Wennberg, in that they're both talented, all-out playmaking centers with high skill. Wennberg also needed to bulk up in his draft year.

10. Florida: Owen Tippett, RW
They're able to get a big, goal scoring winger to play with Barkov and Huberdeau. It's both a best player available scenario and fulfills organizational depth.
Comparable: Chris Kreider. They both can play a speedy goal scorer or power winger game.

11. Los Angeles: Timothy Liljegren, D
They trust in their European scouting, especially in the Swedish area. Maybe they trade a guy such as Muzzin or Martinez for help upfront, while they let Liljegren develop, hoping and expecting a bounceback season next year. They also hope he can reach his ultimate potential since he has all the tools to do so.
Comparable: Justin Faulk type of shooting offensive defenseman, who will have consistency issues.

12. Carolina: Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW
It's a perfect fit for them. One, there's the Finnish factor; two, he has the size they would love to add on their wings; and three, they feel he would be a great fit playing with Sebastian Aho in the future. His U18 tournament really got him rocketing back up the board.
Comparable: James van Riemsdyk. Has great size and skill, but could also battle with inconsistency.

13. Winnipeg: Martin Necas, C
They go with the best player remaining on the board. I know they'd like to have defense; but Necas is too much to pass on and having a strong center core equates to success. Imagine him passing off to Laine.
Comparable: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, especially when RNH was first coming into the league, for his speed, playmaking ability and two-way smarts.

14. Tampa Bay: Callan Foote, D
A right-handed shutdown defenseman to the Lightning would feel like a coup. He might even have some untapped offensive potential, as long he is developed correctly within their system.
Comparable: Oscar Klefbom is his upside, in my opinion... but maybe more like a Braydon Coburn type of shutdown defender.

15. New York Islanders: Michael Rasmussen, C/LW
Even though the injury sidelined his end of the season, they've gotten good looks at him while scouting Parker Wotherspoon. I think he might slot in as a middle 6 winger at the NHL level, although I could be wrong -- seems like he could be a good complement to guys such as Barzal or Tavares.
Comparable: Sort of a Kevin Hayes-meets-Martin Hanzal type of tall forward that can be a factor on special teams, such as the powerplay, where he could go to the net and score garbage goals.

16. Calgary: Ryan Poehling, C
After seeing the damage a guy such as Ryan Getzlaf has done to opposing teams, they know big centers is probably a good way to go. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Getzlaf -- he won't be, just that the size and two-way play would be a great addition, especially if Sam Bennett doesn't find himself to be a fulltime center.
Comparable: Travis Zajac; a big, two-way center that can strip pucks from opponents and play an all-round solid game at all ends of the ice.

17. Toronto: Klim Kostin, RW
With some fans, it won't be well-received. However, with a healthy group of prospects on their way up, the Leafs can afford to take a big risk by targeting the big Russian forward. It'll be critical due to how risky it'll be; but they could feel he'd be a good partner with Auston Matthews or William Nylander in the future.
Comparable: Bobby Ryan; for his battles with injuries, inconsistency and so on. However, also has good talent and has big size.

18. Boston: Eeli Tolvanen, LW/RW
I think he might fall a bit for being a little too one-dimensional. However, The Bruins like their U.S. college players; bonus points in that he's going to Boston College next year, which will allow them to keep a close eye on his development.
Comparable: A slightly taller Mike Cammalleri; a high-volume shooter that doesn't have the best size or skating ability, but can completely snipe the puck.

19. San Jose: Nick Suzuki, C/RW
His electrifying ability has propelled him up the board, into the top 20. His versatility on the attack is what intrigues the Sharks because he can play various positions. It should allow for him to eventually coming in and replace some of their aging forwards in the near future.
Comparable: TJ Oshie; he brings a mixture of skill, versatility, playmaking and two-way prowess.

20. St. Louis: Robert Thomas, C
I think the Blues will come into this draft looking for some potential center depth. He'd be the best on the board and this should be right around where he goes.
Comparable: Derek Stepan. He can be an ideal 2nd line center, including playing against tough competition, be a playmaker and be a guy counted on to protect leads.

21. New York Rangers: Erik Brannstrom, D
After seeing what Erik Karlssin has been doing to them this post-season, they go with a highly mobile defender with great smarts, hoping he can have the same development curve as Karlsson. Having smart, mobile puck movers has become the key to success in today's NHL.
Comparable: A Kimmo Timonen or Brian Campbell type. Smaller defenseman that skate well, have high hockey IQ and plays fairly well at both ends of the ice, especially in the offensive zone.

22. Edmonton: Jason Robertson, LW
The Oilers could think he'd be a good complementary player to McDavid, especially given his goal scoring prowess. The speed and skill combo is too much to pass on.
Comparable: Corey Perry... not saying he'll have the same career or upside, just sort of similar in style. Otherwise, if he can't reach that level of play, maybe a Matt Moulson (when he was younger) type of player that'll go to the net and score goals.

23. Arizona [from Minnesota]: Lias Andersson, LW/C
After taking Cale Makar earlier, they go with the two-way, skilled, highly versatile forward in Lias Andersson. He can play a multitude of roles, which makes him a much safer pick compared to the risks surrounding Makar.
Comparable: Alex Steen; he can play on any line, play a multitude of roles, shutdown opposition and can add offense.

24. Columbus: Kailer Yamamoto, RW
His offensive upside is high, with the Blue Jackets never being a team that's afraid to pass on skill because of size issues. I think he'd be an excellent fit, especially considering he can even play center, if necessary.
Comparable: Johnny Gaudreau. Elite level skill, albeit in an smaller body.

25. Montreal: Filip Chytil, C/LW
A late season riser, he gets taken by the Habs, who desperately need center and scoring depth. It helps he's one of the younger eligible players, giving him plenty of room to grow and develop.
Comparable: Paul Stastny; in that he can stickhandle well, make plays and play an overall solid, strong two-way game.

26. Chicago: Conor Timmins, D
The Blackhawks take the best defenseman left on the board, whether it's by design or if they actually think he's the best player left. Guys like Duncan Keith are getting older and have played a lot of hockey within the past 6 years or so. It might be time to take a top end guy to build that section up.
Comparable: Jeff Petry, someone that will be a solid puck-mover, does a little bit of everything and can even lay a hit.

27. St. Louis [from Washington]: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW
The Blues go with a winger with huge size and a big shot. They could theoretically run a line with Tage Thompson and Ratcliffe as the wingers, with a talented center in between them.
Comparable: A Dustin Penner-like, tall complementary winger.

28. Ottawa: Kole Lind, RW
Sens fans think he can be a guy that fits perfectly into their lineup and what they're currently building upon. Can't say I disagree with them, so I have them taking him here, even if he's only a middle 6 type of player.
Comparable: JT Miller; a playmaking offensive forward that can handle his own at both ends of the ice, add some scoring and can make it hard to play against him.

29. Dallas [from Anaheim]: Jake Oettinger, G
If any team desperately needs a goaltender, it's the Stars. They jump on Oettinger late in the first, really liking his talent and compete level, along with his constant improvemnt.
Comparable: Carey Price-like. Not saying he will be exactly like Carey. Just that he has the same size, ability to handle rebounds, calmness and ability. Maybe a lower-tiered Price.

30. Nashville: Urho Vaakanainen, D
Once again, Nashville goes with a defenseman in the first round. This is the modus operandi for years, making sure they've had a strong blueline to build upon. It'll allow them to trade from an area of strength in the future.
Comparable: Dan Hamhuis; back when he was a younger, much more mobile, safe, capable defenseman that was also able to put a few points on the board thanks to his skill and smarts.

31. Pittsburgh: Josh Norris, C
How many more concussions will Sidney Crosby have? It's hard to say, but they need to start thinking about depth down the middle for the future, in case the worst happens. Obviously, he's not on Crosby's level, but it's a good start.
Comparable: Mike Fisher; a heart-and-soul type of complementary center that'll contribute in a secondary role to put up points and play two-way hockey.

[[Round 2]]

32. Colorado: Nicolas Hague, D
Sure, he has the big size; although I think he's going to be the guy that "falls". With teams with mobile, skilled defensemen performing quite well in the playoffs this year, maybe there will be less of an importance on the larger defenders. Just my own opinion.
Comparable: Colton Parayko; most likely a shutdown type of guy with a big shot in the pros. If he can't reach the same highs at Parayko, then maybe a Pavel Kubina, hard-shooting type of defenseman.

33. Vancouver: Jaret Anderson-Dolan, C
If it's true that they really like him, they could take him straight up here. His lack of production in U18 knocks him out of the first round, but the Canucks would love to take him here.
Comparable: Vincent Trochek; an all-out hustling, hard-working, speedy forward with some two-way and playmaking skill.

34. Vegas: Stelio Mattheos, RW
His ties to the Wheat Kings and the Vegas associate GM are there. They will know the type of game he brings and they would bring him on in their new franchise.
Comparable: Viktor Stalberg; in that he can come off the wing with a lot of speed and cause havoc in the offensive zone as a depth scorer.

35. Arizona: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D
They continue building up their backend, taking a guy that's a little more safe and wish good puck movement ability to play on their left side.
Comparable: Jaccob Slavin; good size, can put up points and even shutdown opponents with his smarts and puck movement.

36. New Jersey: Henri Jokiharju, D
After winning 1st overall and taking Nico Hischier, they jump on a defenseman to try and bolster that area of their lineup.
Comparable: Nick Leddy; not the biggest in size, but can move the puck from the back and put up offense with his playmaking.

37. Buffalo: David Farrance, D
His play at the U18 gets him up the board. Born in Rochester, the Sabres would love to take him.
Comparable: Keith Yandle; they play an offensive, pure puck-rushing game.

38. Detroit: Ivan Lodnia, RW/C
They could go for best player available, wanting to add more skill to their forward group. It helps that he's a Michigan native, too.
Comparable: Anthony Beauvillier; they're both lacking in size, but both can buzz around and add some offense.

39. Dallas: Shane Bowers, C
He may not have the most offensive upside, but he can be a solid 3rd line center some day, helping to shutdown the opposition and play hard on the puck. With their center group getting older or maybe moving on, it'll be a wise pick.
Comparable: Zemgus Girgensons; a hard to play against center that will do a lot of the small things to help you win.

40. Florida: Michael Dipietro, G
The Panthers need some upper-tier goaltending depth. Some people even have Dipietro as the number 1 goalie in the draft, depending on who you ask. They'll need someone to step in for Luongo sooner than later.
Comparable: Jonathan Quick. Not the biggest of goalie prospects, but a speedy guy that can make up for the lack of size with lots of agility and smarts.

41. Los Angeles: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G
They're another team that's woefully low in goaltending prospects. Targeting Dipietro, they either trade back or straight up take Luukkonen.
Comparable: Pekka Rinne; big size, good reflexes and starter upside.

42. Carolina: Joni Ikonen, C
They love his skill and pure playmaking ability. Not only that, but they reunite him with Kristian Vesalainen, whom he had amazing chemistry with at the U18's.
Comparable: Mike Ribiero; guys that don't have the most size, but make up for it with offensive playmaking ability, smarts and elusiveness.

43. Winnipeg: Josh Brook, D
Seems like a perfect fit: a western Canadian boy with Mannitoban-ties and a defenseman, something they're in need of.
Comparable: Brett Pesce; a simple, smart puck-moving blueliner that does a little of everything, including keeping his own end safe.

44. Philadelphia: Evan Barratt, C
After winning 2nd overall and taking Nolan Patrick, they keep building up their depth down the middle by taking a local kid that has some jam and playmaking ability in his game. Seems to be a good analytics guy, too.
Comparable: Mikhail Grabovsky. Smaller finesse centers that have a high work ethic and can play well at both ends of the ice.

45. Tampa Bay: Alexei Lipanov, C
The Lightning have never feared the Russian factor. It's even worked out just fine for them. Seems like a good fit.
Comparable: He's sort of a David Krejci/Valterri Filpulla type of center; in that he has good speed and playmaking and passing skill, along with two-way ability.

46. New York Islanders: Jonah Gadjovich, LW
The hard working power forward can be a finisher and can help insulate some of their more skilled guys.
Comparable: Joel Ward; a hard working power winger that'll go to the net to score goals and put up points.

47. Ottawa [from Calgary]: Jesper Boqvist, LW/C
They've had success with Swedish forwards before, may as well go back to that well by targeting the speedy, offensive forward.
Comparable: Jason Zucker; offensive, top 6-potential forwards that will plow up the ice with their speed and create offense with good hands and vision.

48. Tampa Bay [from Toronto]: Grant Mismash, LW
Gives them a physical winger that can score goals and aide in a top 9 role. With a lot of contracts soon coming up, it'll be smart to keep a good rotating core of forward prospects.
Comparable: Nick Foligno; the compact size and physicality to be a leader and a goal scorer on his team.

49. New Jersey [from Boston]: Maxime Comtois, LW/C
They can afford to take the risk by taking the falling forward. He's the type that could definitely make the NHL on his size and frame alone, even if it's just as a 3rd/4th line role.
Comparable: Alex Killorn; most likely a complementary type of player that will help to create time and space for offensive players.

50. Toronto [from San Jose]: Filip Westerlund, D
They go with an undersized Swedish defenseman that has plenty of speed. He could be a good right-handed puck moving option from the back.
Comparable: Sami Vatanen.

51. St. Louis: Morgan Frost, C
It's another attempt at building up their center ranks, owning good skating and skill. He'd be the best left on the board and the Blues would love to add that.
Comparable: Christian Dvorak; a mixture of speed and two-way skill, doing all the little things to help win.

52. Carolina [from New York Rangers]: Mackenzie Entwistle, RW
It's a pick that'll beef up their forward ranks. He may not have the utmost offensive ability, although he could really help shutting down opposing players on a 3rd/4th line role.
Comparable: Troy Brouwer is probably his upside, owning great size and leadership ability.

53. Boston [from Edmonton]: Jack Rathbone, D
Even though he's undersized, he's a local kid that fits a lot of criteria that the Bruins look for in their players. His puck movement skill gets him taken fairly early on the second day, especially after how important it's been in the playoffs.
Comparable: Trevor Daley; a speedy, offense-first puck moving defender.

54. Buffalo [from Minnesota]: Nikita Popugaev, RW
After collecting a lot of players these past few drafts, they can afford to take a risk on the falling Russian forward. If it works out, it'll be quite a boost for them.
Comparable: Nik Antropov; over 6'5" and lanky with skill. Despite his size, he doesn't play a physical game, opting to glay a perimete style.

55. Vancouver [from Columbus]: Dmitri Samorukov, D
After focusing on offensive for their picks so far, they turn towards defense, targeting a big, physical defenseman.
Comparable: Obviously, they'd hope he turn into a Damon Severson type. A guy that was picked later in the second round, has a big booming shot and can play with physicality.

56. Montreal: Marcus Davidsson, C/LW
It's another pick to try and fix their center depth. I'm sure they've seen him play with Vejdemo, so they'll be acquainted with the kind of two-way game he plays.
Comparable: Ondrej Palat. He can play center or wing and add a two-way, playmaking style.

57. Chicago: Maksim Zhukov, G
Their depth in goal isn't the greatest, especially after the departure of Scott Darling. They give it another shot in the arm by taking Zhukov, who has impressed with a steady climb in the rankings all season long.
Comparable: Sergei Bobrovsky; owns the prerequisite size of the modern day goalie, along with having good senses

58. Montreal [from Washington]: Alex Formenton, LW
He plays an incredibly tenacious game with highlight-reel speed. Not sure if his offense will be at the high end, but he can really compete and go hard to the net.
Comparable: Andreas Athanasiou. They both play the game with a ton of speed and use this to play well at both ends of the ice.

59. Anaheim [from Ottawa]: Sasha Chmelevski, C/RW
Having a local Californian-born guy come back home would be too much of a good story to pass up. They'll hope his speed and offense can be an addition, as well.
Comparable: Mason Raymond; speedy, versatile offensive forwards that could play in a middle 6, if necessary.

60. Anaheim: Max Gildon, D
Once touted as a high first rounder, he fell during the season; but had a pretty good U18 tournament, which may have stopped him fall. The Ducks like their bigger, depth defenseman, so they hope he can develop into something.
Comparable: Mattias Ekholm; a big-shooting, larger defenseman that might slip into a #4-6 role.

61. Nashville: Lukas Elvenes, RW
The Predators have always liked their Swedes. He's a guy with excellent hands. Maybe he'll turn into a top 9 offensive forward if he can develop right.
Comparable: David Perron; a forward with good hands and offensive skill, albeit not with an elite upside. A solid completentary offensive type.

62. Carolina [from Pittsburgh]: Ostap Safin, RW
Big wingers still have a high value, even if they are a little lackadaisical. I see Safin going here, with the Hurricanes increasing the size on their wing even further.
Comparable: Anders Lee; big, tall, lumbering wingers that can score and shoot the puck.

[[Round 3]]

63. New Jersey [from Colorado]: Dylan Samberg, D
It's another pick to work on their defense. He owns good size, so maybe he can convert that into at least a bottom pairing guy.
Comparable: Jon Merrill; big in size and has shutdown potential, with a decent shot.

64. Vancouver: Mason Shaw, C/LW
A western Canadian kid goes to the Canucks, who continue to add more offense. He has a lot of talent and skill... it's just that his size is really small.
Comparable: Tyler Johnson; might have trouble making the big league, there's always hope, though, with his ability to make plays and puck skills.

65. Vegas: Scott Reedy, C/RW
An American player goes to the new American team. He drops into the third due to consistency issues. If he ever works it out, he might have top 6 potential.
Comparable: Colin Wilson; has the size and puck skill to be a top 6 guy, despite battling inconsistency. Can he reach it?

66. Florida [from Arizona]: Michael Pastujov, LW/RW
To me, he seems like the type that makes his game at being a strong role player that will battle for pucks and compete hard. For a team on the edge of the playoffs like Florida, who might make it in a few years, he could be a nice add.
Comparable: Jordan Martinook. A high compete level, works hard and can chip in on a bottom 6.

67. Carolina [from New Jersey]: Eemeli Rasanen, D
They like their Finns. With his size, you never know how he'll turn out. The fact that they're currently in a safe position with their defenseman gives them confidence to pick him. A longterm project.
Comparable: Think of a big shutdown type of defender such as Brayden McNabb or Nikita Tryamkin.

68. Buffalo: Aleksi Heponiemi, C
He drops into the third due to size issues. At this position, it could be a complete steal for the Sabres, since he has first round level of talent.
Comparable: Sebastian Aho. He's playmaking skill is near elite status... it's that his size makes him questionable at reaching the league.

69. Arizona [from Detroit]: Cayden Primeau, G
Judging by their love of taking talent with bloodlines, I could see them taking Keith Primeau's son. Seeing as how Keith Primeau used to play with them, it'd be a nice token of respect and they do need goalies...
Comparable: Martin Jones; might take some time to work his way into the league. If he does, he'll need to work on consistency... although he has the size of the modern day goalie.

70. Dallas: Matt Strome, LW
His poor skating is going to knock him into the third, in my opinion. It'll be up to him to prove whether all those other teams passing him is a mistake.
Comparable: Dmitrij Jaskin; has a lot of talent, just that his skating is really poor, which may keep him to only a depth role.

71. Detroit [from Florida]: Keith Petruzelli, G
His play with Muskegon gets him noticed by the Wings, who can't believe he's still on the board. They can't pass on him. Plus he scored a goal this season and that's pretty damn cool.
Comparable: Ben Bishop; another goalie with huge size and great athleticism.

72. Los Angeles: Jonas Rondbjerg, RW
He brings a combo of size and speed, something the Kings are in need of. Once again, they trout in their Euro-scouting to take this Danish forward.
Comparable: Jannik Hansen; a speedy winger that can help with possession and could become a solid depth forward.

73. Carolina: Adam Ruzicka, C/RW
His drops is because of his inconsistent, sometimes lazy play. Other than that, he has the great size that's needed of top 6 centers. At this mark, it'd be hard to pass on him.
Comparable: Mikhail Grigorenko; a big center with a lot of skill, unable to reach his full potential due to lack of consistency.

74. Winnipeg: Nick Henry, RW
The Jets love picking local players. It's an easy pick to make, with Henry being a good top 9 candidate.
Comparable: Chris Kunitz; a guy that can play well in a depth role and do a little bit of everything.

75. Philadelphia: Alexey Toropchenko, RW
They seem to be okay with taking Russians, ie: Provorov. They go back to that well by taking the big, skilled Russian winger. Maybe he becomes a 2/3rd line scorer. It's worth a shot.
Comparable: Benoit Pouliot; owning a big frame and solid skill, he could be a nice depth scoring option for the team that takes him.

76. Tampa Bay: Markus Phillips, D
He seems like a good fit, since he's a smart, positionally strong defender. Maybe he has some top 4 upside, who knows.
Comparable: Andrej Sekera. He plays it safe, making smooth transitional passes, good mobility and plays a generally smart game.

77. New York Islanders: Robin Salo, D
The Islanders go for the best on the board. Salo might have a nice upside, as long as he's given developmental time, and could become a depth defender.
Comparable: David Savard; does a little bit of everything, has a good shot and he can play as a depth defender.

78. Arizona [from Calgary]: Morgan Geekie, C/RW
As an overager -- the first one off the board -- he might be a nice pick for the Coyotes. His age may allow him to jump into the AHL sooner than other prospects, therefore letting him develop in a pro league.
Comparable: Lars Eller; I'm not sure if his offense can translate. I see him more of a nice 2-way forward that can chip in a few points and add some size to a 3rd/4th line.

79. Detroit [from Toronto]: Luke Martin, D
He's another guy whose local play gets him noticed by the Wings. He might end up as a shutdown, depth defender. It's a nice, safe pick.
Comparable: Jordie Benn; excellent size and likes to play a safe, depth game.

80. Philadelphia [from Boston]: Ian Mitchell, D
They've had success in taking undersized defenders in the third round and beyond. Why not continue?
Comparable: Andy Greene; not a big defenseman, or a highly offensive one. He's a guy that'll play a smart, yet mobile, game from the back, focusing on defense first.

81. San Jose: Nathan Schnarr, C
It gives the Sharks a sizeable, rangey center that can be a project.
Comparable: Eric Fehr; a big center-forward that likes to put the puck on the net and will take time to develop.

82. Edmonton [from St. Louis]: Stuart Skinner, G
Even though they have Cam Talbot for now, they'll need someone for the future. They go locally, taking an Edmonton kid that's been "known" for a while now.
Comparable: Kari Lehtonen; great size and skill... with large bouts of inconsistency. When he's on, he's on; but can really get off his game, which knocks him into the third.

83. Detroit [from New York Rangers]: Jake Leschyshyn, C
Injuries may have knocked him down the board somewhat; although I think he has good upside and maybe even #2 center upside. It could be something the Red Wings would like to add, given their lack of center depth.
Comparable: He's a chippy, two-way center that owns a lot of speed and has some skill. Think of a Cody Eakin-Tomas Plekanec type, with a lot of stickwork and good play in all 3 zones.

84. Edmonton: Zach Gallant, C
The ID of the team is now built upon hard work and skill to be built around Connor McDavid. With his ability to win faceoffs, it could be a welcome add for the team.
Comparable: A hard-working, defensive center in the mould of a Manny Malhotra or Brooks Laich. He can win faceoffs and be a battler. The type of guy that'll win you championships, in my opinion.

85. Minnesota: Nate Knoepke, D
Minnesota enjoys going with local kids. In this case, they go with the big, keep it simple defender.
Comparable: Derek Forbort; a 6'4" shutdown defender that'll possibly be a #5-6 type of guy if he makes it.

86. Columbus: Jack Studnicka, C
The Blue Jackets add a jack-of-all trades center with enough pro-potential that he could become a bottom 6 kind of guy.
Comparable: Nick Bonino; a "safe" two-way guy that can do a little bit of everything.

87. Montreal: Antoine Morand, RW/C
Not only do they go for a local kid, they go with the best on the board, albeit a guy who is small in size. These types usually go around this mark, so with the Habs looking for a shot of offense, they could target him.
Comparable: In size, stature and feisty offensive ability, he is similar to Brayden Point, who also went in the third round.

88. Detroit [from Chicago]: Clayton Phillips, D
They go for a more puck-moving style of defenseman. He might work out, given his speed and offensive ability.
Comparable: John-Michael Liles; they play the same type of game: undersized, with great mobility and offensive acumen.

89. Buffalo [from Washington]: Cale Fleury, D
Strong on the puck and can play a smooth-skating, physical brand of hockey, he would be an excellent pick for the Sabres at this spot, in my opinion.
Comparable: Brendan Smith; he's likely to become a physical, mobile, aggressive depth guy.

90. Chicago [from Ottawa]: Ivan Chekhovich, RW
With Artemi Panarin on their Russian, they have a pretty easy idea of taking Russians. He's a guy with talent and skill, just not with the most size.
Comparable: Gustav Nyquist; not the biggest of players, but has a lot of skill and talent that could help him make a top 6 role, if he can get past the Russian factor and lack of size.

91. Anaheim: Ian Scott, G
In terms of goaltenders in waiting, they don't have the best collection of guys, even though they have John Gibson for now. It's still smart to keep a full deck of guys with talent.
Comparable: Cam Talbot; another typical tall goaltender that also battles inconsistency, while also showing a good demeanour and puck-stopping ability.

92. Nashville: Santeri Virtanen, C/LW
Injuries might have cost him his spot in draft rankings. That said, his U18 tournament went quite well and was a standout player for Team Finland with his play.
Comparable: Jori Lehtera; likely a depth center/winger at the pro level. He also owns good skill and two-way ability.

93. Pittsburgh: Noel Hoefenmayer, D
He's going to be a project that may/may not work out. Even so, his puck movement could be a good option for the Penguins.
Comparable: Dennis Wideman; I could see him become an inconisteny offensive defenseman that plays a depth, puck-movement role.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
For the Flames, would rather have any of the three behind our pick, Kostin, Tolvanen, Suzuki, with a preference to Suzuki. The last thing the Flames need is another left-hand shooting centre.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just a note on the Canes front, I'd bet on them taking a goalie some time in the first 3 rounds, likely with one of the 3 2nds.

Pretty well thought out, nice job overall.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
For the Sabres, if the board fell this way:

8: Liljegren over Valimaki all day long

37: Bowers over a second D.

54: I like the Popugayev pick.

68: Strome won't drop but if he is, snag him.

89: I like the Fleury pick.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think Van takes Glass over Mittle right now. There is a big (?) with Mittle and they can't afford to miss with this pick.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just a small point in the 2nd round...the Ducks will get the 50th pick (SJ originally) instead of the 60th pick (Ottawa originally). The deal with Toronto was that the Ducks would get the middle of the three Toronto picks which is the SJ pick.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
At 49 the Devils would take Chmelevski or Frost or over Comtois.
Maybe even Aleksi Heponiemi who could be a steal when his frame fills out.

But, very good job here, one of the better mocks on HFB.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'd love for the Stars to get Heiskanen and Oettinger. That's my best case scenario 1st round.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Leafs won't take a RW at 17. They'll probably target Hague, Brannstrom, Timmins, or Foote. If they feel they can trade back and still get one they will. Haven't been shy to do it before.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leafs won't take a RW at 17. They'll probably target Hague, Brannstrom, Timmins, or Foote. If they feel they can trade back and still get one they will. Haven't been shy to do it before.

also leafs related, leafs 2nd is pick 59. Anaheim gets pick 50. Don't think its a big deal I guess just switch the 2 teams and use the same players

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
As a Habs fan I'd be happy with this.

Last edited:

MegalodonOnIce

Dec 23, 2015
Great White North
If the Panthers take DiPietro, does Luongo get Islanders flashbacks from 2000? :laugh:

As for your projections for the Sharks, I wouldn't be upset with it at all. Personally, I would lean towards Lias Andersson over Nick Suzuki, but I don't know much about Suzuki to be definitive.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I don't really like the Sabres pick at #8 but the other four seem well thought out. Love the idea of taking risks when you have 5 picks in top 89. If you hit the HR awesome, if not, tough to give out 5 contracts from one draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad