GDT: New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils: Party spoiler edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You just made me laugh...the sad part is I don't think you're being sarcastic :laugh: Yeah they didn't play bad for like two minutes after they lucked into a goal, the other eighteen minutes was an unmitigated train wreck other than in the net.

To be fair, it did seem about 15 of the 19 shots against came during the last 6 or 7 minutes of the period. There was one sequence right before the first Rangers goal scored where Cory made at least 5 saves in 30-45 seconds tops.

Still was very stupid to say that wasn't a bad period. I forgot exactly how he worded it, but he said they didn't play badly that period or something along those lines.

I thought they were worse than most of Saturday for the entire 1st period. At least they forced Henrik to make some saves. Talbot was still having his pregame nap at the start of this game, he probably was woken up by the goal horn.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nothing to defend Merrill on that gaffe but, why did Lou pull Cory with almost 2 minutes still left on the clock-and when the puck was still in our side of center ice?

Very Pete-esque move there.

It was a dumb move.

Oates strike again.

Oates is very Pete-esque after all.

That's why he can't be our head coach next year. And I'm no that critical of what he's done here since he's been back, but his time in Washington was an astronomical disaster.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I went on a FIERY rant about him in this thread.

Like a damn him to hell type rant.

If that was Larsson, he would have been ROASTED even worse by a couple people on here.

Larsson was roasted pretty bad when he got burned by one of the most elite players in the league in OT. Merrill makes a boneheaded and downright lazy and pathetic excuse for a pass and fans on it just feet in front of an empty net.

And I didn't even think he had that bad of a game tonight all in all, it was better than the bad to below average season he had. That was just a whole level of incompetent. Haven't seen a play that bad from a defenseman not named Mark Fraser all year on this team.

I actually forgot all about it until now.

The point is that the people who wanted to BURY Lars for making youth mistakes were wrong, and just because people wrongly buried Lars doesn't make it right to wrongly bury Merrill.

He made a bad pass. He isn't some woeful horrible player that needs to GTFO.

Everyone on this forum needs to stop with the overly hyperbolic comments on our kids. ESPECIALLY when they make mistakes, because they will. It is called growing pains, and defense takes the longest to develop.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nothing to defend Merrill on that gaffe but, why did Lou pull Cory with almost 2 minutes still left on the clock-and when the puck was still in our side of center ice?

Very Pete-esque move there.

It was so early I honestly thought there was a penalty on the play, it didn't occur to me Lou was pulling a Roy until I realized to my disbelief there was no penalty :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd bring back both Bernier and Tootoo if we can shed the dead rotting weight of Zubrus and Ruutu.

But 1-yr deals for both.

They play on different sides of the ice. Bernier and Tootoo have nothing to do with Zubs and Ruutu.

We have ONE signed RW and it is Gio, and he is better at center because most want to see JJ move up to 3C, so that makes ZERO RWs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The funny part was I was going down the steps after the horn and heard the loud boo there, I kind of thought it was the Rangers having the gall to salute their own fans the way they did in '08, I thought maybe the same thing happened with the Rangers winning the President's Trophy and our fans booing that. I wasn't sure it was booing of the Devils till I read this thread. Maybe it was Ranger fans doing the majority of the booing but I stand by what I said about them deserving it regardless.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The point is that the people who wanted to BURY Lars for making youth mistakes were wrong, and just because people wrongly buried Lars doesn't make it right to wrongly bury Merrill.

He made a bad pass. He isn't some woeful horrible player that needs to GTFO.

Everyone on this forum needs to stop with the overly hyperbolic comments on our kids. ESPECIALLY when they make mistakes, because they will. It is called growing pains, and defense takes the longest to develop.
I'm just tired of the false statements that this player has had a good season and does more good than bad.

He has not had a good season, luckily it's almost over though and I think he'll return to form next year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The funny part was I was going down the steps after the horn and heard the loud boo there, I kind of thought it was the Rangers having the gall to salute their own fans the way they did in '08, I thought maybe the same thing happened with the Rangers winning the President's Trophy and our fans booind that. I wasn't sure it was booing of the Devils till I read this thread. Maybe it was Ranger fans doing the majority of the booing but I stand by what I said about them deserving it regardless.

It was mostly Ranger fans because that was all that was left in the lower bowl. Team still deserved to be booed.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
They play on different sides of the ice. Bernier and Tootoo have nothing to do with Zubs and Ruutu.

We have ONE signed RW and it is Gio, and he is better at center because most want to see JJ move up to 3C, so that makes ZERO RWs.

I think that's why Paul Thompson was signed to a two way. At least he's a RW

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Code:

Yehhh it does stick but ive waited at atleast 20 home games this season for Cory to sign and it finally happened! I think he has social anxiety to tell you the truth. He looked unconforatable being surrounded by a ton of people. Kinky felt right at home though

I'm very happy that you got Cory to sign after so many home games of waiting. Shame that Cory was so nervous around the fans. Hopefully, he gets more comfortable over time here once he sees how much we love him here in NJ. Great that Kinky was so at ease, though.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Sorry they deserved every boo they got tonight...that was a JOKE of an 'effort', which was fitting for the joke of a season this was. The last two games we were just their frigging clown prop.

Well the majority of this roster is filled with players who just aren't any good or have just a low ceiling and can only do so much. Some of them really don't deserve to get boo'd but guys like Zajac and Henrique, two big money players, who basically ran away and hid over these last two games, definitely should feel the wrath. I like Henrique as much as the next person but the amount of no showing he did this season when the going got tough was pretty alarming. Zajac is puke.

If I was there, the booing would be more towards the two clowns behind the bench; Gramps and Deboer's evil twin brother Oates. Getting boo'd off the ice by both Rangers and Devils fans in the last home game of the season is such a fitting way for this team to go out. They started the season with boos and ended with boos.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
It was a crap performance and season.

The Devils fans that were left were standing up and applauding (at least in my area of the arena) it was basically the jagaloon Ranger fans that were doing the booing mostly.

I tip my cap to any and all Devil fans that came out tonight , would have been easy to stay home or cash out ( no problems with the fans who made bank tonight off a meaningless game either) just crap scheduling getting the rangers the last home game of the season in this case.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm very happy that you got Cory to sign after so many home games of waiting. Shame that Cory was so nervous around the fans. Hopefully, he gets more comfortable over time here once he sees how much we love him here in NJ. Great that Kinky was so at ease, though.

Cory is awesome. He was probably the nicest player I've ever met when I went to his signing in his first year in Warren. Struck up a genuine conversation about BC with him and even told him to not worry because the wins will come :laugh:. He definitely seems a bit more shy than most athletes but you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It was a crap performance and season.

The Devils fans that were left were standing up and applauding (at least in my area of the arena) it was basically the jagaloon Ranger fans that were doing the booing mostly.

I tip my cap to any and all Devil fans that came out tonight , would have been easy to stay home or cash out ( no problems with the fans who made bank tonight off a meaningless game either) just crap scheduling getting the rangers the last home game of the season in this case.

That's another thing...with this being against the Rangers and what they clinched by winning there's NO shot I was staying late, it didn't occur to me we'd even attempt a fan salute tonight (which is normally custom on FA Night). They're lucky I stayed for the final buzzer.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Olbermann who?

I find it funny how there was such an uproar over the Devils playing physical with the Rangers last night. I mean give me a break. Are they made out of ****ing glass? You would think the Devils were the Flyers from the 70's with some of these ridiculous comments.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Well the majority of this roster is filled with players who just aren't any good or have just a low ceiling and can only do so much. Some of them really don't deserve to get boo'd but guys like Zajac and Henrique, two big money players, who basically ran away and hid over these last two games, definitely should feel the wrath. I like Henrique as much as the next person but the amount of no showing he did this season when the going got tough was pretty alarming. Zajac is puke.

If I was there, the booing would be more towards the two clowns behind the bench; Gramps and Deboer's evil twin brother Oates. Getting boo'd off the ice by both Rangers and Devils fans in the last home game of the season is such a fitting way for this team to go out. They started the season with boos and ended with boos.

What is the reason behind booing again? The only ones I can come up with are ignorance or impatience.

The only reason there was clear booing, was because classless Ranger fans were booing. If you think that's right as a Devils fan, well, it's pretty odd.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Olbermann who?

I find it funny how there was such an uproar over the Devils playing physical with the Rangers last night. I mean give me a break. Are they made out of ****ing glass? You would think the Devils were the Flyers from the 70's with some of these ridiculous comments.

There was a clear agenda from the refs last night to protect them for the playoffs. A light rubbing of Larsson's elbow on St.Louis face turned into a dirty vicious hit last night. There were about 5 penalties last night, that would not be called any other time of the year.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

He can't be taken seriously because he does not understand hockey.

Homer Joe and Nosen are MSG/Dolan/Rag shills, so you can expect blueskirt propaganda from them.

There was not a single intent to injure moment in last night's game.
When did Rag fans in the media become so sensitive?
What's next out of them, they will want a cushioned puck?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
He can't be taken seriously because he does not understand hockey.

Homer Joe and Nosen are MSG/Dolan/Rag shills, so you can expect blueskirt propaganda from them.

There was not a single intent to injure moment in last night's game.
When did Rag fans in the media become so sensitive?
What's next out of them, they will want a cushioned puck?

Actually Rosen is a good guy. I have met him. I also think he's one of the more objective announcers around. Olbermann is not worth discussing.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Doesn't really matter when the players aren't good enough

Should be a reality check to management though

Bingo. It still blows me away that this was "Fan Appreciation" night, especially considering the two teams expectations for this season. And as for being booed off the ice by their fans, let's be honest, if the situation was somehow reversed would we not do the same thing? Or be celebrating at their expense then? We'd be doing SOMETHING to rub it in their noses. That's what fans do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad