New York Rangers prospects in Europe, NCAA improve significantly

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
cristoval_nieves_michigan_122814.jpg
Photo: Cristoval Nieves’ 28 points in 35 games were an improvement over last season’s effort. (Courtesy of Dave Reginek/Getty Images)

</p>The New York Rangers prospect pool took a bit of a hit this season, but despite the trades and graduations within the system, there are still solid prospects in Europe and the NCAA.

Among collegiate players, Brady Skjei appears ready for regular minutes in the NHL after a quality season with*the University of*Minnesota. The Rangers also have two developing forwards playing collegiately, as Notre Dame’s captain Steven Fogarty and Michigan’s newly-minted winger Cristoval Nieves used this season to take steps in the right direction.… read more

The post New York Rangers prospects in Europe, NCAA improve significantly appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glad to see that Calle Andersson took a step forward. He's a big kid with great tools, so I'm willing to be patient as long as there's clear progression. It's hard to project anything from NLA production, but he clearly started to display the offensive potential we all know he has. I'm eager to see if he can take another step forward next season. The Rangers must think he still has legitimate potential, or else they wouldn't have given him an ELC last season.

Zamorsky is another interesting player. I've seen him the least out of all the European guys, but I remember liking his game the few times I saw him in camp. He's on the small size, but not to a problematic level. If he's really 190, he should be able to transition to the NA pro game at that weight. He came to the organization with a penchant for being a bit of a wild man, but he seemed to curtail that behavior this year. I remember a few people posting reports that he didn't seem nearly as aggressive during the season, before or after his move. I wonder if the Rangers asked him to focus more on his skill game? Either way, it will be interesting to see what he has if/when he comes over to the States.

The Rangers system in general reminds me of the Mets' system from a few years back--thin overall, but with some interesting, unheralded guys that could really bolster the pipeline if they continue to develop. It's pretty weak now, but if you had a couple guys like Boo and Zamorsky, plus maybe a Mantha or a Nanne take a big step forward next season, it would look a little better. Those guys all have the natural skill to be big-time players. Can they put it together? If a couple of them did, I'd feel much better about the system.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also, nice article, David. I appreciate that you focused a bit more on their player development, rather than just recapping their statistical outputs.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Also, nice article, David. I appreciate that you focused a bit more on their player development, rather than just recapping their statistical outputs.

Agreed, perfectly summarized.

Would be great if we can get a player out of one of Fogarty/Nieves & Andersson/Zamorsky. Lesson the blow of so many missing high picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
cristoval_nieves_michigan_122814.jpg
Photo: Cristoval Nieves’ 28 points in 35 games were an improvement over last season’s effort. (Courtesy of Dave Reginek/Getty Images)

</p>The New York Rangers prospect pool took a bit of a hit this season, but despite the trades and graduations within the system, there are still solid prospects in Europe and the NCAA.

Among collegiate players, Brady Skjei appears ready for regular minutes in the NHL after a quality season with*the University of*Minnesota. The Rangers also have two developing forwards playing collegiately, as Notre Dame’s captain Steven Fogarty and Michigan’s newly-minted winger Cristoval Nieves used this season to take steps in the right direction.… read more

The post New York Rangers prospects in Europe, NCAA improve significantly appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

These are a pleasant read, and useful --- esp. if it's good news!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad