NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension Final Full Mock Draft for 2021

newdimension

May 18, 2013
With the draft legitimately just days away, it's time for the annual full 7-round mock draft that I like to do. As per usual, it comes with some notes.

First off, I'm not a scout, nor do I get to see every player. Along with that, obviously not everyone will live up to be equal to their comparable player. It'd be ludicrous to think so. It's more of a guess-timate of how I could potentially see them develop.

There'll be a per-team summary at the end for the usual "tl,dr" crowd... which I'm probably one. Remember: it's just a fun, fan-made exercise.

Oh, and there's no trades. I'm just using what's given. And I'm about 98% sure that all picks are correct. There may be some errors along the way because there's a lot to track.

(This was written in the midst of a flurry of trades before the roster free, so I had to go back and re-write some things and move some picks & players around. If there's any errors, blame that. Well, that; and because I never proofread.)

ROUND 1
---

1. Buffalo: Owen Power, D
It's going to be either Power or William Eklund, in my opinion. You don't see a lot of 5'10" forwards going first overall in the draft, so I'm thinking it'll still be Owen Power and they'll try as hard as possible to get another top pick in the draft for Eklund. It wouldn't shock me if they were walking out with both Power and Eklund by the end of the draft, in all honesty. However, if they don't straight up select Eklund here, they run the very real risk of Seattle selecting Eklund. Even though they have Dahlin, they can take Power, giving them a stallion on the backend to help build up their blueline, which is also in shambles.

Comparison: Dustin Byfuglien. While he's not currently at a Byfuglien level, it's probably what the team that drafts him aspires him to be. He's a 6'6" kid that moves incredibly well with/without the puck, has a long reach, can put up some points and plays a well-rounded game from the blueline. I don't foresee him as a high-end point producer, nor do I foresee him as a huge star. He's more of a situationally responsible, well-rounded defenseman that's huge in size with great mobility.

2. Seattle: Matthew Benies, C
Ron Francis has been open about wanting to get players with his IQ. Beniers would certainly fill the mold of what they'd like, especially since it's hard to find top end centers in the draft. While he's not likely to be a first line guy, he's still someone that commands the rink at all ends of the ice and can bring a never quit motor. They'll hope he can play the role that Jordan Staal plays for the Carolina Hurricanes, which is the team Ron Francis used to manage.

Comparison: Bo Horvat. He's a factotum type of two-way, well-rounded center that does a little of everything at great pace and speed. While he's not likely a huge point-getter, he's someone that does all the little things to help his team win games, ie: winning faceoffs, playing physical, providing depth offense, killing penalties, etc.. His ability to move with the puck also makes him a transition machine, excelling at offensive and defensive transitions.

3. Anaheim: Dylan Guenther, RW/LW
On one hand, I could see the Sabres trying to collect one of the next few picks to try and grab William Eklund, including Anaheim's 3rd overall pick. For now, since there are no trades, I'll stick to what I'm given and have the Ducks select Guenther, while Eklund has a Marco Rossi-like fall due to height concerns. Even though Guenther didn't have an amazing U18, he's still highly valued, especially as a winger to play with Trevor Zegras.

Comparison: Max Pacioretty. Like Pacioretty, he's a well-rounded player and knows how to put pucks in the net. He's got good speed, navigates well around the ice, has solid hockey IQ and has potential to become a top 6 goal-scoring winger.

4. New Jersey: Luke Hughes, D
The urge to reunite the Hughes brothers would be too difficult for the Devils to pass on. Grabbing Luke would be great for them, especially since he can also play on the right side of defense even though he's a left-hander. Born in early September, just a few weeks before the cutoff date for the draft, the Devils would feel he has plenty of development and growth left, feeling he's a high-upside pick.

Comparison: Cam Fowler. Reading some old Fowler reports, you could practically place Hughes's name in there and it'd be like reading the same thing. You basically get a mobile, two-way defenseman with plenty of offensive and transition ability, who has top line potential. Just like his brothers, he comes with really good skating.

5. Columbus: Mason McTavish, C/LW
It wouldn't surprise me if they're a team that's high on McTavish. It reminds me of the Pierre-Luc Dubois situation from a few years ago. He strikes a lot of boxes in regards to things they like in players and has shown a consistent improvement throughout the year. With their need for centers, he'd make a stellar choice, especially after his U18 performance.

Comparison: David Backes, in his prime. While his upside is probably something akin to a Jamie Benn, especially for the team that drafts him. If I were to guess, he'll become something like a prime Backes... which is still a really good two-way power center. While his skating isn't elite, he's still a potential power center that can shoot the puck, score goals and goes to the crease to score, fights for rebounds, brings solid defense and has leadership potential.

6. Detroit: William Eklund, LW/C
First off, if he's still even here, knowing that their trusted European scouts have gotten a long and plentiful look at him, the Wings would likely be all over him and feel like they're getting a huge steal. He's possibly a top 3 talent in the draft, whose size is the only thing that holds him from going higher. It also wouldn't surprise me if the Sabres tried to trade for this pick if he's still there.

Comparison: Sebastian Aho. To me, he's like a shorter version of Sebastian Aho. He gets by using his monstrous hockey IQ, brings a never-quit mentality and he has an abundant amount of talent to both create plays and finish them off. There's even a chance of him shifting to center. The only thing that holds him back from getting selected first overall is his lack of height. Otherwise, he's a very well-rounded, taleted prospect that's done incredibly well in the SHL.

7. San Jose: Brandt Clarke, D
Ideally, they'd grab a center; or even trade back to target a Fyodor Svechkov-like player, while receiving another 2nd rounder. Because there's no trades, I'll have them selecting Clarke here, feeling like Karlsson and Burns can tutor him to be an effective player. Like those 2 aforementioned names, he comes with high offensive upside and is too good to pass on in this range... and he just kind of feels like a Sharks' type of player.

Comparison: John Klingberg. He's a pure offensive defenseman with good size. Despite his odd skating, he makes up for it with his incredibly large hockey IQ that'll allows him to put up points and commandeer a powerplay.

8. Los Angeles: Simon Edvinsson, D
Last year, they took the tall, lanky, athletic player that was scrutinized justifiably, who also has high-upside. There's a theme there. They follow that same pattern and swing for the fences by selecting Edvinsson, who some services have ranked as high as 3rd overall. They've shown a liking towards Swedes in the past and that likely hasn't changed a bit.

Comparison: Colton Parayko. He's large in size and incredibly mobile, which bodes well for his ability to transition with the puck and to transition his way into the league. That said, there are concerns about overall offensive upside and his IQ. There's plenty of tools with him, though, which still makes him a very sought after prospect despite some concerns over his play this year.

9. Vancouver: Kent Johnson, LW/C
While they're hoping a defenseman falls, Kent Johnson is still a respectable consolation prize. The fact that he's a local BC boy just makes the pick even more intriguing. In terms of offensive skill, he's probably got one of the highest upsides in the draft. It's just in question if he can put it all together or not and play at a better pace.

Comparison: He's something between a Brad Richards to Casey Mittelstadt. Brad Richards is his high-end. Richards was a similar style of smaller frame, slow,
yet incredibly creative, playmaking forward that had huge skill and could make plays look easy. Maybe Casey Mittelstadt is another comparable, which is still pretty good, as Mittelstadt has finally started producing.

10. Ottawa: Sebastian Cossa, G
I've seen several pundits ruminate about Cossa possibly going first BEFORE Wallstedt. I'll be crazy and jump on it, too. Let's get wild. In terms of upside, I think he's got as much as Wallstedt and he has that size, too. For the Sens, they're stocked well in almost every position. Giving them a big goalie of the future is the next step in pushing them forward.

Comparison: Pekka Rinne. Pekka was a similar sized huge goalie with amazing reflexes and agility, much like Cossa. He's got the potential to become a stud goalie with major upside, able to cover the crease and net with his large frame.

11. Arizona: Forfeit.
What a whoops by Arizona/John Chayka. Any of Sebastian Cossa/Cole Sillinger/Chaz Lucius/etc. would look good for them. That said, they'll probably try to trade into the first round by dealing Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

12. Chicago: Jesper Wallstedt, G
The Hawks make it easy at this point and run for the hills with Wallstedt. I know they drafted Drew Commesso at the previous draft, but running with a Wallstedt + Commessa tandem is just too tempting. Plus they could always trade Commesso for depth if he shows signs of being a starter. It's a crazy year, so let's have 2 goalies go in the top 12.

13. Calgary: Fyodor Svechkov, C
Svechkov's extremely high on Craig Button's list. With Buttons ties to the Flames organization, it might tip their hand. The Flames have drafted a few Russians in recent years. With Svechkov's performance as a shutdown center at the U18 tournament, he's likely to have turned heads and raised eyebrows. We've seen how important guys such as Cirelli, Danault, etc. were during the previous playoffs. They may want to target a center to shore up that positions.

Comparison: Travis Zajac. For over a decade, Zajac has been one of the premiere two-way, shutdown centers in the league. That could be a similar pattern for Svechkov, who may not have the best pure offensive skill. Instead, he uses his excellent hockey smarts and elite-level defensive skills to produce. His versatility should allow him to play a middle-six center role and he should anchor special team assignments on the penalty kill.

14. Philadelphia: Cole Sillinger, C/LW
If Sillinger was a surprise pick in the top 10, it wouldn't shock me. He's someone that can play center or wing and will bring his borderline-elite shooting ability to play in the league. He played in the USHL last year, a league that the Flyers tend to scout very heavily. If he's still there, I'm pretty sure they're running for the hills with him, hoping he can potentially be a center.

Comparison: Joe Pavelski. Sillinger, just like Pavelski, isn't known for being exactly fleet of foot. It's one of his major downsides. That said, also like Pavelski, he really knows how to wire a puck. He's got one of the best shots in the draft, some tenacity and grit, along with the ability to go to the dangerous areas to tip in pucks. Also like Pavelski, he can play center or wing.

15. Dallas: Brennan Othmann, LW
Othmann's play at the U18 has really boosted his stock. From his tenacity, to his ability to shoot the puck, it's given scouts confidence that he has top-six power winger potential. The Stars have ties to the OHL team in Flint, which is Othmann's home team, and they scoop him off the board here, loving what he could potentially bring.

Comparison: Dustin Brown. Othmann's a stocky power winger that can be a pain to play against. He hits and loves to score goals, makes life hard in front of the net for opposing goaltenders and can unleash a lot of shots.

16. New York Rangers: Chaz Lucius, C/RW
If the Rangers think Lucius could potentially play as a center for them, they'd probably give him a shot. While it's likely he shifts to the wing, it's worth a shot, with Lucius showing great potential as a goal scorer. If it works out, then fine. If not, at least they still have a talented goal-scoring winger to keep their depth strong.

Comparison: Oliver Wahlstrom. Like Wahlstrom, he's not a great skater, making up for it with a knack for scoring goals, whether it's with his shot or his ability to clean up around the net and score garbage goals. He's got top-six upside, either as a winger or as a center.

17. St. Louis: Matthew Coronato, RW/C/LW
They could go for defense... or they could take the best player available. I have them going for the latter, with Coronato adding more talent to their core. They need more skill in their lineup, thus Coronato is worth a shot. He helped the Chicago Steel win the Clarke Cup and was a dominant scoring winger, putting a ton of goals in ths USHL this year.

Comparison: Jake Guentzel. Guentzel is always near the top in the league in high-danger shots, which is exactly the type of game Coronato is likely to bring. He works hard, never gives up on a play, competes every night, loves unleashing his wicked shot and knows where to go to position himself for goals/points.

18. Winnipeg: Corson Ceulemans, D
There's a need for a right-handed, offensive defenseman with a big, booming shot on the Jets blueline... and hey, look, there's Corson Ceulemans right there. At this point, they can't pass on him, as they'd love his size and the tools that he could bring. Ceulemans's ranking is a little all over the place based on his lack of activity due to the pandemic. Thankfully, he had a promising showing at the U18 event that should help his stock.

Comparison: Mikhail Sergachev. I don't think he has the overall talent and upside as a Sergachev, but I think he plays a similar type of game. He's big, he's mobile, he's physical and can provide offensive support from the blueline. He's got a big point shot, which can also help any team's powerplay.

19. Nashville: Isak Rosen, RW/LW
Isak Rosen out-classed his fellow countrymates, Fabian Lysell and Simon Robertsson, at the U18's. As such, it may have boosted his stock, perhaps even eclipsing him over them. The Preds grab him here, loving the speed and offensive ability that he can provide from the wing, feeling it's exactly what they need more of in their system.

Comparison: Jakub Vrana. Rosen's got outstanding speed and skill, along with solid ability to score goals. He's someone that can rush off the wing and provide a high-motor that'll enable him to score goals.

20. Edmonton: Zachary L'Heureux, LW
Since they've gone to the Q a bit in the past, they may head back there to targer L'Heureux, who could become a solid complementary winger to play alongside any of McDavid, Draisaitl or Holloway. As a warning, he'll need to learn how to hold himself back from going over the line, as he was suspended multiple times this past season, which could be seen as a negative/positive depending on the team that drafts him.

Comparison: Darcy Tucker. L'Heureux is an aggressive hothead pest when on the ice. Not only can be provide offense, he also provides an uptempo, power foward style of game. Unfortunately, he'll also have to tone down on some of his antics if he wants to make it. There's skill there and he'll have to know how to play perfectly on the edge if he wants to succeed.

21. Boston: Zachary Bolduc, C/LW
Bolduc gives the Bruins some depth down the middle, along with a smart forward that knows how to play a well-rounded skill game. While the season wasn't perfect for Bolduc, they think he can get back to form when he's healthy and recovered from injuries and with the pandemic in the rear view mirror. It feels like the type of swing that the Bruins would be willing to take.

Comparison: Josh Norris. Bolduc's got the potential to become a 2nd line scoring forward (or maybe even more), whose versatility will allow him to play any position necessary. He's decent at everything, has some good all-around smarts and has an excellent penchant for shooting the puck and scoring goals. There's a very high end amount of potential in him. It's just depends on if he can reach it or not because there are things he needs to work on, including his skating.

22. Minnesota: Nikita Chibrikov, RW
With Kirill Kaprivoz's recent success, they seem like they're more open to drafting Russian talent. In fact, Chibrikov is also the teammate of current Wild prospect, Marat Khusnutdinov, so it may work out perfectly for both sides. Chibrikov helped captain Russia to a silver medal at the U18's and his play should reflect well, with his lack of size being the only thing that keeps him from going higher.

Comparison: Travis Konecny. Chibrikov's a hard-working, skilled winger with excellent speed. He's known to bounce off opposing players like a ping-pong ball in order to attack and provides a well-rounded game, even if he isn't the largest player on the ice.

23. Detroit [from Washington]: Fabian Lysell, RW
For Lysell, I could see him going really early -- as in the top 10 -- or he falls much more than thought due to some perceived attitude issues. That said, if anyone's aware of any issues, it'd be the Wings and their European scouting staff. If Hakan Andersson gives them the thumbs up, they'd happily take him here.

Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. Lysell's an undersized forward that boasts plenty of playmaking skill and talent. He can use his jets to fly up and down the ice to disrupt play at both ends, providing stellar offense from the wing.

24. Florida: Carson Lambos, D
Florida needs more defense. If Lambos falls, he might be a good option for them here. They'll think and hope that he can get back to his prior season's form, feeling that this pandemic year and his struggles have been an aberration. They've definitely been able to scout his game while he played in Finland, so if they think he can be a contributor, they'd certainly take him.

Comparison: Ryan McDonagh. Lambos is an all-around defenseman that does a little of everything. At his best, he could become similar to a younger McDonagh, who was fast, physical, had excellent two-way prowess and was armed with a heavy shot, all traits that Lambos has.

25. Columbus [from Toronto]: Daniil Chayka, D
Chayka's stock has taken a bit of a hit throughout the season. However, I could still see teams valuing him as a first round choice. The Blue Jackets pick him up, feeling as if he can add stability to their core. With Seth Jones on the way out, they're going to need big, mobile defenseman to potentially replace him and Chayka seems like the perfect type.

Comparison: Brady Skjei. Chayka's upside may not be as high as it once was. However, there's still a chance he becomes a highly mobile, two-way presence on the way, who can skate well up and down the ice and provide some all-around play thanks to his big point shot.

26. Minnesota [from Pittsburgh]: Xavier Bourgault, C/RW
They need some centers in their system. Bourgault has the potential to be one, as he plays both wing and center... and he certainly has the potential, smarts and creativity to work as one. He'll just need to learn how to tighten up defensively. With their focus on analytics, he probably scores high within that area, as he can be zone entry machine.

Comparison: Mike Hoffman. There's top-six upside in Bourgault, it just depends on if he can reach it and play a consistent game or not. As a multi-faceted offensive forward with skill, he's able to make dangerous passes and can also be counted on to score goals. Consistency and defensive play are still things he needs to work on, however.

27. Carolina: Logan Stankoven, RW
In my opinion, Stankoven is a top 15 talent in this draft. Unfortunately, even with the breakthroughs of smaller players, teams still covet size. Fortunately for Carolina, they tend to go with talent before size. They sweep him off the board at #27 and don't look back, feeling he's got definite top-six talent.

Comparison: Cam Atkinson. Stankoven's undersized, standing only 5'8", yet plays a greasy, tenacious game that allows him to drive hard to the net and produce. He knows how to put pucks in the net and had a solid showing in a top-six role for Canada at the Under-18's. He's got the talent to pot 40 goals like Atkinson once did. Not saying he will, just that the talent is there.

28. Colorado: Wyatt Johnston, C/RW
It's really hard to say exactly how the Avs will play it out this year. They're under a new head scout, so they may change things up a bit. Who knows. For now, though, I'll say with their need for more center depth, Wyatt Johnston could be their guy. In the past, they've loved players that have shown up and played well at tournaments, which describes Johnston's performance at the U18's. He's someone that feels like has been rising up lists as a late riser.

Comparison: Jarrett Stoll. Johnston plays an excellent, all-around, two-way game. He works hard on the ice and profiles as a middle-six, possible 3rd line center, who wins important faceoffs, shuts down opposition and can play a gritty game. He's kind of like a lower tiered version of Beniers.

29. New Jersey [from New York Islanders]: Tyler Boucher, LW/RW
Boucher is my pick for someone that could go higher than expected. With him being from the Jersey area, it might make a good match here. The Devils would love to add a power forward to their ranks. With L'Heureux off the board, they go to the next best physical player in Boucher, who's one of the best at playing physical in this draft. It's a pick similar in the mould of last year's selection of Shakir Mukhamadullin in that it's a pick based around physical upside.

Comparison: Milan Lucic. Boucher can be someone that gets under the skin of opponents, plows through the opposition, drives other teams mad and can also add a bit of skill, scoring prowess and leadership. He's the type of player that'll legit run through you and play a battering ram style of game.

30. Vegas: Francesco Pinelli, C/LW
Vegas wouldd love to increase their center depth. Therefore, they draft Pinelli and hope for the best. Some aspects of his game could keep him from being drafted higher, not to mention the fact he played in a much-lesser league last year. Thankfully, he had a decent performance at the U18, where he proved his worth. Frankly, they'd probably be shocked that they can get him here.

Comparison: Alex Steen. Pinelli plays with a high-IQ. He's not a speedster, making up for it with his excellent hockey senses and versatility. He's got some skill that could help him translate as a top end Swiss Army Knife type of forward.

31. Montreal: Matthew Knies, LW
Knies had an incredibly bad start to the year. However, somewhere around the halfway point, things seemed to click for him. Players that show vast improvements such as that are the type of players Montreal loves drafting. Not to mention, his size and skill combo makes him extremely attractive. After their recent playoff run, it's clear they love guys with size that can help dictate play and play a crash style of game. Plus he's American and they love drafting Americans.

Comparison: Drake Batherson. Knies is a skilled power winger type of forward. He's got good skill for his size and can be hard to maintain when he's at the top of his game. He's kind of a boom-or-bust type that also knows how to provide some offense and grit.

32. Columbus [from Tampa Bay]: Mackie Samoskevich, RW/C
If Samoskevich is on the board at the end of the first round, the Jackets would be rise to select him, hoping to bring him in as a center or as a winger. They go for pure talent and offensive upside first and foremost. Samoskevich helped the Chicago Steel to win the Clarke Cup and some feel like he has major offensive skill.

Comparison: Ryan Strome. Samoskevich has offensive, playmaking skill and can dangle for days with the puck, making opposing defenses look silly. The only thing holding him back is his lack of size. Other than that, he's a supremely skilled forward that has the potential to fit into a top-six offensive role.

---------

ROUND 2

33. Buffalo: Aatu Raty, C
Raty has taken a beating this year in terms of the criticism he's received... some of which is just. He came into the year thought of as the first round selection, only to fall out of the first round and become the first pick of day 2. If I'm the Sabres, I'm taking him here, with the hopes that this season was an aberration and he can get things back together next year. If it works out, they've got more center depth to deal with, which is good!

Comparison: Nolan Patrick. Raty's situation kind of reminds me of Nolan Patrick, who came into his draft year highly sought after, but has underwhelmed and produces in mainly a depth role. Even so, it'll be worth a shot to take him on, especially if a team wants to procure more center depth.

34. Anaheim: Shai Buium, D
Being from the California region, Buium would make a good fit for the Ducks, adding some size and depth to their left hand side of defense. They feel he could potentially make a good pairing alongside Jamie Drysdale.

Comparison: Travis Sanheim. Currently, Buium doesn't skate as wellas Sanheim. However, he plays the same type of potential-top four upside skill. He's got really nice hands, but he needs to figure out how to play with more pace. Likely a two-way guy at the top level.

35. Seattle: Jack Peart, D
Ron Francis has been known to covet some American defenseman in his career. With Peart winning the "Mr. Hockey" award for Minnesota high school hockey, along with almost leading Fargo to win the Clarke Cup, he's likely moving up draft boards. They get him here, hoping to boost their stock on defense.

Comparison: Devon Toews. Peart's ability to skate with/without the puck is outstanding, allowing him to transition pucks with ease. He's the type of modern day defenseman that may not be huge in size, making up for it with his smarts and ability to keep the puck in motion.

36. Vegas [from New Jersey]: Oskar Olausson, LW/RW
Vegas has been known to take the best player available and try to turn them into something, including fallers. Olausson could be that guy in those regards. He's someone that teeters on first round consideration, landing on Vegas's laps, where he'd find a good home, as they tend to love their big, mobile wingers.

Comparison: Brandon Saad, at best, to a Magnus Paajarvi type of talent. Olausson's a tall winger with plenty of speed and some two-way skill. He may not have the offensive upside as once thought, or when he started the year, yet still has the potential to become an effective middle-six winger that can slot into multiple roles and skate like the wind.

37. Arizona [from Columbus]: Zach Dean, C/LW
Dean's ability to play center might get him selected earlier than this. For now, I'll have him selected by the Coyotes, who need some depth down the middle. They'll hold out hope that he can develop into something, all thanks to his bulldog-like mentality when on the ice.

Comparison: Tyler Bozak. Dean's a three-zone forward that competes hard and could turn into a middle-six option at some point. He's got skill, excellent stickhandling, playmaking ability, competitiveness and can be a threat in all-situations, even playing on a second powerplay wave. He still needs to work on the defensive aspects of the game, but there's some valuable tools in his game.

38. Detroit: Olen Zellweger, D
It wouldn't shock me if the Wings used a few picks to take some of Team Canada U18's squad. First up would be Olen Zellweger, whom they feel could become a nice partner to play alongside Moritz Seider. Seider, of course, would cover for Zellweger's lack of size, allowing Olen to provide some offense from the point. He's got the talent of a first rounder, only falling due to his lack of height.

Comparison: Samuel Girard. I use the Girard comparison lightly because he doesn't have the same elite skating that Girard has. That said, they're both undersized 5'9"/5'10" defenseman that move well and have really keen vision and good production.

39. Ottawa [from San Jose]: Samuel Helenius, C
After grabbing the goalie, Cossa, in the first round, they next target their center depth by taking the huge Finnish center, Samuel Helenius. While his upside may not be high, he's someone that likely competes in a bottom-six role and uses his size to help shutdown the opposition, making him a valuable addition to their core of prospects. Guys that are large in size tend to go earlier than expected at the draft, which is right up the Sens's alley.

Comparison: Adam Lowry. Helenius is a 6'6" beast that profiles as a shutdown type of center at the pro-level. Likely not a big offensive producer, he's someone that gets the job done on defense, uses his long reach to cut-off plays and uses his size to go to the net, playing a power-center's game.

40. Nashville [from Los Angeles]: Aleksi Heimosalmi, D
Fresh off being named one of the best defenseman at the Under-18's, Heimosalmi is another name that's been rising fast, with the only thing keeping him out of the first round is his lack of size. Standing 5'11", he's someone that brings consistency at both ends of the ice, making him the perfect selection for Nashville, who need more help with their backend. At the U18 Tournament, he showed his abilities with end-to-end rushes, solid defensive play, offense and even some physicality for Finland that's boosted him up the board and makes him a potential top-four defenseman. They'd probably compare him a lot to their own Roman Josi, with how Josi was also a 2nd round selection.

Comparison: Rasmus Sundin... but there's some Adam Fox in his game, in that he's an undersized, fast moving, high IQ defenseman that makes few mistakes. However, comparing him to the reigning Norris winner might be a little too lofty.

41. Vancouver: Kirill Kirsanov, D
The Canucks are in need of some stabilizing defensemen, especially on the right side. Even though Kirsanov is a LHD, he is one of the best defensive defensemen in the draft and they'd be wise to pick him up here, feeling he can bring a defensive presence to their blueline that other guys can't.

Comparison: Ian Cole. Kirsanov is a meat-and-potatoes type of shutdown defenseman that'll make life difficult for opposing offenses to create traction. He's blessed with a heavy point shot, too, which should help him out in the offensive end. Overall, though, he's got some work to do on his skating and will predominantly be a stay-at-home type.

42. Ottawa: Brent Johnson, D
Brent Johnson's going to the University of North Dakota next year. You may as well just hand him his Senators sweater right now. The Sens are already stocked well on defense, although adding a guy such as Johnson to their right side might be a really valued pick. A guy like Johnson is yet another notch in their belt.

Comparison: Ty Smith. Johnson profiles as a modern day type of mobile, smart, two-way defenseman. He can use his ability to log a lot of minutes, put up points and also defends quite well for his size.

43. Arizona: Sasha Pastujov, LW/RW
His skating could scare off several teams, resulting in him dropping into Arizona's lap. On the other hand, Arizona would be thrilled to get him here. They don't have a first rounder, so they'd feel like someone with first round talent has fallen to them. Pastujov was team USA's best forward at an underwhelming u18 and the Coyotes hope they can work on his skating to make him a dangerous offensive talent.

Comparison: David Perron. The comparable I've used throughout the year is Perron, who was also a horrendous skater when he was drafted. He had a boatload of skill, but the skating wasn't there. Over time, though, he worked on it and he's been able to develop into a well-rounded prospect that scores and sets up plays. If Pastujov wants to succeed, he'll have to follow the same path as Perron.

44. Chicago: Colton Dach, LW
As per usual, size still gets you drafted high, especially in the case of Kirby Dach's brother, who they hope to reunite. They probably jump on him early in case he's not there later, taking him now, giving them some more size and depth upfront. With Caleb Jones now on their roster, it makes them a potential hotspot for a Seth Jones trade. With those brothers potentially reunited, why not reunite the Dach's, as well?

Comparison: Charlie Coyle. While he doesn't have the same top-end upside as his older brother, Colton still does a lot of good things. From his size, to his smarts and all-around play, he can add some chippiness and depth from the wing.
f

45. Calgary: Simon Robertsson, RW
The Flames need an influx of speed and skill into their system. Robertsson could potentially bring exactly that. Maybe it's due to their play at the U18's, but I've got a feeling that the Swedes could drop. Simon Robertsson could be one of those fallers since he didn't have an overly successful tourney.

Comparison: Jason Zucker, but with more size. A pure shooter with good speed and a lot of physicality, Robertsson's a power forward that stands an even 6' and is described by his coach as someone that "shoots as hard as he kicks". It's a quote I love and it's certainly true. I've struggled a bit to get a good comparison for him, eventually settling for Jason Zucker.

46. Philadelphia: Scott Morrow, D
If any team has the bravery to take a kid coming from the high school ranks, it's Philadelphia. Morrow gives them another body to use on their blueline. He's someone with vast potential, with some sources considering him a viable first round candidate, who only drops due to concerns over quality of competition. If he's there for the Flyers, I'd expect them to give him a chance.

Comparison: Keith Yandle. Morrow's a defenseman that's got a lot of size, mobility and offensive skill. He's a toolsy player that can perhaps turn into someone that potentially runs a powerplay. There's defensive deficiencies in his game, too. He'll need to work on that if there's hope for him to making it to the pros.

47. Dallas: Prokhor Poltapov, LW/RW
Dallas could use a few more players that play a competitive, offensive game such as Poltapov. He really stood out at the U18's, playing on a smaller rink surface, which bodes well for his draft rankings. He's a potential first round candidate, with the Russian factor being one of the few things that keep him out.

Comparison: Anthony Beauvillier/Tuomo Ruutu. He's kind of a mix of the two. Like Beauvillier, he can be a little inconsistent, yet can also bring a lot of speed, talent and tenacity to a lineup, really turning up in big games. He can recklessly go through the competition with physicality, allowing him or his teammates to provide offense. He's kind of a unicorn in the sense that the type of game he plays is kind of unique. As such, it wouldn't surprise me if a team went off the board with him in the first round.

48. Detroit [from New York Rangers]: Benjamin Gaudreau, G
If they pass on taking Wallstedt in the first round, the Wings would probably want to use one of their 2nd rounders on a goalie to boost their depth in net. Gaudreau aided Canada to gold at the U18's and was named best goaltender. It's a worthy shot here.

Comparison: Craig Anderson. Gaudreau's an incredibly athletic, calm goalie that moves fast and reacts quickly to shooters. After not playing in the OHL this year, his play at the U18 keeps him within the top 50 of the draft.

49. Los Angeles [from St. Louis]: Samu Tuomaala, RW
Finns have always been welcome in Los Angeles. If they're getting him late in the 2nd, it's a potential huge steal. He's shown he has first round potential and offensive upside. The only thing that keeps him from being drafted higher is his lack of size and some lesser skating ability. On the plus side, he can certainly shoot a puck, which forces them to hold out hope that he can play alongside Quinton Byfield.

Comparison: Eeli Tolvanen. Tuomaala's a pure shooter in that he'll shoot often and from anywhere on the ice, much like Tolvanen. You're not gonna give much from him defensively as he's a pure offensive player, but he can be a clutch goal scorer when he's at the top of his game.

50. Winnipeg: Samu Salminen, C/LW
They love Finns. They love having players with size. Combine the two and you might have a good match here. Salminen battle inconsistency throughout the year, but looked good at the U18's, where he captained Team Finland and scores 7 goals. It could be enough to get him back into the top 50, after a fall out of the top 32 from early in the year.

Comparison: Patrik Berglund. Probably similar to how Berglund played, Salminen's a big, tall center/winger that may not be the fastest or defensively the strongest, but can bring solid depth offense. Whether that's in a secondary scoring role/middle-six role, it'll remain to be seen. He's also really good on faceoffs, which is another bonus.

51. Nashville: Evan Nause, D
They grab Nause in order to keep building up their blueline, which is something they're always very intent on keeping strong. He's someone that could be a sneaky option in the first round, especially if a team likes the stability he can bring, along with his hidden offensive upside.

Comparison: Damon Severson. Nause is big, he's physical and he's got solid mobility and a hard shot. There might be potential for a top-4 defender within him.

52. New York Islanders [from Edmonton]: Brett Harrison, C/LW
He feels like a player that the Isles would love to develop. He plays center, which they'd like, feeling he's got the goods to become a middle-six guy for them. He's the type of player that'd help your team win the tough games by playing a well-rounded, hard-nosed game, as evidenced at the most recent u18's, where he played the role of a depth center for Canada.

Comparison: Boone Jenner. He isn't the best skater, Harrison makes up for it with his ability to shoot pucks, along with his two-way presence. He's a "safe", meat and potatoes type of forward that'll do everything asked of him, including going to the high-danger areas in order to produce.

53. Buffalo [from Boston]: William Stromgren, LW
Stromgren might be a top 30 player in this draft. Unfortunately, his inconsistency might plague him and could drop him a little. If he's still there at #51, the Sabres could gleefully grab him here, loving his combination of size and skill. If they can develop him, he could turn into a valuable top-six/top-nine forward.

Comparison: Pavel Buchnevich. To me, there's some younger Buchnevich in his game. He's tall, with some good skill, but with also the risk of inconsistency, thus there's the risk of him dropping.

54. Minnesota: Stanislav Svozil, D
After selecting 2 straight forwards, they hope on the defensive side of things to bolster their depth. Svozil's someone that was once thought of a first rounder, but could become passed over due to teams looking for "shinier" objects. He didn't really standout at the U18's, either. As such, it could result in him falling down the board a little.

Comparison: Jakub Zboril. Svozil's an all-around defenseman that plays a pretty steady game. He defends well, can play a physical role and is good at the first pass. He just needs to work on his level of consistency and engagement.

55. Washington: Alexander Kisakov, LW
The Capitals have always been friendly towards Russians. In drafting Kisakov, they target a Russian forward that put up fantastic numbers in the MHL this past year, finising 3rd in overall scoring. Considering his size, they'll be hoping he's the next Kirill Kaprizov, hoping for a big time steal in this range.

Comparison: At top end, he's a Kirill Kaprizov type of offensive winger, whose small, yet able to provide immense offensive firepower despite his lack of speed and size. Maybe he's more of an Aleksi Hepponiemi, whose size and skill combination have resulted in him not yet finding a full-time pro gig. That variance results in him falling down the board.

56. Florida: Oliver Kapanen, C/RW
Florida has always loved their Finns, with Kapanen being the latest addition. Their European scouting staff would feel he'd make a fine addition to their middle-six and could play any role given to him. He comes from quality bloodlines, as well; with his cousin, Kasperi, currently playing in the NHL for Pittsburgh.

Comparison: Jakob Silfverberg. Unlike his cousin, Kasperi, Kapanen gets by more on his hockey smarts, grit and two-way skill. He's got good shooting ability and can plug into any role on any line, playing as both a center or a winger. Some more work on his skating would be a smart move.

57. Toronto: Chase Stillman, RW
If Stillman is still available for them, they'd jump all over him, feeling like he's the type of energetic forward they need in their lineup. Being the son of Cory Stillman, he's got NHL heritage in his bloodlines and can be expected to bring plenty of tenacity to the ice, which he showed at the u18's. He's the type of player that'd excel in the playoffs, which is what they need more of.

Comparison: Alexander Burrows. Stillman's a warrior on the ice that can bring a ton of energy and a pest-like presence at the top of his game. While he's not the most offensively gifted player, he crashes the net, works hard, plays physical and does all the little things to help his team win.

58. Pittsburgh: Ayrton Martino, LW
Martino feels like the type of player the Pens love taking chances on him. He's got dynamic speed and can be an all-out offensive threat, which is clearly the mold of the type of player they tend to really enjoy. If he's still there, they'd take a shot at him.

Comparison: Anthony Duclair. A potential first rounder, Martino's game is all about speed, speed and more speed. He can be a cerebral player on the ice, using his speed to both cut-off passes and to create offense with his playmaking skill.

59. Carolina: Ville Koivunen, LW
Loving their Finns, they'd be all over Koivunen at this stage. It wouldn't even shock me if they took him with their first rounder, let alone their second. They've likely scouted him heavily and would feel he's another Finn they can develop, something that they're on good record of doing.

Comparison: Josh Bailey. He may not be the fastest of skaters on the ice, Koivunen makes up for it with his hockey sense and playmaking skills. He's a high-IQ winger that can fill in on any line and is very adaptable to play any role. The only thing keeping him out of the first round/top 40 is his lack of foot speed and that could scare some teams away.

60. Arizona [from Colorado]: Josh Doan, RW
There's no way Arizona can pass on Shane Doan's son, even if it's a little early in the draft. They take him here, as they don't think he'll still be on the board the next time they come up to draft. His progression this year -- both statistically and physically -- was a huge leap, which could attract quite a few teams.

Comparison: Andrew Copp. While the skill level may not be as good as his father's, his got a speedy, grit game that could at least translate to a 4th line/bottom-six level. He's probably the first overager taken off the board, partially in thanks to a growth spurt in size and in production.

61. Colorado [from New York Islanders]: Tristan Lennox, G
After getting this pick in the Ryan Graves trade, it feels like they could use it to take one of the higher end goalies available. Tristan Lennox might be that guy. With the OHL not playing last year, it's hard to project him and where he goes. For a team that needs a goalie, the Avs could definitely give him a chance.

Comparison: Mike Smith. Lennox has the height that modern day starters tend to have. He's got good athleticism and can track and move pucks quickly up the ice, including giving some good passes, ala Smith.

62. Chicago [from Vegas]: Anton Olsson, D
The Hawks could use more defense in their system. Olsson is a defender that could/should go around this range. Maybe they select him here, hoping he can turn into something efficient with them.

Comparison: Travis Dermott. Not a high-end, offensive guy, he's someone that'll keep things calm, safe and efficient, keeping pucks out of his own zone and defending well against offense.

63. Montreal: Riley Kidney, C/LW
Loving the damage he created in the QMJHL playoffs, the Habs jump all over Kidney in this spot. While he isn't from Quebec, he's still developing in the QMJHL, with Montreal being more interested in taking some kids from there this year. Most importantly, they'd love his hockey IQ, which is what they love to see in their players and he's got tons of it.

Comparison: David Krejci. There's a little bit of Krejci in his game. He's not the biggest, not the fastest, not the most physical. Instead, he uses his hockey sense and IQ to help create plays and brings a well-rounded game with good playmaking skill. He can play as either a center or as a wing, giving him major versatility.

64. Montreal [from Tampa Bay]: Vincent Iorio, D
The Habs have a huge need for a right-shooting defenseman in their pool. The best of the bunch could be Vincent Iorio, whom they've surely seen while scouting Kaiden Guhle. With smaller guys such as Norlinder coming up, someone with Iorio's size and skating would be a nice balance. They got to the finals on the backs of their big defensemen, so grabbing a player of similar ilk.

Comparison: Jake Muzzin. Iorio's a big defenseman, who's armed with decent mobility, two-way smarts, toughness and a heavy point shot. He's probably more of a stay-at-home defenseman type in the professional ranks, possibly playing in a #3-6 role, while occassionally contributing on a second unit powerplay.

---------

ROUND 3

65. New York Rangers [from Buffalo]: Red Savage, C
They figure Savage could be a nice backup plan in case Chaz Lucius doesn't cut it at center. Coming from NHL bloodlines, Red Savage gives them a potential middle-to-bottom six center that works hard and is likely to become a serious two-way threat. Maybe his upside isn't extremely high, but his floor is... and that gives them no regrets in taking him here.

Comparison: Casey Cizikas. Savage is a hard-nosed, shutdown center that gives maximum effort when on the ice. He's got an underrated skillset for creating plays, but is best at being an adaptable, two-way presence.

66. Anaheim: Cole Huckins, C/LW
The Ducks have been known to select some guys from the QMJHL in recent drafts. If Huckins is on the board, he seems like the type of player they'd value. He's a big kid that can play center, giving them some more depth in that position.

Comparison: Brandon Sutter. Huckins has size and some well-rounded skill, including transition ability. Does he have the skating, though? Right now, he'll need to work on his ability to skate because it'd be one of the things that'd hold him back from making the jump.

67. Seattle: Connor Roulette, LW
Roulette's already playing in Seattle... thereby making it a nice homegrown selection for the Kraken. With Roulette already being familiar with the area, it could help him transfer to the pros. He was a member of the U18's for Canada, where he played a nice utility, versatile role.

Comparison: Brandon Hagel. If his skating improved, he could be a top 60 selection. Alas, he needs to work on that area. Thankfully, he's got a lot of playmaking skill and can be a physical point producer despite his lack of height.

68. New Jersey: Jack Bar, D
Needing more right handed shots, they'd be thrilled to grab Jack Bar early in the third round. He was a member of the powerhouse Clarke Cup championhip team, the Chicago Steel and boasts an all-around upside that'd be very welcome for their backend. He'll have a good developmental path ahead of him, with the Devils hoping he can reach a top 4 position.

Comparison: Cody Ceci. He's a all-situations type of defenseman that's a little lacking in being elite in one particular area. Instead, he brings an all-around game with a heavy shot and a lot of speed and size, which he uses to crush into opposing players.

69. Columbus: Dylan Duke, LW/C
He's an Ohio native, which makes him a great fit for the Blue Jackets. He's got 2nd round level of talent, with even some outliers considering him as a late first. He was one of the few standouts on a weak American team at the U18's and is known for his warrior-like mentality.

Comparison: Ryan Callahan. He brings tons of grit and physicality in a smaller frame, loving to play on the edge and in front of goaltenders. Like Hornqvist, he makes his home along the blue paint, where he's able to bat in pucks and collect rebounds to score.

70. Detroit: Ethan del Mastro, D
It's yet another member of Canada's u18 squad. Del Mastro played a key role on defense for Canada, in a shutdown role, where he used his size, physicality and mobility to defend leads and make life difficult for opposing offenses. Might be a wise pickup in this area for the Wings.

Comparison: Erik Cernak. He's big, he's physical/throws his weight around, he shuts down attackers effectively and he's got a huge bomb from the point that keeps defense earnest.

71. San Jose: Tristan Broz, LW/C
Broz's versatility and skill would make an intriguing option for San Jose. He plays whatever role is assigned to him, which would be perfect for the Sharks if they want him to play center. He showed excellent skill and offense as part of Fargo in the USHL this past year, with San Jose feeling he's got good upside.

Comparison: Alex Iafallo. Versatile and offensively effective forward that uses his high hockey IQ to produce. He profiles as a middle-six guy that can also play special teams.

72. Los Angeles: Aidan Hreschuk, D
They've seen Anaheim taking a California defenseman in the 2nd round and they follow suit. He grew up as a member of the Los Angeles Junior Kings, giving them more incentive to give him a shot. It'd make for a good story, with Hreschuk also being someone that could potentially play a role moving forward.

Comparison: Dante Fabbro. Hreschuk isn't a large defenseman; he's more of a small-to-average sized kid that keeps pucks in motions, plays a well-rounded game and makes the safe, effective plays.

73. Dallas [from Vancouver]: Danila Klimovich, LW/RW
He lit up the u18's for Belarus, scoring a total of 6 goals, all of which came on the powerplay. With Dallas looking for more offense, Klimovich could be a juicy steak for them here. Maybe there's something there. They can hope he works on his skating and two-way play while he keeps using his shot to produce.

Comparison: Dominik Kubalik. Klimovich's a Belarussian winger that's got a howitzer of a shot. He likes to shoot often and can even play a physical role. There's potential for him to become a top-nine scoring winger, just as long as he can get faster.

74. Ottawa: Ryan Winterton, RW/C
Going for an Ontario kid, the Sens select Winterton, who looked fine in a limited role at the U18's for Canada. They played him in a checking role, which he succeeded at, proving he's got solid worth somewhere in the middle rounds. It gives them some more depth, at bare minimum.

Comparison: Warren Foegele. I'd compare him to something similar to a Foegele. Likely a guy that can move around your bottom-nine, whose versatility allows him to adapt to any role. He can bring good speed, checking and has a good shot that should allow him to score goals.

75. Washington [from Arizona]: Nolan Allan, D
The Capitals love their western kids. If Allan's still on the board, he'd be a tough one to pass on. Some places have him in the 2nd round, with Washington scooping him up here, giving them more stability on their blueline.

Comparison: David Savard. Allan's a big, solid defenseman that may not put up a ton of points, but will make it difficult to play against. He'll be physical, close gaps and defends well against the transition.

76. Montreal [from Chicago]: Justin Robidas, RW/C
Montreal's been known to take some mid-round selections on smaller guys with high-end talent. Robidas is playing locally in the QMJHL, which proponents of "the Habs need more French talent" would love. He's the son of Stephane Robidas, who was actually drafted by the Habs over 25 years ago, so it'd be a nice heritage pick, as well.

Comparison: Tyler Johnson. Robidas is a small, skilled, fast forward that drops into the mid-round solely due to lack of size. At his best, he can be an all-around offensive forward that buzzes around and puts up points.

77. Calgary: Sean Tschigerl, LW
Playing locally for the Calgary Hitman, it's likely they've been able to see a lot of him. He's someone that could potentially find himself in the 2nd round if a team really likes him and are ponderous about his overall talent. He went on a huge scoring binge to finish the year, with certain teams wonder if it was just a hot streak or is it what he can consistently bring.

Comparison: Blake Coleman. He's got skill, he's got an engine, he's got talent and he's got excellent two-way ability that'll allow him to kill penalties and play any role given to him. He's a buzzsaw on the ice that competes hard and fights to win during every shift. Even if he doesn't make it as a top-six winger, he can still compete at a buzzsaw-like bottom-six.

78. Philadelphia: Olivier Nadeau, LW/RW
Olivier Nadeau would give the Flyers some power-scoring to their pool. With his style of play, he's someone that has the potential to become a coach's favorite, even if used in a depth role. He still has some work to do, but there could be good potential in him, even if it's as a bottom-six forward that can create space.

Comparison: Keegan Kolesar. Nadeau profiles as a power forward that can work the corners, lay the body and also has an impressive playmaking skillset. He can be a productive winger when placed on a skill line to help crash and bang pucks into the net. He needs to work on his skating because his foot speed is kind of, well, poor.

79. Dallas: Alexei Kolosov, G
Grabbing more goalie depth, the Stars take Kolosov here, after he was passed over last year. With his development this past year, they feel he might be able to turn into a starter if all things go right.

Comparison: Jimmy Howard. The Belarussian goalie's got good athleticism and can track pucks well and competes hard at every opportunity. There may be upside for a potential starter. It'd be worth the risk for the team that drafts him.

80. New York Rangers: Aleksi Malinen, D
They've taken a few Finns over the years, with Malinen being the latest. There's potential for him to bloom into a transitional defenseman with some upside, which would be a good addition for the Rangers's blueline, keeping their depth fully balanced.

Comparison: Henri Jokiharju. Malinen's got average height and lots of speed and mobility. At his best, he could become a transitional defenseman that can get pucks up the ice, make crisp first passes and play a sound, speedy game.

81. St. Louis: Benjamin Roger, D
When they won the Cup a few years ago, it was due to their big, mobile defenseman that could work hard and do all kinds of heavy lifting. Ben Roger is just that type. Even though he didn't get to play during the OHL season, he was still able to highly impress at the PBHH Invitational in Erie, with the Blues thinking he's the type of RHD they need in their system.

Comparison: Brenden Dillon. He's a tall, lanky and physical defenseman that plays a shutdown role, while also being able to confidently move pucks out of his end. He had a promising showing at the PBHH in Eerie that really helped his stock.

82. Winnipeg: Eric Alarie, LW
They seem to be more inclined on taking local talent lately. Maybe a Manitoba native such as Alarie, who showed vast improvement through the shortened WHL season, would be a suitable selection. He's someone that work his way to the net, something that would go well with their skilled guys.

Comparison: Adam Erne. There's potential for him to become a heart and soul type of power forward that works in a depth role. He's someone that can find himself playing in various roles on any line.

83. Nashville: Sean Behrens, D
Their once strong defensive unit has taken a hit. They draft another American defenseman to help build it back up. It's what they're known to be good at, so why stop now, as they take their third defenseman in a row.

Comparison: Torey Krug. For his size, Behrens isn't really a speedy defenseman, which could hurt his draft stock. That said, he's got incredible processing skills and hits like a truck, despite only being ~5'9".

84. Calgary [from Edmonton]: Oscar Plandowski, D
They've been known to draft heavily from the Q in recent years. It'd be no different this year, especially with Plandowski having familial ties to the Calgary region. It'd be a good match for both sides, with the Flames liking Plandowski's mobile, skating game.

Comparison: Mark Pysyk. As a forward-converted-to-defense, he knows how to skate really well and move pucks out of dangerous areas. He's likely more of a depth defenseman if he makes it.

85. Boston: Guillaume Richard, D
He's a sizeable defenseman that'll be going to Providence College next year, which feels like the recipe for a Bruins selection. They need depth on their blueline; and he looked solid in a depth role for Canada at the u18's. If another team scooped him off the board earlier, it wouldn't surprise me.

Comparison: Danny Dekeyser. He may not be an earth-mover, Richard is more of a steady, keep it simple, keep the puck in motion defenseman that can play a role in a team's bottom-four.

86. Minnesota: Ilya Fedotov, RW
The Wild shoot for the moon with Fedotov, who was a productive scorer over in Russian this past year. He's going to be a longterm guy that they hope puts in the work to become an NHL'er. The skill is there, he just needs to find the compete level.

Comparison: Troy Terry. It's hard to pin down an exact comparison. Fedotov is a high IQ, efficient goal-scoring winger with great speed and talent. Something like Troy Terry is possibly an outcome... although a team that drafts him will hold out hope on him potentially becoming the Russian version of Kyle Connor. There's a lot of questions surrounding him, so he'll be an interesting to track where he gets drafted.

87. Montreal [from Washington]: Joe Vrbetic, G
The combination of Carey Price being left exposed to Seattle, along with Price's rapidly declining health, might make Montreal jump on a goalie pretty early. Vrbetic could be a good option, even without his playing last year thanks to the pandemic. It gives them more depth in case Cayden Primeau can't translate to the top level.

Comparison: Darcy Kuemper. Vrbetic's a 6'6" goalie that can cover plenty of the net. He's also got good athleticism for his size and can be quick up and down knees.

88. Buffalo [from Florida]: Ryan Ufko, D
Needing some depth on the right side of their defense, Ufko is a good swing here. He was a member of this year's elite Chicago Steel team, with the Sabres hoping his play there can translate to his play in the pros.

Comparison: Alex Goligoski. Ufko isn't the biggest of defenseman, getting by with his big shot and offensive prowess from the point. He's someone that could potentially play on a powerplay and add skill from the back.

89. Los Angeles [from Toronto]: Patrik Hamrla, G
The Kings passed on some quality goalies in the draft earlier. They decide to snag one of the better ones that's left off the board. He's been playing in the Czech leagues, where he's looked like a nice prospect. There's a lot of tools with him, so they can give him time to develop.

Comparison: Linus Ullmark. A big goalie that puts up good numbers and has shown solid technique and skills. He's someone that might take some seasoning, but could make it worthwhile in the long run.

90. Minnesota [from Pittsburgh]: Dmitri Kuzmin, D
Kuzmin was the defenseman(!) that performed "The Michigan" goal at the u18 tournament for Belarus. Even though he's smaller, he's got a lot of offensive firepower in his arsenal, making him intriguing for the Wild, who'd love to get him into their defensive pool.

Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere. The Belarussian defenseman is on the smaller side, so he drops a little. In terms of talent, he's got high upside as a puck-moving, offensive defenseman.

91. Carolina: Ryder Korczak, C/RW
Korczak's size and skating might not appeal to every team, resulting in him falling into the 3rd. If he's still there, the Hurricanes do what they do best: scoop the best talent available off the board. It fits their motto quite well.

Comparison: Sam Gagner. I'd compare Korczak to something like a Sam Gagner, who's had a decent career, but didn't really live up to expectations to his draft position. Korczak is a smaller playmaking forward, who battles inconsistency, yet when he's on, he can be a deadly offensive weapon.

92. Colorado: Cameron Whynot, D
Whynot plays for the Halifax Mooseheads, a system they know quite well. In fact, last year's first rounder, Justin Barron, is also his teammate. They reunite the 2, hoping they can find some consistency and chemistry alongside each other.

Comparison: Jack Johnson. Whynot's got speed, decent size, some skill and can also play a physical game. While his upside may not be hugh, he could eventuall battle for a bottom-pairing role.

93. New York Islanders: Lorenzo Canonica, C/RW
Landing back in the Q, the Isles select Canonica, who's one of the youngest draft eligibles available. The Swiss-born forward brings a lot of positive qualities to the ice, making him someone they'd highly covet if he can fall to them. Even if he doesn't find a top-six role, he's someone that can still work hard in a bottom-six.

Comparison: JG Pageau. Canonica's an undersized center that has the speed to produce well at both ends of the ice. He's defensively very engaged, can win faceoffs and provides an all-around skillset that can be used in multiple roles.

94. Detroit [from Vegas]: Victor Stjernborg, RW/C
Stjernborg is someone I can see really impressing Hakan Andersson and the Swedish scouts. As such, they'd jump all over him, feeling he'd be a forward that can give a consistent 100% effort every time he's on the ice, no matter the role he's in.

Comparison: Jesper Bratt. Even though Stjernborg isn't the biggest player, he makes up for it with his energy and determination. He works the corners hard, digs out pucks, plays a solid defensive role and can play any position assigned to him. He's a versatile, two-way threat whenever he's on the ice.

95. Buffalo [from Montreal]: Kalle Vaisanen, LW/RW
In an attempt to get bigger, more physical and more difficult to play against, they add some beef with Vaisanen. Standing 6'4", he'd be a great addition to their core prospects, especially if he keeps playing his gritty style of game. The Sabres are lacking a guy that'll run you over; with Vaisanen bringing exactly that style of game.

Comparison: Patrick Maroon. He plays similar to how a Patrick Maroon plays. Likely a depth guy that plays a power forward's style. He can plow into opposing players, checking them hard and also provide some offense.

96. Tampa Bay: Zachary Ostapchuk, LW
The Bolts love drafting from the WHL, plus they could use some more big bodies in their overall depth. The reigning Cup champs are always able to find talent, with Ostapchuk being no different.

Comparison: Zach Sanford. Ostapchuk's a big kid, standing 6'4", who skates well for his size and has the added benefit of some skill with the puck. He might have huge upside if he can put everything together.

---------

ROUND 4

97. Buffalo: Janis Moser, D
He was in discussion with the Sabres about coming over a few years ago. Maybe they select him in this round in order to get his rights. They're a team that obviously needs defense and his play in the Swiss league suggest there might be something there. It's a worthy gamble on the double-overager.

Comparison: Christian Djoos. Probably not a top end defenseman. He's moreso a guy that plays a safe game, distributes pucks, brings an all-around element and keeps things steady.

98. Anaheim: Justin Janicke, LW
They've already selected his brother, Trevor, 2 years ago. They grab Justin to reunite them. His ability to forecheck and cause havoc would be a welcome addition to the Ducks, who often draft a lot of American kids.

Comparison: Nicolas Aube-Kubel. Janicke's a relentless forechecker. He never stops coming at you, like a hound and can play a physical, checking brand of hockey. He's someone you put in your bottom-six and love to watch because he plays so hard at creating turnovers and killing penalties.

99. Seattle: Ty Voit, RW
After missing the entire OHL season, Voit missed his opportunity to prove his worth. Fortunately, the word is he looked really good at the PBHH Invitational in Erie. If Seattle think he's got upside, they could certainly draft him here. It'd be a huge boost in their skillset.

Comparison: Connor Garland. Something like Garland is probably his best case scenario. Voit plays with a lot of speed, knows how to make plays and can work his way into the dangerous areas. On the downside, he's lacking in size, standing in the 5'8"/5'9" range, which could hurt him and turn him into an AHL-like superstar, ala Nicolas Petan.

100. New Jersey: Jack Matier, D
The Devils have been known to draft a lot from the Ottawa 67's. Even though they didn't play last year, Matier was able to get a few games in as a depth defenseman for Canada at the U18's. He's a right-handed guy, which adds depth in an area they want filled. He's the type of big defenseman that fits their mold.

Comparison: Joel Edmundson. He's a stay-at-home type of defender that can play a steady game, mostly as a bottom-four type. He's big, he's heavy, he can lay the body and move pucks. He's a shutdown defender.

101. Columbus: Dmitri Kostenko, D
In need of depth on their right side of defense, the Jackets jump on Kostenko in this range. He's a bit of a wildcard in that he's someone that could go from anywhere within the 2nd-4th round range. However, if he's still on the board here, Columbus would be wise to select him, liking the offensive talent he can bring.

Comparison: Jake Gardiner. Kostenko is an offensive defenseman with decent size that can run a powerplay, yet is also prone to turnovers. The question is if he can clean up his defense or not.

102. Detroit: Peter Reynolds, RW/C
Their scouting staff could really love Reynolds's IQ-driven play. He can bring skill to their core, even as a depth forward. He boosts their depth on the right wing, giving them someone that can find himself contributing on any line.

Comparison: Kevin Labanc. He plays a very cerebral, playmaking game and is able to slip into various lines on a lineup, including on a powerplay or a PK.

103. San Jose: Ilya Safonov, C
There were rumors earlier in the year that Safonov was in discussion to go in the 3rd round. Well, it may not be the 3rd, but the 4th sounds reasonable. After his play at the World Juniors back in December, this overager gives the Sharks more depth down the middle, something they'd truly enjoy.

Comparison: Kevin Stenlund. Safonov's a big power center that's an overager. He's not too far away from stepping in and contributing, even in a bottom-six role, having gotten a lot of miles in Russia already.

104. New York Rangers [from Los Angeles]: Liam Dower-Nilsson, C/LW
Their European scouting staff would likely push for Dower-Nilsson at this point, especially knowing that he's capable of playing center. More was expected of Dower-Nilsson, but in the fourth round, it's still an effective gamble. They'd take him for sure.

Comparison: Chandler Stephenson. He may not have top-six upside. He may be more of a versatile, well-rounded forward, who may/may not get pushed to the wing. He's solid at all ends of the ice and provides good smarts and senses.

105. Chicago [from Vancouver]: William Trudeau, D
It's more depth for their blueline. He's expected to go within this range, with the idea he becomes a depth defenseman in the near future, after some QMJHL seasoning. The Hawks take whatever help they can for their blueline.

Comparison: Jason Demers. His skating isn't great, yet he manages to put up a good amount of points and shows good patience and poise with the puck.

106. New York Rangers [from Ottawa]: Jakub Brabenec, C/LW
Taking a Czech forward that's due to go within this range seems like something the Rangers could do. While he didn't take the step forward that was expected, there's still some good tools and traits in his game that makes him a quality pickup in the 4th. He's suppoedly playing in the QMJHL next year, so it'd be a nice "draft and follow".

Comparison: Ilya Mikheyev. The Czech forward can frankly fly on his skates. He probably develops into a complementary, support player that plays in all-situations and brings a two-way mentality to the ice.

107. Arizona: Roman Schmidt, D
Huge in size, Schmidt may be someone that goes earlier if a team likes his combination of size + skating. The Coyotes could snag him at this spot, adding some depth and size to their blueline. He had a shaky year and hasn't really taken the step forward, but is good value in this round.

Comparison: Jeff Schultz. Like Schultz, Roman Schmidt is a huge defenseman that's quite mobile for his size. He doesn't really standout offensively or defensively, yet still has multiple tools that make him an intriguing selection.

108. Chicago: Jackson Blake, RW
Grabbing another member of the Chicago Steel, the Hawks give Jackson Blake a chance. His father, Jason Blake, played for the Islanders and the Leafs and played a similar type of undersized, pesky game. Not having a birthday until August, there's some talent there, with the Hawks hoping he can replicate his father's game. After coming up clutch and scoring the winning goals to win both his state championship and the Clarke Cup, he's shown he can become a self-starting forward with bundles of energy.

Comparison: Yanni Gourde. Blake may not have impressive size; instead, he brings a high-motor, speed and talented swagger. He seems like a good fit to become a depth scoring winger that'll work hard on the ice.

109. Los Angeles [from Calgary]: Andre Gasseau, C
A native of Los Angeles, the Kings pickup one of their own hometown kids, as both a nice gesture and to give more size and depth down the middle. They once built a team based around size and may turn back towards that in hopes of jumpstarting their rebuild.

Comparison: Brian Boyle. Gasseau's a big power-center with some two-way skill, who can work hard along the boards and brings some physicality and depth

110. Philadelphia: Ty Gallagher, D
To me, Gallagher's a player that I feel is getting underrated in the draft community. When he receives more playing time next season, he'll show why he should be drafted earlier, with the Flyers giving him a chance at this spot, liking what he did at the U18's for the Americans, especially his clutch play.

Comparison: James Wisniewski. He's known best for his hard shot from the point. With his thick frame, he can also play a mean, physical game. Needs to work on his skating speed..

111. Dallas: Topias Vilen, D
They have good history with selecting Finns. If Vilen's there, they may choose to select hin here, giving them some nice depth behind guys such as Esa Lindell. He won't bring a flashy game and that's alright for the Stars, who'll just want him to play a steady game.

Comparison: John Marino. A positionally sound defenseman that'll do a lot of the small things right to work against the competition. He's got a good stick and can breakup plays resulting in turnovers.

112. New York Rangers: Artyom Grushnikov, D
Grushnikov could drop due to the pandemic keeping him out of action. With this selection, it gives some more depth on their left side, which would be a fine pickup. He's ranked by some organization as a 2nd round contender, so they'd feel they'd be walking out with a nice potential steal, with his game getting back to normal once he gets actual playing time.

Comparison: Travis Hamonic. Grushnikov plays a mobile, shutdown style of game. He may not have huge offensive upside. Instead, his game will revolve around playing a dependable, two-way style of game.

113. Montreal [from St. Louis]: Tyson Hinds, D
They got to the finals on the backs of their big, mobile defensemen. They could certainly like add a few more of those types. After a trade to Rimouski, he finally got going and started to improve his game and put up points, which is a trend Montreal loves to see in their players. It doesn't hurt that he's a local kid, as well.

Comparison: Zach Bogosian. Not the Bogosian that we had a prospect. Moreso the current day version of Bogosian. He's big, he can hit, he moves well with the puck and has a lot of rawness. He can sometimes struggle under pressure, which is something he needs to work on.

114. Vegas [from Winnipeg]: Jayden Grubbe, C/RW
Lack of playing time and his injury cost him a higher draft ranking. Nonetheless, he makes a savvy selection in this range. Even if he's only a depth forward, Vegas tends to love their western kids, so Grubbe makes sense in this spot. Plus he's capable of playing center, so that's another positive.

Comparison: Oskar Sundkqvist. Grubbe a potential power center that may/may not have some skill. He's a physical forward that loves to lay the body and brings overall grittiness. He may become a shutdown center at the top level.

115. Nashville: Matvei Petrov, LW/RW
Armed with a big, booming shot, Petrov's someone that can put pucks in the net, Petrov could interest the Preds, who seem a little more open to drafting Russians as of late. After taking Askarov last year, Petrov could join him, giving them a big goal scoring winger. It's a big swing that's probably worth the risk.

Comparison: Brett Connolly. Like Connolly, Petrov's a big, tall winger that provides a hard, accurate shot. He can also run into inconsistency and sluggishness, which harm his overall potential.

116. Edmonton: Ryan Mast, D
Oilers need some depth on their RHD. If Mast is available, he'd make sense in this area. Mast is a big boy that'd give them size and depth, which would be perfect. Having sat out the OHL season due to the pandemic, he impressed at the PBHH Invitational, with Edmonton happy to take him here.

Comparison: Brenden Dillon. He's a big, stay-at-home type of defenseman that skates really well and has solid hockey IQ. He's physical and can keep up with the pace of the play.

117. Boston: Sasha Teleguine, RW
As a Massachusetts native, Teleguine could be of interest to the Bruins. After all, he's a former prep school player with abundant offensive talent, which the Bruins tend to love.

Comparison: Sven Baertschii. While Baertschii was never able to find his footing at the NHL level, things could be different for Teleguine, who comes with a similar skillset. That said, he'll need to iron out his game, especially in terms of defense, which is where Baertschii failed.

118. Minnesota: Jake Martin, D
A Minnesota kid, Martin would pair quite well with the Wild here. While he's not an offensive defenseman, they'd love his ability to keep pucks out of his zone and transition it to safety.

Comparison: Rob Scuderi. Martin's a true defensive defenseman. It's what he excels at and what he'll make his bread and butter by doing.

119. Washington: Bryce Montgomery, D
The Capitals have plenty of ties with the London Knights organization, which is where Bryce Montgomery will be doing his development. With his size, strength and ample skating ability, there might be some raw skill there. At minimum, it gives more depth to their RHD.

Comparison: Samuel Morin. Montgomery's a big, physical defenseman that skates well and has a lot of athletic prowess. He comes armed with a heavy shot, too. Needs to work on his overall play. Since he didn't play this year, he's kind of a mystery machine.

120. Florida: Liam Gilmartin, LW
With Shane Churla running their drafts, a guy like Liam Gilmartin feels like someone that'd highly interest them. He's someone that'll make life difficult for opposing teams, able to use his physicality and power forward presence to play in various roles.

Comparison: Zemgus Girgensons. Gilmartin hits like a truck, positions himself well and can be a hard-working complementary style of winger that can work in a depth role. He's defensive astute, as well; meaning he can potentially do penalty kill duty.

121. San Jose [from Toronto]: Joshua Roy, RW
Even though his season was underhwelming, a team such as San Jose could take a flyer on him in hopes of him working out. If it works out, he can provide plenty of offensive value to a team that could use more scoring depth. It's high-risk/high-reward, with the Sharks obviously hoping he can develop into a dependable scoring forward.

Comparison: Daniel Sprong. Roy's a little inconsistent and could take a lot of time to figure things out. When he's on, he shows good goal scoring ability and some nice vision and hands. He's a swing for the fences type.

122. Arizona [from Pittsburgh]: Carl Lindbom, G
Lindbom isn't the tallest, which is the major thing that hurts his draft stock. Even though Canada roughed him up badly at the u18 -- twice, no less -- he still didn't let it shake him. He's draftable, it just depends on what round. Needing goalies, the Coyotes take him here.

Comparison: Alexandar Georgiev. Not the biggest goaltender, he's someone with good athleticism and consistency, who can also keep a cool head when things go sour.

123. Carolina: Cole Jordan, D
As per usual, the 'Canes take whomever they feel is the best player left on the board. Cole Jordan feels quite similar to guys such as Slavvin and Pesce, 2 defensive-minded players that defend quite well and are able to convert it into offense. If he can be a lighter version of those 2, they'd be happy.

Comparison: Chris Tanev. There's a little bit of Tanev in Jordan's game. While he's okay at transporting pucks, he's probably best fit at playing a solid defensive game, all while transition pucks out of danger and keeping things calm and simple, bringing a low-risk style of pace.

124. Nashville [from Colorado]: James Malatesta, LW
Adding a buzzing forward such as Malatesta gives the Preds some needed depth. His lack of size is trouble and it causes him to drop into the fourth round. He's got a lot of speed and talent, though. Definitely worthy of a mid-round selection.

Comparison: Andrew Cogliano. Blessed with an infinite engine, Malatesta has blazing speed that makes life miserable for opposing players. Even though he's undersized, he forechecks fast and hard and can force turnovers that lead in the opposite direction.

125. New York Islanders: Nikolai Makarov, D
A big Russian bear, Makarov seems like someone the Islanders could take a flyer on. His style of play, along with his physical tools feel very in flow with what they like.

Comparison: Scott Mayfield. Makarov's a shutdown defenseman through and through. He plays physical and rough, using his big body to punish and push play.

126. Montreal [from Vegas]: Joel Nystrom, D
With the amouont of improvement he's shown throughout the year, Montreal could be all over him. They toom a similar style of overage Swede a few years ago, named Mattias Norlinder, who looks like he could become a pro. Nystrom is within the mold, giving them further depth at RHD.

Comparison: Tobias Enstrom. Nystrom's an undersized puck-mover that has some skill and passing ability. He's an overager that bloomed this season once he was given more playing time.

127. Montreal: Kyle Kukkonen, RW
For their second straight pick, the Habs take Kyle Kukkonen. It just wouldn't be a Montreal draft without some selections from Minnesota high school hockey. Kukkonen fits the bill as the type of swing they love to take. With his work ethic, all-aroudn play and skill, he strikes a lot of boxes in what they tend to love in their prospects.

Comparison: Andrew Mangiapane. Kukkonen's one of the fastest players in the draft and is ready and capable of scoring plenty of points. He's got potential as a top-six undersized winger.

128. Detroit [from Tampa Bay]: David Gucciardi, D
Next year, he'll be attending Michigan State University. That's great for the Wings, who'll be able to watch him closely. He gives them depth on the blueline, owning plenty of tools that they hope to bring out over time.

Comparison: Michal Kempny. Gucciardi's a two-way defender that plays a mobile, two-way game. He's able to lay the body, all while keeping the pace of play and uses his smarts to play a fine support role.

---------

ROUND 5

129. New Jersey [from Buffalo]: Albert Sjoberg, LW/RW
Sjoberg gives the Devils depth on the left wing, something they hope to address. He was one of the most physical and energetic players for Sweden at the u18's, with the Devils hoping it can translate to the pro ranks. While his upside may not be high, he's someone that'll help New Jersey potentially win games.

Comparison: Brandon Tanev. Sjoberg's a ball of fire on the ice. He hits a lot, disrupts plays and uses speed and tenacity to be a workhorse. Not the most talented guy; more of a role player type that teams could fall in love with.

130. Anaheim: Zakhar Bardakov, LW/RW
They usually don't draft a lot of Russians. They took one last year, Artyom Galimov, and they may venture back there again by grabbing another overage. This time, it's Bardakov, whose showing at the World Juniors, along with his playoff play, gets him sought after.

Comparison: Michael Ferland. Bardakov isn't going to be a skill guy. He's going to be an energetic, physical forward that crashes the net, runs you over and just makes life difficult if you play against him.

131. Seattle: Jeremy Hanzel, D
Like their selection of Conner Roulette, Hanzel is another player that's been playing in Seattle already. In the fifth round, he's a quality prospect and has the smarts that Ron Francis is looking for in his players.

Comparison: Wyatt Kalynuk. Hanzel is a puck-moving, offensive defenseman that excels at the transition game.

132. Columbus [from New Jersey]: Vladislav Lukashevich, D
Targeting defense again, they take Lukashevich, whom they'd be surprised to see still on the board. For a 5th, it's great value, as he put up solid numbers over in Russia this past season. As a pro, he probably won't replicate that... but he can still contribute.

Comparison: Nikita Zaitsev. Lukashevich has good size, moves well with the puck, has two-way ability and can do the simple things to help his team win. Profiles as a solid, well-rounded defenseman.

133. Columbus: Kalle Ervasti, D
Taking a second straight defenseman, Ervasti is a well-balanced Finnish defender that adds depth to Columbus's blueline. He's not someone that should be a high-end offensive producer, opting to play a more defensive, two-way role.

Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa. Like Nutivaraa, he isn't the next coming of Erik Karlsson. Instead, he's a guy you put out there to add depth, bring some puck-moving, keeps pucks out of the defensive zone and works hard on the ice.

134. Detroit: Gustavs Ozolins, D
Their European scouting knows how to make some savvy selections. This undersized Latvian defender looked good as an assistant captain for his country at the u18's. Thanks to his size and where he played, it's hard to get a good, accurate read on him, but the Wings take a solid crack at him here, having good faith in his abilities.

Comparison: Andy Greene. Ozolins is an undersized defenseman that plays a really solid defensive game. As such, it should help him with turnovers, which can aide him in transition attempts.

135. San Jose: Semyon Vyazovoy, G
Their trade for Adin Hill might temporarily temper their need for goalies. That said, someone such as Vyazavoy might be a good grab to hold in the longterm. He had a really strong season in the MHL and they could hope he can come over and translate as well as guys such as Ilya Sorokin and Igor Shesterkin have done for the Islanders and Rangers.

Comparison: Igor Shesterkin. Will he be as good as Shesterkin? Who knows. However, Vyazovoy is in the similar mold as him. Not a large goalie; instead, he's an incredibly flexible, quick and athletic guy that can come up big. He's someone you hold for several years and see how he develops.

136. Los Angeles: Ethan Cardwell, C/RW
In my opinion, Cardwell should have been drafted last year. He wasn't. As a result, he went to Europe while the OHL was shutdown and proved his worth. A smart team makes up for lost time and drafts him this year, hoping for a sneaky steal. The Kings have taken some overagers in the past; maybe Cardwell could fit in well here.

Comparison: Ryan Dzingel. Cardwell's an aggressive, attacking forward that play either center or the wing. He can carve up opponents in the neutral zone, resulting in turnovers that allow him to rush in and use his shooting ability to help him score.

137. Vancouver: Ethan Samson, D
Still needing to boost their RHD, Samson could be available here. He's a BC-boy, joining Kent Johnson as local kids. He had an inconsistent year overall, but there's a lot to work on considering he's one of the younger draft eligibles. He'll also be playing nearby, so they can monitor him closely to see just what they've got, if anything.

Comparison: Caleb Jones. He's a projectable defenseman that's kind of raw and doesn't have any real standout traits. He likes to keep things simple, making quick outlet passes and tightening gaps to control the opposition.

138. Detroit [from Ottawa]: Carter Mazur, LW
Grabbing an overage from Detroit might be a wise move. He was the captain for Tri-City last year; and with a younger group of prospects on the way, he's someone that can provide leadership and skill.

Comparison: Zach Aston-Reese. While I'm not sure if he'll ever become a major scoring threat, I could see Mazur as someone that potentially finds himself in a bottom-six, providing scoring depth and delivering some very nice well-rounded play and some peskiness.

139. Arizona: Ty Murchison, D
Murchison has committed to playing hockey at Arizona State next year. It's the same place that Josh Doan will be playing. Naturally, they take Murchison for the familiarity factor... and because it's local.

Comparison: Brett Kulak. Murchison's a defender with good awareness and two-way skill. His play may not be world-beating, but there might be something worth investing in, even if he only turns into a depth role.

140. Vancouver [from Chicago]: Martin Schreiber, D
The Canucks turn to their ol' homestead, Sweden, to target a RHD. Schreiber is an interesting guy because he plays a stay-at-home type, which is what they need.

Comparison: Luke Schenn. He's a hard-working defenseman that leans into his body checks and brings a steadying presence when on the ice.

141. Calgary: Robert Orr, RW/C
They draft another Q guy, this one being Bobby Orr. ...Well, not that Bobby Orr; the other one. The guy that's been playing a versatile game in the Q this past year. He'd be more than worth it at this stage of the draft.

Comparison: Matthew Highmore. Orr may not match his namesake, although there's still some talent there. He's versatile and can shift into various roles. He also has plenty of speed and a very nice shooting ability.

142. Montreal [from Philadelphia]: Niko Huuhtanen, RW
Huuhtanen was recently drafted by Everett in the import draft. Interestingly enough, Montreal has selected a few guys from Everett in prior drafts and may opt to grab Huuhtanen within this range. At minimum, it's someone with some grit and scoring ability, which is always good to have. They've shown an affinity for Finns in the past. A player like Huuhtanen could be on their radar.

Comparison: Nick Ritchie. As evidence by his penalty minutes at the u20's in Finland, he's a physical and rough forward. He also has a really good shot and loves to park himself in front of the opposing team's net. His skating needs a ton of work, but he's a project.

143. Dallas: Caedan Bankier, C
Not only does Tom Gagliardi own the Dallas Stars, he also co-owns the Kamloops Blazers, which, incidentally, is the team that Bankier plays for. He had some success this year and it could see him drafted in the mid-rounds section.

Comparison: Barclay Goodrow. Bankier's a power forward that can do a little of everything. He works hard when on the ice and displays a work-horse like mentality. If he makes it, it'd probably be as a bottom line type.

144. New York Rangers: Henry Nelson, D
The Rangers add a minute-eating, two-way defenseman from Minnesota to their defense pool. He came up short in his nomination for the Mr. Hockey award, yet still is a pretty valuable pickup here in the 5th round.

Comparison: Michael del Zotto. Nelson is a raw, mobile defenseman that plays a low-maintenance style of game that's focused around his skating ability.

145. St. Louis: Taige Harding, D
They hope to strike Colton Parayko-like gold by drafting from the AJHL by scooping the towering defenseman, Taige Harding, off the board. Passed over last year, there's no way it happens again, with teams loving his size. He could go even higher if another team really likes him.

Comparison: Jamie Oleksiak. Standing at an absolutely monstrous 6'7", Harding's got the size that makes him an exhilarating pickup for any team. Despite his size, he moves quite well and could become a shutdown defender.

146. Winnipeg: Hunter Strand, LW
Winnipeg would likely be wow'ed by his work ethic. They love their American players and they can afford to let him develop in the collegiate system over the next 4 years and see how he develops over time.

Comparison: Jake Evans. Strand's a hard-working forward, who may not have the most tantalizing skill; making up for it with tenacity, hard-work; defense and the ability to fight for pucks.

147. Nashville: Connor Lockhart, RW
Looking for a steal, the Preds jump on the undersized Lockhart, who didn't get to play in the OHL this season, within this range. Obviously, since he didn't play, it's hard to project him. That said, he's probably a pick in the mid-to-late rounds. If it were me, I'd take a crack at him around here.

Comparison: Tyler Ennis. Lockhart's got absolutely blazing wheels, along with good scoring ability. The downside is his lack of size, along with the unknown factor.

148. Anaheim [from Edmonton]: Luke Mittelstadt, D
He was a finalist for Minnesota hockey's "Mr. Hockey" award and was also one of the best offensive defensemen in the region. If you're snagging him in the 5th round, you're holding out hope that he develops into an offensive catalyst the pro level.

Comparison: Brandon Montour. He's the type of player that brings an offensive role from the blueline. Maybe not such a force in terms of defense, but in terms of puck movement, he's got the goods.

149. Boston: Josh Lopina, C
The overager is playing at UMass, which naturally means Boston is likely to be interested. They love kids that are developing in their local systems and Lopina is no exception. Having taken several overagers in recent years, along with his improvement in numbers, it gives them a reason to select him.

Comparison: Sean Kuraly. Lopina's a complete type of well-rounded center that's great at winning faceoffs. He works hard, finishes his checks and has a shot that can challenge goaltenders. A potential energy forward that works on a PK.

150. Minnesota: Emerik Despatie, G
The Wild simply boost their goaltending depth. Despatie put up some solid numbers in the Q, while playing a limited role. It remains to be seen how he handles a larger role, which is why he finds himself in the 5th round.

Comparison: Jonathan Bernier. Despatie has lightning-quick reflexes and is able to get up and down with rapid pace. He reacts quickly when challenged and could have some longterm upside.

151. Washington: Simon Knak, RW
The Capitals love overagers. Knak fits in well, especially coming from the WHL market. He's someone that'll work hard in a support role, with his breakout year showing that he can be counted on to help a team win.

Comparison: Christian Fischer. Knak's got decent size, which he uses to fight for pucks and works his way to the net. The Swiss winger is known to forecheck hard and fight for pucks, which could find him competing in a depth scenario.

152. Florida: Kyle Masters, D
In the 5th round, Kyle Masters could be a nice western kid to take a chance on. His play kind of trailed off after a hot start, so he falls down the board a bit. However, as a mid-to-late round option, it's a viable asset.

Comparison: Mikko Lehtonen. Masters is kind of like Lehtonen. To date, he's yet to show explosive goal-scoring ability. That said, he can skate with the puck and makes really smart passes, able to provide offense in a depth sort of role.

153. Toronto: Kirill Gerasimyuk, G
They've drafted a few Russians over the years. With Gerasimyuk, they're getting depth in net from a player that's used to seeing a ton of shots per game in the MHL. He's got decent size and technical skills, as well, thus making him an intriguing pickup.

Comparison: Vitek Vanecek. Gerasimyuk is the type of goalie that you let play overseas, hone his skills and eventually bring over with hopes of him taking the reins someday. A longterm prospect, who is a younger goalie, that still has room to grow and develop.

154. Pittsburgh: Brett Brochu, G
Even though they have some goalies in development, adding Brochu might be another smart add. He is an undersized and overaged goalie that's been practicing with Wilkes-Barre in the AHL during the pandemic and has looked good, thus making him even more attractive. Instead of letting him slip through their fingers, they select him here, hoping he can continue evolving into something worthwhile.

Comparison: Juuse Saros. Undersized, standing only 5'11", which is small for a goalie, he makes up for it with quick athleticism, good rebound control and good puck tracking. Due to be being older, he can sooner make the jump into the pros.

155. Vegas [from Carolina]: Ryker Evans, D
Drafting the overager, Ryker Evans, might be a smart idea here. He puts up good metrics with his 5x5 play and has some skill and grit. It'd be a good move to keep their defensive depth strong.

Comparison: Mario Ferraro. Ryker Evans may not be a big kid, but don't tell him that. He can be a warrior on the ice, brings all-around play and does a good job with his two-way play, including some physicality.

156. San Jose [from Colorado]: Oliver Moberg, C/LW
Moberg kind of feels like a Sharks mid-round selection. He's kind of a safe option to potentially turn into something. He played fine at the u18's and could be a nice plug-and-play option.

Comparison: Tomas Nosek. He's big and versatile and teams always like that. He's someone you can throw out there to provide an all-around presence, able to find a home somewhere within a bottom-six.

157. New York Islanders: Cameron MacDonald, LW/C
The Isles run to the QMJHL well once again, drafting Cameron Macdonald, who's has had some solid development this season. His ability to generate shots would be a nice addition and could be a guy that develops into... something over time.

Comparison: Josh Leivo. Not only is MacDonald a shoot-first/shoot-from-anywhere type of player, he's also added a physical element to his game this season. He's a project that you wait and see how he develops.

158. Philadelphia [from Vegas]: Jacob Melanson, RW
Melanson is a wildcard for the later half of the draft. Certain teams may not have gotten enough good looks at him, meaning he could go anywhere. He seems like the type of player the Flyers would love, giving them plenty of energy and grit.

Comparison: Tyler Motte. Melanson's an under the radar type of player that could have middle-six upside. Don't let his size fool you. He hits like a truck and loves to do it -- often. He's also got some skill.

159. Buffalo [from Montreal]: Brody Lamb, RW
He scored a hell of a lot of points this year in Minnesota hockey. The Sabres could jump on him here, hoping for a steal. He'll need some development, but he's a longterm prospect. Of course, he's coming from high school hockey and that's always a worry... but the best thing to do is give him time and see if he can develop.

Comparison: Ross Colton. Lamb's a long-tange prospect that has excellent goal-scoring appeal, along with stellar playmaking skill.

160. Tampa Bay: Viljami Marjala, LW/C
Marjala's lack of goal scoring might scare a few teams off, with the Bolts willing to give him a shot here in hopes of rebuilding their depth. What he lacked in scoring, he made up with in his ability to be a playmaking, offensive creator with the Remparts. Tampa always manages to find gems, with Marjala being the latest.

Comparison: Ondrej Kase. Marjala's a shifty, offensive, playmaking forward that can play any position and can provide some offense and some safe, all-around play. He's got an underrated shot, as well.

---------

ROUND 6

161. Buffalo: Ryan St. Louis, LW
At this point in the 6th round, the Sabres could say "screw it" and hope Martin's talent and influence drips down to his son. Ryan has shown some potential as a playmaker, but he's not a big kid, so it could hold him back.

Comparison: Dominik Kahun. Like his father, Martin St. Louis, Ryan is a talented playmaker. That said, he probably doesn't have the same amount of skill as his dad. That's okay, though, because he's a project that you select late in the draft and hope he can develop.

162. Anaheim: Connor Kurth, RW
Anaheim tends to draft a lot of American talent. In this instance, Connor Kurth could look interesting. Coming from the Minnesota high school systems, he'd seem to be a shoe-in for the Ducks.

Comparison: Cal Clutterbuck. Kurth's got a stout body and can be an "older school" type of player, loving to lay the body, while providing depth offense. He could turn into a competitive depth winger.

163. Seattle: Elias Stenman, C/LW
I've seen him dubbed as the Swedish version of Ville Koivunen, which is neat. He does play with good smarts and some skill. Their European scouting staff could really like him.

Comparison: Andreas Johnsson. Due to his overall hockey smarts, he does a lot of things well. He's capable of playing center or wing, possibly being able to contribute in a depth role over time.

164. New Jersey: Lucas Forsell, LW
One of the youngest draft eligibles, the Devils shoot for longterm upside with Forsell. Thanks to being younger, he has more time to develop and keep growing, making a nice under the radar type of pick.

Comparison: Phillipp Kurashev. A fast, playmaking winger with really good hands and vision is always a nice pickup later in the draft. It's what you potentially get with a Forsell selection, as long as he keeps developing properly.

165. Columbus: Francesco Arcuri, C
Definitely worth a shot at this late point. He didn't get to play in the OHL this year due to its shutdown, which keeps him down the board. However, he did get to play in something called the AlpsHL... and seems to have grown a few inches. It's a risk/reward situation, with the Jackets hoping he can hit his upside.

Comparison: Victor Rask. Arcuri's got loads of skill, especially in terms of playmaking. He's mainly an offense-first player, leaving a lot to be desired in terms of defense and physicality. Not a great skater, either.

166. Detroit: Owen Bartoszkiewicz, G
Grabbing another goalie, the Wings make sure to maintain depth. This time, it's a Michigan kid that played Division 1 hockey. It's not often those guys get drafted, so the Wings take their risk.

Comparison: Jeremy Swayman. Bartoszkiewicz could be someone that pushes for a role over time. It's hard to say for sure. Whether it's as a backup; or as an AHL guy, he's still someone that provides good depth and is projectable.

167. San Jose: Ilya Ivantsov, C/RW
The tiny Russian forward plays well at the u18 tournament. His lack of height and unappealing skating might keep him from going higher, with the Sharks happy to give him a chance in this range due to his playmaking and two-way skill.

Comparison: Derek Ryan. Ivantsov's a tiny, playmaking forward, who also has solid defensive smarts. He can slide into any role line and has much versatility.

168. Los Angeles: Aku Koskenvuo, G
They grab another goaltender, boosting their ranks up quite a bit. If they pass on the big names in the draft, ie: Cossa/Wallstedt, they may choose to grab 2 guys throughout, hoping one of them works out. I dunno if he'll ever be an NHL'er, but for the 6th round, it's a worthy shot in the dark.

Comparison: Phoenix Copley. Maybe not a top end goalie, he's someone that moves well enough and has the size to back it up. He can be a little leaky, especially in terms of positioning, but he seems like a calm guy nonetheless.

169. Vancouver: Manix Landry, C/LW
They get a hard-working, defensive depth center at this spot. The Canucks could use some center depth and maybe Landry fills that role. His father saw some action at the NHL-level, with Manix hoping he can follow suit.

Comparison: Pierre-Eduoard Bellemare. Landry's a defensive center, that likely plays in a bottom-six. He's able to block shots, play physical, win important draws and brings a lot of energy to the ice in his below 6' frame.

170. Ottawa: Caden Brown, LW
He's the younger brother of current Sens prospect, Logan Brown. While Logan has more talent, Caden plays more of a depth, energy role. It might be a good depth value option for Ottawa at this late position.

Comparison: Michael Raffl. Brown's a smart, hard-working and competitive winger that wants to win. He's had some injury issues this year and it may effect his draft ranking.

171. Arizona: Jack Beck, LW/RW
With Andre Tourigny as the new head coach of Arizona, they may want to someone he's familiar with. Beck didn't get to play much this year, all thanks to the OHL's shutdown, but he's been proven to be a pretty interesting offensive catalyst.

Comparison: Frank Vatrano. A pure complementary offensive winger. He's an average skater, who uses his good shooting and solid smarts to provide goal scoring and support offense.

172. Chicago: Simon Motew, D
He didn't get to play in the OHL this year, which is disappointing because he's got huge offensive skill. The good news is that he got to play and look dominant with the Chicago Cougars of the USPHL. The... who? Exactly. He's an Illinois kid, so playing in the area might be good for him.

Comparison: Ty Barrie. Motew's a high-impact, speedy, offensive defenseman that can put a lot of points on the board. He's not going to earn money for his defensive work, with his offense being what interests teams.

173. Calgary: Simon Groch, D
The Flames have a history of drafting a few Slovaks. Groch gives them a defenseman that can give them some depth on their blueline. He looked decent at the u18's while lining up for his country. There may be some upside to his game.

Comparison: Luca Sbisa. Groch is a big bodied defenseman that works hard when on the ice. He boxes out offense, he can be physical and he can keep pucks in momentum, hitting teammates with simple passes.

174. Philadelphia: Olivier Adam, G
They use a late pick on a goalie in order to bolster their depth in net. He's the top goalie left on the CSS list, so they simply grab whoever's best on the board. In terms of numbers, he looks fine. As always with goalies, he's a project. Goalies are always a crapshoot, so maybe he figures out how to maximize his best efforts.

Comparison: Laurent Brossoit. He's got some decent athletic abilities, mobility and seems to track pucks well. He's got some potential... it just depends on where he'd fit.

175. Dallas: Hugo Gabrielsson, D
Taking swings on some Swedes is nothing unusual for Dallas. It's what they've been doing in recent drafts. Gabrielsson spent the year as the partner for Simon Edvinsson and often had to clean up on his errors.

Comparison: Tucker Poolman. Gabrielsson's a lanky defenseman that's able to keep pucks in transition, makes crisps passes and plays a mobile, versatile role. Likely becomes a depth defender that could play around a lineup.

176. New York Rangers: Eetu Liukas, RW
Getting a heavy power winger at this spot in the draft is always good news. Liukas gives the Rangers some more potential power and strength upfront, making him an essential addition. They might be wanting to look for some grit and he'd make a great addition at this point.

Comparison: Garnet Hathaway. He doesn't have much speed. He does, however, have a lot of strength and size that'd allow him to muck it up along the boards and play a physical role when on the ice.

177. St. Louis: Charles Alexis-Legault, D
It's further depth for their blueline. Legault didn't get many minutes this year, but is likely to receive more next year. As such, they feel they may have a low-key steal on their hands because he's got a lot of tools, ranging from his skating to his size.

Comparison: Connor Murphy. Legault is a big, smooth-skating defenseman with excellent size and all-around ability. It remains to be seen just how high his upside is due to low playing time. However, he could surprise...

178. Vancouver [from Winnipeg]: Ilya Nazarov, RW
Venturing to Russian, they take Nazarov to boost depth and size upfront. With his size and strength, there's potential for him to slip into a depth role. He's a longterm type of selection.

Comparison: Jim Vesey. Nazarov's a big winger that adds some scoring in a depth role. While he can add some physicality, he's skating is lacking.

179. Nashville: Finlay Williams, C
The captain of the Penticton Vees played in the BCHL last year and will be headed to the University of Michigan next season. Looking at their trends, he could be someone they're interested in.

Comparison: Nate Thompson. Working hard during every shift, Williams plays an intense, aggressive game. He's someone that could be a depth player, if all things work out well.

180. Edmonton: Vasili Machulin, D
They've been taking some swings on Russians in recent years, ie: Denezhekin, Beryozkin, Konovalov. Machulin could be the latest guy they'd take a chance on, loving his big bomb of a shot from the point and his stay-at-home presence.

Comparison: Ryan Graves. Graves is a big, powerful defenseman, who's one of the hardest shooters in the draft. He can be physical and makes life difficult for attackers.

181. Boston: Jeremy Wilmer, LW
After playing with the US national team, he'll be going to Boston University next year. His lack of height is unfortunate, it's also what keeps him from going higher, allowing the Bruins to go for broke, hoping his offense translate to the professional levels.

Comparison: Conor Sheary. Wilmer's a 5'7" American with a lot of offensive potential. His lack of size is troublesome, so the team that takes him likely realizes what a risk he is.

182. Minnesota: Marcus Almquist, LW
Another tiny firebug is off the board, as Wild give Marcus Almquist a shot. He's probably a darkhorse shot in the dark; but if he makes it, he could turn into a nice offensive weapon.

Comparison: Mats Zuccarello. High-risk/high-reward type of player. He's got good playmaking and overall offensive skill. His problem? He's only 5'7".

183. Washington: Cameron Berg, RW
Another overager is off the board here for the Capitals. Berg probably could have/should have been selected last year. He wasn't, so Washington gives him a shot here late in the draft. His offense in the USHL last year should be able to translate, or at least they hope.

Comparison: Mathieu Joseph. Berg's an overager with excellent speed, who can use his body to help provide offense. Blessed with a really good shot, he can be counted on to provide some solid depth offense.

184. Florida: Dmitri Katelevsky, LW/RW
Katelevsky is a very projectable, yet non-flashy, winger. If he's still on the board, Florida could definitely take him here. He's looked good throughout the year and can be counted on as someone that works his way to the net and works for every goal, assist and point he earns. A true depth player that can be a helpful member of a team's core.

Comparison: Artturi Lehkonen. Katelevsky's put up a good point total, but he's probably more of a projectable winger that can be placed on any line to produce results. Results, of course, being hits, puck movement, checks, passes, shots, etc.. Not a high-end type; he's someone that does a ton of work to stay in the lineup.

185. Toronto: Lukas Gustafsson, D
They've recently hired several members of the Chicago Steel staff. They'd probably be well aware of Gustafsson's future potential. Last year, he was held to lower minutes to being lower on the depth chart. They think he's due for a breakout season once he's given more time to play.

Comparison: Sami Vatanen. Puck-mover that's lacking in size, who can be an offensive contributor from the backend. He makes the easy plays and can be fantastic in transition.

186. Edmonton [from Pittsburgh]: Cameron Rowe, G
The Oilers watched Cameron Rowe in net for Wisconsin last year as they checked in on Dylan Holloway's progress. They could take him here, boosting their depth in goal, liking what he did this year.

Comparison: Keith Kinkaid. Rowe has depth potential. Maybe he can eventually developing into something more. Either way, he's great with his glove and seems to track pucks well. He's a project worth taking on.

187. Carolina: Ville Ottavainen, D
Their knowledge of Finns comes in handy, as they could take Ottavainen here. After a short stint in the OHL during his draft year, this overage went back to Finland, where he improved his game and showed why he should have originally been selected in his draft year. Carolina could use his size and mobility for their blueline.

Comparison: Jan Rutta. Ottavainen has good size, really good mobility and can provide some offense in a depth role.

188. Buffalo [from Colorado]: Ivan Zhigalov, G
Their goaltender depth is pretty dismal. They may grab one or two guys in order to shore up their depth with later rounds selections. In this case, Zhigalov might be worth grabbing. He was selected to play in the QMJHL during the import draft. He might be worth waiting for.

Comparison: Louis Domingue. He's one of the rare right-hand catching goalies, who has a good frame and can play a solid puck-stopping role. He's a longterm guy.

189. New York Islanders: Martin Rysavy, RW/LW
Seems like a late-round gamble the Isles could make. Moose Jaw selected him in the import draft and it seems like he's coming over. It might be a solid pickup at this point.

Comparison: Richard Panik. He's got a solid core that allows him to play physical. He forechecks hard and he's got some solid offensive skill. If he makes it, it's probably in a depth role.

190. Vegas: Jake Chiasson, RW
They likely still have some scouts that are connected to the Brandon Wheat Kings. They could latch onto him at this rank, loving his style of game. The way he gets to high-danger areas would enticing, wish Vegas feeling he's the best player on the board.

Comparison: Curtis Lazar. While I'm not sure of his overall offensive upside, Chiasson is someone that can bring some grit, while working his way to in front of the net and fight for pucks. He profiles well as an energy guy.

191. Montreal: Andrei Buyalsky, LW/C
Born in 2000, I do believe the Kazakhstan-born forward, Buyalsky, is in his final year of draft eligibility. He played in Dubuque last year and will be continuing his education with the University of Vermont next year. It feels like the type of late boom-or-bust type of selection the Habs could make.

Comparison: Brendan Perlini. The Kazakhstan-born forward's strong legs allow him to push forward and play with a ton of speed. Standing 6'3" and coming in with the speed that he rockets in with, cutting straight to the net, can be dangerous for other teams. His maximum upside is probably something like a Josh Anderson, as long as everything goes right.

192. Tampa Bay: Graham Sward, D
One of the youngest in the draft, Tampa looks to walk away with another steal for their blueline. They'll think and hope he can keep developing, with his youth in his favor. They love drafting from the WHL, so Sward is another one of those selections.

Comparison: Zach Whitecloud. He probably won't be a huge offensive producer. He's likely to become someone that plays a solid defensive game. He needs time and refinement, but there might be something there.

---------

ROUND 7

193. Buffalo: Nikita Quapp, G
In need of goalie depth, the Sabres grab Nikita Quapp in this range. Quapp put up good numbers for Germany at the u18's and made himself a viable candidate to get drafted. They can bring him into their organization and give him plenty of time to develop, hoping he can turn his potential into something good. Plus he's a fellow German to join JJ Peterka.

Comparison: David Ritich. Quapp's a goalie that the size that teams like from their goalie tandems. He's worked hard against inferior competition in German leagues and has shown some upside along the way. A boom or bust type of goalie.

194. Seattle: Talyn Boyko, G
The Kraken could use a goalie for the longterm. As such, they grab a western kid, Talyn Boyko. He stands 6'8", so he's an absolute giant in the net. They'd hope his size can translate to become a starter over time.

Comparison: Mikko Koskinen. There hasn't been many 6'8" goalies in the league. Maybe he profiles as similar to someone such as Koskinen, who uses his size and ability to play a role.

195. Tampa Bay [from New Jersey]: Dovar Tinling, LW
Tinling reeks of a late-round swing from Tampa Bay. They love using these picks on talent going to college, ie: Ross Colton, who also went to Vermont. His season wasn't great, but maybe he can turn things around.

Comparison: Evan Rodrigues. Tinling's a skilled forward with some playmaking talent that could fill a depth role in due time.

196. Columbus: Maxim Motorygin, G
Height and the Russian factor keep Motorygin from going earlier. The Blue Jackets would be wise to keep some talent in their netminding repository.

Comparison: Pavel Francouz. Motorygin only has average height, which, for goalies, is considered small. The good news is that he's got a lot of athleticism and has shown his mettle over in Europe.

197. St. Louis [from Detroit]: Nick Degrazia, LW
Even though Degrazia didn't get the chance to play this year, he could still find himself selected. He at least played at the PBHH in Erie, so some team could take a late-round swing.

Comparison: Darren Helm. Degrazia's got absolute blazing speed. If he ever makes it, it'll be based off his ability to generate speed off the rush, which allows him to be effective at all areas of the ice.

198. San Jose: Luca Munzenberger, D
Munzenberger played with Germany at the WJC in December and didn't look out of place. He may not be confused for someone that drives offense. Instead, he'll be a physical upstart that works hard and punished opponents.

Comparison: Ilya Lyubushkin. Solid defender that keeps things simple and solid. His game will be all about defending and bringing physicality.

199. Pittsburgh [from Anaheim: Connor Trenholm, C
They're always good at drafting from the Q. Trenholm spent some time away from hockey due to health issues. He's return and looks like a very adequate center that profiles as a depth contributor. The fact that he's from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia, the hometown of Sidney Crosby doesn't hurt, either.

Comparison: Riley Nash. Trenholm could become a depth center that works incredibly hard on the ice. He loves to hit, loves to play a gritty game and can be counted on to do a lot of defensive heavy work.

200. Carolina [from Los Angeles]: Owen Murray, D
Murray's got good talent and lots of speed. He's a depth guy for their blueline. Probably a longterm option, who'll be playing in UMass the next few years. He profiles well as a modern day type of defenseman with good wheels, who likes putting points on the board. A late-round, high-upside type of swing for Carolina.

Comparison: Will Butcher. Murray's got great speed, excellent hockey sense and can be counted on to become an offensive puck mover with great skill.

201. Vancouver: Alex Gagne, D
Gagne is a really solid, overage defensive defenseman. His style of game is exactly what the Canucks want, also loving that he's probably closer to contributing. At #201, they throw a dart at hime, hoping it sticks.

Comparison: Robert Bortuzzo. Gagne's not going to standout for flashy play. His game will be all about shutting down opposition, playing hard, playing physical and making smart decisions.

202. Ottawa: Haakon Hanelt, LW
Hanelt may not have gotten enough viewings this season to warrant him a higher selection. It's hard to say for sure. Maybe they were able to get some views in on him while they were scouting Tim Stutzle last year. Who knows. Either way, it's a gamble worth taking on.

Comparison: Tobias Reider. The speedy German winger has two-way upside. He can find a role as a depth player that likes to add some bonus scoring, while also making smarts defensive plays.

203. New Jersey [from Arizona]: James Hardie, LW
Hardie was unjustly passed over last year. The Devils decide to take a chance on him at this point, loving his ability to find a way to put pucks in the net. He's another kid from the OHL that didn't get to play this year, so that's a concern... but as a 7th rounder, it's a fine shot in the dark.

Comparison: Emil Bemstrom. An absolute sniper. Hardie is a player with a helluva shot, who knows how to get pucks into the net. His skating could still use work since he isn't the tallest player on the ice.

204. Chicago: Oskar Jellvik, RW
He wasn't able to show his talents at the u18's, resulting in his stock taking a hit, falling down the board. The Hawks have some good European scouts, so they're likely well aware of him, always willing to take a few Swedes during the draft.

Comparison: Pius Suter. He might have some late round potential as an offensive player, even if it's just as a depth guy or AHL'er. He's good at scoring and knows where to go in order to produce.

205. Calgary: Dmitri Zugan, C
Grabbing another Russian late in the draft, the Flames would be excited to see if his speed and energy can translate. He's the type of late swing a team makes, hoping it pays off over time. Maybe it works; maybe it doesn't. It's worth a shot.

Comparison: Matt Nieto. Zugan's got bundles of energy and speed that allows him to play a two-way role. He's aggressive on the forecheck and likes to create turnovers. He's a shorter player, so there's always a risk.

206. Philadelphia: Dylan Gratton, D
He's a kid that's born right outside of Philadelphia. Even thought Gratton didn't have an overly outstanding season, he's still got some skill. It's a 7th round swing on a local kid. They hope this good gesture can help him in his development.

Comparison: Nick Jensen. He's a mobile defenseman that could fulfill a depth role someday. Probably not a huge offensive producer; moreso a guy that fills up a role and does what's asked of him.

207. Dallas: Oliver Suni, RW
Passed over last year, Dallas gives Suni a chance late in the draft, always having savvy scouting in Finland. He, again, put up solid numbers this year, after playing in the OHL the year before and could be a good late selection.

Comparison: Mason Appleton. Suni's not a great skater, but is capable of providing some offensive depth. Like Appleton, he's a late round selection that might break out into a depth role.

208. New York Rangers: David Ma, D
With all eyes on the Chicago Steel this year, it's likely David Ma gets drafted. It just depends on where. As a New York native, maybe the Rangers give him a shot at this point.

Comparison: Chad Ruhwedel. After getting passed over last year, it likely doesn't happen again. He's an all-around type of defenseman that blocks shots, transitions pucks and could play a depth role over time.

209. Carolina [from St. Louis]: Jeremi Tammela, RW
Being one of the youngest in the draft class has its perks. For one, you get almost an added year of bonus developmental time. The Carolina Hurricanes could select him here, further going to their neverending well of Finnish players.

Comparison: Vinnie Hinostroza. Tammela's undersized, standing only 5'9"... but he could grow. After all, he's one of the youngest in the draft. Right now, Hinostroza could be a comparable. However, if he has a growth spurt, he could keep developing into something further.

210. Florida [from Winnipeg]: Ethan Straky, D
For a late pick, Ethan Straky is great value here in the 7th. He's an American kid that's played with the national team and also had a depth role at the u18's. He'll be going to a good program in Notre Dame. The Panthers have a liking for American defenseman, so maybe there's something here.

Comparison: Connor Clifton. A two-way defender, he can apply pressure to incoming attackers and tries to keep pucks in motion up towards the ice.

211. Tampa Bay [from Nashville]: Stuart Rolofs, C/LW
Tampa's known for making its high-risk/high-reward picks. This selection of Rolfs feels right in that vein due to him not playing this year. On the other hand, the word on him was good at the PBHH and he's coming from a good program and he's got some nice tools.

Comparison: Austin Wagners. Rolofs is one of the fastest players in the draft and comes with good size. It's hard to give an accurate comparable given his lack of playing time. His skating could be something that causes teams havoc.

212. Edmonton: Carson Latimer, RW
Playing withthe Edmonton Oil Kings, Latimer is an easy choice at this point. He's another speedy winger with size, something the Oilers would really appreciate.

Comparison: Jayson Megna. Latimer's got excellent skating ability, like Megna, who could find himself in an energy role in the professional ranks.

213. Boston: Viljami Juusola, D
Seeking a steal in this range, Juusola might be someone of interest for the Bruins. He's a long ways off and is lacking in size, but he could be someone that surprises in the next 4-5 years.

Comparison: Connor Carrick. Juusola's main problem will be his lack of size. The good news is that he's pretty well-rounded and can carry and skate with pucks well. He could become a mobile, puck-carrier in a depth role, if he makes it.

214. Minnesota: Linus Sjodin, C
It's mainly a pick for center depth. Sjodin profiles as a depth center that plays a defensively sound game. Might be worth it for someone that can slide into a bottom-six for the Wild.

Comparison: Marcus Kruger. Not the biggest, nor the most explosive, Sjodin is someone that knows how to play a strong defensive role down the middle. He could be a player on your 4th line and penalty kill that wins draws, blocks shots and cuts down traffic.

215. Pittsburgh [from Washignton]: Carter Schade, D
They might want to boost their defense by taking a native Pennsylvanian. He plays a well-rounded game, which could prove to be promising over time. Worthy of a late round spin of the roulette wheel.

Comparison: Alex Biega. Not a tall guy, Schade's a 5'11" defender that's an all-around defenseman, who usually keeps it simple. He can be physical and keep pucks in movement.

216. Chicago [from Florida]: Bennett Rossmy, RW
It's the 7th round, they take a fellow German to join Lukas Reichel with the club. Rossmy is a late-round swing, who has good size and some credentials. If it lands, the Hawks would be happy, even if he only finds himself in a depth situation.

Comparison: Alex Chiasson. Tall kid that likes to shoot. There might be "something" there. Just give him some time.

217. Boston [from Toronto]: Luca Fantilli, D
Somehow, this member of the powerhouse Chicago Steel is still on the board. The Bruins remedy that by taking him here, offering more depth to their blueline. He'll be going to a good program next year with the Univesity of Michigan, as well.

Comparison: Jordan Oesterle. He's a Canadian kid developing in the American collegiate ranks. He's known for his really good skating and puck movement abilities.

218. Pittsburgh: Jacob Guevin, D
Undersized defenseman such as Guevin could likely fall in the draft due to teams wanting sizeable defenseman. If so, the Pens hope for a late steal here with Guevin. He's another Canadian that's in the American collegiate systems, learning his trade that way.

Comparison: Erik Gustafsson. Guevin's the type of defenseman that's all-offense and puck movement. He's an offensive weapon from the point... something at the cost of his own defensive effort.

219. Carolina: Carter Serhyenko, G
Carolina always tend to use at least one draft pick on a goalie. This year, they take Serhyenko as a late round option, hoping he can translate. He's been working hard in the WHL and might make a team happy with a late pick.

Comparison: Anthony Stolarz. Seryhenko's got a lot of raw potential and tools. He's got the size of the modern day goalie, along with the cool, calm stealthiness. He's worthy of a late round pick.

220. Colorado: Yevgeni Kashnikov, D
In the past, they've taken Russians with their late-round picks. I don't know if it'll change under the new management or not. However, Kashnikov's playing in Gatineau as a defenseman, who can also shift to forward.

Comparison: Michael Stone. He's a big, Russian kid that's capable of playing defense or wing. He moves well, can log a lot of minutes and can even unload on pucks with heavy shots.

221. New York Islanders: Florian Elias, C/LW
He had a really good showing at the WJC for Germany back at the end of 2020. The Isles remember that and take a chance on him, even though he's small. It's the 7th round and it's a risk worth taking.

Comparison: Denis Malgin. Elias is a small center that can shift to the wing. He's capable of producing points and delivering some well-rounded playmaking skill.

222. Vegas: Brian Zanetti, D
Vegas grabs Swiss defender with some size, which is what they tend to like. He's property of the Peterborough Petes and could eventually come over and contribute in North America.

Comparison: Ben Hutton. Zanetti's got good size and moves quite well. He's got the potential to become a mobile puck-mover that plays a well-rounded overall game.

223. Montreal: Dmitri Rashevsky, RW
Yannick St. Pierre is the guy that used to do the draft dynasty videos for Youtube... and he was hired this past season by Montreal as a video scout. He was high on Rashevsky and maybe he'd try to sell their other staff on him. He's a 20 year old Russian that should have been selected last year. It can be similar to their pick of Alexander Gordin from last year's draft, in that they're hoping to find a steal from Russia.

Comparison: Carter Verhaeghe. Verhaeghe and Rashevsky both seem like similar type of late-blooming talents that have some of the same positives and negative. They're both skilled, can be puck wizards and love shooting the puck. Unfortunately, they're also prone to some uncertain skating and defensive miscues.

224. Tampa Bay: Petr Moravec, RW
The final pick in my draft is is Petr Moravec. Tampa likes their Czechs and they love players with speed. Moravec may be the "Mr. Irrelevant", yet can still cause a fuss for opposing teams on the ice.

Comparison: Anders Bjork. As stated, Moravec's game is all about using his speed as a method of creation. He's able to use it at all ends of the ice.

NOTABLE OMISSIONS:

- Logan Mailloux: The obvious.
- Daniil Sobolev: Probably gets picked up next year as a re-entry.
- Vladimir Sychyov: Lack of playing time could hurt him. Likely a re-entry for next year.
- Daniil Lazutin: Maybe he can turn it around next year.
- Jiri Tichacek: Small defense are probably on the downswing after the recent playoffs. Worth a pick, though.
- Josh Bloom: Lack of OHL season hurts him. Probably picked next year.
- Jacob Holmes: See Josh Bloom.
- Alex Geci: He might get picked with a team hoping for a late steal. Lack of playing hurts him. Probably a re-entry next year.
- Jack O'Brien: Poor season. Might be a late rounder.
- Verner Miettinen: No real standout qualities. Maybe a late pick.
- Trevor Wong: Lack of size and playing time.

SUMMARY:

Anaheim:
---
3. Dylan Guenther, RW/LW
34. Shai Buium, D
66. Cole Huckins, C/LW
98. Justin Janicke, LW
130. Zakhar Bardakov, LW/RW
148. Luke Mittelstadt, D
162. Connor Kurth, RW

Arizona:
---
37. Zach Dean, C/LW
43. Sasha Pastujov, LW/RW
60. Josh Doan, RW
107. Roman Schmidt, D
122. Carl Lindbom, G
139. Ty Murchison, D
171. Jack Beck, LW/RW

Boston:
---
21. Zachary Bolduc, C/LW
85. Guillaume Richard, D
117. Sasha Teleguine, RW
149. Josh Lopina, C
181. Jeremy Wilmer, LW
213. Viljami Juusola, D
217. Luca Fantilli, D

Buffalo:
---
1. Owen Power, D
33. Aatu Raty, C
53. William Stromgren, LW
88. Ryan Ufko, D
95. Kalle Vaisnane, LW/RW
97. Janis Moser, D
159. Brody Lamb, RW
161. Ryan St. Louis, LW
188. Ivan Zhigalov, G
193. Nikita Quapp, G

Calgary:
---
13. Fyodor Svechkov, C
45. Simon Robertsson, RW
77. Sean Tschigerl, LW
84. Oscar Plandowski, D
141. Robert Orr, RW/C
173. Simon Groch, D
205. Dmitri Zugan, C

Carolina:
---
27. Logan Stankoven, RW
59. Ville Koivunen, LW
91. Ryder Korczak, C/RW
123. Cole Jordan, D
187. Ville Ottavainen, D
200. Owen Murray, D
209. Jeremi Tammela, RW
219. Carter Serhyenko, G

Chicago:
---
12. Jesper Wallstedt, G
44. Colton Dach, LW
62. Anton Olsson, D
105. William Trudeau, D
108. Jackson Blake, RW
172. Simon Motew, D
204. Oskar Jellvik, RW
216. Bennett Rossmy, RW

Colorado:
---
28. Wyatt Johnston, C/RW
61. Tristan Lennox, G
92. Cameron Whynot, D
220. Yevgeni Kashnikov, D

Columbus:
---
5. Mason McTavish, C
25. Daniil Chayka, D
32. Mackie Samoskevich, RW/C
69. Dylan Duke, LW
101. Dmmitri Kostenko, D
132. Vladislav Lukashevich, D
133. Kalle Ervasti, D
165. Francesco Arcuri, C
196. Maxim Motorygin, G

Dallas:
---
15. Brennan Othmann, LW
47. Prokhor Poltapov, LW/RW
73. Danila Klimovich, LW
79. Alexei Kolosov, G
111. Topias Vilen, D
143. Caedan Bankier, C
175. Hugo Gabrielsson, D
207. Oliver Suni, RW

Detroit:
---
6. William Eklund, LW
23. Fabian Lysell, RW
38. Olen Zellweger, D
48. Benjamin Gaudreau, G
70. Ethan del Mastro, D
94. Victor Stjernborg, RW/C
102. Peter Reynolds, RW/C
128. David Gucciardi, D
134. Gustavs Ozolins, D
138. Carter Mazur, LW
166. Owen Bartoszkiewicz, G

Edmonton:
---
20. Zachary L'Heureux, LW
116. Ryan Mast, D
180. Vasili Machulin, D
186. Cameron Rowe, G
212. Carson Latimer, RW

Florida:
---
24. Carson Lambos, D
56. Oliver Kapanen, C/RW
120. Liam Gilmartin, LW
152. Kyle Masters, D
184. Dmitri Katelevsky, Lw/RW
210. Ethan Straky, D

Los Angeles:
---
8. Simon Edvinsson, D
49. Samu Tuomaala, RW
72. Aidan Hreschuk, D
89. Patrik Hamrla, G
109. Andre Gasseau, C
136. Ethan Cardwell, RW/C
168. Aku Koskenvuo, G

Minnesota:
---
22. Nikita Chibrikov, RW
26. Xavier Bourgault, C/RW
54. Stanislav Svozil, D
86. Ilya Fedotov, RW
90. Dmitri Kuzmin, D
118. Jake Martin, D
150. Emerik Despatie,G
182. Marcus Almquist, LW
214. Linus Sjodin, C

Montreal:
---
31. Matthew Knies, LW
63. Riley Kidney, C/LW
64. Vincent Iorio, D
76. Justin Robidas, RW/C
87. Joe Vrbetic, G
113. Tyson Hinds, D
126. Joel Nystrom, D
127. Kyle Kukkonen, RW
142. Niko Huuhtanen, RW/LW
191. Andrei Buyalskiy, C/LW
223. Dmitri Rashevsky, RW

Nashville:
---
19. Isak Rosen, RW/LW
40. Aleksi Heimosalmi, D
51. Evan Nause, D
83. Sean Behrens, D
115. Matvei Petrov, LW/RW
124. James Malatesta LW
147. Connor Lockhart, RW
179. Finlay Williams, C

New Jersey:
---
4. Luke Hughes, D
29. Tyler Boucher, LW/RW
68. Jack Bar, D
100. Jack Matier, D
129. Albert Sjoberg, LW/RW
164. Lucas Forsell, LW
203. James Hardie, LW

New York Islanders:
---
52. Brett Harrison, LW/C
93. Lorenzo Canonica, C/RW
125. Nikolai Makarov, D
157. Cameron MacDonald, LW
189. Martin Rysavy, RW/LW
221. Florian Elias, C/LW

New York Rangers:
---
16. Chaz Lucius, C/RW
65. Red Savage, C
80. Aleksi Malinen, D
104. Liam Dower-Nilsson, C/LW
106. Jakub Brabenec, C/LW
112. Artyom Grushnikov, D
144. Henry Nelson, D
176. Eetu Liukas, RW
208. David Ma, D

Ottawa:
---
10. Sebastian Cossa, G
39. Samuel Helenius, C
42. Brent Johnson, D
74. Ryan Winterton, RW/C
170. Caden Brown, LW
202. Haakon Hanelt, LW

Philadelphia:
---
14. Cole Sillinger, C/LW
46. Scott Morrow, D
78. Olivier Nadeau, LW/RW
110. Ty Gallagher, D
158. Jacob Melanson, RW
174. Olivier Adam, G
206. Dylan Gratton, D

Pittsburgh:
---
58. Ayrton Martino, LW
154. Brett Brochu, G
199. Connor Trenholm, C
215. Carter Schade, D
218. Jacob Guevin, D

Seattle:
---
2. Matthew Beniers, C
35. Jack Peart, D
67. Conner Roulette, LW
99. Ty Voit, RW
131. Jeremy Hanzel, D
163. Elias Stenman, C/LW
194. Talyn Boyko, G

San Jose:
---
7. Brandt Clarke, D
71. Tristan Broz, LW/C
103. Ilya Safonov, C
121. Joshua Roy, RW
135. Samyon Vyazovoy, G
156. Oliver Moberg, C/LW
167. Ilya Ivantsov, C/LW
198. Luca Munzenberger, D

St. Louis:
---
17. Matthew Coronato, RW/LW
81. Ben Roger, D
145. Taige Harding, D
177. Charles Alexis-Legault, D
197. Nick Degrazia, LW

Tampa Bay:
---
96. Zachary Ostapchuk, LW
160. Viljami Marjala, LW
192. Graham Sward, D
195. Dovar Tinling, LW/RW
211. Stuart Rolofs, C/LW
224. Petr Moravec, RW

Toronto:
---
57. Chase Stillman, RW
153. Kirill Gerasimyuk, G
185. Lukas Gustafsson, D

Vancouver:
---
9. Kent Johnson, LW/C
41. Kirill Kirsanov, D
137. Ethan Samson, D
140. Martin Schreiber, D
169. Manix Landry, C/LW
178. Ilya Nazarov, RW
201. Alex Gagne, D

Vegas:
---
30. Francesco Pinelli, C/LW
36. Oskar Olausson, LW/RW
114. Jayden Grubbe, C/RW
155. Ryker Evans, D
190. Jake Chiasson, RW
222. Brian Zanetti, D

Washington:
---
55. Alexander Kisakov, LW
75. Nolan Allan, D
119. Bryce Montgomery, D
151. Simon Kank, RW
103. Cameron Berg, RW

Winnipeg:
---
18. Corson Ceulemans, D
50. Samu Salminen, C/LW
82. Eric Alarie, LW
146. Hunter Strand, LW

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Zero Finns in 1st round would be huge embarrassment for Finnish hockey.
And if / when that really happens then it should lead serious
questionings of Finnish player development model
and immediate staff changes in Finnish ice hockey association and junior hockey coaching
because someones should carry their responsibilities and lose their jobs in that situation.

You have Aku Koskenvuo going 168th overall in 6 round.
That won't happen this year and why let me tell you.

Koskevuo didn't impress anybody ( including me ) in U18 WJC's.
He was really shaky and unsure always when he was Finland's net
and he couldn't catch nothing he was total sieve who shouldn't even make on the team.

If Koskenvuo has any type career in pro hockey he won't be nothing more
than barely an backup goalie in bottom SM liiga teams or passable starter in Mestis or Suomi sarja.
Koskenvuo is not NHL caliber goalie prospect.

I already feel sorry for that NCAA team who signed Koskenvuo.
That team bite huge amount of shit in that signing.

If ( A very massive if ) that miracle really happens and Koskenvuo plays someday even 1 NHL game
then i'm more than surprised because that would 8th miracle in the world.
And this comes a Finnish guy who saw all Koskenvuo's and Finland's games in U18 WJC's.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Unbelievable work. We’re talking several hours just for the writing there.

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
I can’t imagine how much time you spent in this. The end result is a superb job!

While I’m hoping one of a few players drops to Vancouver in the first, I’m quite OK with Kent Johnson being the pick. I think his work ethic will help overcome any shortcomings; his skill is without question.

For the rest of the draft, I really like what you did. I’ve heard more than one person say they hope thee Canucks load up on D. Your draft effectively does that. In particular, I love Kirsanov in Round 2. Honestly, I find him underrated and someone I could easily see going in the first. If he is there in the second, I think it’s a no brainer to take him.

Excellent work!

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Great mock. I like most of the sharks picks. Not sold on an overager in the fourth, as it seems this new sharks department is all for ceiling high risk bets, but some of your other picks fit that to a tee!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad