Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
to me the Panthers pressure like the Hurricanes but they're also a lot more physical team. I'd also easily take Barkov, Tkachuk, Reinhart, Verhaeghe over Aho, Svechnikov, Guentzel, Jarvis---though after that I think the Canes are a little bit deeper than the Panthers. I like the Canes defense better as well at least if we're trading out DeAngelo for Pesce. Slavin and Pesce are amongst the elite of defensive defensemen in the league. I think Bobrovsky may be a little better than Andersen.....they're guys who can go really hot and then really cold. You need a good backup with either in the regular season and hope to God they don't flop in the playoffs. Bobrovsky went a long way last year.

If it's the Panthers I expect that Rempe is going to be in at least some of the games. Questions about whether the Rangers locker room was hit by the flu the last few games---apart from that it appears the entire roster is healthy and that Chytil and Wheeler will even be available. It's a big deal because I could see a good deal of attrition coming out of a Panthers/Rangers series. Any team that gets to the conference finals is capable of going all the way.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I still can’t believe this shit.
1653966400000.jpg

same, very entertaining series

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They objectively don't.

So far through the playoffs the Rangers are 14 out of 16 teams in HDCF%.

Link?
I don’t think Natural Stat Trick captures the reasons behind the Rangers’ success. Corsi is still kind of useful but I don’t think it’s the standard it was ten years ago.

1715970067121.png

It’s literally does not count as a shot on goal.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Narrowly losing a series makes you 100% not a champion in every model. When looking backwards, "should have won" is a loser stat. End of story.

The analytics of the series show it was close and Rangers beat a nearly equal team that was superior in some areas and weaker in others.

Stop arguing about the nuances. They're models - they're not able to measure all of the nuances. It's a fluid sport.

"Nuances" of reality and measurements of a "model" are basically opposites. That's why people so focused on the models are so annoying to listen to.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ohhh okay. I thought because it hit the post, it was closer, originally, to going in, than a shot that originally went ten feet wide. My bad.

Besides what they're saying, the Rangers hit either 3 or 4 posts in game 4. If you're going to talk about how close the Canes were to sending this to 7, you should also be acknowledging just how close they were to getting swept.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Besides what they're saying, the Rangers hit either 3 or 4 posts in game 4. If you're going to talk about how close the Canes were to sending this to 7, you should also be acknowledging just how close they were to getting swept.
oohh okay. I was only examining that they were up 3-1 in game 6, third period, and hit two posts. I should have been looking at the series holistically. My bad.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Guentzel joining the Canucks in the summer at a discount.
I think he'll get a lot of teams showing interest in him. Someone will overpay badly for him.

With that said he is really good and great in the playoffs. But someone will give him a contract that got too many years and far too much $ in it.

Reactions: vcanuck

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
They objectively don't.

So far through the playoffs the Rangers are 14 out of 16 teams in HDCF%.

Link?
So the best team in the regular season, the team with the most come from behind victories over 82 motherf***ing games, the team that's 8-2 in the POs, and the team that just knocked off the SC betting odds favorites don't match your stat model? Then your model f***ing suuuuuuuuucks.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Narrowly losing a series makes you 100% not a champion in every model. When looking backwards, "should have won" is a loser stat. End of story.

The analytics of the series show it was close and Rangers beat a nearly equal team that was superior in some areas and weaker in others.

Stop arguing about the nuances. They're models - they're not able to measure all of the nuances. It's a fluid sport.

"Nuances" of reality and measurements of a "model" are basically opposites. That's why people so focused on the models are so annoying to listen to.

I can see the banner raising next season - "Should have won the Stanley Cup 2023-2024"

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
So the best team in the regular season, the team with the most come from behind victories over 82 motherf***ing games, the team that's 8-2 in the POs, and the team that just knocked off the SC betting odds favorites don't match your stat model? Then your model f***ing suuuuuuuuucks.
Maybe we can hand out banners and trophies to the analytic champs also?

1. Stanley Cup Champs
  2. HDCF Percent Champs

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
Neutral fan here who did watch every game in the series. Canes was far better team at even strength, but special teams and goaltending got Rangers the series win. I dont believe that it can happen again against Boston or Florida, those teams are at "the final boss level". Well, good luck to Rangers against Panthers or Bruins.

• Haha
Reactions: Siddi

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Don’t think NYR has a great chance against Florida. They were exposed at 5v5 again, their PP cooled off as the series went along, and they will be facing a much better goaltender. Shesterkin was very beatable all series.

Their fans were chanting we want Boston after the game because they know they don’t have much of a chance against Florida too.
Better chance than the Canes do at any rate.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
Don’t think NYR has a great chance against Florida. They were exposed at 5v5 again, their PP cooled off as the series went along, and they will be facing a much better goaltender. Shesterkin was very beatable all series.

Their fans were chanting we want Boston after the game because they know they don’t have much of a chance against Florida too.
You have to be in it to win it!! As far as Shesterkin being beatable all series, that is just comical because after 3 games every hockey person was saying he looked unbeatable! That Carolina needed deflections and traffic to beat him. By the way, he looked really beatable on that shot by Svechnikov, so beatable that he made an amazing save!! Just go away, stop acting like a sore loser. Its embarrassing! IGOR was the best player on the ice this series and if there was such a thing as a series MVP he would have received it unanimously!!

Reactions: Black Tank

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hitting the post is no different than missing the net by 10 feet.

Some fans don't realize that hitting the post also could mean that was the only available spot to beat the goalie and had it been an inch the other way, it may hit a piece of equipment preventing it from even coming as close as it did. With that said, it's all speculation, because hitting the post an inch the other way could end up quickly going in the other direction. It's just that when you hear the sound and see it so close to going in, you tend to just throw your head up and say "Just our luck..."

Reactions: eco's bones

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
One thing I must say, this "Forrest Gump"-thing with Rempe at MSG is just wrong. I know he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know he entertains the Rangers fans, but in my opinion it is just emberassing and wrong. The crowd is instigating Rempe to do something violent and stupid because he dont understand it himself and goes with the crowd. But this is just my opinion, dont shoot me!

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Some teams never go far in the playoffs no matter how good their regular season is or how low their odds are.

Leafs, Oilers, Canes, Jets.

Oilers went to conference finals, jets went to conference finals, canes went to conference finals, the other team on this list not so much.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
One thing I must say, this "Forrest Gump"-thing with Rempe at MSG is just wrong. I know he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I know he entertains the Rangers fans, but in my opinion it is just emberassing and wrong. The crowd is instigating Rempe to do something violent and stupid because he dont understand it himself and goes with the crowd. But this is just my opinion, dont shoot me!
He doesn't understand? Of course he understands, yes he's a 21 year old kid but he's a home-grown draft product that is just getting his feet wet in this league to be a 4th line utility player. I don't know what's so hard for the majority of people to realize with Matt Rempe and how he's been utilized thus far since that Stadium Series game, he's not a lobotomized sideshow jester and he's certainly done more for the club in this short time than Reaves ever did in his entire NYR tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad